Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive price increases after brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I was there two days ago. The buildings to the left near the Parkway looked like something out of the London blitz! From the Hunt museum up to O'Connell Street every second building was boarded up. Every other shop in William Street was either a euro shop, a bookmakers or a charity shop and I felt a bit out of place as I wasn't wearing a grey cotton tracksuit. Apart from all that it was dead classy!

Yeah some building projects got frozen in the great Limerick crash. The state set up a special purpose vehicle called NAMA to help Limerick, when stalled Limerick projects destroyed the viability of the Euro currency.

I thought I was well versed in Irish geography. This town without people wearing tracksuits you live in - where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Can we take the internet away from stupid people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

All this talk of tax harmonisation is starting to worry me.

If we lose that Corporation rate we're in big trouble.

I've a feeling that Europe are going to start putting the squeeze on us once Britain go.

It's taking the thread off on a big tangent but there are several reasons why US technology companies for example are here, not just tax.

- we predominantly speak English and will be the only one's left

- We are the closest physically

- we are the closest in timezone

- we mostly have a later working day

- We have a migration of many skilled workers built up over 20 years

- we happen to be 8 hours ahead of Silicon Valley

- The IDA

- Some European area's, including some EU members already have a lower headline corporation tax rate than Ireland - Malta, Bulgaria, Gibraltar, Hungary, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Croatia, Moldova and Cyprus. And, Liechtenstein's is the same as Ireland's.

- If tax's are all the same, nobody in the EU will have a tax advantage on us

- It won't happen anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All this talk of tax harmonisation is starting to worry me.

If we lose that Corporation rate we're in big trouble.

I've a feeling that Europe are going to start putting the squeeze on us once Britain go.

You can bet on this. The UK and Ireland tended to be in lock step when it came to tax, with the bigger player gone France and Germany will be sharpening their carving knives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Tea Shock wrote: »
    It's taking the thread off on a big tangent but there are several reasons why US technology companies for example are here, not just tax.

- The IDA

- Some European area's, including some EU members already have a lower headline corporation tax rate than Ireland - Malta, Bulgaria, Gibraltar, Hungary, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Croatia, Moldova and Cyprus. And, Liechtenstein's is the same as Ireland's.

- It won't happen anyway

Most of that is right. There’s a fair amount of VC capital in Ireland too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Low tax is the primary factor.

Much of Europe can speak fairly good English, well better anyway than Ire can speak French or German.

Still a bit of a walk across to NYC, an extra 500km means little across 6-12,000kms or so to the US (which has it's own multiple timezones).

+/-12hrs might actually be the ideal handover slot, someone else can pickup the downtime and return it back ready/updated for the am.

The EU mainland has a much, much larger mobile pool to fish from.

Only a few of those are actual proper countries, the rest are tiny tax haven-esq states. You could likely add those all together, triple them and it'll still be a smaller GDP than France.

A level playing field will actually be an uneven field for smaller, more remote states.
    - It won't happen anyway

Fingers crossed / crystal-ball time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

You can bet on this. The UK and Ireland tended to be in lock step when it came to tax, with the bigger player gone France and Germany will be sharpening their carving knives.

They were and they weren't. The UK has gone quite agressively after large IT companies, notably Google who were being accused of operating a brass plate in Dublin, despite thousands of employees.

The UK's been more about trying to block EU banking regulations which worry it more than tax.

On taxation, our allies are the Netherlands and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Mrhuth wrote: »
    Good luck, you'll definitely need it. This is what happens when you rely on someone else for life support

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

If there is a hard Brexit, (as I suspect), there will probably be a lot more goods from France, the Netherlands and Germany on the supermarket shelves and a lot less from the UK. I recently got a greenhouse so hopefully I will be largely self sufficient in veg soon. Growing your own is a good idea anyway from a food security point of view.

I think shipping companies use major ports as hubs and at present Ireland would get a lot of its stuff from major ports in the UK but it should be straightforward enough to use Rotterdam or even develop our own international hub at Ringaskiddy or the Shannon estuary, although the latter would probably require a lot of investment first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

At least it's a plan! I haven't seen anything better.

Tally-ho

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Brexit won’t happen, Teresa May has shate her panties.

If there is a hard Brexit, (as I suspect), there will probably be a lot more goods from France, the Netherlands and Germany on the supermarket shelves and a lot less from the UK. I recently got a greenhouse so hopefully I will be largely self sufficient in veg soon. Growing your own is a good idea anyway from a food security point of view.

I think shipping companies use major ports as hubs and at present Ireland would get a lot of its stuff from major ports in the UK but it should be straightforward enough to use Rotterdam or even develop our own international hub at Ringaskiddy or the Shannon estuary, although the latter would probably require a lot of investment first.

Certainly logistics is a real factor, 10yrs ago Amzn opened it's 4th warehouse in the UK (the size of x10 football fields).

Shipping is good and cheap, but slow. Imagine some major upgrades will be required. Maybe some of those Chinese super tankers to keep the shelves of new Lidl/Aldi stores filled.

