Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Totally believeable lol.

Hes back! Some great contributions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Hes back! Some great contributions

On par with your own.

On par with your own.

Stilted sentences just running my posts down, not really a contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Mature student though at 34 & living in a council area so not sheltered from the great unwashed. The neighbours that you'd see heading off on holidays are generally the ones you'd see leaving for work in the morning. Long term SW is not a dream life anyone aspires to.

I take offence at the term the great unwashed.

I grew up on a council estate (albeit not in Ireland) because my mother left my abusive father. He was meant to pay maintenance for his 4 children but tended to "forget". My mother's pension was reduced because she was supposedly getting maintenance for us.

We were washed and we were fed (although very basic food). We even had the odd holiday (planned well in advance).

Between my siblings there is five degrees (I have two) and one sister is a palliative care consultant.

It wasn't the best upbringing, and we were often looked down on, which was not very pleasant.

Not everyone that grows up in council estates are destined to be no hopers.

It's very easy to generalise though, isn't it.

Stilted sentences just running my posts down, not really a contribution.

You have contributed nothing other than baseless generalisations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Seriously I wouldn't like to work with work dodgers, they're happy out on the dole.
    They're not wired to work.
    Believe you me, I had a few work for me as seasonal worker's the odd summer.
    They take a lot of ciggie break's, find it hard to get motivated and they just can't cope with the working environment.

I used to think they're lazy and incompetent.

It's not for the lack of trying, they're just different.

They can cause more hassle in the work place than anything.

If they're happy out signing on the labour, fair enough.

The same can be said for public sector workers, they applied for their jobs, started at the bottom and worked their way up the incremental scale.

In some public sector job's the guy who's raking leaves and pulling weeds is probably taking home a lot more than a manager on a 3 year contract in the public sector.

It's great you'll get some knob managing a load of workers and they have better conditions and security than the guy who's​managing them.

This is happening in a lot of semistates now.
    A load of managers got huge payoffs, took a package...
    Then their Jobs are advertised and some idiot applies for the job.

The guy's and women there for year's have a gold plated contract, the new manager is told to go in there shake things up a bit.
    You'll be grand the CEO will say in the interview, we're hiring you because you're the best candidate for this position.

Usually the poor creature is broken by 6 month's because the staff are not going to capitulate to a new kid on the block....

I think it's hilarious lol

Funny-Memes-about-Welfare-6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

I take offence at the term the great unwashed.

I grew up on a council estate (albeit not in Ireland) because my mother left my abusive father. He was meant to pay maintenance for his 4 children but tended to "forget". My mother's pension was reduced because she was supposedly getting maintenance for us.

We were washed and we were fed (although very basic food). We even had the odd holiday (planned well in advance).

Between my siblings there is five degrees (I have two) and one sister is a palliative care consultant.

It wasn't the best upbringing, and we were often looked down on, which was not very pleasant.

Not everyone that grows up in council estates are destined to be no hopers.

It's very easy to generalise though, isn't it.

Was meant firmly tongue in cheek in fairness, maybe you overlooked that I said I live in a council area, am currently unemployed having completed a degree as a mature student on BTEA? Am also the first from my family to obtain a 3rd level qualification, definitely no silver spoon here. Maybe drop the hair trigger.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Was meant firmly tongue in cheek in fairness, maybe you overlooked that I said I live in a council area, am currently unemployed having completed a degree as a mature student on BTEA? Am also the first from my family to obtain a 3rd level qualification, definitely no silver spoon here. Maybe drop the hair trigger.

I did see you are from a council estate.

I was just highlighting it is a term that really upsets me.

Not sure what you mean by hair trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Philosophy Zombie

nthclare wrote: »
    Seriously I wouldn't like to work with work dodgers, they're happy out on the dole.
    They're not wired to work.
    Believe you me, I had a few work for me as seasonal worker's the odd summer.
    They take a lot of ciggie break's, find it hard to get motivated and they just can't cope with the working environment.

I used to think they're lazy and incompetent.

It's not for the lack of trying, they're just different.

They can cause more hassle in the work place than anything.

If they're happy out signing on the labour, fair enough.

The same can be said for public sector workers, they applied for their jobs, started at the bottom and worked their way up the incremental scale.

In some public sector job's the guy who's raking leaves and pulling weeds is probably taking home a lot more than a manager on a 3 year contract in the public sector.

It's great you'll get some knob managing a load of workers and they have better conditions and security than the guy who's​managing them.

This is happening in a lot of semistates now.
    A load of managers got huge payoffs, took a package...
    Then their Jobs are advertised and some idiot applies for the job.

