Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not the worst job. Anyone who does a lot of laptop repairs (DC jacks) should be able to solder it down fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

ED E wrote: »
    Its not the worst job. Anyone who does a lot of laptop repairs (DC jacks) should be able to solder it down fairly easily.

That's a relief. It's a weird issue as it doesn't look loose, you only notice once the cable is inserted.

Currently trying to register my card on gigabyte's site. You need a code (check number) which was only on the box. Ridiculous. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Could be the backplate that's loose and not the connection

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Could be the backplate that's loose and not the connection

I ended up fixing it, there's two little tabs inside the HDMI port that need to be slightly raised up in order for the port to grip the connector.

Relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Got on to Amazon.de about the missing displayport 1.4 cable from my GL850 order.

They refunded 23.69 to my account so I pretty much picked up the monitor for €230.

Just going to order 2 cables from amazon.uk now before brexit hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

BloodBath wrote: »
    Got on to Amazon.de about the missing displayport 1.4 cable from my GL850 order.

They refunded 23.69 to my account so I pretty much picked up the monitor for €230.

Just going to order 2 cables from amazon.uk now before brexit hits.

Nice, reminds me of the time i got onto them about the power supply tester being missing from my EVGA psu (from warehouse) and they refunded me 30% of the price :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nice, reminds me of the time i got onto them about the power supply tester being missing from my EVGA psu (from warehouse) and they refunded me 30% of the price :pac:

Next time I order a graphics card or CPU from them, I'm gonna tell them the stickers are missing. Should get 50% off for that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Weird one guys, wondering if anyone can help. Logged into my laptop which I loaded to my sister while she was waiting for her job to sort her out with one to WFH. I tried logging into my college Office365 account and got an error "trusted platform module malfunction 80284001". Anyone seen something like that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Idea for GPU reviews - follow phone reviewers and use the card for their 'daily driver' for a week or so. Wouldn't transfer perfectly but if they were regularly gaming on a few titles I think they'd get a better view of how the card performs in the real world and could formulate opinions on it. Becnhmarks and bar charts are okay but I'd much prefer a bit of hands-on experience and this would pick up on things, good & bad, you'd only notice if you regularly played the games imo.

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Idea for GPU reviews - follow phone reviewers and use the card for their 'daily driver' for a week or so. Wouldn't transfer perfectly but if they were regularly gaming on a few titles I think they'd get a better view of how the card performs in the real world and could formulate opinions on it. Becnhmarks and bar charts are okay but I'd much prefer a bit of hands-on experience and this would pick up on things, good & bad, you'd only notice if you regularly played the games imo.

I think you're imagining things that they could pick up on. Other than a unique fan sound or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I think you're imagining things that they could pick up on. Other than a unique fan sound or something.

TBh I was just thinking about synthetic benchmarks and how they don't really map to user experience. Like saying X is 10% faster than Y doesn't tell the full story - 80 fps to 88fps, big deal, 50 to 55 could be much more noticeable etc. I went from a ryzen 1500x to a 9600K and the TimeSpy bump was 9% but the actual difference I noticed in boot times, program loading, game smoothness, drivers etc was huge. Worked out to way more than "9%" in my actual experience.

Hardly any reviewers picked up on the 5700 series problems in their reviews also. Now maybe it was a hardware bug more than anything and they had good cards but they ended up saying later "X on our team uses the card and it did happen to him". So if they were using the card everyday this might have popped up for them as well. Also if they're using other programs they're more likely to see issues and get a better sense of the actual difference in the card to the user.

Ultimately the reviewers have no need to rush to get their reviews up anymore, the card makers put an end to that imo. The embargo lifts at the same time that they're available for sale now and people have shown they're willing to buy them before reviews, so may as well take their time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Ultimately the reviewers have no need to rush to get their reviews up anymore, the card makers put an end to that imo. The embargo lifts at the same time that they're available for sale now and people have shown they're willing to buy them before reviews, so may as well take their time imo.

Not exactly true, Linus Tech Tips actually covered this with the whole Nvidia and Hardware Unboxed scandal.

It's extremely important for them to get their reviews out as soon as the others do or as soon as the embargo is released because they need the views and the clicks. And the way the youtube algorithms work as well means the more views means it'll be the first results returned in searches or in recommendations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Would anyone have a spare AMD Corsair Mounting Kit they'd like to get rid of? The Pro XT (2 screw) one specifically..

