Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Why was Evelyn Cusack just on a news report saying she doesnt expect snow to stick?

Id say because seeing the guidance she has at her disposal and her professional opinion that it wont stick :D

My confidence has gone for the one im 70/30 against , I will see plenty of snow but in between the lashing rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That’s all meant to be snow?

Just shows where snow potential might be highest on this particular run, but don't take too much from it. This model (ECM) has performed particularly poorly this winter, so no doubt this evening's run will show a different scenario.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Just a few photos of the paps and derrynasagart mountains. Kerry/Cork border

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Villain wrote: »
    Also FYI if you want to see precip from Harmonie it is accessible via https://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/vejrkort/ but doesn't show type.

I'm sure I remember a similar event last winter, where all we got was cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Why was Evelyn Cusack just on a news report saying she doesnt expect snow to stick?

Latest Met Eireann update has snow accumulating only in mountainous areas. So probably ties in with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gone subzero here in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Met Éireann mentioning sleet and snow in the Dublin regional forecast. Will I manage to see my first snow since March 2018?

On another note, some of the ice in the shade never melted all day. It was a much needed beautiful sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm sure I remember a similar event last winter, where all we got was cold rain.

Me too, though it did snow heavily overnight. Can't remember was it Nov and Dec 2017.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

From my completely unprofessional opinion I would be very surprised if I don’t have falling snow at the least here tommorow. I would say 70/30 for lying snow in favour. how much is anyone’s guess. With this sort of set up historically I think the further west of the fronts you are the heavier and more consistent the snowfall seems to be. That’s why I feel it’s possible we could do ok from this

But what do I know😂 Rathmore... cork/Kerry border 150 metres asl

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Clare should get some dusting, it thawed out quickly today.
    But anything facing south seems to be still frozen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Casement now gone to -0.1 °C at 5 pm, Dublin Airport +0.2°C. These are the two coldes stations in the country. That cloud shield is still a ways out in the Atlantic so a few more hours of cooling to come this evening, though less in the west. It's a fine line now between the depth of the cold surface layer overnight (depends on the cloud cover) and the increasing windspeeds tomorrow (mixing out of the surface layer cold). 12Z soundings are showing it just maybe slightly gone the wrong way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This could well be a snow/sleet to rain and back to snow event for many people. Mild sector makes it's way through much of the country tomorrow, then turning colder again later tomorrow night. The Back edge of this front likely to fall as snow, but it could be too late by then for lying snow in some places.

Hirlam is almost nationwide rainfall with snow limited to high ground, only turns to snow as the front is clearing the country in the south. The UK is in for a whiteout according to the Hirlam, they are favoured much better for snow than we are, with the exception of the south-west of England.

hirlamuk-1-28-0.png?30-17

Icon still pushes the front more to the south, with precipitation barely making it to Dublin, looks more snowy than the Hirlam.

iconeu_uk1-1-29-0.png?30-15

Dewpoints look poor for much of southern Ireland tomorrow with +2 to +4 values. It can't snow with a dewpoint above 0C.

12_24_ukdp.png?cb=419

Dewpoints fall back to 0C by 6am Friday, but this is still very knifedge territory.

12_42_ukdp.png?cb=419

Numerous schools all over Cork are not opening until 11am in the morning. Are they being over cautious or do they know something we dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Off topic, I hit that full site option, I can't get back to the weather threads, except this one, even the boards options and threads look different, any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭lolie

Temps dropping like a stone now here.
    The weather station outside showed +3c at 4pm, now showing -2 at 5.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Numerous schools all over Cork are not opening until 11am in the morning. Are they being over cautious or do they know something we dont?

That seems ridiculous, don't understand what that's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Down to 0 degrees now here in Cork City Suburbs, Bishopstown/Wilton area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Then soil temperatures at 10cm took in a 1.7c warming from all the sunshine during daylight.

At 9am it was reading 1.9c, this evening at sundown 3.8c. Interestingly the grass minimum was at -3.0c at sundown.

The ground is coming into play territory for holding on to any snow should it fall, in these parts anyways.

Should there be heavy rain instead of snow, there will be alot of spot flooding around as the soil won't soak up the surface water quickly following tonight's expected -5c freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Are there any expected windows of time for events tomorrow? I'm aware that the models are all over the place but how are the commute times looking in the Wicklow/Dublin area in terms of road conditions? I'm not expecting anyone to tell me if it will be snowing in my back garden at 7am obviously, but like 'snow expected in the GDR around 7am' would be great if anyone has an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway this morning
    1Gts5gH.jpg

qwHEkBB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

kod87 wrote: »
    That seems ridiculous, don't understand what that's all about.

Yeah, my kid's school too (in Cork suburb). They got burned this morning as many kids couldn't get in until around 11am but there is highly unlikely to be any issue tomorrow morning in Cork city. Friday morning more likely (relatively) to be an issue from back edge snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

-1/DP-2 at Dublin 1730

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Me too, though it did snow heavily overnight. Can't remember was it Nov and Dec 2017.

You are normally better at the dates, so don't ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Met Éireann mentioning sleet and snow in the Dublin regional forecast. Will I manage to see my first snow since March 2018?

On another note, some of the ice in the shade never melted all day. It was a much needed beautiful sunny day.

Maybe it's going to be one of those situations where the rain keeps turning to snow and back to rain. Happened here in Dublin a few years ago. Maybe January 2013? Definitely after 2010-11 but before 2015-16.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You are normally better at the dates, so don't ask me :)

December 10th 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Getting extremely cold here now - roads are deadly - not much of a defrost in the sun today and really deep in parts of the garden!

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah, my kid's school too (in Cork suburb). They got burned this morning as many kids couldn't get in until around 11am but there is highly unlikely to be any issue tomorrow morning in Cork city. Friday morning more likely (relatively) to be an issue from back edge snow.

Yeah the hirlam has a lot of back edge precipitation is the south Thursday night/ Friday morning. Very hard to know until tomorrow what will happen with this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think most snow for lower levels will be restricted after dark tomorrow evening

-1.7c now in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Euro4 latest update just out continues to show accumulations for tomorrow into tomorrow night Friday morning, especially for Kerry.
    19020106_3006.gif

The latest Euro 4 is a downgrade on earlier.
    19013121_3012.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fantastic photo of cloud formations looking out over the Irish sea towards Wales. Not my photo but thought it be of interest on here.

https://www.facebook.com/200055098804/posts/10156958594268805/

Advertisement