Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭JPA

unkel wrote: »
    With the Leaf's resistive heater? That will decrease the winter motorway range of the L24 from 60km to about 3km :p

Only early models have resistive heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,163 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JPA wrote: »
    Only early models have resistive heater.

I thought heat pump only came with the SVE / Tekna models? I could very well be wrong here though. Someone will clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

unkel wrote: »
    I thought heat pump only came with the SVE / Tekna models? I could very well be wrong here though. Someone will clarify.

Any post ‘13 Leaf SV and SVE comes with a heat pump. XE is the only one that come with no heat pump.

Pre-heating only happens with resistive heating when the car is off which is the same for all EV's, I don't think the HP is activated without energising the HV system which only happens with the car on.

Pre heat the leaf with the car off and you won't hear the radiator fan kick in unless the car is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

So, here's my review of the new 38kWh Ioniq after having it for 3 days.

Short review:
    Lovely car priced too high.

Long Review:

I have the 28kWh Ioniq and have done 25,000 kms in it over the last year so that's my basis for comparison.

Some differences I noticed...
    1. The new interior is more premium.
    2. You get leather seats and a bit of "leather" and stitching around the dash
    3. Electric seat for the driver only with memory function
    4. Auto adjusting mirrors when reversing
    5. A bigger screen on the entertainment unit, but Android Auto only uses 2/3rds of this screen, so effectically the same size as the old one ;(
    6. The seating position is definitely higher. I can only assume the larger battery is partially under the drivers seat. I'd like to have lowered my seat a bit more. I'm 6'3" and just had enough head room, but it's higher than the old Ioniq.
    7. A button to turn on the reversing camera when driving forwards! (Straight from the Tesla play book)
    8. A hardware "SOS" button you can press to call the police!!? Not sure how useful that is!
    9. Supposed to be an app. It says "not available in my region" in the Google Play store so couldn't test it.
    10. The heated steering wheel seemed to be a little less heated.
    11. The front is redesigned, and I think it looks better than the old Ioniq (see pic below).

Things that are the same:
    1. Wheel spin! In sport mode, with any bit of water on the road, and if you give it even a small bit of welly, the front wheels spin.
    2. Efficiency. Same great Ioniq efficiency.
    3. Boot space, still a small boot. Great if it suits your needs, not great if you need to pack a lot of stuff in there.

Despite there being a more powerful motor, gone from 88kw to 100kw, the new Ioniq felt less powerful and slower away from the line (and yes, I was in Sport mode). Three different EV owners who test drove the new Ioniq with me said the same. A Leaf 30 owner said it felt slower than his Leaf! There is something called "Winter Mode" that I toggled on and off, but didn't seem to make any difference. I wonder is this to protect the battery? It's still nippy, just a bit less so than the 28kWh classic Ioniq.

I didn't get to rapid charge the car, but I'll refer you to TeslaBjorn's videos on this. It's much slower to rapid charge compared to the classic 28 kWh Ioniq. If you rapid charge a lot, it's something to think about. If you mostly charge at home overnight, perhaps not. It would annoy me a lot paying much more for a newer car with much slower "rapid" charging.

It's all about the range though.

When I picked the car up, it had 820kms on the clock and for those 820kms it was averaging 18kWh/100kms. That would give a range of just 210kms. Now it's a demo model so I can only assume people were flooring it and the weather was cold in the 5 to 8 degree range.

For my driving, I drove from Dublin 15 to the Wicklow mountains and back, so some suburban driving, some M50, some M11 at 120 kmph, and a lot of hilly driving around Wicklow, and on that trip, I averaged 16.6 kWh/100 kms. That would give a range of 230ks with temperature of 6 to 7 degrees C.

On that trip of 118kms, the GOM decreased by 147kms however. So I started with 265 on the clock, and after driving 118ks, I only had 117 on the clock. This ties in with my maths of a range of 230kms in current weather.

In my 28kWh Ioniq, I'm getting about 185kms range at the moment, so add in the one third extra battery on the 38kWh Ioniq and I was predicting a range of 240 in "winter". My test was fairly close to that.

In the summer, I get 220kms on my 28kWh Ioniq, so keeping under 110kmph, the new 38kWh Ioniq should give you about 285kms range (maybe a touch over 300kms on a good day) from 100% full to zero. Remember your useful range will therefore be about 250kms in summer (~195 in winter) as you'll need a bit of buffer and are unlikely to roll up to a charger on zero percent battery!

