Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's a different drivetrain. The "new and improved" ioniq is using the 39kWh Kona battery and drivetrain. Even by virtue of that it will be less efficient as the 39kWh battery has lower voltage.

This sounds like confirmation bias. Do you own one?

Pretty sure he drives a Tesla.

It's still a ridiculously efficient car in fairness, only loses out by a whisker to Ioniq 28kwh and model 3 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have an S too, I used to own the Ioniq28 and - as you'll see from some of my older posts here - was a great fan of its efficiency and near 3C DC charge rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice UK deal on the Ioniq...from EDF, 9+23 (£216/mo) - 24 mo Personal Lease, £6,723, 10,000miles pa

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Well, anyone with a 38kWh Ioniq care to share the range they're getting these days? Pretty cold out there so I'd guess around 230kms or so?

... asking for a friend ;)

Not sure if we have any 38kWh Ioniq owners in this thread? Or perhaps just no one that will admit to owning one haha :D

Picking mine up next week hopefully, do any owners have any info / feedback on the BlueLink app?

Very little info out there for Ireland specifically. Seems it will work here, but your car still has to be plugged in to remote start heating? Is that right :rolleyes:

Thanks,
    Soon to be slower "rapid" charging Al :P

• Advertisement

So picked up a shiny new 38kWh Ioniq today. After an hour of ownership compared to the 28kWh classic Ioniq...

Here are the pros
    • 30% bigger battery and therefor about 30% more range :D
    • Leather interior (had cloth in the last one)
    • Electric drivers seat and lumbar adjustments
    • Memory seats and mirrors (super handy for me & wifey)
    • Auto down adjusting mirrors when reversing (I was doing this manually every time I reversed!!).
    • Small bit more space in the boot, but just enough to hold they type 2 cable out of the way.
    • Charging speed now shown on dash while charging
    • Nicer front grill in my opinion
    • The ability to set the max charge level, ie: stop charging at 80% for example to possibly extend battery life if that's your thing.
    • Internal ambient lighting
    • Larger infotainment screen
    • Can use rear view camera while driving
    • Same great Ioniq efficiency

Here are the cons
    • Rapid charging speed is dramatically slower much to Hyundai's shame :(
    • Lane keep assist seems to be much worse, more of a dramatic swerve at the last second to stop you going over a line, rather than keeping you in lane. (It's Lane Keep Assist, rather that Lane Follow Assist which I believe would be better).
    • 3,400 euro more expensive than the last model (Tho given extra battery and higher trim level isn't too bad).
    • Did I mention the awful "rapid" charging speed?
    • No app ;(

All in, for me I'm very happy with the new wheels :) Any questions just ask.

539248.jpg

539249.jpg

539250.jpg

539251.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How is the boot bigger? More storage under the false floor?

The ioniq 28 does a poor job of giving you as much boot space as it could (there are 2 plastic panels under the false floor, 1 covers the heat exhaust for the battery, and the other covers the high voltage battery disconnect, but both take up far too much space than the need.

How is the boot bigger?

There is a cubby hole on the right that was not there before. I believe it's where the vents for the air cooled battery used to be on the old 28kWh car. It's big enough to hold the charging cable which is a small win. I think the floor is slightly lower as well, but yeah agree, lots of space under the boot floor that I stuff things into as well!

It's still a small boot, just a little bigger than the classic Ioniq.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The new front end gives me a superman vibe, especially in that blue colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear! Blue is a lovely colour on the Ioniq. The longer range suits your needs very much so that's a big bonus, and a bit more comfort with the leccy seats and other spec improvements

I agree the grille isn't quite as bad as the old one, but still cheap and plasticky looking. You plans to get it wrapped?

And afaik it's not Hyundai that set the low charging standard, it was dictated by the battery supplier. But someone might know the specific details about that dealio, we used to have cros13 for that type of semi-inside knowledge that a quick google typically does not reveal :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

very nice BigAl, love the colour.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    So picked up a shiny new 38kWh Ioniq today. After an hour of ownership compared to the 28kWh classic Ioniq...

Nice Colour, well wear!

What made you pick the Ioniq if you don't mind my asking ?

Blue = nice

Ceramic coating booked or other long term paint protection?

539250.jpg

While I appreciate the ease of access into the car with the automatic sliding back drivers seat, I always hate how it exposes the rails which the seat sits on. Just takes from an otherwise pleasant interior.

PS. You saving peeling the blue tape off the center caps? #lifeslittlepleasures

unkel wrote: »
    I agree the grille isn't quite as bad as the old one, but still cheap and plasticky looking. You plans to get it wrapped?

It's nice enough for me, and a big improvement on the last version so I'll leave it as is I think.
    Nice Colour, well wear!

What made you pick the Ioniq if you don't mind my asking ?

Bit of a long story, but already had one, and got a crazy good trade in deal (paid 26k new, got effectvally 24.5k back after 2 years and 40k kms on a trade in). They made me an offer I couldn't refuse so i didn't haha. This car suits my needs, but charges (very!) slowly so not for everyone. Still have a Saab, so I'll replace that with a Tesla in due course :D
    slave1 wrote: »
    Blue = nice

Ceramic coating booked or other long term paint protection?

I know nothing of ceramic coating but will have look. Not something I've done before, would you recommend it? Got metallic paint this time, didn't have it on the old Ioniq.
    While I appreciate the ease of access into the car with the automatic sliding back drivers seat, I always hate how it exposes the rails which the seat sits on. Just takes from an otherwise pleasant interior.

