Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Truisms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

mr_cochise wrote: »
    You're wrong. There is something wrong with your spelling.

It's not his spelling, it's his grammar. The words he's using are spelled correctly, they're just the wrong words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

The white Audi will definitely cut you off, overtake dangerously, and drive only in the outside lane of the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Wibbs wrote: »
    They're so much more stable than similar cars of the past, though even with all the driver aids and traction control to quote Scotty of Star Trek: "Ye cannae cheat the laws of physics".

A colleague in the US told that when he was having some work done on his car following some severe winter weather, his mechanic told him what a high proportion of SUVs he had on his plate and that it was always like that following a big freeze. It seems that some people think 4WD=invulnerable, when a 4WD with all four wheels on ice will have no more grip than a 2WD in the same situation.

And I wouldn't be surprised if many 4WDs live their whole lives with only 2WD engaged anyway.

If you indicate to join the overtaking lane - to overtake - with a car coming up behind in that overtaking lane but just such a speed that you can still move out, as soon as you indicate the driver of that car will floor it...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

storker wrote: »
    "It's green! Are you waiting for a written invitation?"

Or "It's not going to get any greener"

• Advertisement

On the subject of risky driving compensating for safety features, I remember reading long ago, before SUVs and airbags were a thing, that when wearing seatbelts became compulsory, drivers became willing to take more risks. It seems that everyone has their own level of acceptable risk and when that level is reduced by some outside means, people will increase the risks they take in oder to bring the equation back into balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

People in front of you drive too slowly, people behind you drive too quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Having an L-plate up, will cause a lot of road rage from other drivers, such as the honking of horns.

RULES OF THE ROAD FOR SUNDAY DRIVERS

The posted speed limit is much too fast no matter what kind of zone you are in. Maintain a speed 20km slower to maximise your reaction time.

5th gear will suddenly push your car to slightly below the speed of sound and is only used by the insane. Stay away from it. Use 4th gear as little as possible too.

Never anticipate traffic light changes. When the light goes green there is still plenty of time to run through your pre take off checklist.

Never acknowledge a courtesy.That other driver who let you out ahead of him is obviously a dangerous maniac and should not be encouraged.

Driving far to the right on motorways is of course important, but keep this principle in mind at other times such as when on single carriageway roads. The further out you are the more danger you can see. You will notice how many other drivers will stay behind you to take advantage of the safety you provide. It is heartwarmng to see these drivers express their thanks in gestures when they do eventually overtake!

When unsure of where your route, keep out towards the middle of the road and reduce speed further. You don't want to miss that turn or sign!

When joining a motorway, drive the length of the slip road and then come to a full stop before joining. You don't want to be doing the same speed as those dangerous people!

Try to drive on other days too,. Six days is a long time, and you don't want your skills to lose their edge while waiting for Sunday to come round again!

Happy motoring!
    Miss Daisy (Hon Sec)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The Waterford to Tramore road has an 80km/h speed limit. If you're stuck in a line of traffic going 60 km/h you can be 100% sure it's some **** in a Micra that is holding you up.

Oh yes, I know it well! And what is with people who can't maintain a steady speed, going between 60 and 80 in front of you? You can be sure then they will actually speed in the 60km/h stretches coming up to roundabouts.
    As many have said the age old game of Guess my Exit on roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The 80km/hr road that you were plodding along at 90+km/hr will eventually come to a small town with a 50km/hr limit. Upon reaching said town, you will do said posted speed limit.
    In the following moments the driver who was happily keeping up behind you will automatically over-take you in said town and upon reaching the end of said 50km/hr speed limit will proceed to do 79km/hr for the rest of eternity in front of you.

It. ****ing. Kills me.

This.

But worse:
    Is the auld guy (often with a kap*) plodding along at 70kmph, but you cant pass him, comes to a village, and straight through it at... 70kmph.
    You slow down to 50 through the hamlet, and catch up 500m the far side... and STILL CANT GET PAST THE FCUKING CNUT..

*Usually drives an Opel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

This.

But worse:
    Is the auld guy (often with a kap) plodding along at 70kmph, but you cant pass him, comes to a village, and straight through it at... 70kmph.
    You slow down to 50 through the hamlet, and catch up 500m the far side... and STILL CANT GET PAST THE FCUKING CNUT..

the 'one speeders' I call them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

If you spend more than 1 hour on a motorway or dual carriageway you will encounter at least one car you overtake several times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If someone waits and gives you right of way and you drive past them without acknowledgement (even a barely perceptible raising of the index finger will do), you are a twat..

...and possibly a woman.

I don't drive for kudos. The second you've let someone out, they should be focused on where they are going, not you letting them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Everyone you let out you're only holding up someone behind you, so let the person on the minor road sit and wait.

