Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Looking at this car still.

There are better ones coming, but they are 6 to 12 months away with maybe delivery dates like "summer" etc. Maybe you'll get one, maybe you'll wait till 2021, who knows.

Could get the Ioniq tomorrow if I wanted. I've asked my Hyundai dealer if there any movement on the Ioniq price given the ID 3 will have 100kW charging, 58kWh battery etc for the same price. No reply yet ;)

At 32k base price and add in a scrappage deal, this would be a nice car. Not for 35k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

BigAl81 wrote: »
    There are better ones coming, but they are 6 to 12 months away with maybe delivery dates like "summer" etc. Maybe you'll get one, maybe you'll wait till 2021, who knows.

Thats the thing isnt it. And you could have said the same thing every year for the last 5 years... there is always a "better one coming".

You can sit and wait and end up never buying or just buy one that suits you today and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    Thats the thing isnt it. And you could have said the same thing every year for the last 5 years... there is always a "better one coming".

You can sit and wait and end up never buying or just buy one that suits you today and enjoy it.

BigAl81 owns a classic Ioniq, so he is fine for the moment :p

All of us BEV owners do look forward to upgrading our cars at some point though, right?

unkel wrote: »
    All of us BEV owners do look forward to upgrading our cars at some point though, right?

Absolutely, 2021 for me. I'll look at what's available at the time and buy the one that meets my needs.

I would hope that I wouldnt say that a "better one is coming" in 2022 and end up procrastinating. I might eat my words!

ID.3 and e208 are on my radar at present. Cant see much else coming at the moment in that segment. We coud probably do with a new thread on "Upcoming EV's in Ireland" showing whats coming in 2020 and 2021 and their confirmed specs.

Hopefully 2021 will finally be a good year for EVs. Plenty of cars becoming available in big numbers and for reasonable money. It will be your first brand new car so?

• Advertisement

Hopefully 2021 will finally be a good year for EVs. Plenty of cars becoming available in big numbers and for reasonable money. It will be your first brand new car so?

The last 3 or 4 cars I've bought were UK demo models (6-12mths old) so almost new.

I might do the same in 2021 but Brexit might be a problem there. I'll just have to see at the time.

How about yourself? You must be getting itchy feet by now! Anything taking your fancy?

I always have itchy feet :o:p

So many thoughts, my brain hurts. Could still be Model S. Or wait for Y, or the Volvo, Ford or Skoda competitors of it. Or who knows BMW might finally have a proper EV!

Or just keep Ioniq and get something for myself. Old low end i3 is the sensible choice. But I fancy a Twizy :D

unkel wrote:
    BigAl81 owns a classic Ioniq, so he is fine for the moment

Mrs Big Al is looking for an EV now!! She loves the Ioniq so the other ICE has to go ;)

Going for some test drives shortly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Mrs Big Al is looking for an EV now!! She loves the Ioniq so the other ICE has to go ;)

Going for some test drives shortly!!

What's the plan, buy a second EV with a longer range, or go for a second shorter range EV as a runabout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

AHH the new Ioniq.....
    Id pay 35k for it not 37 though, if they hadn't f@#ked up it's party piece,I was surprised by how much the new dash lifts the interior,HATE the wheels though and that's saying something given the stylish wheels the old one wears,not to keen on the new grille either lights are nice.
    I personally just don't subscribe to the bigger battery arguement propper fast charging and a decent network is the way forward.
    I am absolutely convinced there isn't a snowballs chance the ID3 will land at 35k either, whenever it turns up.
    I'd be looking at the small battery mid/high spec version of that with fast charging when ever that turns up hopefully wont have the same pricing foibles as the new Zoë.

ewj1978 wrote:
    have a look over the border: Put another 1000 miles on it 0 vrt and its yours for ~€32k

That's actually very tempting!! Pity it doesn't have leather seats tho like the demo one I sat in in Dublin. Thanks for posting the link!!

While the slow rapid charging speed is ridiculous in 2020, it would delay me by about 20 minutes twice a year or something like that, a real head v heart one!
    liamog wrote:
    What's the plan, buy a second EV with a longer range, or go for a second shorter range EV as a runabout?

