Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

I'm moving to Ioniq EV and am nearly ready to pull the trigger on an i28.

I had discounted the i38 due to "slow" charging and high cost of battery maintenance.

I now understand that the i38 will charge pretty much as good as the i28 for my needs (a 20 minute pit stop mid trip).

Can anyone here help me understand the cost for maintaining an i38 battery coolant? I've read some stories of "change every 24 months" and "€500 per change". Are these true? If so then I'll probably stick with the reduced range of the air cooled i28, albeit with less range.

Any advice appreciated - cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The UK service guidance is to change the battery coolant every 4 years and they qoute the service that does that at £500 (maybe they do other stuff at the same one that increases the price).

As far as I've read there has been plenty of cars who have gotten a low coolant error that Hyundai fixed by replacing the battery coolant under warranty, so there might be some cars that don't require it.

But 2020 models will be due the coolant change so you'd want to find out of it's been done or not and factor it into your cost.

Unless there are some serious horror stories coming out about cars that didn't get it done, I can't imagine too many people are going to get the coolant getting changed more than twice, if the second one gets done at all.

It's funny, in some ways the additional warranty of the newer car is almost a negative as I have to keep of the FSH to protect the warranty, I would have been happy to change a filter myself and get whatever else needed to be done done locally. Connolly's in Galway quoted me €450 for my next service and as far as I know it's a standard service + changing break fluid, there hasn't been too many times I've paid €450 on maintaining a car in my life!

What kind of distances will your commute be?

Thank you!12

Agree completely on the FSH negative! Have seen some dealer quotes of 180+ for "minor ev service" - wtaf?

For anyone buying 2nd hand - check the warranty. My experience is that warranty contracts are for ICE parts only :(.

Regarding commute. Most of the time the commute is small - 40km each way. No problem here - that's why i28 was on table.

Every 2nd month or so (let's say 8 times a year) there'd be "long" journey of 120km each way. This is complicated by the fact that its a route that doesn't have much fast charging (Louth to Donegal).

The i28 seemed to tick a lot of boxes - would do the 1 way journey easily most times and worst case a small stop. i38 is very appealing now that it seems that fast charging isn't a problem and would do the 1 way easily without a stop.

Very interested in feedback on servicing/economy. Cheers 👍

I don't have the car long, 3 weeks so I might not be the best person to advise but I think the 38 could probably do your return journey if you 100% charged before leaving.

One of the journeys I have made with it is 62k each way and each leg was using just under 25% of the battery. Nearly 50k of this journey was motorway @ 120 , and it wasn't particularly warm 2 weeks ago, so not the most efficient journey. I would expect that if your journey is mostly non-motorway that you'd make it relatively comfortably in most conditions, although I'm not 100% sure how to get from Louth to Donegal!

My car is a 221 from Northern Ireland with just over 50k km/30k miles, it's had two services in its two years, but mileage wise in theory it should have had 3. (1 year or 15k km is the interval).

If I put my old reg into the Hyundai UK website, it shows as the 3 year service/30k miles (which I'm already over, but the last service was not done long ago @ 28k miles) as costing £65 and the 4 year/ 40k miles service costing ~£500. The Irish website doesn't show the prices, or at least not to me.

Enniskillen is the closest NI Hyundai dealer to me. If there wasn't the muddying of the waters of the fact my mileage being higher than the intervals already, and my two options were a €450 service down here and a £65 one in Enniskillen, I'd probably be making a day trip, I might yet even still! Presumably with the 120k journey your not too deep into Donegal, so Enniskillen would be pretty close 8 times a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Leterkenny and Donegal town have now got lots of 50kW+ chargers.

Many of the low coolant errors are caused by coolant services that left air in the system and so after a few weeks the air works it's way out and shows a low level which is topped up by dealer for free.

My understanding is that it's a special non conductive waterless coolant.

There is some reports or recalls saying the liquid coolant can crystallize with age so change on time to prevent issues.

The 38kWh is slow to charge, about as slow as a leaf, the 28kWh ioniq was unusually fast and combined with a small battery meant stops were extra quick.

• Advertisement

I was able to see Irish pricing here Online Service Booking | Hyundai Ireland.

It give pricing for 28 model (2018) but I couldn't get pricing for the 38 model 🤔.

75k = 132

90k = 353

105k = 132

120k = 364

Brake fluid seems to be the main difference.

Someone else might be able to get figures for the 38 - I'll stop polluting this thread with 28 data now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Theres a recall on the coolant on these as others have mentioned. It seems the original coolant crystalizes and causes the car to throw a low coolant error (interestingly if you turn the car off and back on it clears it for that trip). Every Ioniq38 is entitled to get this done free of charge, you simply phone the dealer and tell them the low coolant error is appearing intermittently and they'll book you in. Hyundai have supplied their dealers with a special machine that flushes the system multiple times. They then fill it with a new version of the coolant that does not crystalize.

This is a long winded way of saying if this gets done then it should mean the expensive coolant service timer is reset so to speak, since they hardly expect you to change it at the next service again. That and I believe the cost of the actual coolant has come down dramatically so it shouldn't cost as much as advertised on the website even if you had to do it.

Go for the 38 if you can, sooooo much crap info online about them being slow charging which is nonsense especially if you don't need to fast charge regularly. A genuine super efficient 300Km car in the summer / 260Km Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

Our first EV was a 28kWh back in the day, loved it. Drove a 38kWh when launched and thought at the time that the interior was a far nicer place to be than the 28, but apparently there was only one well equipped Irish version, UK also had a lesser equipped version.

Definitely doesn't have leather and electric seats anyways. Does the Irish one also have cooled/vented seats as standard?

The lack of electric seats was unexpected when we went up to pick ours if I'm being honest, obviously didn't do enough research! The electric adjustment is something I could easily do without, but the memory function would have been useful seeing as two of us drive the car regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

Cannot remember whether had cooled/vented seats, but the leather looked well and was comfie. Our test drive one was red with the light interior, felt very smart.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. Budget is already stretched on the i28 :(.

Anyone see this notification from bluelink before?

"the vehicle is on for 15 minutes.we recommend turning off the vehicle for safety"

My wife is sitting in the car talking to someone, as she doesn't want to sit in the car with the car off due to worries about the 12v, she has the car on.

The message got repeated for 30 and 45 mins.

What would be the "safety" concern of having the car on, but not moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

I suppose the risk a kid could jump in and put it in drive, especially if they were in the back and driver hopped out to pop into a shop and left car in, or that it would sit for days while "on" and run the battery to 0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andron

Did she use utility mode? I would expect this will not pop up when utility mode is on, but it sometimes it happens to Kia and so is for Ioniq 38

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Qboot

Thanks for the tip, ZG. I am actually not far off that mileage (I should hit it next year), so may as well plan a purchase. And like you said, my dealer actually claimed they do not have the equipment to check the SoH, which I consider pure BS they give to customers as they are either too busy or cannot be bothered.

Advertisement