Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Argentina 10/11/18 - This time it's not personal [1830, RTE2 & C4]

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That was a comment on how we have guys pushing for places, Ryan was disastrous in the opening 30 minutes, hence the comment.
    Actually would like to see Toner start next week, regardless of the stupid MOTM awarding to Ryan.

Saying one of our best players this year should be dropped based on 30 minutes of a lacklustre performance was a comment on the depth we have?

That’s a stupid analogy. On that logic nobody should have a chance to prove it’s a one-off. If Ryan comes off for Toner at half time then he doesn’t redeem his first half performance with the excellent one he had in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd be a LOT less negative than a lot of what I'm reading on here.

Argentina were ferocious, massive hits and loads of niggle at the breakdown. They went out to rattle Ireland and they were largely successful. It was a very gnarly, abrasive performance and a lot of teams would struggle out there.

Argentina have a fire lit under them, decent squad and look to be heading in the right direction with the RWC on the horizon.

Ireland didn't execute a lot of what they were trying to do, and some of what they were trying to do was based on poor decisions.

Sexton had an off day and when he has a bad day the team often has a bad team, thought POM and Stander really stood up and steadied the ship at critical times. Sextons kick before half time was crucial all the same, we needed something before half time.

That's a decent win taking into account Argentina's performance and Ireland not being quite where they need to be. Looks like we've spent as much time this week preparing for next week as much as tonight.

We were blessed they had no scrum, would have been a completely different game otherwise.

We could be down a few lads next week. Not sure how bad Henshaw is, Seanie won't be available, Marmion will have a question mark as will Furlong who may have a head injury. Aki seemed to recover but given the way the injury occurred and the pain he was in I wouldn't be surprised if he's limping when the blood flow slows down.

Could be into the depth chart next week.

The concern is Furlong...he definitely got a smack in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That was a comment on how we have guys pushing for places, Ryan was disastrous in the opening 30 minutes, hence the comment.
    Actually would like to see Toner start next week, regardless of the stupid MOTM awarding to Ryan.

"Disastrous". Ffs.

What's wrong with people?

Watch it back, he made about 5 mistakes in that time, quite obvious at the time that he was having a bad run.
    Subsequently obviously kicked on but fair to highlight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Joe has just mentioned the fact that we were in Chicago last weekend, and then back for a couple of days of training and in to a test match. That Chicago trip is just a money making exercise which is fine, but at what cost?

Faugheen wrote: »

Saying one of our best players this year should be dropped based on 30 minutes of a lacklustre performance was a comment on the depth we have?

That’s a stupid analogy. On that logic nobody should have a chance to prove it’s a one-off. If Ryan comes off for Toner at half time then he doesn’t redeem his first half performance with the excellent one he had in the second.

It’s obvious that Toner needs to start next week.
    I’d have him there as first choice lock.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You really don’t get what I’m saying at all.

Faugheen wrote: »

You really don’t get what I’m saying at all.

You just can’t see it.

Watch it back, he made about 5 mistakes in that time, quite obvious at the time that he was having a bad run.
    Subsequently obviously kicked on but fair to highlight it.

Ryan wasn't that bad at all. The missed pass off the lineout had too much on it and the ball was slick, there were plenty of handling errors.

He was excellent in the maul, he carried very well particularly in the lead up for two of our tries and he made an absolute heap of tackles.

There was a reason he was the second row that did 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"Disastrous". Ffs.

What's wrong with people?

No worse than calling a player a fraud FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I will put in one little thought about the TV studios inside the Aviva for this game. Channel 4 have done a good bit of effort in adding a nice bit of colour to their own presentation of the match. RTÉ on the other hand have a much bigger space to use with Daire & their 3 analysts for their match coverage. RTÉ's setup is about as cheap as you can get really. If you take away the round desk in the middle with the chairs. It looks bland, sterile, cheap, no sense of character & feels like being inside a hospital ward. Although; it feels very convenient though that both RTÉ & Channel 4 are probably located right beside each other in the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No worse than calling a player a fraud FF.

Did I do that?? Sounds like something I'd say alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What a terrific win, beat Argentina by 11, just fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

vienne86 wrote: »
    Joe has just mentioned the fact that we were in Chicago last weekend, and then back for a couple of days of training and in to a test match. That Chicago trip is just a money making exercise which is fine, but at what cost?

Hey, we never knock a Chicago test match! Ever!

Also, the money helps to keep the wolf from the electric gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cracking second half of rugby. Argentina are a bloody good team. Some people commenting on here should realise that. A proper test.
    As an aside Channel 4 HD on freesat. Superb coverage. Commentators and analysts.
    Really enjoyed that test.

I'm happy enough tbh. We looked every bit a team that hadn't played together for six months. The Pumas were well worth that scoreline. The video session on Monday will be rough and might be a good start to the week preparing for NZ.

Edit: Happy enough SOB injury aside I should point out. Devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Schmidt saying Sean O Brien looks like he has broken his arm and will need surgery

Did I do that?? Sounds like something I'd say alright.

Aye, Zebo.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,241 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bilston wrote: »
    The concern is Furlong...he definitely got a smack in the head.

Meh, it was only to his face off lukies head.... Neh bother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

That Kearney fella must be alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

OldRio wrote: »
    Cracking second half of rugby. Argentina are a bloody good team. Some people commenting on here should realise that. A proper test.
    As an aside Channel 4 HD on freesat. Superb coverage. Commentators and analysts.
    Really enjoyed that test.

They're a good team and they've been playing and training together continuously since February. That sort of cohesiveness and fluidity only comes from games and we were sorely lacking.

Ireland will be all the better for that game. I don't think it will be enough for next week but there's no need to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Anyone else sensing a bit of awkwardness in the rte studio with eddies grouchiness?

Think toner played himself into the team. Even EOS agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Overall a rusty performance as you'd expect, but good to get the win.

Toner / Ryan start next week. Toner is always getting written off, which is just wrong. He smashes rucks, carries well and runs a good line-out. Hendo is definitely a better impact off the bench.

Larmor is not a 15 (yet?), he's a winger. I don't like having him and Stockdale in the back 3, either one is fine, but I'd prefer Kearney shouting orders.

Leavy/PoM/Stander looks like a good balance.
    Addison has some serious soft hands, did a great job considering.

Aki had a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Apart from Heaslip who was on C4?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Apart from Heaslip who was on C4?

Stringer and Luke Fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just on the dart back. One of the more enjoyable games I've been at in the Aviva. Aki was my MOTM by an absolute mile, Addison went really well also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan and Leavy were excellent. I won't say for certain that Ryan was my motm but he was certainly one of our better players.

Next week we need to sort out our set piece. Scrums were fine so it's the lineout that needs fixing. Ryan is undroppable so it's up to the coaches as to whether we want to fix the set piece with Henderson still there or to parachute Ryan in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think bundee showed again he’s Ireland’s best option at 12. Huge game from him today apart from the missed tackle with Sexton. Yet another new center partnership he’s played in that’s looked solid. It’ll take a lot to shift him from that jersey and I doubt there’s one player in the Irish squad who’ll want to play as much as him next week.

Advertisement