Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the worst serial killer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

It's hard to understand alright. It'll like they're attracted to extreme bad boys with an infamous level of "celebrity". They're stuck behind bars and unattainable so these women probably feel if they get their attention they have the control then? I dunno, it's just very bizarre.

"Generally the women are decent, well-meaning and it is easy to see why they find their relationships fulfilling. Their boyfriends spend their days exercising and their evenings writing letters and poems or trying to phone home. They are more compliant and attentive than they would be on the outside because the women send money, pay for their legal representation and afford them the tremendous parole advantage of a permanent address. Women with imprisoned partners have limited contact and need never move beyond this courting stage. The intense desire for each other need never translate to the ordinariness of sex and marriage."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjIwqOLoq3gAhWgQxUIHUMeCXMQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fheartiste.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F05%2F06%2Fhamster-of-the-month-3%2F&psig=AOvVaw2pEq7sYDFikZR6gw42HY_X&ust=1549754110601247

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

branie2 wrote: »
    I don't think he's really trans. Must be looking for attention.

I just think this gives real transgender people a bad name.

Labour MPs would disagree with you, there was a massive issue in Parliament when Tories refused to use the correct pronouns for Ms Huntley.

She's not doing it for any controversy .

She has recently asked for women's clothes, dresses , blouses, tights etc.

These have been delivered to her without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

After reading about many of the names here I am going to lay my card's on the table and say Fred West. The wiki is a thing of horrors. To have included his own children. Jesus Christ. And didn't have the courage to face it - took his own life while on remand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Labour MPs would disagree with you, there was a massive issue in Parliament when Tories refused to use the correct pronouns for Ms Huntley.

She's not doing it for any controversy .

She has recently asked for women's clothes, dresses , blouses, tights etc.

These have been delivered to her without question.

I'm for transgender people, but I think Ian Huntley is faking it, and the pronoun "he" applies in this context

Mary Bell, who killed two little boys when she was ten. This was over thirty years before the Jamie Bulger killing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Has anyone mentioned Charles Manson and his depraved gang?

Murdered Sharon Tate and her friends.

Then murdered the La Biancas

Murdered is probably too soft a word. 'Butchered' would be more appropriate.

Manson is dead, but some of the younger ones are coming out on parole. He had the talent to mesmerise people.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Charles Manson and his depraved gang?

Murdered Sharon Tate and her friends.

Then murdered the La Biancas

Murdered is probably too soft a word. 'Butchered' would be more appropriate.

Manson is dead, but some of the younger ones are coming out on parole. He had the talent to mesmerise people.
    Did Manson ever personnally commit a murder?

It's crazy how he could influence his young followers to commit such heinous crimes.

The control he had over them. It's terrifying.

Don't think Dahmer could be considered as one of the worst.

He expressed remorse for his actions.

That interview with him and his Dad is so sad. That man drove hundreds of miles to see his son every month.

Unconditional love . A trait every parent should possess.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

That interview with him and his Dad is so sad. That man drove hundreds of miles to see his son every month.

I have to agree with this, I felt so sorry for his dad Lionel, seemed like a really decent man and good father that couldn’t understand why his son turned out that way, even Dahmer in those interviews cqme across so polite and reserved I felt sympathy for him but then you think of what he did to his victims and you think hang on how the hell could he carry out such brutality, he did appear to be genuinely remorseful, its hard to square what he did to how he behaved in interviews but there was obviously a very well hidden dark side

Lionel even wrote a book about his son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's hard to understand alright. It'll like they're attracted to extreme bad boys with an infamous level of "celebrity". They're stuck behind bars and unattainable so these women probably feel if they get their attention they have the control then? I dunno, it's just very bizarre.

It is so difficult to pinpoint the factors in somebody's background or upbringing that could foster a propensity to kill repeatedly. Could it be a single traumatic event or a sustained pattern of abuse or some kind of emotional deprivation or retardation or inherited personality traits. Bundy would be a case in point from what I have read about his childhood which seemed to be unorthodox but not abnormal in most aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

chicorytip wrote: »
    It is so difficult to pinpoint the factors in somebody's background or upbringing that could foster a propensity to kill repeatedly. Could it be a single traumatic event or a sustained pattern of abuse or some kind of emotional deprivation or retardation or inherited personality traits. Bundy would be a case in point from what I have read about his childhood which seemed to be unorthodox but not abnormal in most aspects.

