Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Truisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you're in the sticks and you see a car with an L-plate and just one driver in it, you can be 99% sure that the driver in fact is the one on the learning permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-I swear to motherfücking god that the next motherfücker that mentions motherfücking bicycles is getting a minimum one week ban.

Thread locked for 10 minutes as ignorance will not be a defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- reopened. Heed the warning. #nomercy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Putinbot wrote: »
    Mod-I swear to motherfücking god that the next motherfücker that mentions motherfücking bicycles is getting a minimum one week ban.

Thread locked for 10 minutes as ignorance will not be a defence.

But I can’t yawn, cackle or lace eloquently. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Of course they're doing it deliberately. They deliberately chose to buy a large vehicle that normally travels with four empty seats. They deliberately chose to drive that journey, instead of choosing a more space efficient mode.

I find it hard to believe you're as really as dense as you appear to be pretending to be. Not everybody on the road has a viable public transport option. And for your information I mostly take the train to work. But I also do two school runs first and sometimes things happen and I miss my train. At that point, to get into work at a reasonable time, I need to drive. I don't like having to do it and it costs me diesel on top of the monthly fare I already pay, and sometime there are high street parking costs on top of that, but it is what it is, so I suggest you save your motorist-hating BS for someone who's likely to be impressed by it.

Two-wheeled transport references removed to comply with Mod warning which I only just read... :)

• Advertisement

Will try and get back on topic.

VW Golf drivers are almost always overly aggressive, rude and boy racery.

Erm...I usually hire a Golf when we go on holiday. But it's in Italy, so who'd notice? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Putinbot wrote:
    Mod- reopened. Heed the warning. #nomercy

Thx Mr Mod (for freeze & reopen)

Back on topic...

If you have to change a tyre, it WILL be dark & raining. Keep a torch & cheap raincoat (with hood) in boot by spare. An umbrella is useless unless you have someone to hold it for you .

Motorways are BORING .... unless you have good company in the car. In which case, they are great for making progress.

There is an app, tjat tells you how fast you are going. And you can reverse display. And you can put phone on dashboard . At night the display is reflected into the windscreen (right way round now) and it looks like a head up display from a fighter plane ....maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If you see a yellow box just drive straight in and stop then stare straight ahead and pretend not to notice that you're blocking a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I wasn't aware that the law had changed re. the use of indicators. Indicating seems to be an option for a sizeable minority of drivers nowadays, particularly at roundabouts but even at regular junctions as well. Also, when was the law changed re. coming to a stop behind a solid white line across a junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

blueser wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that the law had changed re. the use of indicators.

It's not so much that the law has changed, just that apparently there's been a huge upsurge in people's midichlorian counts

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    It's not so much that the law has changed, just that apparently there's been a huge upsurge in people's midichlorian counts

"This isn't the junction you're blocking for..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

shockwave wrote: »
    If you see a yellow box just drive straight in and stop then stare straight ahead and pretend not to notice that you're blocking a junction.
    If you see a yellow box and are turning right, don’t under any circumstances move into it to wait for a break in oncoming traffic.

Instead sit behind it and look puzzled when the lights go red and you can’t turn.

Get it right second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not that you'll believe that but I'm there every day.

Cars doing so would hit the LUAS coming down Abbey St.
    I spent 10 minutes there today and saw one taxi and one bus break the red light heading south. Would you like me to run the camera next time?
    Usually is till...........
    Till all those inconvenient facts get in the way of prejudiced and ill-informed rants.
    storker wrote: »
    Not everybody on the road has a viable public transport option. And for your information I mostly take the train to work. But I also do two school runs first and sometimes things happen and I miss my train. At that point, to get into work at a reasonable time, I need to drive. I don't like having to do it and it costs me diesel on top of the monthly fare I already pay, and sometime there are high street parking costs on top of that, but it is what it is, so I suggest you save your motorist-hating BS for someone who's likely to be impressed by it.
    Choices, choices, choices - people make choices about where to live, where to work, where to send their kids to school and more. And there are other ways of doing school runs than in cars, btw.

And yes, I am aware that choices about where to live have been fairly limited in recent years, but you know what? This doesn't create an entitlement to your journey being more important than anyone else's on the road. This doesn't create an entitlement to 'get out of my way' kind of thinking. This doesn't create a good reason why motorists can spend hours stuck in traffic behind other cars without complaint, until all of a sudden...

