Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Argentina 10/11/18 - This time it's not personal [1830, RTE2 & C4]

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rather timely article by Murray Kinsella on the brilliance of James Ryan. Shows how well he played yesterday.

https://www.the42.ie/james-ryan-analysis-ireland-lock-4333791-Nov2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That Tackle by Ryan on the Argie lock I think, where he monstered him back 5m, was seriously impressive. I wouldn't have credited him with that sort of strength and power, Fez-esque.

Genuinely think Ryan is already one of the best players in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 yyt

Why do people want Aki dropped?
    He is our best centre with Henshaw

Ringrose is our best outside centre by far. It's a straight shootout between Aki and Henshaw for the 12 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

yyt wrote: »
    Why do people want Aki dropped?
    He is our best centre with Henshaw

Away out of that. Ringrose is our best centre and it's not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 yyt

Away out of that. Ringrose is our best centre and it's not even close.

I like Ringrose but i dont see it. I would take Aki over him every day.
    Its a close call between Ringrose & Henshaw for me
    Although it could be the western glasses :D

Ringrose was injured a lot last season so we got a decent view as to what the side was like with and without him at 13. For me it was pretty clear that our attack functioned much better when he played.

Obviously he's an excellent runner with the ball and has a lovely step. He terrorised Huw Jones in the last 6 Nations for example. But he's also developing a playmaking role which our other centres don't possess. He's comfortable when filling in at first or second receiver and distributing the ball to our wings and putting them into space. That's especially evident with Leinster but it's also becoming more prevalent in his Ireland performances. He was the playmaker for the Stockdale try against Scotland. It wasn't perfectly executed but it's clear he's becoming the designated secondary playmaker in the side. We also played our best attacking rugby against Australia in the test he was for for. Stuff like the little tip ons and quick offloads sets him apart from every other centre.

Plus there's the defensive side to his game. Just look at his work in reading the opposition attack and you see his worth. He knows when to shoot out to snuff out an attack and he rarely get sucked in by decoy attacks. He's honestly brilliant and I think it goes unnoticed quite a bit because he isn't as explosive as an Aki or a Henshaw or a Chris Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Clegg wrote: »
    Ringrose was injured a lot last season so we got a decent view as to what the side was like with and without him at 13. For me it was pretty clear that our attack functioned much better when he played.

Obviously he's an excellent runner with the ball and has a lovely step. He terrorised Huw Jones in the last 6 Nations for example. But he's also developing a playmaking role which our other centres don't possess. He's comfortable when filling in at first or second receiver and distributing the ball to our wings and putting them into space. That's especially evident with Leinster but it's also becoming more prevalent in his Ireland performances. He was the playmaker for the Stockdale try against Scotland. It wasn't perfectly executed but it's clear he's becoming the designated secondary playmaker in the side. We also played our best attacking rugby against Australia in the test he was for for. Stuff like the little tip ons and quick offloads sets him apart from every other centre.

Plus there's the defensive side to his game. Just look at his work in reading the opposition attack and you see his worth. He knows when to shoot out to snuff out an attack and he rarely get sucked in by decoy attacks. He's honestly brilliant and I think it goes unnoticed quite a bit because he isn't as explosive as an Aki or a Henshaw or a Chris Farrell.

Agreed, I think ringrose is a lovely player with great awareness and intelligence.

In my view, the only player who has better ability to be in the right place at right time and do the right thing consistently is Murray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Game gave me flashbacks to when poor performances like this were routine. Not any more. Lads we'll smash the All Blacks next week. It'll be our second time beating them and we'll do them in the World Cup if we need to too.

We are in the ascendency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Former Observer.

Meta as ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭phog

The game was piss poor but we won and imho the fixes aren't huge as they were more individual errors than anything else and gives Joe something to hammer home before the ABs game next weekend.

Awful to see SOB injured again which was the worst part of last Saturday's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

phog wrote: »
    The game was piss poor but we won and imho the fixes aren't huge as they were more individual errors than anything else and gives Joe something to hammer home before the ABs game next weekend.

Awful to see SOB injured again which was the worst part of last Saturday's game.

It was all sloppy play from Ireland. The first try they just ran straight through the middle of Ireland....

Kicking to the cornor was the correct idea, they just could not execute the line out.

The high ball was a disaster, everytime it went into the area it was panic stations by the whole Ireland team. Not just Larmour.....

One thing Ireland has been good at it is not giving away stupid penalties. It felt like in that one game we gave away more penalties than the entire 6 nations....

Plenty for Joe to hammer home at the video review. Apart from Leavy it won't be pretty viewing.

It was funny.....on another forum and a lot of NZ fans on it.....

Raving about how great NZ are because even when they are playing poorly they win.....when I pointed out that was exactly what Ireland did at the weekend they changed the subject :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah, has to be said, plenty for us to tighten up and improve on, but Argentina are no joke, and they really knew what they were doing tactically. We, meanwhile, are debating who to scapegoat for each individual mistake.

Yeah, has to be said, plenty for us to tighten up and improve on, but Argentina are no joke, and they really knew what they were doing tactically. We, meanwhile, are debating who to scapegoat for each individual mistake.

No scapegoats.....I think the whole team needs to review

They knew what Argentina would bring. I said it was soon as Kearney was ruled out they would fire lots of high balls up on Larmour. The wings should have protected him more. Its not like Stockdale or Earls are poor in the air.

Argentina played exactly as everyone said they would play, Ireland just made too many mistakes. Stupid mistakes. Stuff that can easily be fixed

I do think, majority of Ireland problems lie with the game next week. I think too many of the players turned up with an eye on this Saturday coming. The focus just wasn't on the team as a whole.

Few good kicks up the bum. A small shuffle of players and off they go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

In the past., a poor performance most likely ended with defeat, ie Wales 2015. These days we are finding ways to win while being poor. France last Feb and Saturday.
    That's huge, the lads are finally getting the upper hand and the know how to win whilst playing like shyte.
    That's progress and it sends a message. We don't crumble and flail like in the past. That's part experience and the new lads who are incredibly fit and talented.
    A very good result, although a shaky performance.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It was funny.....on another forum and a lot of NZ fans on it.....

Raving about how great NZ are because even when they are playing poorly they win.....when I pointed out that was exactly what Ireland did at the weekend they changed the subject :-)

Hopefully they changed the subject to the game that never happened in 2013.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Hopefully they changed the subject to the game that never happened in 2013.

You not hear, that was AIG fault.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

You really do have to respect Willie Anderson's comeback from a 20+ year retirement on 20 minutes notice to be played out of position.

Damn you autocorrect!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just seen it on YouTube. Not as dire as I thought considering what I have read.
    L/O was a mess. No other way around it. Argentina did their homework and made it tough.
    The back 3 struggled under high ball. Very fixable. I think a lot of that is Sanchez, he's class and picks his moments and his accuracy is 1st class.
    The midfield was weak Defensively , and gave up lots of meters. Again that's fixable and it was a new partnership.
    All in all the pumas played very well and we didn't really hit top gear.
    Individually, some lads made errors. The receivers were off and missed some restarts. Henderson in particular. Stockdale and Larmour struggled under the high ball.
    It was due to the lack of time the squad had together imo. Without the match in Chicago, we would have performed better.
    I thought Henderson was very good bar the restarts and the backline looked very good with ball in hand. Sexton was average and still we won. Best struggled and the l/o are a worry but again the lead up was disjointed.
    Addison was good for his 1st start although his tackling is a concern imo. Aki and Sexton got caught flatfooted a couple of times but, that also may be do to the run up.
    We beat a good side. We were rusty and still got a good result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement