Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I may be having a late night brain fart but has Cody be on tv with the bucks/Kenny or page lately feels like they haven’t in months maybe just trying to distance from the nightmare but just popped in my head and I can’t remember last time they we’re together on screen

I don’t watch bte anymore so they maybe on that all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Loughc wrote: »
    Jesus I am so OVER the demos argumenT. It’s been done. Imagine claiming that the 100k people that didn’t tune in were all oldies we didn’t want them anyway. A ludicrous comment.

If AEW don’t grow their audience over the 1m mark they can’t grow their ppv buys and grow their business etc. If they’re happy to stay as they are then hey that’s a fantastic figure.

As I said I enjoyed the show loved the ending and there’s a lot of positives. I thought they would have blown the 1m mark easily given the much anticipated Omega Mox title match.

Didn't see anyone say that. But the over 50s is the least valuable segment of the audience. There's no arguing that, that's just a fact. The over 50s just aren't that into AEW, it's that simple. It's the only category that NXT usually beats AEW in, WWE's audience skews older. They're loyal, that's been proven time and again, these over 50s show up for their weekly fix of WWE no matter what. AEW's audience, being younger, can fluctuate a bit more.

Obviously they're trying to grow, it's a year in. They're hitting numbers that are very good (again, most importantly the demo number) and, like any show, that's the number they'll keep trying to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

MJF as a in ring performer is still a kid, loads of potential but plenty of time to get there. As a wrestling personality, character if you will, he is just so damn good. No one can touch him. A gem that WWE will rue the day the missed out on him.

He just gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,372 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MJF is 24, Jungle Boy is 22, Ricky Starks is 26, Darby Allin & Sammy Guevara are 27 there is 5 guys that can lead AEW for the next decade they are young in wrestling terms and each just gets it when it comes to wrestling.

Having the like of Arn, Tully, Jake, Sting, Hardy & Jericho around them can only be a good thing for them and the other younger wrestlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

MJF is 24, Jungle Boy is 22, Ricky Starks is 26, Darby Allin & Sammy Guevara are 27 there is 5 guys that can lead AEW for the next decade they are young in wrestling terms and each just gets it when it comes to wrestling.

Having the like of Arn, Tully, Jake, Sting, Hardy & Jericho around them can only be a good thing for them and the other younger wrestlers.

Not a chance. Like it or not, size matters in wrestling and AEW would be foolish to have 5 skinny guys under 5'9 as their leading men.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Not a chance. Like it or not, size matters in wrestling and AEW would be foolish to have 5 skinny guys under 5'9 as their leading men.

I disagree. Not saying they will or wont be top tier main eventers, but if they are stars they will be stars. Size wont matter.

People thought HBK was too small and skinny, and he turned one of the greatest of all time. Daniel Bryan proved that size didnt matter. Jericho was another. Eddie G.

Sure Becky Lynch proved that gender doesnt mean ****. If you have it and booked right, you can make it.

If booked right, and if they have the right attitude, any one can be a star. Some have it and some dont, but those guys mentioned have the potential to be top tier. Lets hope they achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I disagree. Not saying they will or wont be top tier main eventers, but if they are stars they will be stars. Size wont matter.

People thought HBK was too small and skinny, and he turned one of the greatest of all time. Daniel Bryan proved that size didnt matter. Jericho was another. Eddie G.

Sure Becky Lynch proved that gender doesnt mean ****. If you have it and booked right, you can make it.

If booked right, and if they have the right attitude, any one can be a star. Some have it and some dont, but those guys mentioned have the potential to be top tier. Lets hope they achieve it.

It's all about booking and star power, as you say. But context is also extremely important. Take Michaels and Lynch as two examples - both superstars and both outstanding workers. But also, their size was almost part of the story. Michaels was a little chicken when he was a heel (getting the likes of Diesel or later DX to protect/win matches for him) and he was also a great plucky underdog when he was babyface. Same goes for Lynch, in many respects; her win in the main event at WM35 was in part so special because she beat a legit MMA fighter, and a woman very close to 6 feet tall.

So absolutely, smaller wrestlers have their place, if they're good enough. But you wouldn't want a roster with primarily small male talent at the top. I don't think that's the optimal situation at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

J. Marston wrote: »

Size matters in WWE because they are still working off of the 70s/80s mentality of bigger guy=better wrestler.

