Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sythe Ninja any good as a cooler?

It's as good as any Noctua 120mm for cooling, and quieter thanks to low-RPM fans.
    Only NH-U14/D15 series would reliably be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Be Quiet Dark Rock series would be comparable in performance and has it in the looks department, recently fitted the Pro 4 myself, beastly presence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have a desktop but no webcam or microphone. Anyone have any recommendations? Just something for Zoom, interviews and that sort of thing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Could try the console cameras. They're usually cheap and have built in audio with decent tracking. Just check driver compatibility. I use an ancient playstation eye that works fine on my current system but for windows it needed special drivers that I had to get a torrent for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im dreading to see how much buying a GFX card from the UK is going to cost now thanks to brexit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Vicxas wrote: »
    Im dreading to see how much buying a GFX card from the UK is going to cost now thanks to brexit

Can they not be ordered from Amazon.de?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can they not be ordered from Amazon.de?

Havent used .de are they mental on shipping though?

I live in the UK so I've always used Amazon.co.uk. Ireland and Germany are both in the single market so there should be no issue as I have it, especially since prices are both in €.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

For a graphics card it'd be about 15 quid shipping from Amazon.de

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

For a graphics card it'd be about 15 quid shipping from Amazon.de

8 usuall. although, amazon.it usually has better prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I got a monitor recently from Amazon.de, delivery was €16.12. What I saved on the monitor more than made up for it though. The price was much better than the uk site. We can still order from Amazon.uk though right? They pay Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Got myself a Scythe Ninja, bloody fiddly to install, those fan clips are a nightmare then you're stuck for space. Booted up and no change to idle temps and immediately it hit 90C and throttled in Cinebench. I remember saying to myself don't forget to peel the plastic off the cooler... Had to take the bloody thing out, repaste and reinstall it.

It's not that much cooler than the Wraith Prism RGB I had, 10C under 100% load but it's a lot quieter. God knows how I'm going to access the slot lock on the PCIe slot the cooler is huge!

Edit: 5700XT temps seem lower as well, could this be because there it cooler air in the case with the CPU now essentially venting straight out the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Intel's new chips to be released some time in future. At least they are not bragging they have much higher gaming performance only low figure percentage. Plus this is their own slides so may be even lower. I'd still go with AMD as they are ones improving while Intel aren't really and for a company it's size and wealth that is real bad.

4f8002c7-a50b-4dfd-8ee1-01a38810e5f8.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The 11900K is only an 8 core processor. If they're comparing it to the 5900x then I imagine they will be a similar price. Even if Intel is slightly better in gaming I'd much rather have a 12 core processor for the same money (or an 8 core 5800x for less). The Intel will probably be using a lot more juice and probably won't overclock as well as the AMD processors so still a poor showing on Intel's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH I'm starting to find the CPU wars academic.

At 1440p or above, almost everything is GPU-bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Intel is actually fairly good value right now.

You have the i3-10100F for €80 which is basically an i7-7700.

The i5-10400F for €140 which is exceptionally good value in my opinion, best mid-range gaming CPU at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Homelander wrote: »
    Intel is actually fairly good value right now.

You have the i3-10100F for €80 which is basically an i7-7700.

The i5-10400F for €140 which is exceptionally good value in my opinion, best mid-range gaming CPU at the moment.

The value is limited though. Especially When you start looking at motherboards and future upgrade options. To get a decent motherboard that will support an upgrade to say a 10900k down the line you'd spend a lot more than you would if you bought a 3300x and decent b450 that could easily handle a 5900x and let you OC the RAM a bit down the line when those CPUs are cheaper (a few year time).

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

The value is limited though. Especially When you start looking at motherboards and future upgrade options. To get a decent motherboard that will support an upgrade to say a 10900k down the line you'd spend a lot more than you would if you bought a 3300x and decent b450 that could easily handle a 5900x and let you OC the RAM a bit down the line when those CPUs are cheaper (a few year time).

To be fair though, how many people actually upgrade their CPU and keep their mobo? I've had mine for the last 5 years so I'll have to jump to B550. If someone buys an am4 mobo now, the best they'll upgrade to is a 5800X/5900X we'll say but by the time they actually need that core count, there will be some other bottleneck in the system at which point you'd pull out everything again.

That is it exactly. The vast majority of people buy a core machine and it never changes during the life cycle.

By the time a 10400F is struggling, a 10900K is unlikely to be worth getting over whatever the new mid-range board + CPU combo is several years down the line.

