Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Argentina 10/11/18 - This time it's not personal [1830, RTE2 & C4]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Clegg wrote: »
    Ryan and Leavy were excellent. I won't say for certain that Ryan was my motm but he was certainly one of our better players.

Next week we need to sort out our set piece. Scrums were fine so it's the lineout that needs fixing. Ryan is undroppable so it's up to the coaches as to whether we want to fix the set piece with Henderson still there or to parachute Ryan in.

After what Retallick did to the English line out today, the line out will have to be stronger. Plenty to work in which is perfect facing into next weekend. Larmour can’t play full back next week if we are to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Think bundee showed again he’s Ireland’s best option at 12. Huge game from him today apart from the missed tackle with Sexton. Yet another new center partnership he’s played in that’s looked solid. It’ll take a lot to shift him from that jersey and I doubt there’s one player in the Irish squad who’ll want to play as much as him next week.
    Thought he played well especially 2nd half but I would take henshaw at 12 before aki anyday of the week. Unfortunately for him he is to injury prone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Overall a rusty performance as you'd expect, but good to get the win.

Toner / Ryan start next week. Toner is always getting written off, which is just wrong. He smashes rucks, carries well and runs a good line-out. Hendo is definitely a better impact off the bench.

Larmor is not a 15 (yet?), he's a winger. I don't like having him and Stockdale in the back 3, either one is fine, but I'd prefer Kearney shouting orders.

Leavy/PoM/Stander looks like a good balance.
    Addison has some serious soft hands, did a great job considering.

Aki had a great game.

Earls, Larmour and Stockdale are just not dominant enough in the air/at all. You would hope that Larmour and Stockdale spend extra hours practicing that every day because it is such a weakness of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ryan and Leavy were excellent. I won't say for certain that Ryan was my motm but he was certainly one of our better players.

Next week we need to sort out our set piece. Scrums were fine so it's the lineout that needs fixing. Ryan is undroppable so it's up to the coaches as to whether we want to fix the set piece with Henderson still there or to parachute Ryan in.

JAMES RYAN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Stringer and Luke Fitz

Did stringer get a word in or did Luke talk for 47 minutes without stopping?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Parachute Beirne in you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Tonor and Ryan will start again the all blacks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think the only changes for next week will be :
    Kearney for larmour
    Ringrose for Addison
    Toner for Henderson
    Leavy for sob with
    Henderson, vdf, Addison on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Honestly, I think you could start any two out of Ryan, Henderson, Toner and Bierne - but we have to change our hooker. Even the lineouts we were winning were thrown too low, and Retallick will have a field day with that. You don't really gain anything in open play with Toner, but he's probably the best lineout operator out of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You'd imagine beirne deserves a bench spot, versatile and should provide a good impact spoiling ab ball. Hendo might miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan and Leavy were excellent. I won't say for certain that Ryan was my motm but he was certainly one of our better players.Next week we need to sort out our set piece. Scrums were fine so it's the lineout that needs fixing. Ryan is undroppable so it's up to the coaches as to whether we want to fix the set piece with Henderson still there or to parachute Ryan in.

Parachute Beirne in you mean?
    Meant to say Toner.

Don't think Beirne is there performance wise.juat yet.

I will put in one little thought about the TV studios inside the Aviva for this game. Channel 4 have done a good bit of effort in adding a nice bit of colour to their own presentation of the match. RTÉ on the other hand have a much bigger space to use with Daire & their 3 analysts for their match coverage. RTÉ's setup is about as cheap as you can get really. If you take away the round desk in the middle with the chairs. It looks bland, sterile, cheap, no sense of character & feels like being inside a hospital ward. Although; it feels very convenient though that both RTÉ & Channel 4 are probably located right beside each other in the Aviva.

I tried to watch the match on the RTE player and the illegal stream of RTE2 was so much better than the stuttering heavily pixilated mess that is the RTE player.

RTE are highly dysfunctional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

mfceiling wrote: »

😆 He's like someone whose done a few lines of speed. He knows his stuff for sure but goes on and on and on ..you would think he would have learnt from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Think the only changes for next week will be :
    Kearney for larmour
    Ringrose for Addison
    Toner for Henderson
    Leavy for sob with
    Henderson, vdf, Addison on the bench

Pretty much how I see it, although we will obviously have to wait and see what happens at 9 as well. I thought McGrath went really well from the bench. Is Marion injured? Could Murray be back? At least the ABs will be guessing about that particular position.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

mfceiling wrote: »

C4's coverage was very good.

Heaslip is an excellent co commentator. Already one of the best around IMO.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I like Addison. He has a bit of someone about him, but I can't put my finger on it.

What's Zebo at next weekend?

bilston wrote: »
    Pretty much how I see it, although we will obviously have to wait and see what happens at 9 as well. I thought McGrath went really well from the bench. Is Marion injured? Could Murray be back? At least the ABs will be guessing about that particular position.

That'd be my option as well. Best, Ryan, Sexton have to up their games. I'd entertain McGrath over Marmion as well. If he's injured... Love Cooney but would worry about him in bench.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

*Various posts*

Mod note:

Wind your neck in a bit or you will lose posting abilities here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

beirne will start next week, type of player that will **** off nz

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    beirne will start next week, type of player that will **** off nz

Put money on it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Non mod post:

Wow, really enjoyed that!!

Not AB's beating stuff unfortunately tho. Fingers crossed Joe has a plan to improve for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Can't see us troubling NZ next week on that performance. Very average stuff. Our back play is so stilted.

Put money on it?

any markets up for it ?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Can't see us troubling NZ next week on that performance. Very average stuff. Our back play is so stilted.

ha did you see them v england today ?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    New Zealand were relatively poor today. We expect both them and Ireland to raise their game significantly next weekend.

New Zealand were relatively poor today. We expect both them and Ireland to raise their game significantly next weekend.

who's we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Don't want to post in bad taste given SOB'S unfortunate injury.....but was Leavy an upgrade? I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭OldRio

Steve wrote: »
    Mod note:

Wind your neck in a bit or you will lose posting abilities here.

Can one thank this post more than once.
    I thank you.

Elvisjuice wrote: »

who's we ?
    Does it actually matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

I tried to watch the match on the RTE player and the illegal stream of RTE2 was so much better than the stuttering heavily pixilated mess that is the RTE player.

RTE are highly dysfunctional.

RTE Player is quite often just unwatchable. I almost always end up resorting to streams.

Advertisement