Has to be longer range! Would need to be able to do 200kms+ winter motorway driving which this would just (bearly!) do at 110kmph.

I'd love 100kW fast charging and preheating via an app etc, but the instant availablity of the Ioniq is tempting. Food for thought!

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Put another 1000 miles on it 0 vrt and its yours for ~€32k

EUR33k actually, sterling is strong. Not a great price for a second hand Ioniq if I'm honest, but marginally better than new here if there really is no way to get any money off.

My first bet would be to contact all 30 Irish Hyundai dealers (but only once you are ready to actually buy and put down a deposit) and see if any of them wants to play

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ewj1978 wrote: »

Don't forget needs to be 6months+ old at time of purchase

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Don't forget needs to be 6months+ old at time of purchase

It will be in March. Just about when the next buyer has finally managed to bring the odometer over 6k km :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

there's a grey new model Ioniq parked outside Hyundai in Tullamore today. Looks well.

Looks great, priced wrong ;(

Had a go off one just to see
    Leather is nice
    Wheels are CAC
    Grille see above
    Like the lights
    New dashboard lifts the interior more than it has any right to.
    Didn't really notice the extra power
    GOM suggests 60km more range at best
    None of the above adds up to 6.5k though

adunis wrote:
    None of the above adds up to 6.5k though

I got an on the road price this evening from my dealer, including delivery etc it's 37,350 euro so it's actually 7.4k more!!!

adunis wrote: »
    Didn't really notice the extra power

Torque is the same as the Ioniq classic, so that's nor surprising.

I guess Ioniq 38kWh should have noticeably more power mid range, from about 80km/h or did you not have a chance to test that? This is where Ioniq classic is weak.

• Advertisement

I've gotta say midrange felt just the samemaybe a little more too end but that's suggestive ,I really think yould struggle to notice the extra

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,203 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bjorn 50km or so off finishing the 1000km challenge with the 38kwh Ioniq and it's touch and go whether it's going to beat the Zoe 50kwh. Battery started "coldgating" as the day went on and he's only pulling 31kw from ionity at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bjorn 50km or so off finishing the 1000km challenge with the 38kwh Ioniq and it's touch and go whether it's going to beat the Zoe 50kwh. Battery started "coldgating" as the day went on and he's only pulling 31kw from ionity at the mo

14 hrs 20 mins in the end.

Pathetic!

2020 Ioniq 38kWh (brand new) 14:20
    2016 Ioniq 28kWh (high mileage with some battery degradation) 12:15

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Pathetic!

2020 Ioniq 38kWh (brand new) 14:20
    2016 Ioniq 28kWh (high mileage with some battery degradation) 12:15

Was the weather quite different for the 38 though? Still a poor result, but was one winter Vs summer?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,203 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was the weather quite different for the 38 though? Still a poor result, but was one winter Vs summer?

28kwh was in summer yeah. The 38kwh really suffers from a cold battery it seems which confounds the low charging speeds even more.

The efficiency is still great though, the range is better than I thought it would be in really **** weather and lots of uphill:

The e-tron 50 didn't manage that journey with a 70kwh battery (mind you you can charge that 70kwh battery a lot quicker than the Ioniq's 38....)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How come the ionique 28 was/is so efficient ,gets the milage ?
    You'd assume a 28 kw battery with the newer battery chemistry would get even better milage ,if it ends up carrying less weight. .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    28kwh was in summer yeah. The 38kwh really suffers from a cold battery it seems which confounds the low charging speeds even more.

The efficiency is still great though, the range is better than I thought it would be in really **** weather and lots of uphill:

The e-tron 50 didn't manage that journey with a 70kwh battery (mind you you can charge that 70kwh battery a lot quicker than the Ioniq's 38....)

Watched that last night, very surprised at 25/26 kWh charging when battery low and cold

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Watched that last night, very surprised at 25/26 kWh charging when battery low and cold

Yeah and that was with "winter mode" enabled which should warm the battery for faster charging in cold conditions.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous. I've never seen anything other than 50kW charging on my 28kWh Ioniq on the ESB 50kW chargers. No matter how cold or hot the car (battery) and no matter how cold or hot the outside temperature

Advertisement