Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Is Easter the most easterly day?

:pac: I know kill me.

Well Monkeynut, I can tell ya one thing, you certainly live up to your username :P

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

diceyd wrote: »
    That option not there anymore, display has all changed

The display looks different as you are on full site. Just scroll down to the bottom of page. It’s on the right hand side (responsive site) is furthest right.
    Click it and then scroll up and click the header that says boards so you get the screen to display in touch mode again.

I use iPhone, it is there.
    Sorry for been a pain that option not there, just says, back to forum,next thread or back to top

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

HIRLAM has done away completely with the idea of any streamers on the east coast

Sorry for been a pain that option not there, just says, back to forum,next thread or back to top

Below that bit :) over to the right

F47-A32-C5-1102-4240-89-B5-0-DC14-E397-F82.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

These ridiculous posts should lead to an automatic life time ban from the weather forum!! Is Jan 30 ffs!!

I'd agree if it was the start of January.......it's not, the models arent great up to next week (1st week of February), that leaves three weeks of winter. Given the way the season has gone, I wouldn't be holding out much hope!!!!!

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

HIRLAM has done away completely with the idea of any streamers on the east coast

It just gets better and better.......

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Upload the photos to a free online image hosting site. Copy and paste the links here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

derekon wrote: »
    .... I wouldn't be holding out much hope!!!!!

You don't say... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Below that bit :) over to the right

F47-A32-C5-1102-4240-89-B5-0-DC14-E397-F82.jpg
    My display has completely changed from that, again sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gone to -3.0c here in South Laois.

Checked the Gmin at 7.45pm, it was an incredible -7.6c!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

derekon wrote: »
    So a total non event, hype upon hype all adding up to nothing. Oh well, wonder what winter 2019/2020 holds?

D

More hype upon hype...
    And some rooler coaster's just for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    May is the most easterly month on average.

The period between May 11th and May 17th is, on average (61-10) the least westerly period in Ireland.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Most places in Western Europe including most parts of lowland Germany only started getting some snow last week ffs!! And that's a fact...

Last year we had two BEASTS from the East in Dublin and parts of the South with loads of snow while Paris, Lille etc had practically nothing....We often get plenty of snow in February and March...and even in to April.

A north-westerly or westerly wind never brings snow to the far East of the country...never did, never will...however an East wind gives us plenty of snow.

That's just the way it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Saturday is ground hog day we could be in for a fair few more weeks of winter yet, what's our equivalent of this or do we need to start one. I leave it up to the weather gurus whether we should or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3692814/weather-map-14-inches-snow-pest-from-west/amp/

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019013000_62_949_215.png?strip=all&w=760

Sam Hamilton.. just a little message from angry boards users who feel they may not see snow..

282b93ffbdd027a05291d016e14bc0712b2f9ab2c33a60fb560a528b03913b0e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ffarrell7 wrote: »

A north-westerly or westerly wind never brings snow to the far East of the country...never did, never will...however an East wind gives us plenty of snow.

That's just the way it is...

Well the way you put that first sentence is false, there have been situations where northwesterlies have brought snow to the far east of Ireland including 16 January last year and in January 1984, not prolonged lying snow mind you but it's still snow.

My display has completely changed from that, again sorry guys

I’ve sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

not sure how accurate ventusky is but it's predicting a lot of precipitation between 6am and 3pm for cork. thing is for this time period it's giving temperatures of 5-6 degrees, hence it's rain. if those temperatures are wrong though it'll be massive snowfall i reckon. it's freezing right now in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Anybody who mentions ventusky — hello Donald??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some of our higher elevation forum reporters will probably get 10-20 cm snow out of this. Lower down, sleety mixtures, mostly rain near the coasts. It continues to be a very marginal upper situation with a favorable track if stronger uppers had been in place. Will be interesting for those in Kerry who get into the cyclonic westerly portion of the storm for a time around mid-afternoon (low centre will track southeast across Kerry into southwest Cork then out to sea again).

I will put up some detailed forecasts later when I have more time. Results of this event will be quite varied from place to place, so location and elevation are key to your results. I think the rain-snow line starts at 50m early on, rises to 200m mid-event then comes back down to sea level. You could use that vs timing of precip at your location to get a rough idea of the rain-sleet-snow mixtures likely at your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS is the ideal for the east coast. Dublin perfectly positioned in the northerly extent of the front (though exact positioning could vary quite a bit at the time).

Starting off early afternoon with a mix of rain sleet and snow

24-574UK.GIF?30-12

Then just kind of bobbing around for the afternoon - the snow on the northern edge

30-574UK.GIF?30-12

Then the push north and snow for the evening

33-574UK.GIF?30-12

The temperature profile over the Irish sea is ok but once you are in to the 5c + it's getting very ropey for snow at that stage. Wind strength has a big part to play too. We want it as slack as possible.

24-580UK.GIF?30-12

30-602UK.GIF?30-12

On the edge but definitely a risk for Dublin particularly later in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The reality is that not even the most expert, maybe Gerry ... but the most talented ppl have looked at this, its a mix —— if the lobes of vorticity arrive its ok

If I'm reading the charts right I'd say we have a good chance of some snow in Co Kilkenny tomorrow afternoon??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Those GFS precipitation type charts are singularly the least reliable of anything you could click on meteociel, though.
    Well, maybe except the Japanese model.

So massive bucketloads of salt when looking at the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Netatmo weather station showing -1 dp -3 .. only have it a month first time it's gone below 0 .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Down to -3.7c on the AWS here now in South Laois. I suspect the manual thermometer is quite close to -4c going by experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sdanseo wrote: »
    Those GFS precipitation type charts are singularly the least reliable of anything you could click on meteociel,
    So massive bucketloads of salt when looking at the above.

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not the biggest fan of Meteociel's graphical representation but in my experience the GFS indicative precip charts are very good, that's why I use them.

I prefer it to Hirlam and that's a higher resolution model.

For GFS NMM is King :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

It’s bitterly cold in North Cork tonight. Was -1 at 6pm. Have the heating on full belt since 630 and it’s still freezing in the house. The snow in my estate didn’t thaw today so I guess the roads and footpaths are going to be fun in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

IMO AROME the least likely Hi Res model to over do it.

What I think :

Some significant accumulations of snow on high ground , mountain areas.

Quite windy along coasts for a time, breezy /windy overland.

Wintry mix for a lot of areas, hit and miss but possibly turning back more to snow towards evening in places.

High precipitation levels along the S , SE possible leading to some spot flooding

Snow across the country on more elevated hilly ground which could start accumulating later in the evening .

SE / W could see the most snow perhaps and could snow in the SE into the evening / night.

Cold night to follow so snow could be on the ground by Fri morning with icy roads in places, again more so on hilly ground.

We will see.

anim_jic1.gif

anim_epf7.gif

aromehd-56-42-0_ycn5.png

anim_paq0.gif

anim_kiz3.gif

aromehd-25-42-0_hje9.png

895fquF.png

ksV15Zs.png

Do8M13r.png

Advertisement