Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Truisms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Your wrong to.

Poor effort...must try harder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your 2 tonnes of metal can wipe out the life of a person on foot, horseback, a bike, wheelchair, pram etc. in an instant. Yet put 99% of the population behind a steering wheel and they suddenly think the above are merely a nuisance whose safety is to be ignored.
    Including their own safety. Cars are safer now, however, IMHO this makes too many think airbags and the like makes them near invulnerable. Things is anything above 100Kph(or lower) if things go wrong, they go wrong quickly and often fatally, or in some cases result in a lifelong disability.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Poor effort...must try harder.

on spelling or trolling?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Your wrong to.

Apart from your spelling being terrible you don't understand motorway lane use.

Two lanes - driving lane, overtaking lane
    Three lanes - driving lane, overtaking lane, overtaking lane* Everyone hates the middle lane road hog.

*strictly speaking the third lane should be empty for ordinary driving unless indicated by traffic signals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Apart from your spelling being terrible you don't understand motorway lane use.

Two lanes - driving lane, overtaking lane
    Three lanes - driving lane, overtaking lane, overtaking lane. Everyone hates the middle lane road hog.

Theirs nothing wrong with my spelling and I'll have you know I do understand motorway lane use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

wexie wrote: »
    on spelling or trolling?

:pac:

Trolling. A bland and transparent attempt.

Where's the spice? Where's the originality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

The 80km/hr road that you were plodding along at 90+km/hr will eventually come to a small town with a 50km/hr limit. Upon reaching said town, you will do said posted speed limit.
    In the following moments the driver who was happily keeping up behind you will automatically over-take you in said town and upon reaching the end of said 50km/hr speed limit will proceed to do 79km/hr for the rest of eternity in front of you.

It. ****ing. Kills me.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Including their own safety. Cars are safer now, however, IMHO this makes too many think airbags and the like makes them near invulnerable. Things is anything above 100Kph(or lower) if things go wrong, they go wrong quickly and often fatally, or in some cases result in a lifelong disability.

I remember reading a study on whether or not modern 4x4's are safer than regular cars.

The conclusion was more or less that yes their size and bulk tend to give a little more protection, however a lot of people get over confident in that protection thereby ending up driving in a way that completely negates any extra safety the car may have afforded them.

(it was a nice way of saying many people in large 4x4s drive like dicks basically)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BMW drivers are a law unto themselves and are to be avoided. Many are quite arrogant as a result of being nouveau riche.
    TBH I never noticed much by the way of truth in the Beemer meme and the people I know who drive them are about as varied a lot as you could find. Audi drivers on the other hand... It's changing now as they become more and more popular, but I found electric car drivers(and previously hybrids) to be a queer bunch in general. The early adopters being mix between near religious in defence of their mode of transport with a large smattering of Sheldon Cooper "nerd".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

VW and Dacia drivers are the worst. The former for pure unadulterated ignorance and the latter for cluelessness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dont want to post this in Driving Forum as they are very argumentive over there and want that special AH feel ....

Thinking about when I gave my children driving lessons, and explained the rules of the road. Now I am driving all day and with decades of experience (good & bad) I have observed some "rules" that are not in the books.

Rural driving - when a car pulls out of side road in front of you, they will only stay on your road for a few hundred yards and then pull into side road.

Various radio stations claim to be "national" but you have to keep retuning your radio if you are going on long journey. And sometimes it just disappears!

Always have a supply of insults ready for use. You might not be able to think of good ones in heat of the moment. Vulgarity not necessary. eg what shade of green were you waiting for? Did you learn on a bus? Save it for you sister? Pick a lane, any lane!

On quiet country roads, at night, keep out from the ditch. Middle of a small road is safest. Lots of feckers still walking in dark clothes. And you can see oncoming cars by their headlights and get back on your own side.

Dogs walking at side of road will will usually look at you and stay where they are. Cats are mental and will dart across in front of you even if their own side was safer & better.

Eating chips while driving on long journey at night is one of life's secret pleasures.

What are your driving truisms?
    (Lets keep car v bike out of this one. Ta)

National radio stations need to use different frequencies to cover the whole country. Radio 1 is on about 5 different frequencies across the country. That’s what actually makes them National, no FM tower could cover the whole of Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The Waterford to Tramore road has an 80km/h speed limit. If you're stuck in a line of traffic going 60 km/h you can be 100% sure it's some **** in a Micra that is holding you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I remember reading a study on whether or not modern 4x4's are safer than regular cars.

The conclusion was more or less that yes their size and bulk tend to give a little more protection, however a lot of people get over confident in that protection thereby ending up driving in a way that completely negates any extra safety the car may have afforded them.