I got my 28kWh Ioniq on the road for 26k (4k off on a scrappage deal, no metallic paint. Was 30k without scrappage)

The new Ioniq is 33.7k on the road with a 3k scrappage deal. Add 600 if you want metallic paint.

This makes the new car 30% more expensive and almost 8 grand more than the last model. Unless you really really need that little bit of extra range, I'd import a second hand 28kWh premium spec one from the UK instead.

It is a very nice car, and the extra range would be lovely to have, so if you have the funds, and don't mind the worse rapid charging speeds, you'll be happy. In my mind, there is better value out there in the second hand market. 37.4k on the road, puts this up against a 2015 CPO Tesla Model S with warranty.

The real question is what else can you get for 37k that you can go in and buy today. That's really only the Leaf 62 which is about 35k after scrappage and will allegedly do about 350kms of range. I'd definitely test drive both if thinking of getting the Ioniq 38kWh.

503110.jpg

503109.jpg

503111.jpg

Big Al.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Super post, thank you

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Any questions just ask.

As it happens, I had the Tesla Model S for three days last month, and I'd 100% go for the second hand Model S if I was spending 37k. Much more car for the money, and also access to that private Tesla network of chargers. Each to their own tho!

Al.

Well wear BigAl81 good review.

At least the new one hasn't got that horrible gammy plastic grill.

Hyundai let a great car down by the charging speed but that's due to the lower voltage of the battery. It's probably the only way they could configure it.

Wait until Hyundai move to 800 volts and a dedicated EV platform next year !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thanks for review, looks a good car if not needing to rapid often.

Pity about price, I was quoted about €600 less than you (probably just metallic)
    How did you find refinement compared to your 28kWh.
    Silver suits the car, new front not as obvious.:)

Excellent review, thanks for sharing. I did pick up from other reviews that the car wasn't any quicker, which is no surprise as it has the same torque as the old one (but a bit more power). I hadn't seen it mentioned that it felt slower though in initial acceleration. I guess the car is heavier because of the bigger battery + same torque = slower acceleration. That would be a real turn-off for me.

As for wheel spin when accelerating when the roads are not bone dry - this can be made an awful lot better by replacing the tyres with ones that have better grip (but worse fuel economy)

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    So, here's my review of the new 38kWh Ioniq after having it for 3 days.

Short review:
    Lovely car priced too high.

Long Review:

I have the 28kWh Ioniq and have done 25,000 kms in it over the last year so that's my basis for comparison.

Some differences I noticed...
    1. The new interior is more premium.
    2. You get leather seats and a bit of "leather" and stitching around the dash
    3. Electric seat for the driver only with memory function
    4. Auto adjusting mirrors when reversing
    5. A bigger screen on the entertainment unit, but Android Auto only uses 2/3rds of this screen, so effectically the same size as the old one ;(
    6. The seating position is definitely higher. I can only assume the larger battery is partially under the drivers seat. I'd like to have lowered my seat a bit more. I'm 6'3" and just had enough head room, but it's higher than the old Ioniq.
    7. A button to turn on the reversing camera when driving forwards! (Straight from the Tesla play book)
    8. A hardware "SOS" button you can press to call the police!!? Not sure how useful that is!
    9. Supposed to be an app. It says "not available in my region" in the Google Play store so couldn't test it.
    10. The heated steering wheel seemed to be a little less heated.
    11. The front is redesigned, and I think it looks better than the old Ioniq (see pic below).

Things that are the same:
    1. Wheel spin! In sport mode, with any bit of water on the road, and if you give it even a small bit of welly, the front wheels spin.
    2. Efficiency. Same great Ioniq efficiency.
    3. Boot space, still a small boot. Great if it suits your needs, not great if you need to pack a lot of stuff in there.

Despite there being a more powerful motor, gone from 88kw to 100kw, the new Ioniq felt less powerful and slower away from the line (and yes, I was in Sport mode). Three different EV owners who test drove the new Ioniq with me said the same. A Leaf 30 owner said it felt slower than his Leaf! There is something called "Winter Mode" that I toggled on and off, but didn't seem to make any difference. I wonder is this to protect the battery? It's still nippy, just a bit less so than the 28kWh classic Ioniq.

I didn't get to rapid charge the car, but I'll refer you to TeslaBjorn's videos on this. It's much slower to rapid charge compared to the classic 28 kWh Ioniq. If you rapid charge a lot, it's something to think about. If you mostly charge at home overnight, perhaps not. It would annoy me a lot paying much more for a newer car with much slower "rapid" charging.

It's all about the range though.

When I picked the car up, it had 820kms on the clock and for those 820kms it was averaging 18kWh/100kms. That would give a range of just 210kms. Now it's a demo model so I can only assume people were flooring it and the weather was cold in the 5 to 8 degree range.

For my driving, I drove from Dublin 15 to the Wicklow mountains and back, so some suburban driving, some M50, some M11 at 120 kmph, and a lot of hilly driving around Wicklow, and on that trip, I averaged 16.6 kWh/100 kms. That would give a range of 230ks with temperature of 6 to 7 degrees C.

On that trip of 118kms, the GOM decreased by 147kms however. So I started with 265 on the clock, and after driving 118ks, I only had 117 on the clock. This ties in with my maths of a range of 230kms in current weather.

In my 28kWh Ioniq, I'm getting about 185kms range at the moment, so add in the one third extra battery on the 38kWh Ioniq and I was predicting a range of 240 in "winter". My test was fairly close to that.

In the summer, I get 220kms on my 28kWh Ioniq, so keeping under 110kmph, the new 38kWh Ioniq should give you about 285kms range (maybe a touch over 300kms on a good day) from 100% full to zero. Remember your useful range will therefore be about 250kms in summer (~195 in winter) as you'll need a bit of buffer and are unlikely to roll up to a charger on zero percent battery!

I got my 28kWh Ioniq on the road for 26k (4k off on a scrappage deal, no metallic paint. Was 30k without scrappage)

The new Ioniq is 33.7k on the road with a 3k scrappage deal. Add 600 if you want metallic paint.

This makes the new car 30% more expensive and almost 8 grand more than the last model. Unless you really really need that little bit of extra range, I'd import a second hand 28kWh premium spec one from the UK instead.

It is a very nice car, and the extra range would be lovely to have, so if you have the funds, and don't mind the worse rapid charging speeds, you'll be happy. In my mind, there is better value out there in the second hand market. 37.4k on the road, puts this up against a 2015 CPO Tesla Model S with warranty.

The real question is what else can you get for 37k that you can go in and buy today. That's really only the Leaf 62 which is about 35k after scrappage and will allegedly do about 350kms of range. I'd definitely test drive both if thinking of getting the Ioniq 38kWh.

503110.jpg

503109.jpg

503111.jpg

Big Al.

Excellent review!
    The Winter mode is there to protect your battery. Keep it on for the cold weather.

And the new shape looks so much better.

You mentioned - what’s out there for €37k to compare... For a tiny tad more than €37 you could get a new 64kWh Soul which is super well equipped (way better than the Leaf would ever be and perhaps less than Tesla S)...

peposhi wrote: »

You mentioned - what’s out there for €37k to compare... For a tiny tad more than €37 you could get a new 64kWh Soul which is super well equipped (way better than the Leaf would ever be and perhaps less than Tesla S)...

That's true, 64 Kwh "usable" that makes a big difference + it can charge at 70 Kw , at least until around 50%. 50% = around 150 kms at 120 Km/hr in Winter based on my test. 10-50% charge takes 22 mins on 100 Kw or more charger based on Bjorn's review.

I have a feeling after talking to a few dealers (Though no proof) that the new Ioniq will be bought for about 34K incl delivery and metallic. (scrapage or no scrapage). But there is no budge on the Soul or Nero prices of about 39.5K.

The new Ioniq looks to be selling poorly from what I can make out (I wonder why?):) . A local rural garage had at least 5 in stock last week, not sure if any were sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

the only use case I can think of for buying this car is that you have
    a.) a genuine commute of 200 km per day
    b.) no work charging
    c.) can't afford a Niro / soul

I'm sure there are other use cases, I just genuinely can't think of them...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Still could not see myself spending guts of €40k on an EV, so much better value out there with good ICE used car and plenty of cash leftover for servicing/fuel etc.
    Purely financial statement that

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

b.) no work charging

Speaking for myself I don't particularly like the Soul/Niro, preferring the more streamlined efficient shape of the Ioniq (or Tesla):)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There is no literal reason to buy this car.
    As a fan of the first Ioniq I'm disgusted at what theyve done to it! Give me my 70kW back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Excellent review BigAL , very well written and very informative, you’d make a great motoring journalist .

