Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

TNT may want Shaq there for promotional reasons as he is the main colour man for there NBA programming and with his history of involvement in wrestling it would logical for them to use him.

And since TNT already pay him millions it probably isnt costing AEW anything financially to use him.

And the new NBA season starts on December 22nd, so in a way it makes sense, him being on AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

TNT may want Shaq there for promotional reasons as he is the main colour man for there NBA programming and with his history of involvement in wrestling it would logical for them to use him.

And since TNT already pay him millions it probably isnt costing AEW anything financially to use him.

I don't want to see him wrestle but like you said might be for promotional reasons rather than being active in-ring so think people should at least see what the plan is before having a go at AEW for using Shaq.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Omackeral wrote: »
    Shaq is another massive meh from me after Sting. It’s the type of stuff I’d hope AEW would be steering away from if I’m honest. If they’re just in for publicity purposes and an angle that’s ok but being feature performers isn’t something I care about.

There are ways to use celebrities, no doubt. It all depends on how they use him.

My assumption is that it will lead to a Cody v Shaq match. As a wrestling fan, I couldnt care less.

From a mainstream POV Im not sure how famous Shaq is in the states these days. If hes in a punditry type role like Gaz Neville, then he may still generate some buzz.

I assumed he was a bit of a "Ill do anything" kinda guy as Ive seen him on a few reality based shows and based off that I assumed he wouldnt be such a buzz.

Hes obviously not the star he once was but he could help them pop a number and draw in new fans potentially if hes still a popular figure and not the reality show whore I perceive him to be.
    Imagine coming away from that Sting debut segment with a meh.

Its very possible. I enjoyed Tony S's call from a nostalgic POV, but beyond that why should I care about Sting in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Wrestling legend, presented really well in an excellent segment. Who knows what the plan is with him but, even in 2020, giving it a meh after 1 segment (which was great) is odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,409 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A year ago I would have asked what does a broken down Jake Roberts who hasn't been relevant to wrestling since 1989 apart from giving Austin 3:16 in a couple of month run in 1996 have to offer wrestling 30 years later other than showing what the downside of being a wrestler is.

Well I waited to see and he is giving some of the best wrestling managerial promos in decades.

So I am happy to wait and see.

• Advertisement

Wrestling legend, presented really well in an excellent segment. Who knows what the plan is with him but, even in 2020, giving it a meh after 1 segment (which was great) is odd.

Had Sting been 50, Id probebly be more excited and inclined to agree wit you.

At 61, I just can't be excited by the prospect of Sting wrestling in 2020. The segment was a nice nostalgic piece but beyond that I fear the worst.

The impression I get from Tony K is that hes here to be an active performer. Id rather him be used sparingly or retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

A year ago I would have asked what does a broken down Jake Roberts who hasn't been relevant to wrestling since 1989 apart from giving Austin 3:16 in a couple of month run in 1996 have to offer wrestling 30 years later other than showing what the downside of being a wrestler is.

Well I waited to see and he is giving some of the best wrestling managerial promos in decades.

Jake has always been regarded as one of the best promo men in the business. If it wasn't for his alcoholism, he would have made a great manager much sooner I reckon.

Im happy to wait and see, and Ill be happily surprised if Im proved wrong.

Jakes a great promo guy and can still talk the talk.

Do you think Sting at 61 can still walk the walk as an in ring performer?

Six of the sixteen matches on Dark are women's matches, good to see AEW using that platform to give more shine to the women's division.

Will look to see will Cutler and Avalon keep getting wins but apart from that doesn't seem like the most must not miss episode of Dark I've ever seen. Although I believe there's another wrestling show on tonight AEW fans might be interested in!

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im happy to wait and see, and Ill be happily surprised if Im proved wrong.

Jakes a great promo guy and can still talk the talk.

Do you think Sting at 61 can still walk the walk as an in ring performer?

I'd be very highly surprised if he is going to be an in ring performer they may do some cinematic thing to pay off a storyline I don't see actually wrestling.

He will more than likely be used in a mentor role just like Taz, Arn, Tully, Vickie & Jake.

Sting mentoring Darby plus A another & Abadon faction I can get behind that.

Or even taking over The Dark Order.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Had Sting been 50, Id probebly be more excited and inclined to agree wit you.

At 61, I just can't be excited by the prospect of Sting wrestling in 2020. The segment was a nice nostalgic piece but beyond that I fear the worst.

The impression I get from Tony K is that hes here to be an active performer. Id rather him be used sparingly or retire.

There's more of a chance of me being an active in ring wrestler for AEW than Sting. The odd gimmick match, the odd tag match, maybe even a cinematic match. That'll be it for his in ring, there's not a hope he's wrestling on Dynamite every week or even once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Imagine coming away from that Sting debut segment with a meh.

I've never cared for Sting one way or the other. Wasn't a WCW guy at all in the 90's. His run in WWE showed me nothing great (and was years after anyone wanted it) plus it wasn't with the guy people clamoured for. He also isn't anything special on the mic either. So why should I be bowled over by him showing up in 2020 exactly for a multiyear deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've never cared for Sting one way or the other. Wasn't a WCW guy at all in the 90's. His run in WWE showed me nothing great (and was years after anyone wanted it) plus it wasn't with the guy people clamoured for. He also isn't anything special on the mic either. So why should I be bowled over by him showing up in 2020 exactly for a multiyear deal?

Great American Bash 90 was the second VHS tape i ever owned after WWF Survivor Series 89. The Stinger in the main event against Flair. Probably the first proper title match I ever seen.

I used to sneak go to my grans house every friday to watch wrestling on tnt. Seen the whole Crow Sting character form, bailed out around 2000. Then became a big TNA fan.

