Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Argentina 10/11/18 - This time it's not personal [1830, RTE2 & C4]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

? I don't think you got the South Park reference.

no i didn't whats south park got to do with rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I hope Larmour gets a run out next week. We are building for a world cup , we should have a mix of experience and emerging talent thrown in to this game.

The result is secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I hope Larmour gets a run out next week. We are building for a world cup , we should have a mix of experience and emerging talent thrown in to this game.

The result is secondary.

Not sure Joe would consider the result secondary. He simply doesn't pick teams that he thinks will lose. Some interesting calls for next Saturday though. Larmour, Conway or Addison at 15 will be the biggest headache.

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    no i didn't whats south park got to do with rugby

Chill out there Suspicious Minds, there is an episode of South Park that became an internet meme. In the episode kids were using a slur most commonly directed at gay people to describe this loud annoying gang of bikers that kept coming into town.

When the kids got in trouble over it, the joke of the episode was that the kids didn't realise it was a homophobic slur, they just thought it was something to call people who are being jerks.

It was relevant to the post I quoted, and a joke. I doubt Trump would have gotten it either!

Not sure Joe would consider the result secondary. He simply doesn't pick teams that he thinks will lose. Some interesting calls for next Saturday though. Larmour, Conway or Addison at 15 will be the biggest headache.

The N.Z. hoo-doo is off our backs. Thanks to Joe. We have a grand slam and six -nations titles.

We failed to get past the Q/F's in the last world cup because of a lack of depth/ Quality replacements..

I reckon he knows that. A semi-final (or more) is all that he has left to achieve for Ireland.

Next weeks calls will be interesting,I agree (I'm as intriqued as you are).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clegg wrote: »
    But tbh I don't think Addison was anything special today. He didn't make mistakes and that's about it.

Given it was his first start and his dropped into the team (never mind match day squad) 20 minutes before KO, I'd say that was a pretty good return for him. He showed nice hands on a few occasions and definitely wasn't a passenger which you sometimes see from new players.

That said I don't expect to see him next week unless there are injuries, however by the sounds of things Kearney, Ringrose and Henshaw should be available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

enda1 wrote: »
    Love seeing Bundee Aki singing the anthem!

He does a better job then the Irish captain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

He does a better job then the Irish captain

Its not his anthem tbf

Try_harder wrote: »
    Its not his anthem tbf

not Bundees either tbf plus best is the captain its shameful

Ryan having a shocker so far

Line out was terrible

• Advertisement

I like songs. I've even been known to watch Eurovision.

Sing along/don't sing along...shame has nothing to do with it.

laugh wrote: »
    The line out is such pish tonight.

Yet ryan got motm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Interesting call at 15 if RK is out, still think the jersey is Larmours. Thought Conway should have been brought on earlier for a look so that probably rules him out.

Pleasantly surprised by Addison, thought he was composed enough out there. Don't think he'll feature this weekend but he's definitely raised eyebrows. Aki was very impressive, he offers something very different to Henshaw going forward and is very solid in defence. He's knocking on the door big time now for me.

Ryan and Henderson didnt function well today, though Ryan picked it up majorly in the second half. Perhaps Beirne to bench and Toner to replace Henderson but they've earned enough credit to be given another shot at it.

Backrow were superb, Leavy was immense off the bench, POM was his usual self and Stander worked himself into the ground.

RE debate here - Ruddock is a good player but he's not on the same level as POM. Wouldn't lose sleep over seeing him in the lineup at all but POM is a step above. Theres a reason he's captained every team he's played for including the Lions and Ruddock wasn't really part of the conversation for them. Absolute menace in the lineout, arguably Munster and Ireland's best defensive weapon.

Marmion did very well until the injury, thought he did enough to warrant a start if Murray is out. Gotta feel for SOB, can't catch a break. Best wasn't at the races, I'd love to see Scannell given a shot in the big game but not sure it'll happen next weekend.

Curious game, we didn't hit our stride at all and Argentina put it up to us.

Looking at the other international games I'd be very worried about South Africa, they're building a serious team. They could put us out in the quarters of the RWC the way they're going assuming they finish as second to the ABs.

Don't think we'll win next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Even the horribly awful nationalist I am knows what that Jersey means even if AbF doesn't mean jack to "Our captain". To denigrate him for that is uncalled for. And pathetic.

That being said, watching Bundee belt it out warmed the cockles of this boy as I watched from Paris.

I can't wait for next week when I go to the jacks for Ireland's Call AND the haka

:)

Its not. I think you are looking for reasons to be offended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Is Bests position at risk as Inthougjt he brought little go forward to the game ? Nugget and Scannell for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

The Irish lineout has been very hit and miss over the last few years. I remember reading an article about how the Irish lineout was the worst in the six Nations for awhile, but I they got it sorted.