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Any questions just ask.

As it happens, I had the Tesla Model S for three days last month, and I'd 100% go for the second hand Model S if I was spending 37k. Much more car for the money, and also access to that private Tesla network of chargers. Each to their own tho!

Al.

Can I ask how you A) got a loan of the ioniq 38 for the few days, and B) got a loan of a model S for 3 days?

I've no real interest in the 38 (I have a 28 and see no value in the "upgrade") but a real test of a model S would be great as it and the eNiro are really the only EVs I can see as my next car. Ioniq with 2 kids (1 pending) might get tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

[*]Wheel spin! In sport mode, with any bit of water on the road, and if you give it even a small bit of welly, the front wheels spin.

Great post, but just this bit. I've recently put Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 tyres on all four corners of the Ampera, and on the front of the Civic IMA. They are an absolute revelation. I don't know why manufacturers are still putting summer tyres on in the factory.

The Ampera has slightly more poke than the Ioniq (though it's limited a bit lower speeds), and would happily spin the old Yokohamas in the wet... now it's nearly impossible to do so. At 60km/h I slammed on the brakes in the Civic in maybe an inch of water. One kick from the ABS. On the old tyres the ABS would have been like a machine gun.

Michelin Cross Climate were the previous king of all seasons, but the Gen 2 Goodyears took the crown in several tyre tests in 2019. They're also snow rated.

Anyone complaining of poor wet grip really needs to ditch those summer tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A UK based lady on twitter has a 38 on trial for a few days.

She reckoned it got from 21 to 78 percent in half an hour at the rapid.

This is at odds with what we know of the 38s rapid charging ability.

So either a mistake or perhaps theyve done something to address the slow charging.

She was happy with the car either way and it sounds like she's going to buy one.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,203 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Old diesel wrote: »

So either a mistake or perhaps theyve done something to address the slow charging.

She was happy with the car either way and it sounds like she's going to buy one.

Someone will correct me if my calculations are off but 21 to 78% is 57% so 21.6kWh roughly? That means it was only charging at 40kW or so which is not at odds with what we've seen or heard so far at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Someone will correct me if my calculations are off but 21 to 78% is 57% so 21.6kWh roughly? That means it was only charging at 40kW or so which is not at odds with what we've seen or heard so far at all?

What we've seen so far indicates that it should be taking closer to 50 mins.

I'm sure there's a boo boo somewhere as in she thought it was 30 mins but was actually a bit longer.

But still I thought it was an interesting observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Pretty much what was reported before. It can’t max out a 50kW rapid like the Ioniq 28 could.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,203 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What we've seen so far indicates that it should be taking closer to 50 mins.

I'm sure there's a boo boo somewhere as in she thought it was 30 mins but was actually a bit longer.

But still I thought it was an interesting observation.

I think the 50 minutes must be to 100% assuming you get the full 43kw (that's as fast as it goes). It seems to coldgate pretty badly going by Bjorn's tests so can possibly even be longer but probably shouldn't be as much of an issue in ireland.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Great post, but just this bit. I've recently put Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 tyres on all four corners of the Ampera, and on the front of the Civic IMA. They are an absolute revelation. I don't know why manufacturers are still putting summer tyres on in the factory.

The Ampera has slightly more poke than the Ioniq (though it's limited a bit lower speeds), and would happily spin the old Yokohamas in the wet... now it's nearly impossible to do so. At 60km/h I slammed on the brakes in the Civic in maybe an inch of water. One kick from the ABS. On the old tyres the ABS would have been like a machine gun.

Michelin Cross Climate were the previous king of all seasons, but the Gen 2 Goodyears took the crown in several tyre tests in 2019. They're also snow rated.

Anyone complaining of poor wet grip really needs to ditch those summer tyres.

My experience is near identical. Going from the standard Michelin summer tyres that came with the car (Ioniq 28kWh) to 4 season Continental AllSeasonContacts made the world of difference in grip in the wet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think the 50 minutes must be to 100% assuming you get the full 43kw (that's as fast as it goes). It seems to coldgate pretty badly going by Bjorn's tests so can possibly even be longer but probably shouldn't be as much of an issue in ireland.