Do you think with Bundy the fact that his father was unknown played a bigger part than he wanted to admit, was there deep seethed anger there because his father didn’t stick around,I know he discounted it having an effect but I do wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Not sure if this woman has been mentioned but I heard about her recently and she seems be one of the most prolific and sadistic serial killers in history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelia_Dyer

Her name was Amelia Dyer and even the old photo of her on that Wikipedia page above looks like something from a horror movie.

She was a trained nurse and turned to something called "baby farming" (adopting unwanted children in exchange for money usually to be returned to their mothers at an older age) after her husband died. She had a number of children die under her care and soon began to actively murder them. She was doing this for approximately twenty years and eventually had twelve murders proved to have been committed by her but the actual number of murders was estimated to be between 200 and 400 infants.
    She seems as pure an embodiment of evil as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Calltocall wrote: »
    I have to agree with this, I felt so sorry for his dad Lionel, seemed like a really decent man and good father that couldn’t understand why his son turned out that way, even Dahmer in those interviews cqme across so polite and reserved I felt sympathy for him but then you think of what he did to his victims and you think hang on how the hell could he carry out such brutality, he did appear to be genuinely remorseful, its hard to square what he did to how he behaved in interviews but there was obviously a very well hidden dark side

Dahmer as a kid was essentially ignored and abandoned by his parents, his dad left his mother and she did the same taking his younger sibling, leaving him all alone just after turning 18.

Dahmer was also an alcoholic as a teenager, drinking before, during and after school, this was unforgivably missed by his parents.

It was six weeks after Dahmer committed his first murder that his father decided to turn up at the house with his new girlfriend to discover him living alone, all this doesn't paint the picture of a good caring father or person IMO.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did Manson ever personnally commit a murder?

It's crazy how he could influence his young followers to commit such heinous crimes.

The control he had over them. It's terrifying.
    If you're including influencers then you have to include Jim Jones and David Koresh.
    Also worth looking at is the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Koresh
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_for_the_Restoration_of_the_Ten_Commandments_of_God

Brendan O'Donnell. He was a man you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Calltocall wrote:
    Do you think with Bundy the fact that his father was unknown played a bigger part than he wanted to admit, was there deep seethed anger there because his father didn’t stick around,I know he discounted it having an effect but I do wonder

In his interviews with police and psychiatrists he was deliberately obtuse and gave no indications as to possible motivation. It has been suggested that rejection by a long term girlfriend could have triggered something but he appears to have become disturbed when a very young child.

branie2 wrote: »
    Brendan O'Donnell. He was a man you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of.

Ah no it wasnt that black and white, that man had mental health issues since he was a very young child, everybody washed their hands off him and he never received the help he needed and deserved. There's a good book written about him called "a tragedy waiting to happen" by brothers Tony and JJ Muggivan. Tony was a neighbour of his who tried to help him and was the only person he trusted( Brendan's dad turned his back on him when he displayed abnormal behaviour) and JJ Muggivan is a mental health expert as far as I remember. Both men clearly believe that Brendan was let down by the mental health service at the time. It's a very very sad story for all concerned, for that beautiful woman and her little baby son and the kind priest who tried to help, but I don't believe he killed them in cold blood. He had severe mental health issues which went ignored and untreated and ultimately led to horrid events.

Ah no it wasnt that black and white, that man had mental health issues since he was a very young child, everybody washed their hands off him and he never received the help he needed and deserved. There's a good book written about him called "a tragedy waiting to happen" by brothers Tony and JJ Muggivan. Tony was a neighbour of his who tried to help him and was the only person he trusted( Brendan's dad turned his back on him when he displayed abnormal behaviour) and JJ Muggivan is a mental health expert as far as I remember. Both men clearly believe that Brendan was let down by the mental health service at the time. It's a very very sad story for all concerned, for that beautiful woman and her little baby son and the kind priest who tried to help, but I don't believe he killed them in cold blood. He had severe mental health issues which went ignored and untreated and ultimately led to horrid events.

I read that book, and I agree that it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Lawrence Singleton - suspected of more than the one murder he was convicted of as well as an absolutely horrific rape and mutilation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Has John Wayne Gacy been mentioned yet? His Wikipedia page is horrific to read! He sexually assaulted, tortured and murdered at least 33 teenage boys and young men between 1972 and 1978 in Illinois. He buried a lot of the victims in the crawl space in his house!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Irish94 wrote: »
    Has John Wayne Gacy been mentioned yet? His Wikipedia page is horrific to read! He sexually assaulted, tortured and murdered at least 33 teenage boys and young men between 1972 and 1978 in Illinois. He buried a lot of the victims in the crawl space in his house!