A H410M + 10400F now costs less than €200 combined and it offers excellent performance and will do for years. By the time it's struggling, it'll be well time for a new machine for any normal gamer.

You can get the 10400F and mobo for almost the same price as a 3600 on its own, and it's slightly faster as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Anyone remember the name of site withball router setups for port forwarding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Anyone remember the name of site withball router setups for port forwarding?

Portforward.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

EoinHef wrote: »
    Portforward.com?

To be honest i did check it first, but was 100% certain that the one I used before was different and started looking for other ones.
    Thanks

yoshiktk wrote: »
    To be honest i did check it first, but was 100% certain that the one I used before was different and started looking for other ones.
    Thanks

I used it a few times over the years myself,it does look different now alright.

I remember using it the first time I ever had to forward ports and assign a static IP. That was around the launch of the PS3,PES would just not work wirelessly over the network

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That is it exactly. The vast majority of people buy a core machine and it never changes during the life cycle.

By the time a 10400F is struggling, a 10900K is unlikely to be worth getting over whatever the new mid-range board + CPU combo is several years down the line.

A H410M + 10400F now costs less than €200 combined and it offers excellent performance and will do for years. By the time it's struggling, it'll be well time for a new machine for any normal gamer.

You can get the 10400F and mobo for almost the same price as a 3600 on its own, and it's slightly faster as well.

The 10400F is slower than the 3600. Even in gaming the 10400F is slower or the same performance when the 10400F is paired with RAM at 2666Mhz and the H410 motherboards only allows the RAM to run at 2666Mhz. You need a Z490 to use 3200Mhz ram with the Intel. Also, the 3600 can be overclocked where as the 10400F can't. The 3600 is still a bit pricier than I'd like given the 5000 series are out but hoping the price will come down a bit now that there is stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Coyler

Well, the price is the key here. And would you believe that I just check the price of 3600s and they have fallen in the last few days. That will certainly change the discussion.

The 10400F is slower than the 3600. Even in gaming the 10400F is slower or the same performance when the 10400F is paired with RAM at 2666Mhz and the H410 motherboards only allows the RAM to run at 2666Mhz. You need a Z490 to use 3200Mhz ram with the Intel. Also, the 3600 can be overclocked where as the 10400F can't. The 3600 is still a bit pricier than I'd like given the 5000 series are out but hoping the price will come down a bit now that there is stock.

It is actually not. I was saying that based on the 2666mhz assumption as no-one in their right mind would buy a 10400F and then splurge on a mobo that costs as much or more.

Intel isn't as reliant on high memory speeds as much as Ryzen is.

Also talking about overclocking the 3600 is a bit redundant given that aside from lowering voltage, in the vast majority of cases there's really very little to be gained from OC'ing Ryzen.

Notwithstanding that the vast, vast majority of people who buy these mid-range chips don't go near overclocking.

Again, the 10400F is a €140 CPU that edges out the Ryzen 3600, and costs €50 less. It's a major win, there really is no argument against it IMO for the mainstream buyer.

edit: For clarity, I mean that to say, not that it's the automatic choice over Ryzen 3600, but for people who pick it, there's really no argument as to why it's a bad choice.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

It is actually not. I was saying that based on the 2666mhz assumption as no-one in their right mind would buy a 10400F and then splurge on a mobo that costs as much or more.

Intel isn't as reliant on high memory speeds as much as Ryzen is.

Also talking about overclocking the 3600 is a bit redundant given that aside from lowering voltage, in the vast majority of cases there's really very little to be gained from OC'ing Ryzen.

Notwithstanding that the vast, vast majority of people who buy these mid-range chips don't go near overclocking.

Again, the 10400F is a €140 CPU that edges out the Ryzen 3600, and costs €50 less. It's a major win, there really is no argument against it IMO for the mainstream buyer.

edit: For clarity, I mean that to say, not that it's the automatic choice over Ryzen 3600, but for people who pick it, there's really no argument as to why it's a bad choice.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

I looked into it before the Christmas as I'm looking to upgrade and the gaming benches I seen showed they were similar or the Ryzen slightly ahead. Can't remember where I seen that though. I agree though, either one is a good buy.

Looking at that list im still happy enough with the 9700K running at 4.9Ghz

Intel have absolutely rang the neck of 14nm havent they.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

EoinHef wrote: »

Intel have absolutely rang the neck of 14nm havent they.

They've had it tapped out for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭xtal191

Hardware unboxed did a comparison with the 10400f and 3600x a few days ago

Advertisement