Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

What was with Kingston at the end? The timing made zero sense.

Moxleys kayfabe motives with the chair made zero zense. He speaks about the championship meaning everything to him yet he hits his finisher and doesnt try win..... there was no logic to the chair but at that stage. Im fine with the spot with the chairs, just the timing of it made no sense. After a random power move.... fine.... after his finisher in a title match against arguably his toughest challeneger. No sense.

But its a minor gripe. The match overall delivered. Gave us a highky enjoyable TV championship bout and didnt blow their load. I wanna see them go at it on PPV in the rubber match.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

To be briefly pedantic. But how can there be a rubber match between Kenny & Jon Moxley? The unsanctioned match at Full Gear last year wasn't counted against both men's records. So technically Kenny is 1-0 over Moxley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    To be briefly pedantic. But how can there be a rubber match between Kenny & Jon Moxley? The unsanctioned match at Full Gear last year wasn't counted against both men's records. So technically Kenny is 1-0 over Moxley.

Ya might have cracked onto something there. I can see Callis and Omega doing a smarmy promo saying the same.

Ya might have cracked onto something there. I can see Callis and Omega doing a smarmy promo saying the same.

I'm 99% sure it was mentioned and acknowledged on an episode of Dynamite.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just on the Sting debut and the surprise you have to hand it to AEW Moxley’s debut and Miro’s
    Debut to a lesser extent were a complete surprise.

WWE have a mix of an internal source leaking things out of spite and them purpose leaking things in the hope of a ratings spike.

I have to say I’m really enjoying AEW lately. Lots of good. I still don’t think they needed Sting but that’s a small gripe.

• Advertisement

Comicbook.com excerpted this from an interview Matt & Nick did with Jon Alba & Doug McDonald on their Living The Gimmick podcast. It's too much to post, but Nick did mention collaborating with other promotions.
    First off, it just makes wrestling interesting, And that's something wrestling hasn't had in many, many years is getting people interested in the product. This is a way to make things interesting, and if you do it right it can be very good for business. We've done it, like Matt said earlier, it worked well when we've done it in the past. Our program with the Hardys... that did massive business for Ring of Honor. It was the best business, at that point, in the company's history. It worked there, so it can work here

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/aew-young-bucks-partnership-with-impact-formed-kenny-omega-don-callis-years-in-the-making/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loughc wrote: »
    Just on the Sting debut and the surprise you have to hand it to AEW Moxley’s debut and Miro’s
    Debut to a lesser extent were a complete surprise.

WWE have a mix of an internal source leaking things out of spite and them purpose leaking things in the hope of a ratings spike.

I have to say I’m really enjoying AEW lately. Lots of good. I still don’t think they needed Sting but that’s a small gripe.

Even doing business with Impact lots guessed and hoped something might happen however I don't think anyone would have expected what happened last night.

Even doing business with Impact lots guessed and hoped something might happen however I don't think anyone would have expected what happened last night.

If you were to tell me they were working together, I would have expected a lower level working arrangement. Like Sami vs Mox or MCMG vs The Bucks in challenge matches rather than a full blown angle.

Im surprised and curious to see where its going, though I do dislike invasion angles personally. But sure if anyone is capable of doing it right Its AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

J. Marston wrote: »
    Edge showed that.

That was spoiled beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I may have said before but the one problem with cross promotional stuff like this is keeping up. I know it's to put eyes on the other promotion but take for example the NWA women's title. It has been defended on AEW shows. Now the new AEW champion is going to explain his reasons on Impact.
    Does part of the deal involve airing footage from the other promotions. Like if I don't watch Impact next week, will they have clips of it on Dynamite?
    Going back to the NWA title, Thunder Rosa fought Shida on AEW, she then lost the title to Serena Deeb around the time Deeb signed for AEW, I believe, so now Deeb is suddenly a champion on AEW and we didn't see that happen.
    I know there are others who hold titles but they aren't currently recognised on AEW television. As well as holding multiple titles from different promotions in the indies.

• Advertisement

Sure look, boxing has had multiple titles for long enough within divisions, so feck it. :pac:

Kenny showing up on Impact does make sense given Callis runs the show and because they'll probably make it a "safe space" for Kenny. Some proper heat to draw from it that's what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

J. Marston wrote: »
    Does anyone actually want to see broken down 55 year old Taker versus an equally broken down 61 year old Sting?

They might be able to do a cinematic match but a regular in-ring singles match would be a pitiful sight.

I don’t want to see Sting full stop in the ring ever again. He was passé in his WWE run, booking and initial debut aside. I love AEW but this does zero for me. Don’t love it, don’t like it, just meh. Unless Sting is gonna be kayfabe coaching Darby or something then it holds no interest for me and even at that I wouldn’t care all that much.

Agree on the Battle Royal, the last man standing should be the winner. They (not AEW but wrestling in general) yet again went with the eliminated but not eliminated angle again. If you leave the ring through middle or bottom rope, you should have a ten count to get back in or else you’re counted out and eliminated. Enough refs are there for that.

Really liked Leyla Hirsh vs Britt Baker. Kaz vs Jericho was fine. The main event was fine and the ending gets the curiosity level up but I don’t feel the execution of it was all that great.

All in all I’m a little underwhelmed following the show but I’m mad excited to tune in next week. Funny how it goes sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Callihan/Mox will surely be one of the inter-promotional matches if any happen - the history writes itself, plus I think Sami might be a prime suspect for attacking Mox backstage.

