Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Argentina 10/11/18 - This time it's not personal [1830, RTE2 & C4]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Ryan was everywhere. Great game . Couple of error s but made up for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ah there was way more mistakes than just the line outs...

I wouldn't have him within the best five Irish players to be honest

Careful. You'll trigger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Didn't play well. Still won by 11 and plenty to work on. In the 2nd half I never had the feeling we'd lose.

Take the learnings and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Stander better hurry back to the sheds. Springboks are on telly soon.

Ah don't worry, he's a big bok and can watch it with the rest of his teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

flogging-dead-horse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Worrying omen for next week. Lots of poor performances. Best, Marmion, Healy, Earls, Stockdale, Larmour and anyone involved in the lineout really. SOB was also super quiet and it showed when Leavy came on.

POM went well, as did Stander, Ryan, Aki, Addison, Leavy and Luke McGrath. Sexton was okay but got no help with his kicking game.

Toner needs to start next week. McGrath at 9 as well.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

POM - world class side that are always physical, great second half, struggled to get rhythm in the first half, but got it in the second half. Positive to take that the pressure that they managed to put on in the second half and get a few tries - need to improve across the board and step up a level again. Two good wins to have some momentum going into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Possibly the ideal hit out in the end.

A relatively comfortable win against a good side, but with loads of work ons to focus minds for next week.

I thought Leavy was absolutely outstanding. My MOTM.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ah there was way more mistakes than just the line outs...

I wouldn't have him within the best five Irish players to be honest

12/17 carries beyond the gain line. 12 tackles. That’s a lot of work to go through.

Apart from cutting out the mistakes in the first half, what more do people want from him?

I agree he shouldn’t have been MOTM, but to suggest he didn’t play well is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Faugheen wrote: »
    12/17 carries beyond the gain line. 12 tackles. That’s a lot of work to go through.

Apart from cutting out the mistakes in the first half, what more do people want from him?

I agree he shouldn’t have been MOTM, but to suggest he didn’t play well is a bit much.

He was very good in the second half, but as mentioned made a few mistakes in the first half.

Listen these guys are going to make mistakes. It's our first proper hit out of the season. It isnt going to be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭The Dagestani Eagle

Ah don't worry, he's a big bok and can watch it with the rest of his teammates.

The paddles will be falling out of Dohenny and Nesbitts/ 37 Dawson street soon. He will be watching it alone

He was alright. The irony of posters commenting that the lineout when well when Best and Hen do went off - well, they just didn't ask Ryan to do anything in the lineout in the second half. He got turned over in one of his carries, and was a distant second to Henderson in defence when he was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Pretty mediocre performance across the field today. I'm sure many an arse will bear the imprint of Schmidt boot after that.

But one thing I am confident about is that we will be orders of magnitude better next week. Ireland are still the type of team that seem to cruise somewhat against the teams they are expected to beat, but really turn up when playing the best. I fully expect us to be far more dialed in against the AB's.

We also saw just why Rob Kearney and Devin Toner are so important to us. I also felt that, as good as Aki was, we really missed the Henshaw-Ringrose partnership out there. Happy with how the scrumhalves went in general, but really looking forward to getting Murray back in harness.

Overall job done and aside from the momentum garnered from the win, I don't think this performance will matter much come next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

giphy.gif

Edit: Thomond beats me to it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The paddles will be falling out of Dohenny and Nesbitts/ 37 Dawson street soon. He will be watching it alone

What is a paddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Great contribution there, you must be a hoot at parties.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I forgot to say that is great that Ireland have won this game tonight. But it was a tough watch for us Irish fans. Their performance showing their faults wasn't that good at all to be fair. It was very poor & close to embarrassing at times. I will be praying like mad that Ireland will do well against NZ next week because when you're up against a side like the All Blacks; no faults must be present from their next opposing team; as that is down to our own boys in green.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

bilston wrote: »
    He was very good in the second half, but as mentioned made a few mistakes in the first half.

Listen these guys are going to make mistakes. It's our first proper hit out of the season. It isnt going to be perfect.

Absolutely, I agree with all of that.