Choices, choices, choices - people make choices about where to live, where to work, where to send their kids to school and more. And there are other ways of doing school runs than in cars, btw.

And yes, I am aware that choices about where to live have been fairly limited in recent years, but you know what? This doesn't create an entitlement to your journey being more important than anyone else's on the road. This doesn't create an entitlement to 'get out of my way' kind of thinking. This doesn't create a good reason why motorists can spend hours stuck in traffic behind other cars without complaint, until all of a sudden...

Sorry, you're not making a lot of sense, but then fundamentalists rarely do...

Sorry, you're not making a lot of sense, but then fundamentalists rarely do...

So 'not making sense' equates to "I disagree with everything you said but I can't come up with any compelling arguments to explain it" in your book.

So 'not making sense' equates to "I disagree with everything you said but I can't come up with any compelling arguments to explain it" in your book.

Sure. Whatever makes you happy, think it. If you want to do a little victory dance, knock yourself out. Enjoy. I'm done here.

Sure. Whatever makes you happy, think it. If you want to do a little victory dance, knock yourself out. Enjoy. I'm done here.

I don't need your permission or approval to do any dance. Let me know if you want to get back to discussing traffic issues, instead of trying to divert the conversation into the gutter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

When driving along through town before turning down a side street make sure to allow for a suitable turning radius when manoeuvring your 1.6l barge. This will also help reduce the g-forces on the driver.

I don't need your permission or approval to do any dance. Let me know if you want to get back to discussing traffic issues, instead of trying to divert the conversation into the gutter.

No thanks.Whatever you're interested in, discussion isn't it. I'm not into banging my head off a wall. I just end up with a sore head and it makes no difference to the wall.

(Sent from the train...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

greenspurs wrote: »
    Do car drivers ever have problems with motorbikes or trucks or tractors or buses?

It always seems to be cyclists in their way ??????

I personally find slow tractors pulling big trailers (usually driven by a hung over 16yr old farmers son wearing a gaa jersey or a john deere overalls) much more of a hinderence.
    And motorbikes that squeeze up between cars in traffic, and driving without a light on extremely dangerous!!!

I don't know many 16 year olds driving tractors, esp high powered ones like John Deere, who drives me slowly.
    They are usually found driving fast enough so whatever they are pulling, baler, wrapper or my personal favourite, the conditional mower with dubious road legal width, bouncing off the road behind them.
    Usually one handed with the other glued with their phone to their ear.

Rarely have an issue on the road with buses or trucks except for tanker drivers. They really seem to have a death wish.

• Advertisement

It's all cyclists. Not that you'll believe that but I'm there every day.

Cars doing so would hit the LUAS coming down Abbey St.
    Yeah, I've been there once or twice myself. And you're seriously convinced that no motorist breaks the red light there, just as they do at every other junction in the city, all day every day?

No thanks.Whatever you're interested in, discussion isn't it. I'm not into banging my head off a wall. I just end up with a sore head and it makes no difference to the wall.

(Sent from the train...)
    If you look up from your phone (like many drivers need to do), you might notice that the wall you're banging against is one of hard facts and evidence. That's why it doesn't get worn down by ill-informed rants and personal prejudices.

I wish the ignore function was available on the mobile site

Anyone going slower than me is inept and shouldn't be on the road. Anyone going faster than me is dangerous and shouldn't be on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

paulbok wrote: »

I hear you!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Nissan Micra drivers will steel the parking spot you are turning into. It will be some old biddy on a mission.

Wouldn't it be great if life had an ignore button, so we could just ignore any facts or evidence that doesn't suit us?

Auld lads slowing down 4 miles before their turn off on country roads.

Parking diagonally in a space outside a shop leaving the ar$e of the car half way out in traffic, bonus points doing this when there are 3+ empty spaces two parked cars further along.

Wouldn't it be great if life had an ignore button, so we could just ignore any facts or evidence that doesn't suit us?

Wouldn't it be great if everyone could read the OP's request that this thread didn't turn in the usual car v bike sh1+fest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Wouldn't it be great if everyone could read the OP's request that this thread didn't turn in the usual car v bike sh1+fest?

Not a ****ing chance with some I'm afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Beware of headgear!!

Auld lad in hat......Beware!
    Auld Biddy in hat....Beware!
    Farmer in flat cap.....Beware!
    Young lad in baseball cap.....Beware!

Advertisement