Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Yep, I was told metallic was 600 extra.

In terms of refinement, it's nicer when you sit in as you have leather seats, upgraded trim, electric seat for the driver (tho not passenger!) etc.

In terms of driving it's almost the same, the steering is a little lighter which I like, but it is noticeably a little slower on the uptake when you floor it which is a shame! It still goes and is nice an smooth, just seems a bit slower than the classic Ioniq.

Thanks for that, it's certainly a car that is worth considering for us, but not unless the price works.
    Power wise I would compare it to an average 2L Diesel, but a lot smoother. Not as good as my Honda Civic petrol (182hp) but quite adequate. I felt the car was throttled at slow speed pickup to avoid wheel spin, but there was a nice surge after that. I noticed the car glided along effortlessly with very little power imput with the regen at zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Extremely complementary and played down the charge speed thing.

I really wonder if they are afraid to saying anything negative in their reviews for fear of not getting cars to review as they get the cars on loan from dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,017 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    Extremely complementary

What makes you say that? She doesn't like the looks of it and both agreed it is pricey. The rest seems a fair assessment of the car. Ioniq is after all a very competent and extremely efficient EV. They claim they easily did a 140 mile (225km) motorway trip at 75MPH in brutal winter weather. That compares to 166km in the 28kWh car. Which is about right, but a bit on the optimistic side. I'd say there's no chance they did 75MPH all the way.

What they got wrong is their claim the acceleration isn't great. No, it isn't you idiots if you don't drive in sport mode. The exact same mistake they made when they reviewed the classic 28kWh :rolleyes:
    played down the charge speed thing

They don't give any figures, they didn't share their experiences, they only thing they said is:

"plenty of rapid charging, which, contrary to public belief, isn't slow at all"

Without any more specifics. While we all know its fast charging is poor (compared to the previous model). They did something similar "playing down" in your words the #rapidgate issue with the Leaf. Not sure why, maybe their expectations of fast charging are just low and they don't mind spending an hour at a fast charger? I really don't know. It's a strange one.
    I really wonder if they are afraid to saying anything negative in their reviews for fear of not getting cars to review as they get the cars on loan from dealers.

The garage that they took the loan from is a main dealer for both Nissan and Hyundai (and Kia and MG - they probably bought their private car, an MG ZS EV there). And they would both take the Ioniq over the Leaf. That's neither a good or bad reflection of the garage. Doesn't seem to be an issue to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    What makes you say that?

I felt overall they were very complementary to the car. They didnt knock it for much and eventhough they mentioned price they still said it was better than other EV's.

I'm just saying it was very different to some of the other reviews/opinions that people give on the car around this forum. Not saying I agree or disagree with either side as I havent driven it!

What they got wrong is their claim the acceleration isn't great. No, it isn't you idiots if you don't drive in sport mode. The exact same mistake they made when they reviewed the classic 28kWh :rolleyes:

They mentioned sport mode but I guess their comparison is the Model S they had so its hardly going to be up to that level.

They don't give any figures, they didn't share their experiences, they only thing they said is:

Thats the point... they played it down. A more objective version of that would be something along the lines of "its ok but much slower than the older Ioniq" rather than the rose tinted version they gave of "contrary to public belief, isn't slow at all".... that isnt really giving the viewer the real state of affairs, is it.

We've seen this car charge slower than a rapidgating leaf. A proper review should have been more open on that topic.

Its somewhat dawned on me now that their reviews are not very specific on facts and figures but more about how they feel about a car and how it works for them in their daily lives.... which is fine too. Its not like they are reviewing a performance car.

They mentioned sport mode but I guess their comparison is the Model S they had so its hardly going to be up to that level.

Nah that's not it. They mention sport mode (as they did with the 28kWh) but somehow they don't use it (again same as with their review of the 28kWh). And duh, if you don't use sport mode, the acceleration of the Ioniq is nothing to write home about (similar to eGolf and Leaf24/30)

The issue with them is that they are never very criticial of any EV that they review, are they? They were about the only one in the YT sphere back two years ago who totally played down #rapidgate. At the time I thought there might have been some sort of agenda involved in that, but now I'm not so sure

"All EVs are great" seems to be their motto!

They outdid themselves a few times, by actually buying the MG ZS EV. And of course by telling us they preferred the Nissan Leaf 40kWh to their Tesla Model S :p
    Its somewhat dawned on me now that their reviews are not very specific on facts and figures but more about how they feel about a car and how it works for them in their daily lives....

