Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive price increases after brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,396 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mrhuth wrote: »
    I can guarantee you that everything will increase massively. Even now our current prices are so much higher than prices in the UK so you end up buying half of the things from ebay or amazon as otherwise you're forced to pay 3 times the price compared to UK products. Most of our imports are from UK so 90% of the things will increase heavily in price after the outside EU tax. Just like buying from USA, you pay $100 on a $300 item just for taxes. UK leaving is going to crash Ireland. Should have joined the UK or colonized the world. I'm moving to the UK in a few months permanently and I'll laugh at you all when the UK doesn't babysit and support you anymore. You're gonna cry about how the evil overlord ain't protecting you anymore. Good luck, you'll definitely need it. This is what happens when you rely on someone else for life support

U alri hun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ireland relies on UK. Think or Ireland as a child inside a woman's womb. UK is the mother and if she dies, so does the child.

Naw. We can import from anywhere. On the other hand the U.K. depends on the EU for its trade.

Irish exports of food might be an issue but that’s it really. Even the the British have gotta eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Companies are already preparing for it. I’m seeing a hell of a lot of Spanish, German branded products like Heinz ketchup, Herbal Essences Shampoo, P&G products etc on the shelves.

Most of these products are already cheaper to import and sell than their British counterparts. €1 for a bottle of Heinz ketchup you can’t go wrong with that can you?

Companies like HBC-Coca Cola will be forced to move production back to the republic or face obliteration. Kerry foods will have to bring cheese production and packaging back to the south.

Some areas of the economy will be affected but others will thrive. If the eggs are cracked make omelettes. Ireland won’t suffer as much as your beloved England will.

Overhead this on the Limerick to Thurles train that Jaguar Landrover are apparently looking for a large premises here. They already created jobs in r&d in Shannon. R&D tends to not operate out of large premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

I can guarantee you that everything will increase massively. Even now our current prices are so much higher than prices in the UK so you end up buying half of the things from ebay or amazon as otherwise you're forced to pay 3 times the price compared to UK products. Most of our imports are from UK so 90% of the things will increase heavily in price after the outside EU tax. Just like buying from USA, you pay $100 on a $300 item just for taxes. UK leaving is going to crash Ireland. Should have joined the UK or colonized the world. I'm moving to the UK in a few months permanently and I'll laugh at you all when the UK doesn't babysit and support you anymore. You're gonna cry about how the evil overlord ain't protecting you anymore. Good luck, you'll definitely need it. This is what happens when you rely on someone else for life support

lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭SteM

The cost of stuff might go up but if you think you're going to avoid that by moving to the UK then you're mistaken. I think you knew that already though but you do like making the drama queen type of posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ireland relies on UK. Think or Ireland as a child inside a woman's womb. UK is the mother and if she dies, so does the child.

Admit it, you're David McWillaims aren't you?
    BTW, Britain has a population of around 65 million people. Can you name one, just one, person who has been able to outline what Britain will be like post Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I can guarantee you that everything will increase massively.

What next? Somebody'll be murdered and then where are we? Drive-by shootings in the night.
    It'll be like Boyz N the Hood.
    Then they'll have whores selling their wares on the street.
    The pimps'll be using crack to keep the whores under control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

cya, don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

another seriously odd thread started by a newbie? Troll alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

marvin80 wrote: »
    What next? Somebody'll be murdered and then where are we? Drive-by shootings in the night.
    It'll be like Boyz N the Hood.
    Then they'll have whores selling their wares on the street.
    The pimps'll be using crack to keep the whores under control

Steady on, no need to be bringing Limerick into this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If prices do go up due to currency fluctuations and/or tariffs between U.K. and Ireland/EU, this will have the same affect on these markets as anywhere else in the world. The buyer looks for cheaper suppliers, the seller will have to lower unit prices in order to remain competitive.