The rest of the wrestling world doesn't care. Most Japanese wrestlers, luchadores etc. are average height because wrestling is about ability in these organisations. Aew is going for that. WWE can keep their 6 foot 8 failed football player who can barely run the ropes whilst they wonder why they keep slowly bleeding viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

just something about sammy i cant like in ring, i dont think he is very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Out of all the younger crew in AEW for me Darby and Starks in particular are money. Ricky just has it, you could tell even back on Power that he looked a special talent.

I think if Jungle Boy has any of his fathers acting ability and even if he doesn’t they should be getting him guest spots on CW shows that would be a great target audience for them to target to bring in new fans.

The boy has baby face superstar written all over him.

The CW is a sister channel to TNT

I love Jungle Boy, hes just the prefect underdog babyface. He should have won the battle royal, no OC. OC is fine, but Im kinda over him since his feud with Jericho. He needs to evolve a bit more. His gimmick is fine but its not anything beyond midcard.

Jungle Boy would have been the better choice. Loved his spot with Sammy

Here is what happened when Kingston called out Archer as Dynamite went off the air.

Kingston and Bunny are great.

Kingston with the spot monkey call is so funny.

Jungle Boy is by some distance their biggest potential star. I'd even go as far as saying he has more star potential than Darby, Sammy, MJF and Starks combined. He could legit have his own cartoon series or movie some day.

Jungle Boy has potential for sure but he's 22 and he's so thin it's crazy. He's in a nice spot atm, stick with the tag stuff, keep developing without a big spotlight on him, fill out his frame that's when you do the big push.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciaran2054

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Jungle Boy is by some distance their biggest potential star. I'd even go as far as saying he has more star potential than Darby, Sammy, MJF and Starks combined. He could legit have his own cartoon series or movie some day.

Outrageous comment.

ciaran2054 wrote: »
    Outrageous comment.

Its a tad over the top. Hes got potential and can go. I love him but that comment is just not based in reality.

Outrageous potential.

It's been reported that it's a taped segment that was filmed over the weekend.

https://twitter.com/TheDonCallis/status/1335686115882393601?s=20

• Advertisement

Don is a great man to have behind an evil mastermind charcater. Loved his brief stunt as the Jackyl in WWF and as Cyrys is ECW. Always an interesting on screen character

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Neil3030 wrote: »

Jungle Boy is good in ring and i'm sure he will be there or there abouts on promos eventually but it's bonkers to put him over any of those 4 right now.

They are all better than him right now, especailly MJF. He's a once in a lifetime heel. There's a reason Jericho wants to work with him a lot and the New York Times are including him in Best Performance of 2020 lists. He's a cut above.

Jungle Boy is doing generic plucky babyface stuff in tag matches along with the odd solid solo match. That's fine but it doesn't make you very memorable.

Jungle Boy is good in ring and i'm sure he will be there or there abouts on promos eventually but it's bonkers to put him over any of those 4 right now.

They are all better than him right now, especailly MJF. He's a once in a lifetime heel. There's a reason Jericho wants to work with him a lot and the New York Times are including him in Best Performance of 2020 lists. He's a cut above.

Jungle Boy is doing generic plucky babyface stuff in tag matches along with the odd solid solo match. That's fine but it doesn't make you very memorable.

Excellent response to whatever point you made in your head. Because it certainly wasn't relevant to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

ThePott wrote: »

Shaq is about 10 years too late to the pro wrestling party.

Ive no problem with AEW getting in a Celeb, but is Shaq the man to get them more mainstream eyes on them? I dont think so.

And from a wrestling fan POV, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Shaq is another massive meh from me after Sting. It’s the type of stuff I’d hope AEW would be steering away from if I’m honest. If they’re just in for publicity purposes and an angle that’s ok but being feature performers isn’t something I care about.

TNT may want Shaq there for promotional reasons as he is the main colour man for there NBA programming and with his history of involvement in wrestling it would logical for them to use him.

And since TNT already pay him millions it probably isnt costing AEW anything financially to use him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Agreed, Stroke Daddy is going to be catch fire the second he turns face.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do you think they need mics on the cameras they use? Have seen a number of times where people talk to the camera but can never hear what they're saying, especially on Dark. Considering these would be the closest a lot of them get to promos at the moment, I think they should be heard.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Shaq is another massive meh from me after Sting. It’s the type of stuff I’d hope AEW would be steering away from if I’m honest. If they’re just in for publicity purposes and an angle that’s ok but being feature performers isn’t something I care about.

Imagine coming away from that Sting debut segment with a meh.

Advertisement