Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

'Harmonie' snow depth prediction for tomorrow:

6vJc1p3.png

Keep in mind that west Connacht and west Munster are not covered by this model data on this particular site.

Regardless, I think tomorrow's weather can be summed up quite easily: Dirty, damp, cold and grim. Front not active enough to be interesting, but some random falling snow in places.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Beautiful sunny day here all day just outside Gorey in co Wexford .Will we get any snow at all do you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Already below freezing now at coastal Meath. Earliest frost I have seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

diceyd wrote: »
    Off topic, I hit that full site option, I can't get back to the weather threads, except this one, even the boards options and threads look different, any help would be great

Yeah, same as...... stuck on this all day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-1.0c atm in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Vxlkss

"Some sleet and snow likely tomorrow evening and early night. " - Greater Dublin Area.

If you look at MET OFFICE's prediction on the low's track, for a time tomorrow night (around 1-6AM) the wind direction from the storm turns NE which (as shows on the graphics) piles snow-streamers straight into Dublin.

Any thought's on this anyone?

Here's the Met Office predicted chart
    https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1090575282346569728

Maybe we'll finally get our first snowfall of 2019 tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

diceyd wrote: »
    Off topic, I hit that full site option, I can't get back to the weather threads, except this one, even the boards options and threads look different, any help would be great

Yeah, same as...... stuck on this all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

You are normally better at the dates, so don't ask me :)

I think it may have been late Nov or early Dec, that's about the best I can do. :o Turned to frozen slush & black ice that lasted days afterwards. Horrible weather.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Klara Finkele has just put then doubt to bed there now and said rain, preceded by sleet and snow on high ground, with accumulations on mountains. No mention of snow at low levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Klara Finkele has just put then doubt to bed there now and said rain, preceded by sleet and snow on high ground, with accumulations on mountains. No mention of snow at low levels.

I'd settle for a flake of sleet at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Vxlkss wrote: »
    "Some sleet and snow likely tomorrow evening and early night. " - Greater Dublin Area.

If you look at MET OFFICE's prediction on the low's track, for a time tomorrow night (around 1-6AM) the wind direction from the storm turns NE which (as shows on the graphics) piles snow-streamers straight into Dublin.

Any thought's on this anyone?

Here's the Met Office predicted chart
    https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1090575282346569728

Maybe we'll finally get our first snowfall of 2019 tomorrow! :D

Looks like some potential streamer activity for the east coast on Friday am?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Does that include Thursday night/Friday morning?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Couldn't resist doing this after the pub last night!

IMG-20190129-233915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vxlkss

sideswipe wrote: »
    Looks like some potential streamer activity for the east coast on Friday am?

Yeah it seems it might actually happen, and with Met Eireann's forecast it seems they're seeing it that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Will be interesting to see what the ECM says in its run now, Its out now but I can't currently check.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

I'd wager a bet now that the forecast after the 6 News will be different and mention low level sleet and snow tomorrow. Their forecasts can be very inconsistent at times!

I'd wager a bet now that the forecast after the 6 News will be different and mention low level sleet and snow tomorrow. Their forecasts can be very inconsistent at times!

Yeah the spoken and written website forecasts can be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Does that include Thursday night/Friday morning?!

She just said very cold again tomorrow night but went no further.

For tomorrow's snow she said higher ground in Connacht, Leinster and inland parts of west Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭lolie

Will be interesting to see what the ECM says in its run now, Its out now but I can't currently check.

8am, 12pm and 5pm tomorrow

471737.png
    471738.png
    471739.png

She just said very cold again tomorrow night but went no further.

For tomorrow's snow she said higher ground in Connacht, Leinster and inland parts of west Munster.

It will be interesting to see how far north this front makes it. Uk Met office also very unsure how far north it will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

-2.2c here now which it makes it the coldest night of the winter so far! I wonder will I beat the -5.4c recorded during the snow in Feb 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

It will be interesting to see how far north this front makes it. Uk Met office also very unsure how far north it will go.

with a very cold night preceding the arrival of this system and no significant warm front you'd like to think they have got this wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

All I can say is it will be some laugh if Met Eireann are proven to have been over cautious and half of Ireland gets buried!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

All I can say is it will be some laugh if Met Eireann are proven to have been over cautious and half of Ireland gets buried!

Well the models have been wrong all winter so maybe they’re wrong with this!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temperatures are nose-diving here, just nudging -2c here now in South Laois.

temp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Yeah, my kid's school too (in Cork suburb). They got burned this morning as many kids couldn't get in until around 11am but there is highly unlikely to be any issue tomorrow morning in Cork city. Friday morning more likely (relatively) to be an issue from back edge snow.

I think the lack of making a call one way or another causes issues for parents and employers. Employers want to know who will definitely be unavailable so they can plan coverage levels for work that has to happen. Waiting and seeing means no-one can make plans.

At least erring on the cautionary side means individuals can communicate that they plan to be unavailable (e.g. because they are covering childcare). For our staff it allows us to identify who will be in the office vs out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Just outside Limerick City

Fog in places

0°C

The dew points seem against us down here anyway!! (North Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if the ice expected tomorrow morning is likely to have melted by 1pm or 2pm or so? Or are daytime temps going to be too low for it to melt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Very light mist drizzel type stuff falling here now

Advertisement