Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I take it you were disappointed to see the same pulling and dragging antics from the Galway defenders too?

After Sligo let Galway stroll through the their defence time and time again last year I was happy to see a bit of aggression from them and at least make Galway work for their scores.

Sligo have had three different managers the last three years and a fair amount of turnover in players in that time so it's hard to gauge too much from that match.

I can appreciate the bit of bite and a bit of aggression certainly needed from ye but there was a clear directive in the first half to foul outside 35 where Galway wouldn't be able to score the free against the wind. I wouldn't be surprised if Sligo numbered 15 fouls in that area in 35 mins. That can only come from upstairs. Cummins was getting molested inside also and the keeper almost conned the umpires into sending him off. I counted Walsh being hit 4 sperate times off the ball as he made a run upfield at one stage, he was 100% targeted from the get go

threeball wrote: »
    Shane Walsh was far superior to Comer last year. Comer takes too much out of the ball. If he played the target man and fed those around him he'd be unstoppable and make more room for himself. Unfortunately his default is to take it down and charge at goal. Once the defenders know that's what's going to happen he gets swallowed up. He needs to vary his game for his own sake and the team.

He was directly accountable for 6 points and 8 points in the games against Dublin last year off very limited ball while being double marked. You're suggesting he's dropped. Are you on a wind up?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I can appreciate the bit of bite and a bit of aggression certainly needed from ye but there was a clear directive in the first half to foul outside 35 where Galway wouldn't be able to score the free against the wind. I wouldn't be surprised if Sligo numbered 15 fouls in that area in 35 mins. That can only come from upstairs. Cummins was getting molested inside also and the keeper almost conned the umpires into sending him off. I counted Walsh being hit 4 sperate times off the ball as he made a run upfield at one stage, he was 100% targeted from the get go

Pat Hughes got a yellow card for being wrestled to the ground, saw plenty of runs being blocked by Galway backs too, while it's not great to watch both sides were as bad as each today for it.

Was strange with such a small crowd at it, Markievicz is usually wedged for the first Connacht game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

One other thing about today and not sure if many went in but I thought Michael Day was fantastic for the junior team again. I know the level is completely different but himself and Sean Denvir looked a cut above everything else. Day has been in and around the fringes of the Galway team and on days like today I wonder is he worth a more prolonged look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I take it you were disappointed to see the same pulling and dragging antics from the Galway defenders too?
    I can't remember which Sligo lad it was but the lad that kept walking towards Shane Walsh when he was lining up frees against the breeze was great ****ehousing and it worked a couple of times.

Your keeper was an absolute clown though throwing himself to the floor pretending Cummins knocked the nose off him. I honestly reckon if he stayed on his feet there would've been a better chance of a straight red for Cummins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Robson99

Onwards to Wexford next Sunday. Will be extremely tough. Lose and we are in big trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Galway backs were quite good. SAC had a couple of very good moments despite sending off. Silke obviously superb. Of any team in the country, we've probably had the single biggest addition over last year with him. One of our best players easily. Molloy injury disappoting. John Daly was very good and Bradshaw very tough in possession.

John Daly has a great range of passing from half back. He always tries to get the head up and pick out a man up the field. Noticeable how many scores are coming from his passes since he came into the team. His big challenge now is staying fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I can't remember which Sligo lad it was but the lad that kept walking towards Shane Walsh when he was lining up frees against the breeze was great ****ehousing and it worked a couple of times.

Your keeper was an absolute clown though throwing himself to the floor pretending Cummins knocked the nose off him. I honestly reckon if he stayed on his feet there would've been a better chance of a straight red for Cummins.

Can anyone understand the grounds for the yellow card?

It seems to me it was either a strike or it wasnt, therefore a red or nothing at all.

A cop out by the ref?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Can anyone understand the grounds for the yellow card?

It seems to me it was either a strike or it wasnt, therefore a red or nothing at all.

A cop out by the ref?

Spot on. It was nothing at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Robson99 wrote: »
    Onwards to Wexford next Sunday. Will be extremely tough. Lose and we are in big trouble

It's a home game so we should win. Obviously we will need to raise the tempo compared to Carlow but I think the draw is favourable to ease us into the championship. The Nowlan Park game will be tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Would agree games and timings of them are set up well for us, still feel we to pick up some momentum fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Anyone hear any news on Kieran Molloy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Anyone hear any news on Kieran Molloy?

Dislocated shoulder. Might be ok again for next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

Robson99 wrote: »

Glass half empty approach.

Win and we're within touching distance of the final after the Wexicans drew with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

In the football forwards need to up there game big time . Scoring rates v poor v London and Sligo . To have a full forward line that didn’t muster a point between them and all 3 taken off against a Sligo team relegated to div 4 is worried . One thing is for sure we won’t get away with threat from here on in .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

spurshero wrote: »
    In the football forwards need to up there game big time . Scoring rates v poor v London and Sligo . To have a full forward line that didn’t muster a point between them and all 3 taken off against a Sligo team relegated to div 4 is worried . One thing is for sure we won’t get away with threat from here on in .