It's 54 minutes to 80%

Bjorn had the initial review without coldgate and it tapers so aggressively anyway, not possible to do 21-78 in 30 minutes.

Wow, well that proved to be a popular write up :) Thanks for all the comments, I'll try answer a few questions below...
    eagerv wrote: »
    I have a feeling after talking to a few dealers (Though no proof) that the new Ioniq will be bought for about 34K incl delivery and metallic.

The new Ioniq looks to be selling poorly from what I can make out (I wonder why?):) . A local rural garage had at least 5 in stock last week, not sure if any were sold.

Yeah, my dealer let it slip that they were having difficulty moving some stock, and when I was chatting to him this week, he said he had all the colors out in the yard!

When I got my 28kWh Ioniq last year, they were like hens teeth. When I eventually found a dealer with some cars in, I went over at 10am, and he had just unloaded 5. I went back at 1pm that same day and 4 were gone, and it was a take it or leave it on the white one, or it would be months before he'd have more.

Night and day different!

peposhi wrote: »

Sorry, forgot about the Soul, that would be a far better use of around 38k! The looks are even growing on me... I wonder do they do 48 hour test drives haha :D
    b.) no work charging

Yep, agree. I've a semi regular 170km trip and the 28kWh Ioniq won't dependably do that in the worst of the winter weather. The little bit extra range would really help me there which is what piqued my interest, but not at that price unfortunately!
    ELM327 wrote: »
    There is no literal reason to buy this car.
    As a fan of the first Ioniq I'm disgusted at what they've done to it! Give me my 70kW back!

I concur! However it is a nice car just in and off itself (apart from the slow "rapid" charging) It's just very let down be an awful price.
    Bigus wrote: »
    Excellent review BigAL , very well written and very informative, you’d make a great motoring journalist .

Awh shucks, maybe I can get on to TeslaBjorn and start an Irish franchise. I was thinking about asking wifey to follow me to Wicklow and back in the classic Ioniq to compare efficiency, but that would have been a bridge too far haha.
    Can I ask how you A) got a loan of the ioniq 38 for the few days, and B) got a loan of a model S for 3 days?

I've no real interest in the 38 (I have a 28 and see no value in the "upgrade") but a real test of a model S would be great as it and the eNiro are really the only EVs I can see as my next car. Ioniq with 2 kids (1 pending) might get tight.

When the 38kWh Ioniq came out I go onto my dealer before I knew about the price. I went over for a look and when I heard the price, I knew it wouldn't sell, so I told him to contact me when the price comes down or they offer a scrappage deal. A few months later he calls me up and offers a 48 hour test drive. I strategically picked Friday, as the dealer was closed on a Sunday, so had the car from lunch time Friday to lunch time Monday.

For the Model S, I had to pay for that unfortunately. There's a company that rent them in Stephens Green, €99 a day for a Model 3, and €149 a day for the Model S. Luckily I had a voucher for them, so didn't cost me too much. I you want AutoPiliot, contact them before you book to make sure you car will have it. There's a thread on boards about them (UfoDrive)

Same for me car wise, have the 28kWh Ioniq, and looking to replace our petrol car with an EV now. For me, a second hand S from Tesla with warranty is what I'll go for. However that warranty is likely to only be 2 years, where as the eNiro is a 7 year warranty right. A lot to be said for a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty. I'd be nervous about owning a Model S without warranty, but it would be great to have one so I'm gonna roll the dice and hope for the best!!

I also have my eye on the Peugeot e2008, but I don't think that's out till the summer here?

Al.

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    Thanks for review, looks a good car if not needing to rapid often.

Pity about price, I was quoted about €600 less than you (probably just metallic)
    How did you find refinement compared to your 28kWh.
    Silver suits the car, new front not as obvious.:)

Yep, I was told metallic was 600 extra.

In terms of refinement, it's nicer when you sit in as you have leather seats, upgraded trim, electric seat for the driver (tho not passenger!) etc.

In terms of driving it's almost the same, the steering is a little lighter which I like, but it is noticeably a little slower on the uptake when you floor it which is a shame! It still goes and is nice an smooth, just seems a bit slower than the classic Ioniq.

Advertisement