Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think constant digs make them look small like tna always did but I don’t think aew have done it too badly yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Acknowledge there is competition, of course. For e.g., highlight Moxley is a former WWE champ etc.

But don't make little inside jokes about how another company might be under performing - that makes the company look petty and small time. Especially since WWE still dwarf AEW in terms of public awareness and revenues.

Like when Man City put a billboard up when they signed Tevez from United.

Just go about your business and show everyone you're better than WWE. Don't keep trying to tell us.

Why?

Especially when the reason the company exists in the first place is cos their fanbase is one that seeks an alternate to WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I endorse post.

Don't buy your car of used Joes as they are to used come to used Micks our used cars are less used. paid for by used Micks.

I love the ads for meds on US TV take these and they may kill you however ask your doctor first before taking them just in case.

So you've been watching Ring of Honor? I half expect a Lionel Hutz ad. Endorsed by Doctor Nick.

Since talking about him in the other thread, are they waiting for Brodie Lee to come back to carry on the Colt story? They do seem to give him a lot of time to make a decision to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Why?

Especially when the reason the company exists in the first place is cos their fanbase is one that seeks an alternate to WWE.

Cost/Benefit.

You don't lose disaffected WWE fans if you leave out the shots aimed at Stamford, CT.

You potentially lose (at least two posters in this small sample of fans) who think it's small time and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Fans who would stop watching a fantastic wrestling product over small jabs at competition would be petty enough in their own right though.

• Advertisement

Fans who would stop watching a fantastic wrestling product over small jabs at competition would be petty enough in their own right though.

4 in one segment is pushing it, do you not agree?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Cost/Benefit.

You don't lose disaffected WWE fans if you leave out the shots aimed at Stamford, CT.

You potentially lose (at least two posters in this small sample of fans) who think it's small time and petty.

The two posters in question have been ****ting on AEW since day one.

Go back to watching permanent midcarder Bray Wyatt wearing a silly Halloween mask whilst he wrestles The Eternal Dork, Seth "Fuppin" Rollins.

WWE diehards will never like AEW because it is proof positive that US wrestling can be so much better than the homogeneous garbage WWE churns out on a weekly basis.

Go back to watching permanent midcarder Bray Wyatt wearing a silly Halloween mask whilst he wrestles The Eternal Dork, Seth "Fuppin" Rollins.

WWE diehards will never like AEW because it is proof positive that US wrestling can be so much better than the homogeneous garbage WWE churns out on a weekly basis.

I was counting myself as one of them, so maybe there are three in that case.

Cost/Benefit.

I just find it strange that those fans take such offence to a few throw away comments on a show with a built in audience for that kind of stuff yet those same fans (or posters) never seem to complain about Wyatt's blatantly dumb stuff or crap like "ghost faces" on NXT. Weird that.

I just find it strange that those fans take such offence to a few throw away comments on a show with a built in audience for that kind of stuff yet those same fans (or posters) never seem to complain about Wyatt's blatantly dumb stuff or crap like "ghost faces" on NXT. Weird that.

You'll have to ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

And AEW die hards would be marking out if AEW signed Tyler Black* and telling us about his great ROH days and how he’s the best in the biz and his unlimited potential bla bla bla... both sides are as bad as each other

*Incase you don’t know Tyler Black = The Eternal Dork, Seth "Fuppin" Rollins :D

And AEW die hards would be marking out if AEW signed Tyler Black* and telling us about his great ROH days and how he’s the best in the biz and his unlimited potential bla bla bla... both sides are as bad as each other

*Incase you don’t know Tyler Black = The Eternal Dork, Seth "Fuppin" Rollins :D

Was never a Tyler Black guy FYI. The diehards are dumb, watch the shows. There's far more on WWE TV on a weekly basis that is either dull, incoherent or just insulting to your intelligence than what AEW produce, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

AEW is far superior to anything on the main roster. Thats a no brainer.

Currently people want AEW to succeed. Its far from perfect, and yes I will be critical of the product, but its the best pro wrestling show around at the minute. NXT has a lot going for it but its held back by the negatives which simply dont apply to AEW (over production counter booking, unfortunate amount of injuries).

Id go as far to say that the womens division in NXT is the only current part of WWE that it has over AEW in terms of enjoyment. And AEW arent a million miles away in that category either

• Registered Users Posts: 60,407 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very nice opening tag between the Bucks and TH2.

That was a great Sting promo still not giving anything away.

Hangman and the Dark Order recruiters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Skeevone drinking on the job.......

Chief brand officer involved in a physical incident with a member of the networks biggest show? That's a sackable offence.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yes, wwe do it, but this piped in crowd noise is ridiculous.....

Don Callis is awesome.

Between the BattleRoyal last week and the ending to this week they are slowly turning Miro in to a Monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Okay episode I thought this week, the taped ones are usually better than this. Think they're overdoing the whole brawl after each match or backstage assaults every episode. Less is more or they need to think of other ways to start feuds.

Kenny promo was great, Don Callis is as good as Heyman on the mic IMO. Pity the whole thing was basically a rehash of what was said on Impact with no additional surprise, apart from that heli entrance. Looking to head to the December 30th edition myself. Will try sort tickets tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

With that Sting promo, I'm more invested in his character after a 5 min promo, than I was in his entire WWE run.

Great stuff with Arn at the start also

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    With that Sting promo, I'm more invested in his character after a 5 min promo, than I was in his entire WWE run.

Lot of people complaining online that he wasn't brooding enough and talked to much.

Silent crow-style Sting was only a thing for a year. The rest of the time he was pretty energetic and cut plenty of promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I liked the Sting segment, thought he came across very well, much better than how he was presented in WWE. Interested to see where they go from here.