Op, I suspect you think that an item that costs €3 now will cost €4 next year. It possibly could, but what is more likely is that the seller will have to reduce the €3 price in order to remain competitive. An example of this is the tariffs imposed on the US is response to Trumps policies. Soya bean growers/farmers in the US are suffering because they are having to lower their prices to sell into China, one of their biggest markets because of the tariffs imposed. If they don't, the Chinese will not buy. The same will happen here.

What I don't think you comprehend is that the biggest impact on Ireland is the reverse of your process, Irish exporters may have to significantly reduce prices to sell into the U.K. This process will also apply to your beloved UK where both importers and exporters are very worried about the impact of Brexit. If you are moving to the UK to work in finance, construction or manufacturing, I wouldn't be too confident of a better standard of living. Also, by the way, economists forecast a significant decrease in readily available produce and increased costs in the U.K. due to a slow down in importation mechanism after Brexit.

Right now, nobody knows what will happen, so you might have a lorry load of egg on your face in a few months, or you could be absolutely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Every supplier of goods that I deal with have plans in place of needed to locate a distribution centre in mainland Europe, most will be going to Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

hairyslug wrote: »
    Every supplier of goods that I deal with have plans in place of needed to locate a distribution centre in mainland Europe, most will be going to Holland.

Unfortunately a recent survey that was discussed on The Last Word showed that a very small number of Irish businesses had plans in place for Brexit. Most are adopting a "wait and see" mentality, which is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Whirl_wolle

Hopefully a deal will come about. Recently there's talk of a second referendum for the UK but I must admit it's a bit too late for that. That should have been done before they enacted article 50. I don't see a second referendum going down too well over there either.

We do rely a lot on the UK for many products. For example,

Ford is a UK car manufacturer and its popular here in Ireland. So without a deal, Ford cars and Ford car parts will become more expensive. Shopping local or shopping online from further afield isn't going to help here.

Thankfully Ireland is big with pharmaceutical companies however there would be medicines and other medical supplies we don't work on and come from abroad. When my pet was on medication, the medication came from the UK. So after brexit and without a deal, human and veterinary medicines will be hammered.

Other household supplies. One thing I can think of are the plugs. Ireland and the UK has different sockets and plugs to mainland Europe. If you look at many plugs there's a British standard stamp on them. After brexit and without a deal, sockets and plugs will become more expensive due to taxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Mrhuth wrote:

Shouldn't you be concentrating on negotiations Theresa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Yes living in the UK will just be wonderful after a no deal Brexit.

Things will get off to a bumpy start for the UK and for Europe but they'll settle down after a while. A no deal Brexit is going to be a shock for Europe also. The RoI is going to suffer just as much as anyone, given the close ties between the two countries.
    wellwhynot wrote: »
    Yes living in the UK will just be wonderful after a no deal Brexit. You are correct that the prices of British goods will rise which will mean countries like Ireland will import far less.

Where are we going to source these goods from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Steady on, no need to be bringing Limerick into this!

Ah I see how you got mixed up - the L in Limerick and the L in Los Angeles. Try to read more slowly and carefully.

Out of curiousity - when was the last time you stayed in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

mad muffin wrote: »
    Omfg!!! Just realised!!! Wtf is going to happen with the Amazon?! Wtf countries Amazon are we going to use after brexit?!?!?!...

I have used .de and .es without any trouble. They're often cheaper than .co.uk, and they deliver here no worries. Chrome automatically translates the pages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Admit it, you're David McWillaims aren't you?
    BTW, Britain has a population of around 65 million people. Can you name one, just one, person who has been able to outline what Britain will be like post Brexit.

I believe the right and honourable Boris Johnson has declared a fox hunt that will never end is the plan old chap

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

How many things are made in the UK that we actually buy? TV's? Smartphones? Clothes? Wine? Spirits? Im guessing no to all of these

Won't these things become more expensive for UK once they leave? This may affect us with the UK being a land bridge for us, and for us buying from UK companies selling into Ireland

• Advertisement

Naw. We can import from anywhere. On the other hand the U.K. depends on the EU for its trade.

