Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Truisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There should be seperate licence catagory for SUVs 4x4s.
    Criteria No.1, be able to park the f*ckin thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Like everyone else, I'm the best driver ever and never wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

I don't drive for kudos. The second you've let someone out, they should be focused on where they are going, not you letting them out.

Wow, do you really find that a quick stab of the hazard switch or a quick wave is so mentally taxing that you're unable to maintain situational awareness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

We have variable speed limits on our roads. This means that (occasionally) the car in front will slow down when they come to a town. As a novice you must expect them to slow, and also not to slow (its hard being a driver sometimes). When you see someone do everything right, be careful not to be caught off guard. But dont worry, it doesnt happen all the time.

You must indicate "left" on a roundabout.....at some point.

When pulling out from a minor to major road (and turning right), it only takes 2 to 3 seconds to cross the lane and get fully into your own. Count the time between cars. If you get over 3 then you missed a chance to go!

In summetime, you may become distracted by good lookin' pedestrians.

Overtaking a plonker is VERY satisfying!

The faster you go, the more cars you catch up on (and end up going slower!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

brevity wrote: »
    Expect the unexpected

How can you do that?

If you expect it, it is by definition, no longer unexpected? Right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

How can you do that?

If you expect it, it is by definition, no longer unexpected? Right?

You don't be messing with my head at this hour on a Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Cyclists are immune to any form of criticism regarding their manner on the road

And yet you still persist...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

One may not call oneself a "driver", until one has embarked on the revered and sacred pilgrimage of cyclist-tipping whilst brusquely announcing 'Right bais, diss de new challenge, hayor'

https://youtu.be/hmB0Fy7qa2I

https://youtu.be/Ls3SHzPVIDU

https://youtu.be/Cvigbn6eV3A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Patww79 wrote: »
    Everyone you let out you're only holding up someone behind you, so let the person on the minor road sit and wait.
    But in rush hour traffic that will mean waiting until the main road is clear, reckon that’s fair? We all share the same road space so why not try and accommodate each other.
    You might be on the main road at one place but end up on a minor road looking at a driver looking fixed ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

But in rush hour traffic that will mean waiting until the main road is clear, reckon that’s fair? We all share the same road space so why not try and accommodate each other.
    You might be on the main road at one place but end up on a minor road looking at a driver looking fixed ahead.

Tough ****. Go a different road.
    Minor roads are minor roads don't have right of way. If I'm on a minor I'll wait if I have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Minor roads are minor roads don't have right of way. If I'm on a minor I'll wait if I have to.

In fairness, if you're stopped in traffic and a car is waiting to get out into the traffic, it's a just nice to let them out as you start to move.

Exceptions: grey haired ladies in BMWs or Mercs. I'd never let them out, even in an ambulance. Fcukers.

Everyone in a minor road waits if they have to. Nobody said the minor road does or should have right of way. Letting cars out is a courtesy that drivers sometimes extend to other drivers to show a bit of consideration because it's just driving, not some kind of motorised deathmatch. Do you extend this...er..."principle" to the point of refusing to move when someone lets you out?

In fairness, if you're stopped in traffic and a car is waiting to get out into the traffic, it's a just nice to let them out as you start to move.

Exceptions: grey haired ladies in BMWs or Mercs. I'd never let them out, even in an ambulance. Fcukers.

There's no room for nice on the roads, not in Dublin anyway, it's war and you'll be eaten up if your first thought is nice. Just follow the rules and that's enough.

There's no room for nice on the roads, not in Dublin anyway, it's war and you'll be eaten up if your first thought is nice. Just follow the rules and that's enough.

Rubbish. I do plenty of driving in Dublin and I see courtesy all the time. Are you sure this is real driving you do and not some X-Box game that's confusing you?

modern cars are very reliable. even in the 90s you'd see cars concked out on the road with the bonnet open fairly regularly, pretty rare nowadays, can't remember the last time I saw a breakdown actually.

I had to pull in to the side of the road with flashers on twice. Once with a flat tyre and once to retrieve a little puppy that was sitting in the middle of the road. Both times so SO many drivers pulled over to see if I needed help. I was really surprised by just how many people offered. It was really nice. You don't see many people broken down these days as you say, but it's good to know so many are willing to help if it does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

One may not call oneself a "driver", until one has embarked on the revered and sacred pilgrimage of cyclist-tipping whilst brusquely announcing 'Right bais, diss de new challenge, hayor'

https://youtu.be/hmB0Fy7qa2I

https://youtu.be/Ls3SHzPVIDU

https://youtu.be/Cvigbn6eV3A

what kinda asshole does something like that?

storker wrote: »
    Rubbish. I do plenty of driving in Dublin and I see courtesy all the time. Are you sure this is real driving you do and not some X-Box game that's confusing you?

Well I've never played a driving game on the Xbox but I drive among ***** every day in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If you put anything opn the roof of your car for any reason like strapping kids in, fishing out keys etc, just assume its gone forever.

That cup of coffee? didnt even last 2 meters
    The chinese takeaway? Mashed into ths side of the road.
    The kid? The wife relaly wont understand, lawyer up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If you put anything opn the roof of your car for any reason like strapping kids in, fishing out keys etc, just assume its gone forever.

That cup of coffee? didnt even last 2 meters
    The chinese takeaway? Mashed into ths side of the road.
    The kid? The wife relaly wont understand, lawyer up!!

I drove over my (work) laptop like that once.....

Warranty people had heard it all before, accidental damage coverage well worth it folks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I can kind of see your point re Dublin drivers.
    A red mist used to descend over me once I hit the red cow roundabout coming from outside the pale. Nether give nor ask for quarter. Survival of the fittest. Wouldnt give an inch.

You'se deserve each other! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

An indication is simply just that, not a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People who drive while wearing a hat are invariably awful drivers.

Covers a broad age range from the baseball hatted boy racer to 90 year old senile git.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

People who drive while wearing a hat are invariably awful drivers.

Covers a broad age range from the baseball hatted boy racer to 90 year old senile git.

And the young female with the ridiculous woolen hat when it isn't winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Taxi drivers are a law unto themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Irish people love queues.

Their driving reflects this.

Irish people love queues.

Their driving reflects this.

They love skipping them anyway. Both driving and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Drive the car.

99% of the people on the road are doing something else when driving.

Cut the Roads Policing Unit some slack bad day, rude guard, whatever. A result of someone's **** up at your work did not involve you scraping kids off the road and putting them in body bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Oh and get off the mudder fecking bastarding phone. There is absolutely no excuse and you're no better than drunk driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

storker wrote: »
    "It's green! Are you waiting for a written invitation?"
    No, they're waiting to finish reading the latest WhatsApp thread on their phone.

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Cyclists will gladly slow traffic down to a standstill without a care in the world for people trying to get to work on time.
    When people are trying to get to work on time, cyclists are generally faster than motor traffic.

I saw a cyclist gingerly break a light and this really pisses me off because I can't do this.
    OF course you can do this - just like all the other drivers;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

To all other drivers, Toyota Corollas and other such small cars will appear as if they're slow, regardless of actual speed.

If you drive the above, just take it for granted the person behind you wants to overtake.

In the event you should be next in line to overtake a slower vehicle, understand how utterly ridiculous a notion that is to the driver behind you. Remember what you're driving !

Advertisement