In fairness, Galway were playing against a mass defence on Sunday so room to operate for the FF line was at a premium. However, all 3 the last day were a bit the same, it probably needs a different type player there a-la Comer to mix it up a bit. Ian Burke will definitely be there, then it's a pick-and-match between Cummins, O Laoi, Brannigan, (maybe Martin Farragher) none of whom are really world class, though O Laoi shows promise. The half line also needs a scoring boost. Shane Walsh is fine; Ml Daly is a good footballer but has a tendency to kick the ball wildly when shooting, resulting in a mixed scoring return. Is also a bit one-paced and unable to beat defenders on the run. Heaney seems to be a good goal poacher, though not as prolific at points. Maybe he'd be switched to the HB line in time, KW is loyal to him anyway. You get the impression that KW, with his innate caution, does tend to like his HF line to be work horses as much as scoring attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

spurshero wrote: »

Current system leaves forwards with little to no chance of scoring. If you're going to transition slowly from defence you can expect your midfield and half backs to be your top scorers coming off overlaps. The lads inside haven't a prayer so it's not about them upping their game and more about the system adapting to suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Tony og Reagan gone to work with the limerick hurlers I see was he with tipp last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

My worry with the footballers at the moment is that I'd have zero confidence in naming any line of the pitch with the exception of the full backs. There could well be more changes to the Galway lineup compared to last year than Mayo or Roscommon. Obviously Comer and Conroy's injury, Armstrong's retirement and Sweeney taking the year off meant that there will be a certain level of change but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 8 or more changes for Galway compared to the Mayo game last year. Great squad depth but I'd be worried about that level of turnover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know this was brought up on Hoganstand recently but the social medial coverage from the official Galway GAA accounts are disgraceful. Have to keep updated by the Sligo twitter account for the U-17's match tonight. Galway GAA's latest tweet was a retweet of Supermacs promoting Tex Callaghan while there's a crucial underage match underway as we speak.

Tribesman GAA was a voluntary initiative and have done fantastic work organised buses and giving updated but the verified accounts are unbelievably lazy. They have a lot of respect in my book but they can only do so much as volunteers.

I've gone into that office in Pearse Stadium many times for tickets previously and the utter disdain in their eyes that you would dare disturb their gossiping or Facebook feeds is gas. That attitude clearly extends to other avenues of their admin roles. Surely the fact the millions of euro have been pissed into the wind by the Board doesn't mean we can't get better coverage of all Galway intercounty sides?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I know this was brought up on Hoganstand recently but the social medial coverage from the official Galway GAA accounts are disgraceful. Have to keep updated by the Sligo twitter account for the U-17's match tonight. Galway GAA's latest tweet was a retweet of Supermacs promoting Tex Callaghan while there's a crucial underage match underway as we speak.

Tribesman GAA was a voluntary initiative and have done fantastic work organised buses and giving updated but the verified accounts are unbelievably lazy. They have a lot of respect in my book but they can only do so much as volunteers.

I've gone into that office in Pearse Stadium many times for tickets previously and the utter disdain in their eyes that you would dare disturb their gossiping or Facebook feeds is gas. That attitude clearly extends to other avenues of their admin roles. Surely the fact the millions of euro have been pissed into the wind by the Board doesn't mean we can't get better coverage of all Galway intercounty sides?

It’s pure sh1te.its hard to even find the fixtures for the senior teams.theres about 8 accounts then that haven’t posted anything in years.
    The gaa blog willie joe runs for the mayo fans is top class.surely there’s someone in Galway that could set up something like that

Minor team impossible to know what to make of them. Conceding a goal early in the second half to level the game the centre back gets sent off immediately and yet Galway dig in and pull off a win.

Daithi and Johnny Coen back in. Hopefully can step up from Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The whole online side of Galway GAA needs to overhauled as they aren't keeping up with other counties. The Twitter account for instance has less followers than Mayo, Tipperary and Kilkenny despite Galway having a much larger population than those counties. Simply being a reliable way to check a score of a game would be a real benefit. I hadn't realised TribesmenGAA looks to be finished which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tribesmen GAA was fantastic for up to the minute scores and news but from what I understand it was basically one fella who did it for 8 years as a labour of love. When he finished up recently it's a pity nobody took it on after. Or even a few people to share the workload.

To keep up to date with scores in Galway games now you basically have to check the twitter account of the opposition.

It's worth sending in a few emails calling them a disgrace. Stuff like our social media accounts piss me off no end. Galway are part of the GAA elite, top level hurling and football teams, should be at the top of the list on all spending and providing for facilities but we seem to get shoddy everything. Even stuff like the indoor dome at Bekan. The highest achieving team in the province is the Galway hurlers who will never use it. County board shouldve thrown their weight around and laughed Connacht council out of it when the idea was broached
    It’s pure sh1te.its hard to even find the fixtures for the senior teams.theres about 8 accounts then that haven’t posted anything in years.
    The gaa blog willie joe runs for the mayo fans is top class.surely there’s someone in Galway that could set up something like that

Ah that Willie Joe blog is almost like a parody. Tin foil hat website. All it achieves is giving other counties a good laugh at all the comments once Mayo inevitably crash out

FOC taken off with what looks like a hamstring injury after 20 mins for MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

FlirtFM do a decent job on the county championships.

But agreed, its disgraceful that the people of Galway are so heavily reliant on third party media for updates.

Molloy starting for Corofin. ClareGalway with a surprisingly easy victory over Annaghdown. Comer played no part but did a full warm up for them.

• Advertisement

Molloy starting for Corofin. ClareGalway with a surprisingly easy victory over Annaghdown. Comer played no part but did a full warm up for them.

Scratch that Molloy did the full warm up but doesn't start

Advertisement