Irish exports of food might be an issue but that’s it really. Even the the British have gotta eat.

We might solve a few problems by consuming what we would've exported to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can guarantee you that everything will increase massively.
    I clicked on this thread hoping for a bit of evidence, but nope it's just another opinion piece from someone who clearly is just guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I suggest that the OP stops reading too much in hysterical sensationalist rubbish spouted in second rate "news" outlets that employ junior unpaid interns to write their stories.

Hopefully a deal will come about. Recently there's talk of a second referendum for the UK but I must admit it's a bit too late for that. That should have been done before they enacted article 50. I don't see a second referendum going down too well over there either.

Ford is a UK car manufacturer and its popular here in Ireland. So without a deal, Ford cars and Ford car parts will become more expensive. Shopping local or shopping online from further afield isn't going to help here.

Thankfully Ireland is big with pharmaceutical companies however there would be medicines and other medical supplies we don't work on and come from abroad. When my pet was on medication, the medication came from the UK. So after brexit and without a deal, human and veterinary medicines will be hammered.

Other household supplies. One thing I can think of are the plugs. Ireland and the UK has different sockets and plugs to mainland Europe. If you look at many plugs there's a British standard stamp on them. After brexit and without a deal, sockets and plugs will become more expensive due to taxes etc.

My current ford was built in Belgium. Previous one was built in Spain. Do they still manufacture in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Maybe shop local? Support the local retailers. If you don't , don't moan when they're gone.

I couldn't give a rats arse about local retailers - I'm all about the cheap Chinese swag these days.

Go China:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Ford is an American car manufacturer that has plants in Spain, Germany and Belgium etc. The Ford Transit Engine is the only operation left of Ford in the UK IIRC

Apart from Nissan and Toyota cars built in the UK (which are losing share to Kia/Hyundai) the UK built car industry here is very niche. Land Rover, Jaguar etc are small numbers. Majority of cars on our roads are built on the continent.

Plaxton buses were huge here in the 70s to late 1990s. Every operator had a Plaxton coach. At one point 90% of Bus Éireann Expressway fleet was Daf/Volvo/Leyland chassis with a Plaxton body. 1998 they and many private operators shifted to Spanish coach builder Irizar, caetano etc

Iarnród Éireann with BREL mk2 Mk3 coaches up until the late 2000s. Now Spanish CAF (beautiful MK4s that I love) and 22000 from Japan/Korea (Hyundai Rotem)

Majority of sockets are made in China and we had our own industry here up until the 1990s.

We aren’t as reliant on them as you’d think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

mad muffin wrote: »
    Omfg!!! Just realised!!! Wtf is going to happen with the Amazon?! Wtf countries Amazon are we going to use after brexit?!?!?!...

Amazon.ie coming soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I doubt the transition will be wrinkle free but I think the U.K. will be surprised how quickly the eu manages without them.
    I bet there are businesses in France and Germany who other than language barrier are just as capable of supplying us with whatever we need.

I think the U.K. will have a period where quantitative easing will support their economy, but in that 3-5 years if they don’t sort themselves out they are on for a rough time. Even on simple things like food, they are nowhere capable of feeding their 65m population. They have asked the army to withdraw large power generating plants from over seas to patch into the grid as they aren’t power ready either. They are playing a huge gamble and really I think they wanted Europe to come bowing and scraping to ask tie crown to remain in Europe. Bit like OP, good riddance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The value of Sterling will drop after a no deal Brexit, should that happen, parity will be almost certain so importing from the UK will be very cheap and city breaks likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The value of Sterling will drop after a no deal Brexit, should that happen, parity will be almost certain so importing from the UK will be very cheap and city breaks likewise.

the value of sterling has already dropped. it was €1.30 to the £ on the day of the brexit vote. It is €1.13 to the £ now and doesnt show any sign of recovering.

Advertisement