Would love to see the Bucks or FTR against the North too.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

One thing I'd like to see AEW get out of this is some Impact footage for video packages on Sting and whoever else. Maybe Christopher Daniels

Get Jericho on Impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I’ve been fairly indifferent to AEW for a few months, and I’m not at all saying what happened on Wednesday was bad, but some of the reaction and hyperbole to that finish as if it was the greatest thing in wrestling ever is ridiculous. I admire them for trying some new stuff and I like the idea, but I was underwhelmed by the execution.. some podcasts I listen to ( particularly WhatCulture wrestling, which I usually like) are becoming unlistenable in that their praise for all things AEW is becoming grating and their fawning over the product is tiresome.. I’m well aware wwe is pretty mediocre for the most part but I feel in some quarters, the pro AEW sentiment is sometimes heavily influenced by the poor quality of wwe week in week out and not purely looking at AEW in isolation.. maybe I’m missing something, but dynamite really isn’t doing much for me in recent months and I find a lot of it very smug in their booking ( Cody).. I’ll keep an eye on things as they happen but I’m doing with Wednesday night watching for a while

AEW 913k ranked 2nd most watched show of the night.

NXT 658k ranked 40th most watched show of the night.

Considering AEW got a milliom in Sept, Id say they were expecting more, esp when NXT didnt counter book.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bit worrying that AEW put on their biggest world title match for free on tv and didn’t draw over the million mark.

And not to mention that wasn’t a one match card. The card was stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Loughc wrote: »
    Bit worrying that AEW put on their biggest world title match for free on tv and didn’t draw over the million mark.

And not to mention that wasn’t a one match card. The card was stacked.

Was it though? They gave away Omega/Mox (though the finish means there's a rubber match in future) and what else? The battle royal? The Cody/Darby/Team Tazz tag that was always going to be on TV anyway. The Sting debut, though again doing that on TV is the better option than ppv. It was a fun card, big time main event, two big angles, but in terms of emptying the holster it was far from that.

And the million is a nice number sure but it's the AEW demo that will please the people in that room. This company has a young fan base, a few olds not watching isn't so bad.

• Advertisement

I'm reading that Don Callis's contract with Impact is up at the end of the month.

I wonder what that means for the whole crossover is it a one off and he will then join AEW once he is a free agent.

I'm reading that Don Callis's contract with Impact is up at the end of the month.

I wonder what that means for the whole crossover is it a one off and he will then join AEW once he is a free agent.

Would be very gracious of Impact so to play ball in that case like they are doing. A one off Kenny appearance isn't going to do all that much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Mjf and Jerichos musical number was listed as one of the performances of 2020 by the New York Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciaran2054

Meltzer doesn’t think Sting will be bumping much but will still be there weekly.

Are they thinking as a manager for Darby?

Was it though? They gave away Omega/Mox (though the finish means there's a rubber match in future) and what else? The battle royal? The Cody/Darby/Team Tazz tag that was always going to be on TV anyway. The Sting debut, though again doing that on TV is the better option than ppv. It was a fun card, big time main event, two big angles, but in terms of emptying the holster it was far from that.

And the million is a nice number sure but it's the AEW demo that will please the people in that room. This company has a young fan base, a few olds not watching isn't so bad.

But less people watched arguably their most hyped show ever and less. It was a strong number but surely they would have hoped to break the million mark. Noy saying that its a bad number, its just not what they expected surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think people being blinded by the demo ratings and just totally ignoring total audience figures. To build an audience you need all kinds of viewers to get more buzz about your show. Let’s face when we talk about raws terrible ratings we talk about there total auidance not just demos

They doing good numbers but not to do over a million when they give there biggest match away for free is not ideal but its all about follow up does the increase in viewership stay after there big angle cause in the past when they’ve got close or over million they’ve gone back quickly to the usual 850k ish mark they get

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

While it’s a big moment to have sting on AEW, the real test will be how they use him going forward. I doubt very much he’s going to be taking bumps of any kind so because he’s sting whenever he’s at ringside he’ll be one people are watching and not what is in the ring.

I could see Kenny defending the title all over the world now from America to Japan to Mexico they just need to find a European promotion now.

Jesus I am so OVER the demos argumenT. It’s been done. Imagine claiming that the 100k people that didn’t tune in were all oldies we didn’t want them anyway. A ludicrous comment.

If AEW don’t grow their audience over the 1m mark they can’t grow their ppv buys and grow their business etc. If they’re happy to stay as they are then hey that’s a fantastic figure.

As I said I enjoyed the show loved the ending and there’s a lot of positives. I thought they would have blown the 1m mark easily given the much anticipated Omega Mox title match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I enjoyed the ending, it caught me by surprise, so kudos on that.

Though one or two things about it were absurd:

Don't have Kenny and Don pass so many people backstage during their escape, and not have anyone try to stop them. They should have gone out that side ramp (where FTR park their truck).

Also, Marvez spawning in the loading bay to ask what was going on. Was he out there all night? Can he move at the speed of light? Forget the Callis/Impact angle, this is something I'd much rather they discuss next week.

Did anyone else notice rose petals go everywhere when Moxley hit Callis? Did Callis drop them or were they there from earlier? (This wasn't absurd, I'm just curious what went on there).

Advertisement