I am not sure it is down to just Rory Best, but a combination of factors including a lack of movement and pace.
    It is also important to remember that Rory Best is 36. At some point age will start catching up with him. But if are lineout is as bad as it was today we will get our holes opened on Saturday.

Regarding Larmour, if Kearney is not fit I assume he will start. Joe tends not to make mad radical changes. I think some people on forums like this don't realise the amount of specific details all the positions go into and their roles in the system in Joe's Ireland. I would highly doubt Addison has enough time in the system to be learning two roles to satisfy Joe that he can play there. He is our 5th choice centre. But Larmour is not taking his opportunities. Granted the Irish back play is horrendous and doesn't give him the same space and chances he gets in Leinster, but I would expect him to do better. He is beginning to look like a player who is class against poor/mediocre opposition, but the step up to top tier teams and he is nullified. I hope I am wrong.

Maybe Joe's system doesn't suit a naturally talented back like Larmour, ala Simon Zebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The Irish lineout has been very hit and miss over the last few years. I remember reading an article about how the Irish lineout was the worst in the six Nations for awhile, but I they got it sorted.

I am not sure it is down to just Rory Best, but a combination of factors including a lack of movement and pace.
    It is also important to remember that Rory Best is 36. At some point age will start catching up with him. But if are lineout is as bad as it was today we will get our holes opened on Saturday.

Regarding Larmour, if Kearney is not fit I assume he will start. Joe tends not to make mad radical changes. I think some people on forums like this don't realise the amount of specific details all the positions go into and their roles in the system in Joe's Ireland. I would highly doubt Addison has enough time in the system to be learning two roles to satisfy Joe that he can play there. He is our 5th choice centre. But Larmour is not taking his opportunities. Granted the Irish back play is horrendous and doesn't give him the same space and chances he gets in Leinster, but I would expect him to do better. He is beginning to look like a player who is class against poor/mediocre opposition, but the step up to top tier teams and he is nullified. I hope I am wrong.

Maybe Joe's system doesn't suit a naturally talented back like Larmour, ala Simon Zebo.

The system seems to suit Kearney, Stockdale and Earls fine, Bowe and Trimble before them and in reality it suited Zebo too, Joe just preferred better players.

If Larmour can't fit in, then he's either not ready or not good enough. His problem last night was that he couldn't cope with high balls and the Argies targetted him because of it. That's nothing to do with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bit of a disappointing showing although I thought the expectation was completely over the top. The bookies had us at 18 point favourites which I thought was absurd. Losing Henshaw hurt us in defence although Argentina are great at creating space in midfield through quick hands and moving the point of attack. Aki was excellent and was probably my MOTM alongside POM, though. Neither were perfect and made some notable errors but both really stepped up with some big moments at important times.

I'm not surprised by Addison's showing at all. I was saying that he was a very likely RWC squad member two months ago and I think a spot is his to lose at this point. His flexibility and intelligence on the ball gives him a huge edge. Chris Farrell is the likely man to miss out given his complete lack of game time. He's in a race to make the 6N squad at this point.

The line out is a huge concern. That was very poor. Argentina defended it brilliantly and deserve more credit than they're getting but there were undoubtedly a couple of throws that were handy enough to disrupt and you'd be looking for better hands from some of our jumpers also at times. I think Best's jersey is going to be under huge pressure now and, whilst I expect him to get the nod next week, I think he needs to put in a very good showing to keep the wolves from the door.

SOB is brutally unlucky. I would expect him to be out of the 6N now and that puts him at a real disadvantage for the RWC squad where there's going to be an odd man out from the 3 opensides. If VDF and Leavy stay fit, they're now in the driving seat. On the topic of Leavy, if he had actually played more than 45 minutes, he was a shoe in for man of the match.

Sexton will need to up his game again. Goal kicking (conversion aside) was very good which is a positive but his general attacking play was not up to scratch. He'll be disappointed with himself but he's so far ahead of the others that he still couldn't be removed until the game was essentially over.

NZ won't be worried at all. Hopefully the physicality and conditions of Twickenham will have taken a little spring out of their step....but I really doubt it.

Zzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    NZ won't be worried at all. Hopefully the physicality and conditions of Twickenham will have taken a little spring out of their step....but I really doubt it.

Ah, I still remember the Aus game before the "game that must not be mentioned". It was a disaster and yet look how they turned it around. The preparation for this game was disrupted even without the late injury withdrawal.

