Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Truisms

Options
  • 22-09-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

Dont want to post this in Driving Forum as they are very argumentive over there and want that special AH feel ....

Thinking about when I gave my children driving lessons, and explained the rules of the road. Now I am driving all day and with decades of experience (good & bad) I have observed some "rules" that are not in the books.

Rural driving - when a car pulls out of side road in front of you, they will only stay on your road for a few hundred yards and then pull into side road.

Various radio stations claim to be "national" but you have to keep retuning your radio if you are going on long journey. And sometimes it just disappears!

Always have a supply of insults ready for use. You might not be able to think of good ones in heat of the moment. Vulgarity not necessary. eg what shade of green were you waiting for? Did you learn on a bus? Save it for you sister? Pick a lane, any lane!

On quiet country roads, at night, keep out from the ditch. Middle of a small road is safest. Lots of feckers still walking in dark clothes. And you can see oncoming cars by their headlights and get back on your own side.

Dogs walking at side of road will will usually look at you and stay where they are. Cats are mental and will dart across in front of you even if their own side was safer & better.

Eating chips while driving on long journey at night is one of life's secret pleasures.

What are your driving truisms?
    (Lets keep car v bike out of this one. Ta)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Never expect people to signal correctly on a roundabout and act accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭brevity

Expect the unexpected

Let people merge

Don’t look at other drivers

Check your mirrors

Indicate

Drive with purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

"It's green! Are you waiting for a written invitation?"

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Your 2 tonnes of metal can wipe out the life of a person on foot, horseback, a bike, wheelchair, pram etc. in an instant. Yet put 99% of the population behind a steering wheel and they suddenly think the above are merely a nuisance whose safety is to be ignored.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A third of drivers are mentally challenged and shouldn't on the road.

An appeal to tiny women of excessive blonde(with optional small kids): Maybe buy a car that you can at least see over the fooking steering wheel of, not the SUV Sherman tank you think makes it look like leafy suburbia is your birthright.

Anybody wearing any form of hat in a car is to be avoided like the plague rats they are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

storker wrote: »
    Oh Christ yes. So much this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Wibbs wrote:
    Anybody wearing any form of hat in a car is to be avoided like the plague rats they are.

+1000

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

brevity wrote:
    Drive with purpose

storker wrote:

Your 2 tonnes of metal can wipe out the life of a person on foot, horseback, a bike, wheelchair, pram etc. in an instant. Yet put 99% of the population behind a steering wheel and they suddenly think the above are merely a nuisance whose safety is to be ignored.

99% - that's completely untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Cyclists are immune to any form of criticism regarding their manner on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

When I see someone in another car singing to same tune I have on radio, i smile. Makes me think we are all the same. Then I get to a roundabout and my bonne homme evaporates in a flash. There are lanes on a roundabout folks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

BMW drivers are a law unto themselves and are to be avoided. Many are quite arrogant as a result of being nouveau riche.

When I see someone in another car singing to same tune I have on radio, i smile. Makes me think we are all the same. Then I get to a roundabout and my bonne homme evaporates in a flash. There are lanes on a roundabout folks!!
    yeah but they're only for other people, I know where I'm going!!!

Always amazes me how many people can't figure out roundabouts. Truth be told I still haven't settled on 'can't figure out the lanes and signaling' or 'don't give a **** about anybody but me'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The car that is indicating is not turning, the car that is not indicating is turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

My car has a cool feature called "Park Anywhere" mode. It is activated by pressing the red button with the triangle on it and you can tell when it's enabled because all the indicators flash at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Not turning off their indicators and causing a hold up because the car on the overtaking lane immediately behind and to their right will not proceed on his way presuming the indicator forgetter is going to pull out at any moment ......forever.

But he doesn't.

And all the cars behind pile up waiting to get by the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

The lights have just changed to red, sure i still have enough time to go through before the other side turns green.

It is activated by pressing the red button with the triangle

that's the diplomatic immunity button!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The use of indicators is considered to be 'Passing information to the enemy', a crime punishable by summary execution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

If someone waits and gives you right of way and you drive past them without acknowledgement (even a barely perceptible raising of the index finger will do), you are a twat..

...and possibly a woman.

If someone waits and gives you right of way and you drive past them without acknowledgement (even a barely perceptible raising of the index finger will do), you are a twat..
    ...and possibly a woman.

Is that worse than the people that just barge in and then give ya a friendly wave like you politely let them in rather than stomped on the breaks to avoid t-boning them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If I'm driving at the legal limit in the fast lane, you can be guaranteed that some prick will start flashing there lights at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

There are 40 shades of green and to some people 2 of them are orange and red.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If I'm driving at the legal limit in the fast lane, you can be guaranteed that some prick will start flashing there lights at me.

Because its the overtaking lane not the fast lane :p
    Overtake and gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

When merging onto a motorway the temptation for a nervous driver is to go slower but in fact it's much easier to accelerate, match the speed of the traffic and filter in, especially if it's very busy. This can seem quite counterintuitive

At ten to two the bus is due.

Sky King wrote: »
    When merging onto a motorway the temptation for a nervous driver is to go slower but in fact it's much easier to accelerate, match the speed of the traffic and filter in, especially if it's very busy. This can seem quite counterintuitive

eugh.....hate the people that very cautiously drive to the end of the merging lane and then stop and wait for a gap in traffic.

THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

(thankfully you don't see them often)

bluewolf wrote: »
    Because its the overtaking lane not the fast lane :p
    Overtake and gtfo

Your wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sky King wrote: »

Nearly everyone moves from the driving lane into the overtaking lane when they see someone on the slip if they can. And rightly! On the modern motorways there is no excuse for not being at the right speed and the right place so long are the merging zones...and yet it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

There's no such thing as the "fast lane" - overtake and get back in lane snail.

• Advertisement

There's no such thing as the "fast lane" - overtake and get back in lane snail.

Your wrong to.

Advertisement