Yeah there is that. I agree that's fine, but a lot of what they say is presented as fact. Where in some cases those "facts" are completely opposite of the real facts as demonstrated to us by other YT-ers like Nyland etc. who actually show us the charging rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Which is total BS.
    Kramer wrote: »
    2Kz2bKX.jpg

32 minutes today to add 40% charge, averaging just 29kW.
    That was in the battery "sweet spot" SOC - adding another 40% would take another hour :eek:.

It really is soul destroying looking at a car tapering to just 22kW on a fast DC charger. A car with a liquid cooled battery on a 10 celcius day.

XINQ4yt.jpg

NKHlaEL.jpg

At 50/51%, it starts slowing................:rolleyes:.

It's obvious they didn't want to disparage the car lest they upset the dealer or, indeed, Hyundai. They need free cars to keep their youtube clicks coming ;).

Regarding the acceleration - the new car is largely detuned on initial acceleration - it's initially slower than the old Ioniq in that regard, regardless of modes selected. It feels decidedly slower in fact.

There's loads to like about both iterations of the Ioniq & if priced right, it's still a great car,

But it could have been so, so much better :o.

The battery temp is unknown, at 10 Deg C the battery won't be near warm enough to allow full current, but that was ambient temp, the battery temp cold have been that or a bit lower. The lower, the slower simple as that.

The 38 Kwh Ioniq, Kona, E-soul and the 38 Kwh versions have thermal management but it doesn't as far as I'm aware heat the battery too fast, I've watched some of Bjorn's videos and the battery does take some time to warm up on a fast charger, perhaps not so long if the ambient temp is 10 deg C but it does take some time.

I don't know what App Bjorn uses but it might be worth while looking at his videos because even with winter mode or whatever the call it activated it is slow to warm up the battery.

They Hyundai/Kia electrics don't, ( to the best of my knowledge ) warm their batteries directly like the BMW i3 which only heats to 10 Deg C but if the battery is 5 or 6 deg C or if in a very cold country could be much lower, heating to 10 Deg C helps a lot.

I used to wonder why BMW stops the i3 Battery at 10 Deg C but It could be because if they heated it to 20 Deg C chances are it wouldn't take too long before it would have to be cooled again wasting energy but 20 Deg C would allow the i3 to charge at almost full power.

I noticed that with the battery at 10 deg C and setting off on a long drive on a very cold day that by the time I need to charge from 100% charge the battery will be plenty warm for full power at the charger.

However, if staying away from home on a cold night not plugged in and if the battery gets cold, charging the next day will be slow, I've seen 25 Kw at the fast charger when the battery is cold in the i3 94 Ah, that's half the power but it speeds up more as it warms a bit from charging but even then sometimes I've seen only 35 Kw when the battery is cold.

It would be good to watch Bjorn's videos on charging the E-Soul in the cold.

I don't know whether the E-soul, or kona etc heat the battery when plugged in charging on AC at home, Bjorns videos didn't show this but I would be interested if 38 Kwh ioniq or 64 Kwh Kona/ E-soul drivers could get this app and find this out for me please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

James and Kate are Muppets.
    Just watch uncle Bjorn.

It's obvious they didn't want to disparage the car lest they upset the dealer or, indeed, Hyundai. They need free cars to keep their youtube clicks coming ;)

I don't know why they are doing it. It doesn't help their credibility. And if you have no / diminished credibility, it won't be good for the number of clicks on your channel. I like them, but I stopped watching for a bit after their Nissan #rapidgate vid :(
    Regarding the acceleration - the new car is largely detuned on initial acceleration - it's initially slower than the old Ioniq in that regard, regardless of modes selected. It feels decidedly slower in fact.

There's loads to like about both iterations of the Ioniq & if priced right, it's still a great car,

But it could have been so, so much better :o.

I haven't driven it myself, but what you are reporting is consistent with almost all other reports I have seen. Yes, still a very good car, but a lot more expensive than the old one and apart from more range, it's mostly not a better car :(

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Mr. I love to hate but kinda love EVs, Bob Flavin is releasing a review on the 38 tomorrow it seems. "A backward step" he calls it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Video will be available at 11:15AM his synopsis is pretty damning
    I'm a big supporter of EV's and where we are going with the new range of electric models on the market but Hyundai has just updated the new Ioniq and managed to make it the worst car on the market today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

IOniq 28 was the best non tesla EV of its time
    Ioniq 38 should be ashamed to wear the IOniq nameplate

