Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Truisms

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

When two lanes are merging into one all speed limits are rescinded. It's the closest thing you can get to mad max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

dubstepper wrote: »
    When two lanes are merging into one all speed limits are rescinded. It's the closest thing you can get to mad max.

even worse if two lanes merge into one beyond the traffic lights and junction.

Get the take off control set, make sure you're doing 4500 rpm when that light hits green

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wibbs wrote: »
    Anybody wearing any form of hat in a car is to be avoided like the plague rats they are.

As a tiny woman, whether driving my tiny car or my big van, the sun visor doesn't shade my eyes. I have prescription sun glasses for driving but when driving into strong low sunlight, wearing a baseball cap is essential to improve my ability to actually see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

earlytobed wrote: »
    Beware of headgear!!

Auld lad in hat......Beware!
    Auld Biddy in hat....Beware!
    Farmer in flat cap.....Beware!
    Young lad in baseball cap.....Beware!

A few years ago I was starting the car in my local supermarket car park when I noticed an elderly lady in the next car blessing herself just before she started it. I was less reassured by this than I'd say she was, so I waited to let her get well clear before moving off myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

iguana wrote: »
    As a tiny woman, whether driving my tiny car or my big van, the sun visor doesn't shade my eyes. I have prescription sun glasses for driving but when driving into strong low sunlight, wearing a baseball cap is essential to improve my ability to actually see.

I think you get a dispensation - especially if you wear your hair in a ponytail. :)

I can relate to this though. My eyes seem to have a low tolerance for sunlight. I often need drive with the visor down even when it's not sunny and I often need to swing the visor round to the driver's side window when the sun is off to the side, something I rarely see other drivers doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,930 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

iguana wrote: »

Raise up the seat, that way you'll have better all-round vision too

storker wrote: »
    A few years ago I was starting the car in my local supermarket car park when I noticed an elderly lady in the next car blessing herself just before she started it.

Until a few years ago there used to be a white old style Mini often seen around Rathmines covered in religious stickers and occupied by crazy old ladies. If you did something they didn't like they'd brandish a crucifix out the window!

Anybody with a KEEP YOUR DISTANCE! or similar sticker on the back of their car (the ladies had several) is incapable of driving normally

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Until a few years ago there used to be a white old style Mini often seen around Rathmines covered in religious stickers and occupied by crazy old ladies. If you did something they didn't like they'd brandish a crucifix out the window!

I remember that mini, we used to call the drivers the Microdots in the Mini... the drivers could barely see over the wheel!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Raise up the seat, that way you'll have better all-round vision too.

My seat is raised as much as it can go. On both my vehicles and if I was any higher I wouldn't be able to reach the pedals properly. My view is fine for everything apart from when I'm reversing around a corner, which was painful when I was less experienced at it as I was in position for too long. (And not an issue in the van as I can't see out the back anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

There will always be someone that objects to you bring a tractor on the road and will odd blowing their horn and giving you the finger. It amuses me no end every time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Green&Red wrote: »
    There will always be someone that objects to you bring a tractor on the road and will odd blowing their horn and giving you the finger. It amuses me no end every time

I've ploughed ditches away to get around feckers like you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Well I do pull in where I can!

The lads who sit behind you are the worst, I’m doing 20mph just feckin overtake me already

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are in a rural area then tractors are to be expected and mostly they are not going far/will move over where safe to let the traffic past. And many of them are powerful enough to do a fairly significant speed. I was stuck behind one for miles though recently, I now know he was going to the mart, *makes note of mart day*, but he could not do above 35kph and was not pulling over for anyone, though there were opportunities even with the trailer. The mad maneuverings of some of the traffic that did dive past him on winding rural roads was a bit hair-raising. Another one was a big powerful yoke that was perfectly capable of moving over for approaching traffic, but otherwise bounced happily astride the white line for miles. Probably having a laugh at the poor eejts stuck behind him.

Truism - you can't argue with a tractor on a rural road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The lads who sit behind you are the worst, I’m doing 20mph just feckin overtake me already

But you are at the front of the line, way up high enough to see over hedges and small rises in the road. And followers need to be confident that your righthand wheel is going to stay left of the centre line, if there is a centre line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Learn to drive, learn to swear.

Everyone on the road is a dick sometimes. Not everyone else, everyone. That includes me/you.

The world is about to end. I saw two audis correctly using their indicators. On the same day. Including at roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

You might but a vast majority of Tractor drivers DON'T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

iguana wrote:
    My seat is raised as much as it can go. On both my vehicles and if I was any higher I wouldn't be able to reach the pedals properly....

I dont understand why car manufacturers rule out a significant portion of their drivers with poor design like this. For people of less than average height, they have to get so close to the pedals that they are sitting on top of the steering wheel (ie the airbag!). Why not have movable pedals, or wheels that move forward and r backwards (more than an inch or two).

Full beam headlights. Its simple ..... Dip them when they might blind others .... Put them on full when no-one in front of you. The number of times I have been behind a driver at night that wont put his full beams on. Surely he cant see far enough to be safe. And he is making it dangerous for me too!

Wipers on = lights on. When it rains, you turn on your wipers because you cant see very well. So turn on your lights so others can see you more easily. Lights let you see where you are going AND let others see you. Dark cars, on dark irish days in the rain .... its a form of camouflage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I dont understand why car manufacturers rule out a significant portion of their drivers with poor design like this. For people of less than average height, they have to get so close to the pedals that they are sitting on top of the steering wheel (ie the airbag!). Why not have movable pedals, or wheels that move forward and r backwards (more than an inch or two).

It's not just people of below average height. Women disproportionately break their legs in car crashes because we have to sit closer to the steering wheel in order to reach the pedals. I know I don't move my seat to get in and out of the car, even though it would be a help to me, because if I move it out of the one notch that's perfect then I either hit my knees off the steering column or I feel too far away for comfort.

And in the spirit of the thread: the person who is doing 10kmph under the limit on the motorway will always speed up when you go to overtake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

paulbok wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if everyone could read the OP's request that this thread didn't turn in the usual car v bike sh1+fest?
    Isn't it funny though to notice how no-one has a problem when one side of the sh1tfest has a go, like
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108153485&postcount=10

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108161491&postcount=82
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108161494&postcount=83

It's only when a sensible, factual defence is offered that people decide they don't want to talk about the taboo topic?

Mod-Banned one week. I wasn't kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

You do realise this is afterhours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

banned on afterhours for that :pac: ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I actually like to put fog lights on my bicycle, a car battery on straps on my back and no reflective clothing while I run red lights in the oncoming lane. It just... makes life worth living, yiu know?
    Seeing the three-whites of peoples eyes as they get so incoherently angry that their rage-phlegm almost cracks the windscreen, hitting it as they roar at me. Some even spit teeth.

Advertisement