Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

donal.hunt wrote: »
    I think the lack of making a call one way or another causes issues for parents and employers. Employers want to know who will definitely be unavailable so they can plan coverage levels for work that has to happen. Waiting and seeing means no-one can make plans.

At least erring on the cautionary side means individuals can communicate that they plan to be unavailable (e.g. because they are covering childcare). For our staff it allows us to identify who will be in the office vs out of it.

This is class...

https://youtu.be/rVbzBNxNrqw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dont think ME have got it wrong...based on the models that is :p, the uppers are meant to rise with the incoming system causing temps to rise slightly (think thats it anyway). I think it will be more of a sleety mix rather then pure rain in Cork but it won't be snow anyway, thats if the system isn't further south then predicted though.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

littlema wrote: »
    Yeah, same as...... stuck on this all day.
    diceyd wrote: »
    Off topic, I hit that full site option, I can't get back to the weather threads, except this one, even the boards options and threads look different, any help would be great

If you scroll down to bottom of the page you will see a list of contents.
    Click on “legacy” site and you get a mini-computer site which you can read sideways or maximise each post. A pain, but it’s better than nothing.
    Mods may help us yet!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This will be an interesting event.

Will it go like:

- Christmas Day 2009: Very cold air in situ, freezing rain event.
    - December 10th 2017: Starts off as very heavy rain, turns to snow and inland areas end up with around 5cm.
    - March 21st 2017: Heavy wet snow with 8cm all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork Airport predicting freezing fog here tonight, could cause even more dangerous conditions if it happens and comes down to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Looks like Dublin is not going to get any action then?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Danno wrote: »
    Christmas Day 2009: Very cold air in situ, freezing rain event.

Was just thinking about that and all the current temp reports on here. Cold, or very cold, in advance of front arriving, does not = snow.
    December 10th 2017: Starts off as very heavy rain, turns to snow.

For Dublin (at least) I am going for this. Rain to sleet to snow. Away from high ground, probably not much settling of snow.

Intensity of ppn will be important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

https://youtu.be/-Rt3RBWGzO8

Not even 12 months ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

This will be an interesting event.

Will it go like:

- Christmas Day 2009: Very cold air in situ, freezing rain event.
    - December 10th 2017: Starts off as very heavy rain, turns to snow and inland areas end up with around 5cm.
    - March 21st 2017: Heavy wet snow with 8cm all the way through.

4th scenario where it just rains and we see very little snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Was just thinking about that and all the current temp reports on here. Cold, or very cold, in advance of front arriving, does not = snow.

For Dublin (at least) I am going for this. Rain to sleet to snow. Away from high ground, probably not much settling of snow.

Intensity of ppn will be important too.

We might be just high enough though Doc ....... 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Just checked the Euro4 too and it does look like hills and mountains with accumulations, a very messy cold rain, sleet affairs for the majority. Also even though temperatures are dropping well now, that wind will shift any cold surface layer easy. Close but no cigar unfortunately.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BTW, of course I hope I am wrong....I would hope for blizzardly conditions all day and all night! :p

-1.5c atm in Dublin 16.

kittyn wrote: »
    We might be just high enough though Doc ....... 😉

Hopefully! You probably have better chance of seeing snow than me, as you have a bit more altitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Met hedging their bets there on RTE. Rain, sleet and snow.

Whenever I hear that though it’s nearly always rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very little detail from Jean, though northern Midlands and Connacht look most likely for low level snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Looking at the rte forecast there, it seems the BBC forecast at 6.15 this morning was fairly spot on for tomorrow, mostly rain with some sleet or snow on high ground in places

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

After that 18:55 forecast from Jean you would think what all the fuss is about or should there have ever been any fuss in the first place, let alone orange or red warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

Very little detail from Jean, though northern Midlands and Connacht look most likely for low level snow.

“Rain certainly along south and east coasts”

Snow on hills and mountains but at times at lower levels especially midlands and inland Connaught. Jean Byrne

diceyd wrote: »
    Off topic, I hit that full site option, I can't get back to the weather threads, except this one, even the boards options and threads look different, any help would be great

Go down to where you clicked on full site. It should now say touch site. Click that, then click main boards header and you’re back to how it was.

Any time you want to post a pic or YouTube, you have to go to full site again, do the do then click back to touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The dream is all but overly (for most),sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Vxlkss

Okay now this is interesting, Met Eireann show Snow for Dublin come 12AM friday, with rain/sleet/snow showers 12PM Thursday.. it's going to be a very interesting day tomorrow.:pac:

https://gyazo.com/13d47dd4e548e5cc5ca0dad3c77ca918

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Totally at odds with their online forecast... The graphic showed 100% rain everywhere and then the graphic showed snow in the East, South and West.
    No consistency at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Vxlkss wrote: »
    Okay now this is interesting, Met Eireann show Snow for Dublin come 12AM friday, with rain/sleet/snow showers 12PM Thursday.. it's going to be a very interesting day tomorrow.:pac:

The same Met E who just put the nail in the coffin on this one for Dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

When we get a good fall of snow in Connacht often times there is none in Leinster - that big snow you had last year and all we got were icicles and a light dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fog-Snow-Trees.jpg

Gatees-snow-sunset.jpg

Galtees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vxlkss

The same Met E who just put the nail in the coffin on this one for Dublin??

Honestly this so confusing lmao:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

Vxlkss wrote: »

Yes, what I am very interested in is if Dublin gets snow showers tomorrow night and Friday morning. Might lead to some small accumulations Friday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

See ye next year lads 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BTW, of course I hope I am wrong....I would hope for blizzardly conditions all day and all night! :p

-1.5c atm in Dublin 16.

Luckily for you I went to Hogwarts - where's that wand... ah!
    <secret incantation redacted>
    And hey presto! - there you go.:

P3024717b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

We're going to be flat out on the snow tomorrow in Dublin ...

Advertisement