Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Finally got around to testing my GL850. No scratches or damage and no dead or stuck pixels. Moderate backlight bleed but hoping that eases off over time. Not gonna complain for €250 delivered.

2 pin German plug with no adaptor though. PSU is built into the plug too, not ideal. Also only came with a HDMI cable so it can't do 144hz/10 bit out of the box. The other monitor I bought was the same. So now I have to buy 2 Displayport 1.4 cables.

I'd expect it from the cheap one I bought but the GL850 is a premium product. GPU's have moved heavily into displayport. I don't know why they don't include 1. It actually won't do 144hz/8 bit even, my max refresh option for it is 100hz. I don't know if this is a cable limitation or if I need to install drivers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »
    Finally got around to testing my GL850. No scratches or damage and no dead or stuck pixels. Moderate backlight bleed but hoping that eases off over time. Not gonna complain for €250 delivered.

2 pin German plug with no adaptor though. PSU is built into the plug too, not ideal. Also only came with a HDMI cable so it can't do 144hz/10 bit out of the box. The other monitor I bought was the same. So now I have to buy 2 Displayport 1.4 cables.

I'd expect it from the cheap one I bought but the GL850 is a premium product. GPU's have moved heavily into displayport. I don't know why they don't include 1. It actually won't do 144hz/8 bit even, my max refresh option for it is 100hz. I don't know if this is a cable limitation or if I need to install drivers for it.

Monitors were mostly always 144Hz or higher over Display port. I had a 27" 144Hz monitor and it only displayed 1080p over HDMI.

Display port might be better anyway well it was in the past until HDMI 2.1 came along.

It's still better. Display port is the PC standard. That's why all new gpu's have 3-4 display ports and only 1 hdmi.

I'm guessing the hdmi ports on this thing aren't 2.0 or higher. They are meant for console or tv, not for high refresh pc. Why the hell does it not include a displayport 1.4 cable then. Can't even get the specs out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Headshot wrote: »
    I got a new M2 drive today, the WD Black SN750

Damn sexy drive
    Could you please share what temps is it running idle/normal use/heavy load

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Could you please share what temps is it running idle/normal use/heavy load

Will do but wont be for awhile until my new pc stuff come im afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It should have come with a display port cable,mine did and its listed in the accessories for the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Electro Direct have Display Port cables in stock.

EoinHef wrote: »
    It should have come with a display port cable,mine did and its listed in the accessories for the monitor.

Ah I guess it was missing then, there doesn't seem to be a plastic cover to cover the ports or vesa mount either. I assume yours came with that.

Amazon never listed missing accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ah I guess it was missing then, there doesn't seem to be a plastic cover to cover the ports or vesa mount either. I assume yours came with that.

Amazon never listed missing accessories.

Yeah sounds like something has gone amiss.

Could always chance your arm say the DP cable was missing,they might send ye one

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Does anyone know if this

Corsair braided PSU cables

will work in this

EVGA Supernova 650 G3?

Would like everything matchy-matchy as surely then I will be satisfied. :)

Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this

Corsair braided PSU cables

will work in this

EVGA Supernova 650 G3?

Would like everything matchy-matchy as surely then I will be satisfied. :)

Thx

No.

Different manufacturers/OEMs.

You're asking for trouble mixing PSU cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Feck. What happened to open standards :(

EVGA don't seem to sell them and I bought some cheap extension ones but never put them in (er thanks, more cables to hide :rolleyes:)

It's a conspiracy by all the manufacturers imo. Never want us to reach a state approaching contentment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jo Satan

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Feck. What happened to open standards :(

EVGA don't seem to sell them and I bought some cheap extension ones but never put them in (er thanks, more cables to hide :rolleyes:)

It's a conspiracy by all the manufacturers imo. Never want us to reach a state approaching contentment :pac:

Buy these

https://eustore.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-e-series-g2-p2-basic-cable-kit/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Another video from The Good Old Gamer this morning regarding a Tweet from Hardware Unboxed.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1337246983682060289?s=20

Nvidia are really pushing their agenda and it's not right.
    Hardware Unboxed are probably one of a very few channels in a position to give Nvidia the finger but smaller channels depend on receiving their cards to "review" and will most likely do whatever Nvidia asks in order to keep receiving those review samples...