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025169072-AM4-Socket-Compatibility-and-Bracket-Installation-Guide

I searched the box high and low and just found the threadripper one. Have a AMD board sorted, waiting on CPU and realized I'll likely need the fecking mount as well to transfer the cooler across...I'll keep hunting but if anyone else has one going spare, I'll happily take it off yer hands!

[Sorted by Spear - gent!]

Has anyone experienced something like this RMAing a GPU? Purchased via amazon however the return window is closed. Amazon chat told me to go back to gigabyte and now gigabyte is telling me to go back to amazon! This was dispatched by amazon.
    "Actually, from the product serial number, either the retailer is not from UK or they imported from European Unit countries. According to the EU policy, the retailer is required to provide at least 2 yeas warranty to the customers. Therefore, they are still responsible to provide service to you. You should let them know your rights as they have a legal obligation to support you.

If they still refuse to support you, we can arrange a special service for you; however, we will not be responsible for shipping costs and the case can only proceed if you agree to the following terms:

1. you are responsible for to-and-from freight charge to our Europe service center in Germany.
    2. the item will only be repaired if there is no customer induced damage and repairable.
    3. if the damage is not covered by warranty or not repairable, the service center will return the device as it is (without repair).
    4. swap/credit/refund can only proceed through your retailer.

Processing by your supplier may save you some money but you may let us know your decision.

Regards,
    GIGABYTE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In Europe your rights against the seller are much stronger than against the manufacturer. It would be more of a US thing to be dealing with the manufacturer. I've always dealt with the retailer, including Amazon, and never had an issue but that said Amazon's service has started to slip recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Has anyone experienced something like this RMAing a GPU? Purchased via amazon however the return window is closed. Amazon chat told me to go back to gigabyte and now gigabyte is telling me to go back to amazon! This was dispatched by amazon.

I'd an issue with a Fitbit I bought from Amazon, it was just past Amazon's return window but Amazon agent put me directly in contact with Fitbit themselves who issued me a replacement due to the EU 2 year warranty.

Not sure if this helps, but Amazon definitely worked as the 'middle man' in getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Doesn't this depend a lot on the reason of return?

If the product is not working as it should, then you should be covered with Amazon, regardless of the "return window". As far as I know, the return window (or "cooling off period") applies when the product has no issues, but customer has changed his/her mind about the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm dealing with Gigabyte at the moment. I just had to show them proof the other vendor was not dealing with me and they took up the issue. For me it was something simple though. (Heatsink for a motherboard).

Just finished live chat, they issued me a refund.

Shocked by that. Where am I gonna get a GPU now!

Just finished live chat, they issued me a refund.

Shocked by that. Where When am I gonna get a GPU now!

FYP

• Advertisement

FYP

I thought I was finished avoiding scalpers after getting a PS5...

I don't even know what to card to get. Will be CPU be bottle necking 30 series card? Running a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Depend whether the game is GPU bound, at higher resolutions the 2700X is going to hurt it a bit, but not much I'd say. What were you using before?

Depend whether the game is GPU bound, at higher resolutions the 2700X is going to hurt it a bit, but not much I'd say. What were you using before?

2070 8gb. Mostly playing at 1440p

2070 8gb. Mostly playing at 1440p

I'd say you'd be golden with a nice cheap 5700XT second hand or treat yourself to a 3060ti - stock seems to be dropping for them now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Aye, but there is a Nitro for €350 and it's not moving (last I checked) and we're in the silly season for prices so hopefully they'll go down a bit in the new year. It's a shame I didn't snag one of those 3080s the other day or I'd be letting my Red Devil go for c. €300 although it's not without it's foibles.

On that note the prices people are paying for stuff is just mental. €800 for a second hand 2080ti and not even a good one.

This lad is winding me up as well. "I hate Scalpers Spiel" and selling a 3060ti for just shy of €600 and a 3070 for €830.

On that note the prices people are paying for stuff is just mental. €800 for a second hand 2080ti and not even a good one.

Parents with no spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Parents with no spine.

Or no proper knowledge of PC stuff? Just want to get the part for kid?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This lad is winding me up as well. "I hate Scalpers Spiel" and selling a 3060ti for just shy of €600 and a 3070 for €830.

He's not selling one. He's posting updates when they are available on other sites. Just means people looking for cards on adverts come across someone helpful rather than trying to run with a rake of cash.

Advertisement