Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That Steve from HWU is a machine when it comes to benching games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

EoinHef wrote: »
    Intel have absolutely rang the neck of 14nm havent they.

Which is the crux of their problem, they made their 14nm so good that their new fab/process was worse, even with the usual generational jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Which is the crux of their problem, they made their 14nm so good that their new fab/process was worse, even with the usual generational jump.

Imagine if Intel could develop their own 5/3nm as much as they did their 14nm+++++++++++++++. The limits of silicon would still be a decent way off then although to be fair to AMD, they've done great on 7nm, especially with Zen 3, their momentum is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Anyone ever re-paste their GPU? I've an Gigabyte Windforce OC 2080 that's been going insane 80c+ while playing Apex, which I imagine wouldn't be the most intensive of games...and the fans are prone to revving wildly at times - but this seems to be Windforce issue in general. Anyone here experience doing it before? I imagine it's as straight forward as applying paste for CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Shlippery wrote: »
    Anyone ever re-paste their GPU? I've an Gigabyte Windforce OC 2080 that's been going insane 80c+ while playing Apex, which I imagine wouldn't be the most intensive of games...and the fans are prone to revving wildly at times - but this seems to be Windforce issue in general. Anyone here experience doing it before? I imagine it's as straight forward as applying paste for CPU.

I've done it a few times. But don't put a small blob in the middle like some people do with CPU's spread it out evenly over the die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Imagine if Intel could develop their own 5/3nm as much as they did their 14nm+++++++++++++++. The limits of silicon would still be a decent way off then although to be fair to AMD, they've done great on 7nm, especially with Zen 3, their momentum is unbelievable.

I'd say you will have to imagine it as they can't even get 10nm working properly, Samsung are behind on 7nm, only TSMC are reaching their roadmap targets on time.

By the time the others get to 7nm, TSMC will be on 5nm, possibly even 3nm.

Still semi impressive that they are competitive at 14nm but at the cost of way higher power consumption which ain't good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Shlippery wrote: »

Make sure you clean the die properly before repasting it..also make sure that the 1.5 mm thermal pads dotted around the board are still in place and not moved/misaligned and all should be well..best of luck

Seems like intel are giving up on their own fabs and turning to TSMC for 7nm production later this year and 5nm next year.

I don't see how TSMC can fulfill all of these contracts and the lack of fab competition is surely going to drive prices up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

BloodBath wrote: »
    Seems like intel are giving up on their own fabs and turning to TSMC for 7nm production later this year and 5nm next year.

I don't see how TSMC can fulfill all of these contracts and the lack of fab competition is surely going to drive prices up as well.

On the bright side, Bob Swan is out the gap of intel so at least now they've some chance under Pat Gelsinger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Got new system setup, just doing all the usual jazz of reinstalling software, drivers etc. Will get around to overclocking at the weekend maybe.

Having some trouble with my new NVME. I grabbed the Rocket Sabrent 1TB PCIe4 drive. Using a Ryzen 5600x with an MSI B550a pro motherboard. Only getting ~3100MB/s in both sequential read and sequential write. That's a tad low right? It feels like PCIe3 speeds to be honest, but it's a PCIe4 board. The advertised speeds are allegedly 5000 read and 4400 write. Any ideas as to what might be up?

I downloaded Sabrent's software and it's already on the latest drivers/firmware.

Well, i just confirmed it's in the PCIe 3 slot of course :D The instructions provided by Sabrent aren't the clearest lol. The PCIe 4 slot for my board is above the GPU. Sabrent's diagram had it near the very bottom of the motherbaord.

• Advertisement

The fastest slots are always near the top for gpu's or NVME's SSD's.

The closer to the cpu, system memory and gpu the better.

Anyone got any idea how often those Creative soundblaster G6 B stocks become available.

Missed out on the last window. Check it every day for new stock but no joy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

BloodBath wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea how often those Creative soundblaster G6 B stocks become available.

Missed out on the last window. Check it every day for new stock but no joy yet.

I think they have a "Notify Me" facility for stock alert.
    They cannot predict when they have them, it depends on people buying them new and returning them for whatever reason. Seeing how they are on sale now, you might get lucky soon.

Not sure, I got lucky myself whenever it was posted here originally, sent it to a mate a few weeks later and he was able to get one too. Suppose it's hard to predict refurbished stock.
    https://en.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock#buy <- did you try signup for the stock notification?

Cracking deal when you can get it, v happy with mine.

Yeah I signed up for the notification. Would be tempted to buy it at the current sale price but the B-stock is still €50 less.

Headphones still sound good atm so I'm not in a big rush. No doubt they will sound way better with the G6 though.

Ok folks. My new motherboard does not like shutting down/restarting properly. I don't think it's a windows problem because the same thing happens if I go into bios and when finished select "save changes and reboot". All result in a hanging black screen, system is on but black screen.