He dressed up as a clown and done the entertainment for kid's birthday parties - pogo the clown was his stage name :eek:

And he was photographed with Rosalynn Carter, the wife of US President Jimmy Carter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Had he been born twenty years earlier, he would have been in an asylum and three people would be alive, the liberals who advocated closing down the old mental hospitals forgot that some people are worse free

Totally agree with this. My babysitter/childminder was a neighbour of his, his own family was completely dysfunctional - she said he used to come to their house and ask if he could sleep, during the day, as he had no peace at home. She used to go to court to support him - not because what he did was ever excusable but because he was unquestionably insane, he had a devastating mental illness which is what led to his actions.

I haven't looked up the details of the case, but my recollection from childhood is that O'Donnell was essentially paraded around various district courts prior to his trial, and big crowds gathered to get a glimpse of him. It must have been like 19th century criminal trials, which were sometimes ticketed affairs. All a bit obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The British Empire (take a second to think about it)

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Had he been born twenty years earlier, he would have been in an asylum and three people would be alive, the liberals who advocated closing down the old mental hospitals forgot that some people are worse free

I'm not going to get into a debate about mental health services with you because this isn't the correct forum but I hope none of your loved ones ever suffer from schizophrenia or other such psychotic disorders if that's your solution, lock them away out of sight. To hell with human rights, lets try the good old fashioned Irish solution.

If Brendan O Donnell had received the treatment he needed thing might have been different, and he was eventually shut away and died mysteriously, but that's another story.

I'm not going to get into a debate about mental health services with you because this isn't the correct forum but I hope none of your loved ones ever suffer from schizophrenia or other such psychotic disorders if that's your solution, lock them away out of sight. To hell with human rights, lets try the good old fashioned Irish solution.

If Brendan O Donnell had received the treatment he needed thing might have been different, and he was eventually shut away and died mysteriously, but that's another story.

We were wrong to shut away people with mental illness, in what were effectively prisons. I've seen some statistics that have suggested we incarcerated more people for mental illness per head of population than the Soviet Union did its actual prisoners.

But let's not kid ourselves - the move to (barely existant) "community care" was done because of the enormous expense of physical detainment, and not for altruistic or philosophical reasons.

I know more about schizophrenia than I'd like to discuss on a forum such as this, but those living with the illness lack much insight into the concept of their liberty, they often already live under the weight of a belief that they are being oppressed or targeted. To them, this belief is completely real, and it's just as devastating as if it were real.

So whilst there were obvious problems with the old system, I think we should revisit the idea of some form of hybrid of community living and permanent residence in a mental health facility. Simply putting former patients into the community and having them fend for themselves is an abandonment of their needs, it lacks empathy and ethics.

A close relative of mine is in state care and is doing very well, for years this person was a threat to his immediate family and surrounding community. Guards involved and thankfully no one was badly hurt physically

Liberals are dangerous when it comes to this issue, it was once too easy to place someone in care but it's been far too difficult for about thirty years, it's one of the key contributors to homelessness

• Advertisement

We were wrong to shut away people with mental illness, in what were effectively prisons. I've seen some statistics that have suggested we incarcerated more people for mental illness per head of population than the Soviet Union did its actual prisoners.

But let's not kid ourselves - the move to (barely existant) "community care" was done because of the enormous expense of physical detainment, and not for altruistic or philosophical reasons.

I know more about schizophrenia than I'd like to discuss on a forum such as this, but those living with the illness lack much insight into the concept of their liberty, they often already live under the weight of a belief that they are being oppressed or targeted. To them, this belief is completely real, and it's just as devastating as if it were real.

So whilst there were obvious problems with the old system, I think we should revisit the idea of some form of hybrid of community living and permanent residence in a mental health facility. Simply putting former patients into the community and having them fend for themselves is an abandonment of their needs, it lacks empathy and ethics.

"care in the community" is driven by liberal ideology and nothing else, it's got nothing to do with economics and many medical professionals themselves oppose it but it gives a priceless smug sense of righteousness to the PC brigade who view the denial of freedom to someone deeply deranged as a worse outrage than the killing of an innocent and a few times each year, someone is killed by these unwell people, usually a close relative, rte of course have completely created a narative that placing anyone in an institution is an unconditional wrong, they gave a large platform to that idiot Mary raferty for years to spout ideology on the subject

Some people cannot manage in the free world and it's cruel to think that these unfortunate people's immediate family have the skills to deal with them.

Advertisement