TNA he was showing his limitations though I felt back then. Never had a classic stand out brawl.

When he came to WWE it was a holy poop moment, however AEW not so much.

I can understand why people would think its not the biggest of acquisitions in terms of excitement. He wasnt great in TNA or WWE.

There's more of a chance of me being an active in ring wrestler for AEW than Sting. The odd gimmick match, the odd tag match, maybe even a cinematic match. That'll be it for his in ring, there's not a hope he's wrestling on Dynamite every week or even once a month.

I get what your saying, but my point is that Im not really caring for Sting being a mentor or in ring performer. His time has come and passed. Its just not a big deal for me. Ive not much interest in seeing him in 2020.

Jake aside, I could happily enjoy AEW week in week out without Arn, Tully or Sting. Jake being the exception as he still cut a better promo than most of the roster.

Just reading Sting and Khan have been good friends for years as Stings son had tryouts with Jacksonville Jaguars in 2015

Punk on Renne's podcast
    Punk answered the question by stating that he would need a fun story to tell and "the stupidest amount of money" to return. He admitted that AEW would be more enticing only because there are more wrestlers that he hasn't faced in AEW than in WWE.

"What would it take?," Punk pondered. "Oh gosh, without wanting to insult anybody on either side of the fence, any WWE talent or AEW talent, it would take, above all, an interesting scenario, a story that would be fun to tell [and] also just the stupidest amount of money, but they could save themselves a whole lot of money if they just presented just a fun storyline.

"What that is I don't know. I'm a pretty picky guy, especially at this point. I think there's more interesting people on the AEW side of things for me to wrestle but that's just because I've never wrestled them before. Young Bucks [and] Kenny Omega. Talking about your husband (Jon Moxley), I look at that and I go, 'well, I wrestled him already,' so it's just less interesting than something new. And on the WWE side of things, I don't know that there's anybody there currently that I haven't wrestled that I would be interested in wrestling."

It feels like he is getting a taste for it (Money ;)) again over the last couple of months talking more and more about wrestling.

So Kenny implied he is going to be a traveling World Champion collecting titles is what I took from his Impact appearance and he will explain more on Dynamite tonight.

Tony also teases buying Impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Tony also teases buying Impact.

I loved the whole tongue firmly in cheek aspect of that paid ad.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I loved the whole tongue firmly in cheek aspect of that paid ad.

I was impressed with Tony K however you could tell he was nervous as hell doing it.

Tony S was awesome as the straight man beside him, I worked there once and quit the business for 18 years :)

• Advertisement

Tony Schiavone is a gem, great that he's back on our screens. Looking forward to the interview with Sting tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He seemed to be nervous but got a bit more comfortable as it went on.
    At the same time it helped sell it more as being an unprofessional ad, including the overall quality when we know he could afford better production values.
    Even Heath had better quality campaign ads.

So everyone see this week's Waiting Room? Dustin having a wee dig at Cole then Marko Stunt performing a song.
    Once again Rebel Reba Rebel's laugh was a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I can get behind a worked feud between AEW and Impact. And I actually like the ad with Khan and Tony S. That's exactly how this meta feud should be booked, AEW confident in its larger success, calling out the minnow trying to get leverage off them.

But I also count 4 shots at WWE in Callis/Omega's segment with Matthews. That really needs to stop.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I can get behind a worked feud between AEW and Impact. And I actually like the ad with Khan and Tony S. That's exactly how this meta feud should be booked, AEW confident in its larger success, calling out the minnow trying to get leverage off them.

But I also count 4 shots at WWE in Callis/Omega's segment with Matthews. That really needs to stop.

What a snore! Who doesn't love a few tiny shots being thrown. It's hardly VKM in the IMPACT Zone doing a 15 minute "shoot" promo. Why does wrestling competition have to be boring?

Rival sports brands, clubs, leagues ect do it all the time!

What a snore! Who doesn't love a few tiny shots being thrown. It's hardly VKM in the IMPACT Zone doing a 15 minute "shoot" promo. Why does wrestling competition have to be boring?

Rival sports brands, clubs, leagues ect do it all the time!

I actually like the shots once there done intellegently and dont come off too bitter. WWE exists, why pretend it doesnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

People who complain about that stuff haven't seemingly spent much time in America. Ads for everything here blatantly **** on the competition every chance they get. It's the done thing.

People who complain about that stuff haven't seemingly spent much time in America. Ads for everything here blatantly **** on the competition every chance they get. It's the done thing.

I endorse post.

Don't buy your car of used Joes as they are to used come to used Micks our used cars are less used. paid for by used Micks.

I love the ads for meds on US TV take these and they may kill you however ask your doctor first before taking them just in case.

I endorse post.

Don't buy your car of used Joes as they are to used come to used Micks our used cars are less used. paid for by used Micks.

I love the ads for meds on US TV take these and they may kill you however ask your doctor first before taking them just in case.

God they are great.

Have you asthma? Trouble breathing? Weezy at every hour?

Try AsthmaGoway

Warning : AsthmaGoway may cause breathing difficulties, lung cancer and heart defects.

****ing love America

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Don't forget the classic "Contact your doctor if your erection is lasting more than 4 hours!". I'll prob call the GF and all the exes too if that was the case haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Acknowledge there is competition, of course. For e.g., highlight Moxley is a former WWE champ etc.

But don't make little inside jokes about how another company might be under performing - that makes the company look petty and small time. Especially since WWE still dwarf AEW in terms of public awareness and revenues.

Like when Man City put a billboard up when they signed Tevez from United.

Just go about your business and show everyone you're better than WWE. Don't keep trying to tell us.

Advertisement