Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the worst serial killer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I can't fathom how they didn't notice tbh. Wasn't there body parts in the fridge or cooking on the stove also at the time? Everyone says the smell of death in unmistakable and it is. Once there was a dead rat in the bushes in my garden and I knew right away something was dead in there despite never smelling it before. You'd think police officers would be more observant.

I think the guy who escaped only to be sent back had a brother who was also killed by Dahmer too.
    It absolutely is and you wouldn't not notice it, which it why I think reports that he had parts cooking on the stove have been added into folklore. That poor young lad was a victim not only of Dahmer but also of the times. Back then there was no such thing as rape within marriage and sexual abuse of children went largely unreported. People didn't talk about sex openly the way we do now and the concept of paedophiles didn't exist.

There was a horrible case in the 60's in Australia about the three Beaumont children who went missing while on a trip to the beach. They were 9, 7 and 4. At the time is was socially acceptable to expect the 9 year old to be responsible for the younger siblings. People only thought about physical dangers such as crossing the road or getting hit by the bus. They didn't realise the biggest danger to kids was other adults.

During the 70's and 80's there still wasn't a huge focus on the dangers of serial killers/paedophiles. They started getting media attention but it was still something that happened in other places, NIMBY. With the huge technological burst of the 90's, suddenly everyone was aware of just how dangerous other people can be and it could be your neighbour and that's when parents and police forces became hyper vigilant.

In this day and age there should be no circumstance in which a grown man can explain why he is in the company of an intoxicated minor. I'm not making excuses for him but I can see how he played the police. They were unfortunately for his victim, different times.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Something I always wondered was we get people like gangs who murder several people. Why are they not labeled serial killers? They kill multiple victims. The few high profile gangs we have in Ireland kill regularly and have done foe decades in some cases. Are they not serial killers?
    Technically yes but going by the commonly understood concept then no.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/the-superhuman-mind/201705/what-defines-serial-killer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Ipso wrote:
    Shankhill Butchers.

The I.R.A. and I.N.L.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Harold Shipman was awful, hundreds of victims...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Something I always wondered was we get people like gangs who murder several people. Why are they not labeled serial killers? They kill multiple victims. The few high profile gangs we have in Ireland kill regularly and have done foe decades in some cases. Are they not serial killers?

Interesting question so I had a google - Gang killings will usually be motivated by greed or revenge. Serial killers will have a deeper darker psychological motivation. That said, gangs can also have serial killers in their ranks:

https://files.policemag.com/374231/are-some-gang-members-serial-killers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Winston Churchill. Starved millions of Indians to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Oh would people **** off with "the IRA" and loyalist paramilitaries and politicians.

They know that's not what the thread is about but being edgy trumps all for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Oh would people **** off with "the IRA" and loyalist paramilitaries and politicians.

They know that's not what the thread is about but being edgy trumps all for some.

Can Hitler be included?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Joseph_McGhee

Good example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Surely the worst serial killer would be someone who hasn't killed anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

John Haigh, an English killer from the 1940s - he shot his victims, and disposed of their bodies in an acid bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

branie2 wrote: »
    John Haigh, an English killer from the 1940s - he shot his victims, and disposed of their bodies in an acid bath.

And got caught because Mrs Durand Deacon's dentures and gallstones hadn't dissolved if I remember correctly.

Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Peter Tobin is one evil twisted individual.

Beverly Allitt - the English nurse who murdered four children

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

George Joseph Smith aka the Brides in the Baths murderer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

xtal191 wrote: »
    Just read his Wiki

Pure evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I wonder how the Irish legal system would handle a serial killer. I can only imagine that it would be a dozen concurrent sentences.

• Advertisement

Aileen Wuornos

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're not killing for pleasure or for kicks.

Killing is part of their 'business' so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wonder how the Irish legal system would handle a serial killer. I can only imagine that it would be a dozen concurrent sentences.

The precedent is a Life sentence.

John Shaw has been in prison since September 1976. His partner in crime Geoff Evans received the same sentence and died without ever being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

+1 for Albert Fish. He was a real jerk :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Watched the Ted Bundy doc, found it scary that a seemingly normal educated person could become a deranged killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Watched the Ted Bundy doc, found it scary that a seemingly normal educated person could become a deranged killer.

Or you could look at it that a psychopath got himself an education, and it's less scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Mao.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

timthumbni wrote: »
    What about Sawney Bean?

Second post...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Jhon Jairo Veluez Vuez aka Popeye, Pablo Escobar's most loyal sicario (assassin) - claimed to have killed over 3000 people. Surely that figure has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but still he has to be up there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jairo_Vel%C3%A1squez
    SeaFields wrote: »

I always find him to be a bit of a bullsh!t artist to be honest. All the interviewing he does, acting, etc. No doubt he killed people but I hate that self promoting crap about how bad he was.

Yeah, most estimates are that the Medellin cartel killed about 3000 people. He can't have been doing all the work.

• Advertisement

Dennis Nielsen, the British version of Jeffrey Dahmer, before Dahmer became infamous

Advertisement