As well as Addison did, I think Ringrose in at 13 will make an absolutely huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I think the time has come where Joe needs to start planning without Seán O'Brien. He's too injury prone and isn't as dynamic around the park as he used to be. He's seems to be carrying a lot of timber too. Leavy was sensational when he came on. A definite starter next week. I'd be worried about Larmour too. I'd be tempted to start Conway at FB. He seems comfortable under high ball.

Bests best days are behind him

Bit of a disappointing showing although I thought the expectation was completely over the top. The bookies had us at 18 point favourites which I thought was absurd. Losing Henshaw hurt us in defence although Argentina are great at creating space in midfield through quick hands and moving the point of attack. Aki was excellent and was probably my MOTM alongside POM, though. Neither were perfect and made some notable errors but both really stepped up with some big moments at important times.

I'm not surprised by Addison's showing at all. I was saying that he was a very likely RWC squad member two months ago and I think a spot is his to lose at this point. His flexibility and intelligence on the ball gives him a huge edge. Chris Farrell is the likely man to miss out given his complete lack of game time. He's in a race to make the 6N squad at this point.

The line out is a huge concern. That was very poor. Argentina defended it brilliantly and deserve more credit than they're getting but there were undoubtedly a couple of throws that were handy enough to disrupt and you'd be looking for better hands from some of our jumpers also at times. I think Best's jersey is going to be under huge pressure now and, whilst I expect him to get the nod next week, I think he needs to put in a very good showing to keep the wolves from the door.

SOB is brutally unlucky. I would expect him to be out of the 6N now and that puts him at a real disadvantage for the RWC squad where there's going to be an odd man out from the 3 opensides. If VDF and Leavy stay fit, they're now in the driving seat. On the topic of Leavy, if he had actually played more than 45 minutes, he was a shoe in for man of the match.

Sexton will need to up his game again. Goal kicking (conversion aside) was very good which is a positive but his general attacking play was not up to scratch. He'll be disappointed with himself but he's so far ahead of the others that he still couldn't be removed until the game was essentially over.

Best will come under pressure, but some of the lineout losses clearly has nothing to do with his throwing, the MOTM (who was excellent the second half) was responsible for one and arguably two (maybe joint responsibility with Henderson for one close to the Argentina line).

I think we looked a lot more accurate in the final quarter last night, if we bring that level next week, get Kearney, Henshaw and Ringrose back, start Toner to strengthen the lineout and the attacking maul, added to the inevitable raising of the game that playing NZ brings...then I think we have a chance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Crazy that England wouldn't cap Addison and are making do with the unimpressive Te'o. Too much scouting abroad and missing what's under their noses? (I know scouting abroad is exactly how we got Addison!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I was out at a family do yesterday so I went looking on Sky catch up. RTÉ hasn't put the match up but Channel 4 have. Did Channel 4 just take RTÉ commentary?

flazio wrote: »
    I was out at a family do yesterday so I went looking on Sky catch up. RTÉ hasn't put the match up but Channel 4 have. Did Channel 4 just take RTÉ commentary?

No, Ryle Nugent doesn't work for RTE anymore. C4 have him doing the Ireland games and Miles Harrison doing the European games with Jamie Heaslip (he is very good) as co commentator

I thought the top two teams in the world looked like they were playing with half a mind on the following week. The All Blacks failed to play the conditions and England rattled them early in much the same way Argentina rattled us.

I could easily see England struggling against an Argentinian performance like that and ultimately we looked more convincing in our win despite failing to take our chances. All Blacks barely fired a shot for significant chunks of that game and an extremely harsh call was the difference between a narrow win and a deserved loss.

I think we're going to hump them next week, you heard it here first ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

I thought the top two teams in the world looked like they were playing with half a mind on the following week. The All Blacks failed to play the conditions and England rattled them early in much the same way Argentina rattled us.

I could easily see England struggling against an Argentinian performance like that and ultimately we looked more convincing in our win despite failing to take our chances. All Blacks barely fired a shot for significant chunks of that game and an extremely harsh call was the difference between a narrow win and a deserved loss.

I think we're going to hump them next week, you heard it here first ;)

I think we're going to get creamed... Sexton of yesterday... No Murray... that's my nightmare scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Chill out there Suspicious Minds, there is an episode of South Park that became an internet meme. In the episode kids were using a slur most commonly directed at gay people to describe this loud annoying gang of bikers that kept coming into town.

When the kids got in trouble over it, the joke of the episode was that the kids didn't realise it was a homophobic slur, they just thought it was something to call people who are being jerks.

It was relevant to the post I quoted, and a joke. I doubt Trump would have gotten it either!

What do you watch that sh1te for. I thought I’d noticed a sick element creeping into your posts. That sh1te wears off on you.

Advertisement