Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciaran2054

I’d take two hours of Tony Schivone at this point. The guy has been in the wrestling wilderness for far too long. He was fine in WCW but he just comes across as an all round great guy now.

JR on the other hand...

This weeks episode was pretty good. Maybe 20 mins of stuff that I could skip but overall another two hours of weekly wrestling I can’t believe I’m watching religiously again.

High spots - Darby promo, Team Tazz promo, Kenny, Don, Hangman, a women’s storyline.

Low spots - Shaq/Brandi

Where’s Brodie Lee gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

For anyone who may care.

They were 5K away from the million viewer mark last night. Coming in at 995K.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Mister Lee is nirsing an ankle injury I believe.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    For anyone who may care.

They were 5K away from the million viewer mark last night. Coming in at 995K.

Great for AEW and therefore prowrestling.

They’ll regularly hit the million mark in the next few months which is a nice milestone when renegotiating tv money. Which allows them to invest more in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thik JR nearly panicked when The Best Friends brought out all the guys from the back since he may have only known the Varsity Blondes

• Advertisement

ciaran2054 wrote: »
    Great for AEW and therefore prowrestling.

They’ll regularly hit the million mark in the next few months which is a nice milestone when renegotiating tv money. Which allows them to invest more in the company.

I'd say it's a target for them, get as near to as often as possible. Be some achievement if they hit the million on a regular and consistent basis, though it wouldn't be bad going for Dynamite being on air just over a year. Especially when you take into account that pro wrestling is a niche thing in the States.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

I'd say it's a target for them, get as near to as often as possible. Be some achievement if they hit the million on a regular and consistent basis, though it wouldn't be bad going for Dynamite being on air just over a year. Especially when you take into account that pro wrestling is a niche thing in the States.

TNTs projections for AEW before it started were around 300k a week. They were just going to use it as a lead in to a new movie on the channel every week.

The TV deal got re-upped after a few weeks when they saw it was doing at least double the numbers that they thought it would do every week. They want a second weekly show and that is supposed to be in the works at the moment.

From a viewpoint of dollars spent to viewers gained, TNT is getting a bargain of a lifetime. Meanwhile there are rumors that NXT was essentially an ad-buy on the network it is on and it has backfired spectacularly because people don't want to see Gargano/Ciampa 67 whilst they wonder why Adam Cole has spent 8 million years in developmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

A 0.45 in the demo too, 0.57 in males 18-49. Incredibly strong numbers and proof that the two big angles from last week, Sting and Omega, are hot. Again a really good show. Two quick thoughts.

No team I've ever seen lays out a match better than the Young Bucks, the timing of the spots, the flow of the match, the crescendo, it's a real work of art.

The 2nd is that MJF is very good in ring. There's room to improve even more, but he's very good and I thought his showing in that main event was maybe his best in ring performance yet for AEW. Real masterful heel performance in it that shouldn't go under the radar.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

beakerjoe get out of my brain!! :pac:

I agree with 100% of your points!

Completely agree. That’s an excellent post by beakerjoe. A very balanced and fair view on things. Refreshing to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Costs about 700 roundtrip including hotel for a few nights in Florida for the Dec 30th Dynamite. I'm so tempted and even though I'm almost certain I had COVID, not sure is it worth the risk. Looks set to be a stacked show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Agree with BeakerJoe, I’m sick of Dustin Rhodes. Was fuming when him and QT beat The Butcher and Blade. Thought him going over 10 was crap too. Why would he even consider joining Dark Order after beating one of their guys seconds previously. Had he lost the match, then Uno’s offer to join DO makes more sense. He’s one of the only acts I can’t get behind but I do like his promo ability.

No team I've ever seen lays out a match better than the Young Bucks, the timing of the spots, the flow of the match, the crescendo, it's a real work of art.

While they’re entertaining, a lot of their stuff looks too choreographed for me. It’s like cirque de solais or something at times. Flips for the sake of it at times.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Agree with BeakerJoe, I’m sick of Dustin Rhodes. Was fuming when him and QT beat The Butcher and Blade. Thought him going over 10 was crap too. Why would he even consider joining Dark Order after beating one of their guys seconds previously. Had he lost the match, then Uno’s offer to join DO makes more sense. He’s one of the only acts I can’t get behind but I do like his promo ability.

After his feud with Cody, Ive been done. Theres just no value in him at this stage. He needs to be putting guys over. QT is a decent guy but hes bland as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Was a nice Seven call-back from Uno in the promo though!

Was a nice Seven call-back from Uno in the promo though!

