Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Truisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

99% of the people on the road are doing something else when driving.

A few years ago I was overtaken on the N11 by a car doing at least 80 mph and the driver had a sheet of A4 paper resting on the steering wheel and was reading it while she was driving. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

There's an unusually high percentage of mothers in SUVs on school runs that have the phone whipped out once traffic is slower than 50kph.

But what about cyclists breaking lights???
    I saw a cyclist gingerly break a light and this really pisses me off because I can't do this.
    Death to all cyclists.

Cyclists p1ss me off far more when I'm a pedestrian than when I'm a driver. I've even encountered a few mannerly cyclists who give a thanks or thumbs up then I hang back to let them make a manoeuvre across a lane. When driving I don't tend to notice their red-light-running so much, but as a pedestrian I've come close to being injured by it on several occasions.

The cycling behaviour that I find the most inconsiderate is driving two abreast on country roads where overtaking is difficult, condemning you sit behind them while they pedal along having a nice chat. Some slip into Indian file to let a car go past, but not many. It's not the commuter cyclists who do this, however, but the weekend cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The hobby cyclist is far more defiant and annoying than the commuting cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Loving the Trolling from AVON, its AHs Folks.

:D
    Dont want to post this in Driving Forum as they are very argumentive over there and want that special AH feel ....

Thinking about when I gave my children driving lessons, and explained the rules of the road. Now I am driving all day and with decades of experience (good & bad) I have observed some "rules" that are not in the books.

Rural driving - when a car pulls out of side road in front of you, they will only stay on your road for a few hundred yards and then pull into side road.

Anyone who overtakes anywhere, and takes a left turn a 100m later!
    Various radio stations claim to be "national" but you have to keep retuning your radio if you are going on long journey. And sometimes it just disappears!

Three leters, R.D.S
    Always have a supply of insults ready for use. You might not be able to think of good ones in heat of the moment. Vulgarity not necessary. eg what shade of green were you waiting for? Did you learn on a bus? Save it for you sister? Pick a lane, any lane!

Any of them sound so much better though with a degree of Vulgarity .
    On quiet country roads, at night, keep out from the ditch. Middle of a small road is safest. Lots of feckers still walking in dark clothes. And you can see oncoming cars by their headlights and get back on your own side.

Only problem is though, when that motor bike turns out to be a car with one working headlight!
    Eating chips while driving on long journey at night is one of life's secret pleasures.

Eat hot food in my car, your walking!

:P
    What are your driving truisms?
    (Lets keep car v bike out of this one. Ta)

Every other driver on the road, is sh!te!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Audi introduced a cool looking 'KITT from Knight Rider' feature for their indicator lights to encourage their customers to actually use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you are held up by somebody stopped in traffic (sometimes they could still be moving) - do not attempt - I repeat, do not attempt to distract them from checking the news/facebook/instagram or face the wrath of them waving their fists in an extreme manner and shaking their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

storker wrote: »

The cycling behaviour that I find the most inconsiderate is driving two abreast on country roads where overtaking is difficult, condemning you sit behind them while they pedal along having a nice chat. Some slip into Indian file to let a car go past, but not many. It's not the commuter cyclists who do this, however, but the weekend cyclists.

When you're driving in heavy urban traffic, with your empty armchair and empty couch taking up all that valuable space, do you pull over to let faster cyclists through?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Audis are equipped with a high-powered magnet hidden behind the front badge, this is the reason why they are to be found driving to within half a metre of the back of every other car on the motorway, not the fact that the drivers are utter c*nts.

Patww79 wrote: »
    The hobby cyclist is far more defiant and annoying than the commuting cyclist.

Sorry about that. Us commuting cyclists are working hard to get up to the desired level of defiance. Hopefully, we'll get there soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

When you flash me to allow me to merge into a lane, I will give you a courtesy flash of my hazard lights but then due to a combination of noise and being an idiot I will let them flashing and you'll think that I'm really really thankful for letting me in.

When you're driving in heavy urban traffic, with your empty armchair and empty couch taking up all that valuable space, do you pull over to let faster cyclists through?