Be very warned before taking the words of these influencers regarding their reviews as most of them are toeing the Nvidia line.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

SickBoy wrote: »
    Another video from The Good Old Gamer this morning regarding a Tweet from Hardware Unboxed.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1337246983682060289?s=20

Nvidia are really pushing their agenda and it's not right.
    Hardware Unboxed are probably one of a very few channels in a position to give Nvidia the finger but smaller channels depend on receiving their cards to "review" and will most likely do whatever Nvidia asks in order to keep receiving those review samples...

Be very warned before taking the words of these influencers regarding their reviews as most of them are toeing the Nvidia line.

Its not only Nvidia, Amd play by the same standard even thou they try to look as the good guy in the comparison.
    For many years one of better polish pc sites had a ban from Amd, just because they were honest in their reviews, in similar fashion like GN or HU.
    The big youtube names are good for entertainment only now. Money involved is too big for honesty.
    Like just look at Linus secret shopper. In that series he was complaining about Origin, their prices etc. Now couple weeks later he does Cyberpunk video using their Pc. Someone who would see only the newest video only could think, how good that game looks on their Pc and could order it.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Its not only Nvidia, Amd play by the same standard even thou they try to look as the good guy in the comparison.

I'm not highlighting this just because it's Nvidia, if AMD or Intel did it I'd be just as annoyed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That was cutting it close - ordered monitor mounts at the end of November from Amazon and delivering via DPD/Parcel Wizard. I figured 11+ days would be well enough time to get them to their depot in the north by the 11th when their service stops. One delivered today and the second due Monday thankfully. Not sure what happens if they receive stuff after today - will they return it to sender or delivery it anyway?

Looking forward to getting the desk more or less finished now, finally. Well, maybe not totally finished as I wouldn't mind a mounting arm for my mic and maybe a custom cable for the kb. :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

So I grabbed a second hand Vega 56 Nitro as an upgrade from Vapor X 290x I had to tide me over until the current gen prices calm down and supply is restored. I didn't realise the card didn't have a DVI connection :P

I have a 144hz BenQ monitor and it doesn't have a display port option, so I'm left with either DVI (which I have currently), or grabbing a HDMI (which only supports 60hz right?). Any suggestions? Where might I get an adapter? Is there a particular one that I need?

I had a look on Argos and they didn't seem to have anything ideal.

Edit: apparently HDMI 1.3 will work at more than 60hz assuming my monitor supports it. I'll get over it if it's not 60hz, at least for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Which model monitor? I suspect you are looking at displayport to dvi cable as your best option but need the monitor model to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Coyler wrote: »
    Which model monitor? I suspect you are looking at displayport to dvi cable as your best option but need the monitor model to confirm.

BenQ XL2411. A random reddit comment suggested I might be fine. I picked up the cable in Argos regardless, and I should be able to test it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Spec sheet for your monitor. DVI. Make sure you get an active and not passive cable. HDMI will work but hold onto that receipt and return the other cable if you get the DVI one.

Edit: Scratch all that. Doesn't even work well according to the comments here. Stick to the HDMI. 60hz is grand anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LQnFItP.jpg

Full gallery.

Max temp went from 77C -> 56C.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"If I was gonna be evil I'd be smarter about it"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Haven't seen him get that fired up in a while.

Shows how long has it been since I installed windows 10 as the iso is to big for a disk now

Feck it anyway.

Shows how long has it been since I installed windows 10 as the iso is to big for a disk now

Feck it anyway.

Use a USB key. I don't know anyone these days installing from optical media

Microsoft provide a tool to do this called the Media Creation Tool.

Ya the issue is Im a Mac user and it’s awkward to do the usb boot, I’ll just have to borrow a windows pc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ya the issue is Im a Mac user and it’s awkward to do the usb boot, I’ll just have to borrow a windows pc

67165157.jpg

Coyler wrote: »

Nope, DVI convertors won't work for dual link dvi, you need mad expensive active ones that need a power source and even then it might not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Was going to go the active adaptor for my qnix but I convinced myself to get a new monitor instead:D

Advertisement