I love stuff like that, it’s a nice little wink and nod to long time fans without being overtly pandering and smashing kayfabe. As much as I love Eddie Kingston, him calling Rey Fenix a spot monkey was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Omackeral wrote: »
    While they’re entertaining, a lot of their stuff looks too choreographed for me. It’s like cirque de solais or something at times. Flips for the sake of it at times.

I'll never be able to wrap my head around the "if there's flips it's bad" thought process.

One thing I didnt note this week, Miro.

To say hes been poorly booked is an understatement. I have hated his run so far in AEW and I really like the guy. Enjoyed many parts of his WWE run (though he was booked horribly at times).

But it shows how quickly a guy can be rehabbed to the audience. A solid weeks for him and hes turning the corner. Looked like a monster on the most recent show. I wanna see him destroy the Best Friends ("give the people what they want" No matter how much they say it on commentary, I do not want it. What I do want is for Chuck to be launched far away from AEW by Miro) and then ditch Kip.

But yeah, Im happy hes turning the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

beakerjoe wrote: »
    After his feud with Cody, Ive been done. Theres just no value in him at this stage. He needs to be putting guys over. QT is a decent guy but hes bland as fcuk.

I cannot stand QT - totally bland, boring, nothing of merit.

I am all for suspension of disbelief but Allie/Bunny being wit HIM? come on now that's too far fetched!

He has almost 'change the channel' heat with me

I am all for suspension of disbelief but Allie/Bunny being wit HIM? come on now that's too far fetched!

I dont hate him, but I dont care for him either. Hes a good worker, but he looks bland, talks bland and is very forgetable. Nothing grabs me with him at all. Similar to Burch and Lorcan. All look way to generic and jobber like.

Any one fans of Arrested Development with Jason Bateman..... well he reminds me of George Michael GF Ann.

I concur!

QT, Luther and Sonny Kiss are automatic fast forwards for me. I gave each of them a long chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

To be fair the entire nightmare family is a bit of a sh1t show. Turn Cody and make them his even douchier Entourage and they might have something.

Will they actually be there this time around, and not filmed and edited in.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1337485974864007169

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Will they actually be there this time around, and not filmed and edited in.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1337485974864007169

I'd say so if the plan is for Swann or Moose (I'm assuming Swann) to drop the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Omega is defending the AAA Mega championship against Laredo Kid tomorrow night (Sunday 1am) at TripleMania. The whole show is being shown for free live on AAA's YouTube channel.

ciaran2054 wrote: »
    I concur!

QT, Luther and Sonny Kiss are automatic fast forwards for me. I gave each of them a long chance.

Luthar and SK are not big parts of AEW to be fair.

Dustin Rhodes and QT are an instant fast forward for me. Dustin is in great shape for his age tbf to him but I couldn't care less about him.

Also on this list would be Brandi Rhodes, Joey Janela, Sunny Kiss, Best friends, Jake Hager, Shawn Spears and SCU.

This is coming from a big fan of AEW as well haha and feel like I've named half the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Agree on that list bar Best Friends. Add Kip Sabian in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Luthar and SK are not big parts of AEW to be fair.

They're on Dark often enough. Sonny and or Joey have been in the main event or pre main event match a number of times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Dustin Rhodes and QT are an instant fast forward for me. Dustin is in great shape for his age tbf to him but I couldn't care less about him.

Also on this list would be Brandi Rhodes, Joey Janela, Sunny Kiss, Best friends, Jake Hager, Shawn Spears and SCU.

This is coming from a big fan of AEW as well haha and feel like I've named half the roster.

Pretty harsh list. I'm always up for watching Janela do incredibly dumb hardcore ****, Best Friends are a great tag team who realise that wrestling is ultimately very silly so they are going to be the silliest team, Spears is a guy who always surprises me by showing he is more than a "sports entertainer" and SCU are a good fit for random tag matches.

I agree about every one else you've listed. The most that they should be doing is Dark until they get better in ring or figure out a compelling gimmick. The wrestling school guys at ringside are occasionally more interesting than the guys signed full time.

• Advertisement

I have to disagree with your takes on Hager and SCU. Hager is admittedly boring in ring, but hes been an entertaining figure within the Inner Circle. Decent comedic timing and delivery.

SCU are a very slick veteran tag team. Both Daniels and Kaz are in great shaoe for their age and have been used effectively to get others over. Past their prime maybe, but this very good.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    They're on Dark often enough. Sonny and or Joey have been in the main event or pre main event match a number of times.

Yeah its dark, its ultimatly their B show. Never really involved with storylines much. I dont mind Joey and Sunny at all. They dont make me tune in but they don't make me switch off either.

Advertisement