Silly comparison really. There's a difference between a bicycle overtaking a slow-moving car car in urban traffic and a car stuck behind two side-by-side cyclists on a narrow country road. I don't pull in, but I do keep an eye open for cyclists/motorcyclists coming up behind and I try to make sure they have enough room to get by.

Silly comparison really. There's a difference between a bicycle overtaking a slow-moving car car in urban traffic and a car stuck behind two side-by-side cyclists on a narrow country road.
    What's the difference?

Other than the cyclists using much less space, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do car drivers ever have problems with motorbikes or trucks or tractors or buses?

It always seems to be cyclists in their way ??????

I personally find slow tractors pulling big trailers (usually driven by a hung over 16yr old farmers son wearing a gaa jersey or a john deere overalls) much more of a hinderence.
    And motorbikes that squeeze up between cars in traffic, and driving without a light on extremely dangerous!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

greenspurs wrote: »
    And motorbikes that squeeze up between cars in traffic, and driving without a light on extremely dangerous!!!

Don't think I've ever seen a motorbike without a light on in the dark, they need to see too!

Idiots that drive in pitch black with just front DRLs though, die.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The size of the SUV will be in inverse proportion to the owner's ability to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever seen a motorbike without a light on in the dark, they need to see too!

Even in daytime ! Cars have DRLs now, so why don't motorbikes ??? And why don't the pilots of bikes turn on their lights in the day!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

greenspurs wrote: »
    Even in daytime ! Cars have DRLs now, so why don't motorbikes ??? And why don't the pilots of bikes turn on their lights in the day!

Pretty sure motorbikes have headlights wired to the ignition these days, maybe it's just old ones you're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The size of the SUV will be in inverse proportion to the owner's ability to drive it.

And it'll be inverse to both the distance they need to travel and the likely hood that they will go off road.

So the very biggest will be used for dropping Sorcha, Fiachra and Uachtarreoite to the school that is 5 minutes away.

What's the difference?

Other than the cyclists using much less space, I mean.

The cars are not choosing deliberately to take up the extra space. Cyclists going two abreast are. As I said (and you ignored) I try to make room for them to pass. I rarely see similar courtesy from cyclists...note that they don't need to slow down or move in, just change formation. The car doesn't have this option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, they're waiting to finish reading the latest WhatsApp thread on their phone.

When people are trying to get to work on time, cyclists are generally faster than motor traffic.

OF course you can do this - just like all the other drivers;

What amazed me most about that video was the number of cyclists deliberately putting themselves illegally in places that could get them killed. Sailing through red lights, or turning illegally while expecting every car driver to anticipate their illegal actions and not kill them. Bizarre behaviour as if they had a death wish.

Grayson wrote: »
    And it'll be inverse to both the distance they need to travel and the likely hood that they will go off road.

So the very biggest will be used for dropping Sorcha, Fiachra and Uachtarreoite to the school that is 5 minutes away.

When meeting SUVs on marrow country roads it's almost funny how terrified the drivers seem to be of their paintwork even touching brambles, never mind taking the entire thing off road. They're not called Chelsea tractors for nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Some motorists are willfully ignorant of why cyclists stay 2 abreast when cycling.

I think Dylan Moran referred to these as "Toyota Hiroshimas" :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If I'm coming to lights and they turn orange and I think I'm being borderline cheeky by proceeding through when maybe I should have stopped, 90% of the time there'll be a car that will follow me through. 60% of the time there'll be a second car too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A few years ago I was overtaken on the N11 by a car doing at least 80 mph and the driver had a sheet of A4 paper resting on the steering wheel and was reading it while she was driving. :eek:

"She"

Phew. Wasnt me so...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A traffic cone creates a free private parking space outside your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

blanch152 wrote: »
    What amazed me most about that video was the number of cyclists deliberately putting themselves illegally in places that could get them killed. Sailing through red lights, or turning illegally while expecting every car driver to anticipate their illegal actions and not kill them. Bizarre behaviour as if they had a death wish.

Of all the vehicles that broke the red light, you focus on the 1 cyclist that did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Of all the vehicles that broke the red light, you focus on the 1 cyclist that did it?

And not the dublin busses :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

And not the dublin busses :D

That's ok, because if a bus puts itself in a dangerous position, it won't get itself killed ;)

Advertisement