However as I’ve outlined on here before, Irish sports fans in general are very quick to get the pitchforks out. At half time someone said Toner or Beirne should come in for Ryan against NZ - based on one poor half of rugby, while another said he was over-rated.

We’ve seen this countless amounts of times. Kearney, Heaslip, Sexton/ROG all those years ago. It’s ridiculous and shows little regard for the talents we’re lucky to have at our disposal.

Heaslip on the money with his analysis - bench made a difference especially Cronin and and Toner, Addison did well for being parachuted in.

Stringer and Luke Fitz in the studio - really enjoyable

It's a great analysis team. Really enjoyed Heaslip's commentary. Likewise Strings and Luke very good in studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Mcgraths try was a plus for me. In the absence of Murray ,it was great to see that mcgrath has that quickness of thought . He did well for his time on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Aki
    Addison
    PoM

All ahead of Ryan for me.

Leavey aswell has been very solid for the time he has been on. Tlryan has been decent but far from the best Irish player on the pitch

I thought our midfield was guilty of drifting laterally too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

hopefully seanie ok but leave but leavy immense and banked his place next week. C4 all the way with their programme......heaslip and ryle a great team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A game to be forgotten quickly really. Very few Irish players came out of that looking good. Leavy was superb when he came in though. Really tough choice at 7 for next week, even with SOB out of the picture. Addison did his chances of being on the plane for Japan no harm I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Absolutely, I agree with all of that.

However as I’ve outlined on here before, Irish sports fans in general are very quick to get the pitchforks out. At half time someone said Toner or Beirne should come in for Ryan against NZ - based on one poor half of rugby, while another said he was over-rated.

We’ve seen this countless amounts of times. Kearney, Heaslip, Sexton/ROG all those years ago. It’s ridiculous and shows little regard for the talents we’re lucky to have at our disposal.

That was a comment on how we have guys pushing for places, Ryan was disastrous in the opening 30 minutes, hence the comment.
    Actually would like to see Toner start next week, regardless of the stupid MOTM awarding to Ryan.

Possibly the ideal hit out in the end.

A relatively comfortable win against a good side, but with loads of work ons to focus minds for next week.

I thought Leavy was absolutely outstanding. My MOTM.

He was excellent. 2 great turnovers, solid carrying too. Our best back row finished on the pitch today, however I hope SOB isn't too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That was a comment on how we have guys pushing for places, Ryan was disastrous in the opening 30 minutes, hence the comment.
    Actually would like to see Toner start next week, regardless of the stupid MOTM awarding to Ryan.

"Disastrous". Ffs.

What's wrong with people?

I'd be a LOT less negative than a lot of what I'm reading on here.

Argentina were ferocious, massive hits and loads of niggle at the breakdown. They went out to rattle Ireland and they were largely successful. It was a very gnarly, abrasive performance and a lot of teams would struggle out there.

Argentina have a fire lit under them, decent squad and look to be heading in the right direction with the RWC on the horizon.

Ireland didn't execute a lot of what they were trying to do, and some of what they were trying to do was based on poor decisions.

Sexton had an off day and when he has a bad day the team often has a bad day, thought POM and Stander really stood up and steadied the ship at critical times. Sextons kick before half time was crucial all the same, we needed something before half time.

That's a decent win taking into account Argentina's performance and Ireland not being quite where they need to be. Looks like we've spent as much time this week preparing for next week as much as tonight.

We were blessed they had no scrum, would have been a completely different game otherwise.

We could be down a few lads next week. Not sure how bad Henshaw is, Seanie won't be available, Marmion will have a question mark as will Furlong who may have a head injury. Aki seemed to recover but given the way the injury occurred and the pain he was in I wouldn't be surprised if he's limping when the blood flow slows down.

Could be into the depth chart next week.

"Disastrous". Ffs.

What's wrong with people?

Oh GOD chill. Ryan clearly wasn't disastrous. But also his second half wasn't "very good". Argentina, as happened the whole way through the Championship, fell away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well I would expect a much better performance next week. That was a rusty performance from a team that is normally so clinical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Schmidt hopeful Marmion will be alright next week and thought he did 'really well'.

Advertisement