Port security would also need stepped up (at point of departure), Laois has enough mysterious lads jumping out of trucks arriving from the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

the uk's biggest banking corporation Barclays is moving its headquarters to dublin in january. take your own conclusions from that

the uk's biggest banking corporation Barclays is moving its headquarters to dublin in january. take your own conclusions from that

Is that why the average council house will be 500 grand to build?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Is that why the average council house will be 500 grand to build?

not sure really but it looks like they are getting out while the going is good. the deadline is the 29th of march next year for the brexit negotiations so barclays are going even before there is a brexit deal done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Low tax is the primary factor.

Nope. Not true. If it were true then we would have seen changes recently.

Much of Europe can speak fairly good English, well better anyway than Ire can speak French or German.

English is the language of IT. That means that it’s easy to come to Ireland if you are an IT worker, because you’ll have the language.

Still a bit of a walk across to NYC, an extra 500km means little across 6-12,000kms or so to the US (which has it's own multiple timezones).

+/-12hrs might actually be the ideal handover slot, someone else can pickup the downtime and return it back ready/updated for the am.

Office work isn’t 12 hour days. It’s eight.

The EU mainland has a much, much larger mobile pool to fish from.

It’s the same pool.
    Only a few of those are actual proper countries, the rest are tiny tax haven-esq states. You could likely add those all together, triple them and it'll still be a smaller GDP than France.

We’re pretty small too.

A level playing field will actually be an uneven field for smaller, more remote states.

Fingers crossed / crystal-ball time.

Ireland isn’t remote of course.

Nope. Not true. If it were true then we would have seen changes recently.

How so? Has corp tax been raised to 25%? Maybe you refer to the specific (historical) sweetheart tax deal with Apple.
    English is the language of IT. That means that it’s easy to come to Ireland if you are an IT worker, because you’ll have the language.

Foget MIT folks, go to Oxford to study classics before embarking on banging out C+, Java or Python.
    Office work isn’t 12 hour days. It’s eight.

In IT, it may well be closer to 10+.
    It’s the same pool.

If you can get a {discount airlines} flight on time for contracts.
    We’re pretty small too.

Really? Compared to Malta, Andora, Gib etc.
    Ireland isn’t remote of course.

An island off to the West of non-EU Brexitland.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Nobody can guarantee shyt about Brexit as nobody has any clue about an of it from what I can see.

Headless chickens.
    If the outcome is a "hard" Brexit with no deal made, I can guarantee you one thing. The UK will become America's b*tch.

#takecontrol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Massive lol after brexit. Once Nissan, Mini Cooper, Range Rover, all the like of them gadges pull out the country it's going to be some craic watching the entrenched eegits sticking to this lunatic manoeuvre. Hopefully there's still some coal still left in their pits because they're going to have to eat it, let alone burn it

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

mad muffin wrote: »
    And what about the bbc?! Has anyone thought about what will happen when we won’t be able to watch the bbc?! :eek::mad::(

Wait, what does this have to do with big black cocks?

• Advertisement

Keep spraying them with wd 40 and think of hummus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I couldn’t do without bbc.

Where is the flute what pushed this thing anyways? David Cameron? Is he dead? It's funny because on the TV news the former leader of the yank country from that same timeline, Barack Obama, is on the news every week with some sort of statement about something somewhere whats going on. Cameron, on the other hand, it has vanished like a fart in the wind as if the snooty hoor never existed in the first place

He jumped ship along with Borris, there is so much shiit everywhere.

Handy to be able jump the ship when you won't have to eat the coal

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Sterling dropped again today with news of the rejection of the latest British effort. When Brexit actually happens how low will £ be? It will leave Brit products cheap even after tax maybe? But by then many manufacturers will have left the uk. They haven't anything that can't be got else where nowadays, as far as i know.

buried wrote: »
    Handy to be able jump the ship when you won't have to eat the coal

And avoid the big dildo drexit.

Mrhuth wrote: »
    That will be the least of your worries, you'll sing a different tune when you're paying 30% more for any goods coming from the uk which is a lot. Go around your house and see how many goods are manufactured in uk and distributed in Ireland, you'll be surprised.

Another classic Brexiter delusion about modern Britain's economic importance. Manufacturing in the UK? Really? Is it 1880 where you live? A paltry 10% of the UK's output is from manufacturing. 10%. This is far lower than Germany (23%), half of Poland's (20%), and considerably lower than France, Spain, Netherlands, Italy and, well, most other modern countries (all 2015 sources from here).

I don't even think OP is trolling.

Yesterday, he started a thread about whether or not he is allowed to not slow down and crash into a merging driver. He said he doesn't care about wrecking his car or possibly killing himself. He's only concerned about insurance.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108146725

I thought it was an interesting and unintentional analogy of Brexit.

No offense to OP but he is clearly challenged. A severe learning disability is likely if one thinks smashing into another car at 120kmph is a viable option with insurance being the only thing worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Things will get tricky here initially, particularly in agri exports. But because we know we're a relatively small and insignificant island on the edge of Europe, we're very adaptable, through necessity. After a few years we'll be all the better for it. And no harm to pick up another language, most Europeans seem to have picked up English, a difficult language to learn by accounts.

Advertisement