In wet conditions brake regularly to get excess water off your tyres. Aquaplaning can cause a serious accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I don't drive for kudos. The second you've let someone out, they should be focused on where they are going, not you letting them out.

This couldnt be more wrong.

If they dont acknowledge my kindness and grace, I will fcuking hate them with all my energies. They'll feel the burn of my glare on the nape of their neck as I curse their unborn generations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This couldnt be more wrong.

If they dont acknowledge my kindness and grace, I will fcuking hate them with all my energies. They'll feel the burn of my glare on the nape of their neck as I curse their unborn generations.

Though ****.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

storker wrote: »
    A colleague in the US told that when he was having some work done on his car following some severe winter weather, his mechanic told him what a high proportion of SUVs he had on his plate and that it was always like that following a big freeze. It seems that some people think 4WD=invulnerable, when a 4WD with all four wheels on ice will have no more grip than a 2WD in the same situation.

And I wouldn't be surprised if many 4WDs live their whole lives with only 2WD engaged anyway.
    +1000 Observed this effect in the snows earlier in the year. I saw two 4x4 drivers come undone. One woman wasn't going too fast as such, but totally misjudged her levels of grip and turned too suddenly in a corner and ploughed straight on into the path across the road. She was a bit shaken, but no real damage beyond a gouged bumper and thankfully there was nobody coming on the other side of the road. She actually told me she took the 4x4 because she thought it a better bet than their other front wheel drive(even though it was running summer tyres and she normally didn't drive it). The second guy was a Grade A Moron. Saw him coming toward me doing well above 50 Kph(more like 50 Mph) on a suburban road. My first thought was thank christ he's passed me and that not all wooden headed drivers are on the golf course. On my way back home, here he is bet into a lamppost, car fecked, crowd around him. I didn't stop. I saw a fair number of rear wheel drive Beemers and the like get stuck. Yet in my two wheel drive I was fine. Took it handy, had winter tyres on (and a limited slip differential which makes a huge difference. Means you're actually driving two wheels when needed).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

If you see a cyclist anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE, you HAVE to overtake them. And you have to do so by getting your wing mirrors within millimeters of their handlebars. It doesn't matter if they're going the same way as you or not, perform a three-point-turn if necessary and chase after them. If they're not on the road but just taking a break standing next to their bike, mount the footpath to make sure to get close enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Shenshen wrote: »
    If you see a cyclist anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE, you HAVE to overtake them. And you have to do so by getting your wing mirrors within millimeters of their handlebars. It doesn't matter if they're going the same way as you or not, perform a three-point-turn if necessary and chase after them. If they're not on the road but just taking a break standing next to their bike, mount the footpath to make sure to get close enough.

If you run them into the hedge you're doing your fellow motorists a favour anyway.

Cyclists will gladly slow traffic down to a standstill without a care in the world for people trying to get to work on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But what about cyclists breaking lights???
    I saw a cyclist gingerly break a light and this really pisses me off because I can't do this.
    Death to all cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Red light mean stop not 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 (yes I have seen it). You have enough warning with the amber (which means stop unless unsafe to do so). Also if you are at a green and can not go due to traffic and the light turns red you are not entitled to just go if the traffic frees up

I saw a cyclist gingerly break a light and this really pisses me off because I can't do this.
    Death to all cyclists.

Last week, I stopped at a red light that had just turned red (in my car), only for the car behind me to lean on his horn, while 3 cars in the lane to the right of me ran straight through the red light.
    And no, I did not have to do an emergency stop. It's a section the has 2 sets of light, I was coming through the first set and saw the set in front turning red.

So why can't you do it, and why should cyclists behave any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

modern cars are very reliable. even in the 90s you'd see cars concked out on the road with the bonnet open fairly regularly, pretty rare nowadays, can't remember the last time I saw a breakdown actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last week, I stopped at a red light that had just turned red (in my car), only for the car behind me to lean on his horn, while 3 cars in the lane to the right of me ran straight through the red light.
    And no, I did not have to do an emergency stop. It's a section the has 2 sets of light, I was coming through the first set and saw the set in front turning red.

So why can't you do it, and why should cyclists behave any different?

My post was very much tongue in cheek.

My post was very much tongue in cheek.

Sorry, I had a driver actively trying to kill me at 9.30am this morning on an otherwise quiet country road (breaking at least 4 rules of the road in the process, as far as I can establish), that always does tend to affect my sense of humour a little bit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Death to all cyclists.

Is that death to all cyclists or just the gingers? You might get more support just for gingers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

If weather is good... tunes on Blaupunkt good.... you will drive faster. You must resist.

And a personal one....I drive better when I am alone. When company in the car is good, I can get distracted. I am fallible. I am working on improving that....

Tip for beginners... get a dash cam. It can get you out of a problem (if you were right!)

Advertisement