The guy's and women there for year's have a gold plated contract, the new manager is told to go in there shake things up a bit.
    You'll be grand the CEO will say in the interview, we're hiring you because you're the best candidate for this position.

Usually the poor creature is broken by 6 month's because the staff are not going to capitulate to a new kid on the block....

I think it's hilarious lol

Sounds like the Gervais Principle in action -- that story about the clueless manager and the CEO setting up a failure. There's a book and Reddit page about it.

• Advertisement

I did see you are from a council estate.

I was just highlighting it is a term that really upsets me.

Not sure what you mean by hair trigger.

In fairness it’s just a tongue in cheek term

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cutting the bonus means cutting pensioners, that is where most of the welfare budget goes.

No Govt will do that.

In fairness it’s just a tongue in cheek term

I do get that. But it's a horrible term and brings up some bad memories I suppose.

I personally would not joke about the term and yes, it did hit a nerve. I'm human :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yes because welfare estates always win Tidy Towns....

Most of then look like movie sets for post Armageddon films

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    LOL LOL at your "hard questions "

The man's an idiot iamwhoiam and a troll at best.

Pass no heed of him folks.

Pkiernan wrote:
    Yes because welfare estates always win Tidy Towns....

Two council estates in my home town won awards for their appearance. Just saying.

Two council estates in my home town won awards for their appearance. Just saying.

Name them so we can verify.

Name them so we can verify.

Ashdale and Cherry field avenue. Who's this "we" you speak of?

Ashdale and Cherry field avenue. Who's this "we" you speak of?

“We” is anyone reading the post. You are reading too many conspiracy theories. Those areas look they were council estates a long time ago. A lot of the houses now being bought and sold so indicates people with mortgages there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,737 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

odetooi wrote: »
    Complain and turn on the poorest in society getting a few extra quid at Christmas.
    Ignore all of the major problems this **** hole country has while our politicians do nothing but kick he can down the road.
    You sir (OP) are the ideal lemming
    Yeah, poorest in society.
    Gimme a break. Margaret Cash and her ilk of leechers are no more strapped for cash than I am a bleeding heart liberal social justice warrior.

• Advertisement

“We” is anyone reading the post. You are reading too many conspiracy theories. Those areas look they were council estates a long time ago. A lot of the houses now being bought and sold so indicates people with mortgages there.
    +1

They aren't council estates anymore.
    The people giving the "tidy towns" awards probably don't go into the actual council estates as the kids were throwing things at them.

“We†is anyone reading the post. You are reading too many conspiracy theories. Those areas look they were council estates a long time ago. A lot of the houses now being bought and sold so indicates people with mortgages there.

They are still council estates, one of which was only built 18 years ago the other 25 years ago. I was one of the first tenants in Ashdale ( built in 2000) long since moved out but the estate is still very well kept. Since I haven't stated the town I'm amused at the rest of your nonsense about mortgages there.

ELM327 wrote:
    They aren't council estates anymore. The people giving the "tidy towns" awards probably don't go into the actual council estates as the kids were throwing things at them.

So you know which town these estates are in aswell? Eventhough I didn't name the town. I actually thought you were above posting bs , I was wrong.

So you know which town these estates are in aswell? Eventhough I didn't name the town. I actually thought you were above posting bs , I was wrong.
    Considering I lived near the second for some time, yeah I do

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-cherryfield-avenue-walkinstown-dublin-12/4088447

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Im talking about those you collect social welfare. Do they walk out of the post office and jump into their range rovers and bmws

Some people seem to think all of them do jump into BMW's and range rovers
    :rolleyes:

Im talking about those you collect social welfare. Do they walk out of the post office and jump into their range rovers and bmws
    When I was signing on in 2009, and also when I lived in an area of council houses in 2009, there were no shortages of nice cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Cabaal wrote: »
    Some people seem to think all of them do jump into BMW's and range rovers
    :rolleyes:

And can you not be happy for them and hope they enjoy them? Do you really want the less fortunate to eke out a meagre, miserable existence? Is it not good that they get a little happiness out of life.

Melendez wrote: »
    And can you not be happy for them and hope they enjoy them? Do you really want the less fortunate to eek out a meagre, miserable existence? Is it not good that they get a little happiness out of life.

When I and my partner can't afford the same things as the "less fortunate" that I am subsidising, then no I can't!

ELM327 wrote:
    Considering I lived near the second for some time, yeah I do

I said town , Dublin is a city. You do realise there are other places outside of the Pale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

ELM327 wrote: »
    When I and my partner can't afford the same things as the "less fortunate" that I am subsidising, then no I can't!

So you do not want anyone who, for whatever reason, cannot work, to enjoy life? Just exist.

Advertisement