The video package for Darby against Cage was class too, AEW do that type of thing really well.

Bucks/TH2 was really good, Evans and Angelico are criminally underrated. Nice showing from the Varsity Blondes too after their upset win on Dark, hopefully they continue improving and being showcased.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Skeevone drinking on the job.......

Chief brand officer involved in a physical incident with a member of the networks biggest show? That's a sackable offence.......

Tony and JR dont care. I actually think they’re hurting the product rather than bringing gravitas to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Really liked Dynamite this week. Like probably my fav episode ever.

Opening match was a great opener. TH2 are very good workers, but they look like a sh!t version of the Bucks. Looks aside, they rarely disappoint in terms of ability. Both teams worked hard and the match flowed very nicely. You cant help but admire how smooth both teams are and that Doomsday Device looked nasty (in a good way). When was the last time Raw or Smackdown opened well like this? Liked how the Bucks are mystified about Omega’s actions yet still back him as a friend. Logical booking. One slight nit pick, should the Bucks be going through all the big moves on a TV match with little heat? It’s a very minor quibble. Great, very entertaining and even gave me a slight doubt as to who was winning the match. Great stuff.

Side note, I like the time limit ques. Very effective que for the audience. Simple, yet very effective.

MJF gets 20 seconds and cuts a great, passionate promo. 20 seconds, job done.

Darbys vignettes are very different but they are evolving brilliantly each week. Cage v Allin interests me in terms of a Big Man V Little Man booking. It’s an easy story to tell, but I cant wait to see AEWs take on this match.

I have to give AEW credit for the booking of Cody, He’s presented like a big star each week, even when losing he comes off strong. Loses to Jericho, Allin, MJF and yet he still appears to be a star and hasn’t lost much in defeat.

They need to lose the snow from Stings entrance, makes him look like he has dandruff. That aside, the Sting segment was intriguing and loved the Tony hug spot. Ill give Sting credit, he appears to move well for a 60 year old man. Like I have been critical about brining in 60 year old Sting, but I did say if anyone can pull it off its AEW. Well so far so good. The tease with Cody for a future match was a great touch and the respect shown by Cody adds to the segment. Lots of mystery, no real answers about what he wants to do in AEW. Less is more and it was mission accomplished. Cant fault it so far.

Team Taz cut a promo, no faults again. Starks is so damn good, big Gino Hernandez off him. The look, the verbal skills….. hes a star in the making. 3 or 4 years at most and he will be a top guy.

FTR v Varisty Blondes was a decent TV match. Again as the match progress, I had a slight doubt who would win. Kudos AEW. The VB are very green, but they have potential to be a decent team. Garrison reminds me of Stevie Richards looks wise.

Big fan of Page and this mini angle with the Dark Order is fun. Silver has very good comedy timing. Hes no main event but he can be an asset on the lower card.

I didn’t care for Dustin v Number 10. But it did have some story advancement so it wasn’t all bad. I just find Dustin boring at this stage.

Shaq – For me as a wrestling fan it’s a meh. But if it works in getting eyes on the product then so be it, I just doubt know successful it will be. I didn’t get Brandi being pissed about being introduced lesser than Shaq and then the water throw. Very heelish, she cant pick a lane can she . The segment was short and sweet, and it wasn’t awful.

Jerichos entrance is something I enjoy, but having fans mark out is fine, though other wrestlers marking out is cringe. The inner Circle segment was good. Jericho wrestling week in week out doesn’t do it for me as we near 2021, but Jericho cutting promos is still very enjoyable. MJF and Sammy are great young characters, both have it and I look forward to how this angle progresses. All in all, a great segment. Ortiz was a nice surprise, MJF with his backhanded comments, all great. I also liked Wardlow and Hager. Cant fault the segment at all.

One part I loved was the towel segment and how Jericho didn’t pretend he didn’t rewatch the match and only see Sammy holding the towel. Refreshing logic. Its great to be treated with intelligence.

The 6 man tag was a decent tv match. Archers a face now I guess, no issues with it but to be honest I just don’t care about it yet. I shall give it time.

The womens match was ok. Not a huge fan of Abaddon to be honest. It feels like a holding feud for Shida.

Love Omega in entrance, makes him feel like a big deal heel. Chopper, the big spiel evolving each week, love it all. Someone here about 6 months ago said they’d never make Omega feel like a big deal after the previous years booking. Well, they did it. Its easy to rehab characters and to be fair Omega wasn’t booked that badly anyway IMO, but man they made him a star very easily.

Callis was great, he can be the missing piece for Omega. A heel manager, someone to bounce off and someone to do most the talking. A possible masterstroke.

Loved the promo. Great follow up to last week. Kenny was ramped up the obnoxiousness, the cockiness and hes doing it. Just brilliant. Perfcet even.

As close as you can get to a perfect 2 hours of TV wrestling.

If you grew up watching WWF/WWE and feel they have dropped the ball in the last 15 years, AEW is the show for you. Its not perfect, I am critical of it at times. But overall, you will be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I'm invested as well, which I never thought I would b, but here we are.

Also kudos to Mikey Rukus, (AEW's music guy) did a fantastic job with his theme as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Tony and JR dont care. I actually think they’re hurting the product rather than bringing gravitas to it..

Tony is likeable at least. JR is just zero energy, not arsed. The nostalgia factor isn't worth it with him.

Throw money at Mauro. His pop culture references can be sometimes annoying but he adds energy and is always engaged.

TimesArrow wrote: »

I agree that JR isn't great but it's mindboggling to suggest that Tony has been anything but fantastic since he has come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Johnny Hungiee is one of the stars of the show, Dark Order turned it around nicely after a bit of a dodgy start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

beakerjoe get out of my brain!! :pac:

I agree with 100% of your points!

Advertisement