PS. You saving peeling the blue tape off the center caps? #lifeslittlepleasures

Ha, yeah, it's a nice touch, like at a restaurant when the waiter pulls out your chair.

I've been peeling plastic off loads of places for the last day, I missed the wheels! The "engine" had loads of plastic still on it :pac:

Well, anyone with a 38kWh Ioniq care to share the range they're getting these days? Pretty cold out there so I'd guess around 230kms or so?

... asking for a friend ;)

Guess I can answer this now for anyone that's wondering!

So 272kms of range on the GOM when charged to 100% at 9 degrees C this morning. Range went up to 286kms if I knocked off the heating.

My 28kWh classic Ionic was showing ~170kms on the GOM at 100% charge when I traded her in, but there was a long very cold snap for a few weeks at that time so that was a bit lower than average.

The new car only has 88kms on the odometer, so I'll expect that range to drop as the car is driven more in this cool weather, tune in next week to find out :P

539409.jpg

Ps: You can tell it's not a popular EV when you have to answer your own questions online :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kavanafl

@BigAl81 I agree with your Pro's and Con's. Picked up a new one today, after driving two 28kw since early 2017. I believe the Bluelink app does work, even though I cant get it to work yet. The app is not picking up my VIN, but it maybe a timing thing. Folk have Bluelink working on the Kona ok, so it is available in Ireland.

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the (very small) club 

Unfortunately I got it confirmed from Hyundai Ireland today there is no BlueLink app for the Ioniq ;(

I'm fairly sure they rang up my dealer and gave out to him as he called me and profusely apologised for telling me there was an app.

Was also told there's no update or anything to get the app in the future ;(

Strange as the Kona has the app here in Ireland, and the UK Ioniq has the app over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kavanafl

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the (very small) club 

Unfortunately I got it confirmed from Hyundai Ireland today there is no BlueLink app for the Ioniq ;(

I'm fairly sure they rang up my dealer and gave out to him as he called me and profusely apologised for telling me there was an app.

Was also told there's no update or anything to get the app in the future ;(

Strange as the Kona has the app here in Ireland, and the UK Ioniq has the app over there.

Thank you sir. and congrats on your also. The blue is a very nice colour.

That is disappointing. I cant understand what could be missing from the car to NOT allow it utilise Bluelink services. I watched a How TO video last night that came from Hyundai India, and as part of the enrolment process, to get the Bluelink app visible on the Infotainment scree you hit the SOS button. I did, and it dialled through to emergency services (surprise surprise) so there must be some class of connectivity in the car. That would suggest a software version might be all thats required.

App is in country on some cars.
    The cars have the hardware.
    Whats the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

kavanafl wrote: »
    Thank you sir. and congrats on your also. The blue is a very nice colour.

That is disappointing. I cant understand what could be missing from the car to NOT allow it utilise Bluelink services. I watched a How TO video last night that came from Hyundai India, and as part of the enrolment process, to get the Bluelink app visible on the Infotainment scree you hit the SOS button. I did, and it dialled through to emergency services (surprise surprise) so there must be some class of connectivity in the car. That would suggest a software version might be all thats required.

Whats the issue?
    Knowing Hyundai Ireland, they probably saved €0.15c by not having the module installed. :mad:

• Advertisement

That’s sad and the single reason I didn’t move from the Leaf to an Ioniq, remote AC is something I’d never live without once enjoyed.
    I’d say Kia just don’t want the SIM access expense

kavanafl wrote: »
    Whats the issue?

Yep I completely agree! Maybe you could email Hyundai Ireland and ask them just that and report back?

Seems like a case of Paddy Spec to me given the UK Ioniq has it :(

So....does the App work in Ireland, getting conflicting info, some say yes, some say no. Better off asking owners I think...

slave1 wrote:
    So....does the App work in Ireland, getting conflicting info, some say yes, some say no. Better off asking owners I think...

No!

The dealer told me it would before the sale.

The Hyundai website indicated the app would work.

It does not.

I got a very apologetic call from the dealer after the sale. I contacted Hyundai Ireland to see why my app wouldn't work, and I suspect they gave out to the dealer for giving out the wrong info.

I believe the new Konas now come with the app. But the Ioniq doesn't ;(

Edited to add there is an app for the Ioniq in the UK, just not for us in Ireland ;(

Contemplating an Ioniq 38, if anyone thinking of selling theirs feel free to PM me....

slave1 wrote: »
    Contemplating an Ioniq 38, if anyone thinking of selling theirs feel free to PM me....

Replacing the leaf?

Ya, that's the idea, well that's an idea if the numbers work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

This may be a dumb question but is there any reason someone going for a new Ioniq38 isn't getting an ID3 instead, with a 20Kwh bigger battery for around the same price (I think!).

Orebro wrote: »
    This may be a dumb question but is there any reason someone going for a new Ioniq38 isn't getting an ID3 instead, with a 20Kwh bigger battery for around the same price (I think!).

Bigger boot? But yeah, hard to find a reason to buy one new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭eagerv

Bigger boot? But yeah, hard to find a reason to buy one new.

The boot is bigger in the ID.3 than the Ioniq, so she tells me:).
    The missus would also love the new Ioniq, range would be perfect for her. But mainly for the toys, the Ioniq is well loaded compared to a base ID.3. Having a heat pump also an advantage for she who likes plenty of heat. Pity not having an app though, she loves that on the VW.

Advertisement