Same happens if I try shut down or restart from windows. Windows does it's business but then my motherboard doesn't seem to want to finish the job.

Msi b550a pro and 5600x system. I've had to short the cmos jumper a few times when the system just refused to reboot properly. Otherwise, I just have to force shutdown each time and it's "ok".

I'm scared of flashing a new bios because that involves rebooting at one point and I'm scared I'll brick the motherboard if it doesn't reboot properly as part of the bios update.

Thoughts/suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Does it not have a bios flash button on the back? No reboot required.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Does it not have a bios flash button on the back? No reboot required.

It does. I was gonna ask about this. How exactly does it work? Connect usb with bios into system then hit the button? Does my system have to be powered on when I do this? Do I have to be in the BIOS? Can I do it in windows?

I'll try this.

https://youtu.be/iTkXunUAriE

I presume I can leave all other components connected right? All I do is shut system off, connect USB with BIOS file. Hit button, and wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Gumbi wrote:
    I presume I can leave all other components connected right? All I do is shut system off, connect USB with BIOS file. Hit button, and wait?

Exactly. Very simple to do.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Exactly. Very simple to do.

It worked thank you! Always different issues when building new systems! I thought I was so great not a single hiccup, successful first time time startup etc. But the motherboard didn't want to play nice. Everything was working except motherboard never shutdown fully/restarted. Now to look at some overclocking...

• Advertisement

I've done it a few times. But don't put a small blob in the middle like some people do with CPU's spread it out evenly over the die.
    GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Make sure you clean the die properly before repasting it..also make sure that the 1.5 mm thermal pads dotted around the board are still in place and not moved/misaligned and all should be well..best of luck

Did it this evening! Slightly unnerving once it's split open...coverage didn't actually look great, and much of it was rock solid on the heatsink, gave it a good scrub, put on some Noctua thermal paste I found and stuck it back together.
    https://imgur.com/a/blQNP42

Only one minor scare when I powered it back on, one of the the GPU power cables wasn't in correctly! (+2 on the 6+2 )

All good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭xtal191

Are there any good cases out there with no glass side panel or rgb?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

xtal191 wrote: »

https://whatintech.com/best-pc-case-without-window/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Was looking for something similar for work lately and narrowed it down to Be-quiet pure base 500 or Fractal Define C.

Ended up going with the Define C purely due to stock availability. The Be-quiet would be my choice (having said that building in the Define C is a pleasure).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If it's a Mini ITX you were looking for then the Cooler Master NR200/NR200P got some good reviews back when I was researching for a new case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Corsair: 270R/275R
    Fractal Design: Meshify C / S2
    be quiet!: Silent Base 802
    SilverStone: Fara R1
    Nanoxia: Deep Silence series
    Phanteks: Enthoo Pro series

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wait until 2023 to buy a reasonably-priced GPU?
    Say it ain't so...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Wait until 2023 to buy a reasonably-priced GPU?
    Say it ain't so...

As a chip manufacturer, if you can't meet demand of the high margin products you don't sacrifice production to go to the lower margin products.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Finally transferred my build to a new case today.

Went from an NZXT H500 to a Coolermaster H500.

Few things of note,the Coolermaster case looks massive compared to the NZXT but when it come to room to build and good cable management its really not. Was surprised. Some nice touches but have to say the NZXT was much better quality despite being nearly half the price!

Also a decent amount of the Coolermaster case felt cheap,HDD caddies in particular i felt were going to break,had to be very gentle,cable routing looks ok but I dont feel its particularly good.

Also the PSU shroud,made of the cheapest plastic ive ever held,looks ok in the case but its horribly cheap.

I made the move for temps only,the PC doesn't look as good in the CM as in the NZXT but I'm hoping for much better temps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

EoinHef wrote: »
    Finally transferred my build to a new case today.

Went from an NZXT H500 to a Coolermaster H500.

Few things of note,the Coolermaster case looks massive compared to the NZXT but when it come to room to build and good cable management its really not. Was surprised. Some nice touches but have to say the NZXT was much better quality despite being nearly half the price!

Also a decent amount of the Coolermaster case felt cheap,HDD caddies in particular i felt were going to break,had to be very gentle,cable routing looks ok but I dont feel its particularly good.

Also the PSU shroud,made of the cheapest plastic ive ever held,looks ok in the case but its horribly cheap.

I made the move for temps only,the PC doesn't look as good in the CM as in the NZXT but I'm hoping for much better temps.

The NZXT are great cases in fairness, just a shame they have shíte airflow. Had an s340 for years that I did a couple rebuilds in and it was solid and a breeze to build in. Almost thought about doing a H210i build but decided against it.

Advertisement