(it was a nice way of saying many people in large 4x4s drive like dicks basically)

I've heard that SUV s are more unstable than saloons and hatchbacks due to their height and weight distribution , and can cause problems at corners, or incidents where they have to change direction quickly resulting in becoming unstable/lacking control or even overturning.

Years back I read an article by Jeremy Clarkson where he suggested similar. That people have become more complacent because of "safety features" and as a joke he suggested replacing the airbag with a dirty great rusty spike in the middle of the steering wheel which might reduce speeding and road deaths. There might be something to that.

I drive a twenty year old car, no airbags, traction control, or ABS and no soundproofing to speak of either. A car perfectly capable of doing 100 miles per hour plus very stably and easily, however because it's so raw and connected to the road you know and feel the speeds you're going at and 100MPH(Allegedly...) feels bloody fast and bloody dangerous. With the result I rarely if ever speed. The joke being a "boy racer" type car has actually made me a more careful driver. In a mate's new Beemer, a very respectable "adults" car, 100 feels more like 50. If you weren't keeping an eye on the speedo you could easily creep up to silly speeds on a motorway.

lalababa wrote: »
    I've heard that SUV s are more unstable than saloons and hatchbacks due to their height and weight distribution , and can cause problems at corners, or incidents where they have to change direction quickly resulting in becoming unstable/lacking control or even overturning.
    They're so much more stable than similar cars of the past, though even with all the driver aids and traction control to quote Scotty of Star Trek: "Ye cannae cheat the laws of physics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Two things that really get me:

1. Why do we all have to move at the speed of the slowest vehicle? Nothing worse than a line of cars getting stuck behind some git doing 35km/hr with no chance to overtake. Surely we should all move at the speed of the fastest vehicle, the Germans sorted this **** out in the 30s with the blitzkrieg, we need a return to that.

2. Cúnts, absolute cúntbags that require an invitation by registered post to take off at a junction or enter a roundabout when nothing is actually stopping them. What on Earth is the holdup, there's nothing coming!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The cheaper the tyres on a car, the higher the iq of the driver.
    As a rough rule of thumb, drivers with expensively advertised 'brand' ones are below 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

To quote an former coworker. Ol wans driving Micras on the dual carriageway at 80 km/hr with their hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel and they DON'T WANT TO GO ON THE ROUNDABOUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Theirs nothing wrong with my spelling and I'll have you know I do understand motorway lane use.

You're wrong. There is something wrong with your spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I was heading West on the M7 yesterday evening and was surprised to see a number of people trundling along in the overtaking lane at 100km/h or so, even when the left hand lane was empty.

How long do you stay behind someone like that before you undertake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

mr_cochise wrote: »
    You're wrong. There is something wrong with your spelling.

Theirs defiantly nothing wrong with my spelling. Your the one whose wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

On quiet country roads, at night, keep out from the ditch. Middle of a small road is safest. Lots of feckers still walking in dark clothes. And you can see oncoming cars by their headlights and get back on your own side.

On first reading i read that at "feckers still **** in dark clothes"
    😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two things that really get me:

1. Why do we all have to move at the speed of the slowest vehicle? Nothing worse than a line of cars getting stuck behind some git doing 35km/hr with no chance to overtake. Surely we should all move at the speed of the fastest vehicle, the Germans sorted this **** out in the 30s with the blitzkrieg, we need a return to that.

2. Cúnts, absolute cúntbags that require an invitation by registered post to take off at a junction or enter a roundabout when nothing is actually stopping them. What on Earth is the holdup, there's nothing coming!!

You need to watch Death Race 2000 (and deffo not that shiity Death Race with Statham).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Rural driving - when a car pulls out of side road in front of you, they will only stay on your road for a few hundred yards and then pull into side road.

I thought this was just me! And the more dangerous their pullout onto the road, the more likely they are to turn off again within a hundred metres

lalababa wrote: »

As someone who's been, erm, "bauld" in both, the SUV is easier to go pear-shaped in and much, much harder to get back :o
    That extra ton takes some wrangling :D

You need to watch Death Race 2000 (and deffo not that shiity Death Race with Statham).

Ah the one with Statham has cooler deaths tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Citroen Berlingo drivers are the slowest on the road bar none.

As someone who's been, erm, "bauld" in both, the SUV is easier to go pear-shaped in and much, much harder to get back :o
    That extra ton takes some wrangling :D

Kinda proving the point of the study there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

Red: Stop

Green: Go

Orange: Go faster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

If I'm driving at the legal limit in the fast lane, you can be guaranteed that some prick will start flashing there lights at me.

Absolutely, unless you are actively overtaking someone.

Advertisement