Also, James and Kate are, without doubt, the WORST youtubers to watch if you want anything other than a biased review. Remember they denied rapidgate was a thing, and were subsequently defeated in a short race by a LEaf 30!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can generally read between the lines even with bad or mistaken or biased feedback/reviews and get some useful information out of them. Often it's trival things that perhaps might be annoying only to some people.

liamog wrote: »
    Video will be available at 11:15AM

Not sure what that delay is about. It's not like some bloody important new product reveal now, is it? Cop on to yourself, Bob. :rolleyes:

Just started to watch it now. He's not doing himself any favours. One of the worst EVs he has driven? Really? Because the rear suspension is not fully independent? The 28kWh had the same torsion beam suspension as so do some of the best FWD drivers cars ever made like the Honda Civic Type-R. Not claiming the Ioniq is a great drivers car, but his dramatics are way over the top.

The USB port only provides 2W? I've never measured it but I very much doubt it is that low. Can someone test please? I know the 12V cigarette socket provides 180W

Brutally bad review. Not even any mention about the biggest drawback of this car: that fast charging in this new 38kWh model is a lot slower compared to the classic 28kWh model. No mention about range. Except a quick remark that he reckons there isn't much extra range in this model compared to the classic. Again without mentioning any figures. Another claim that can easily be proven wrong as most other reviews have done.

Just started to watch it now. He's not doing himself any favours. One of the worst EVs he has driven? Really? Because the rear suspension is not fully independent? The 28kWh had the same torsion beam suspension as so do some of the best FWD drivers cars ever made like the Honda Civic Type-R. Not claiming the Ioniq is a great drivers car, but his dramatics are way over the top.

The USB port only provides 2W? I've never measured it but I very much doubt it is that low. Can someone test please? I know the 12V cigarette socket provides 180W

My first thought was his USB cable is probably sub standard.

He really did give it an abusive review at the start there. Maybe it is that bad (given the price). All i've heard of late is:
    - seat is too high
    - dash is too reflective
    - price is too much
    - charging is too slow
    - it looks better than the old one (though I don't really agree with that - once you wrap the 28 grill)

Brutally bad review. Not even any mention about the biggest drawback of this car: that fast charging in this new 38kWh model is a lot slower compared to the classic 28kWh model. No mention about range. Except a quick remark that he reckons there isn't much extra range in this model compared to the classic. Again without mentioning any figures. Another claim that can easily be proven wrong as most other reviews have done.

He said 291km at 100%, didn't he?

It's an insult to the best EV of 2016-17, frankly
    I dont know why it annoys me so much, but I loved my Ioniq and its super fast DC speed and super efficiency.
    The new one is crap on both, in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Advertisement

""It's better in almost every way"?

Nonsense.
    It made a viable long distance car (look at Bjorn's 1000km challenge) into a city car

ELM327 wrote: »
    ""It's better in almost every way"?

Nonsense.
    It made a viable long distance car (look at Bjorn's 1000km challenge) into a city car

It's charges slower, which may be a big issue for some people.

In what oher ways is it worse than the old model?

It charges slower, is vastly more expensive than the outgoing model, is not as efficient as the outgoing model, while, offering only 20% more range as an upshot.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Where you hear that it's less efficient? Looks just as good in any of Bjorn's tests I thought, difference would be marginal at best. Model 3 barely edges it out for efficiency I think?

It charges slower, is vastly more expensive than the outgoing model, is not as efficient as the outgoing model, while, offering only 20% more range as an upshot.

Fair points but isn't it less efficient mainly due to having larger (heavier) battery?

Yes, but if you put that battery in the old drivetrain setup it would be more efficient.

They really should have only sold this in france and called it etron, as the local translation is apt

Yes, but if you put that battery in the old drivetrain setup it would be more efficient.

I'm not that familiar with the old drivetrain, so please explain why it would be more efficient.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I watched Bob's review at lunch there. He fairly gave it a kicking alright.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I'm not that familiar with the old drivetrain, so please explain why it would be more efficient.
    It's a different drivetrain. The "new and improved" ioniq is using the 39kWh Kona battery and drivetrain. Even by virtue of that it will be less efficient as the 39kWh battery has lower voltage.

This sounds like confirmation bias. Do you own one?

• Advertisement

It's a different drivetrain. The "new and improved" ioniq is using the 39kWh Kona battery and drivetrain. Even by virtue of that it will be less efficient as the 39kWh battery has lower voltage.

This sounds like confirmation bias. Do you own one?

No, I've got Model S. I wasn't aware of the lower voltage.

Advertisement