Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭threeball

Walsh going close to adding to his record of being the only manager ever to lose in London. Sticking to his usual crap of sitting deep against one of the worst teams in the entire competition. Farcical stuff. The man is seriously eating into the credit he has as a result of his efforts in 98 and 01.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

jr86 wrote: »
    I always maintain these are just complete damned if you do, damned if you don't games.

Go over, get the result and move on. Similar with ourselves later in NYC

Pretty much. One of those games where if you win it by 15+ points you get no credit for it and if you win it by 4 everyone thinks there is something badly wrong.

Can't read anything into the NY/London games. London are a better challenge but the games don't mean anything come mid June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

spurshero wrote: »
    Is Sean Kelly injured? We must have some defence if Kieran molloy can’t make it !

molloy dose not fit what walsh wants in my opinion which is crazy , he seems to go for sticky defenders ahead of the more mobile ones , molloy is a fantastic attacking wing back walsh prefers his men to stay back

liam silke is mobile also but he can hold the fort better then his club man , if someone was to take over galway in the next few years that can play the corofin system then galway would be a serious team

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

London no. 15 very good. If the second goal chance went in for London it could have been a different story. Dissatisfied about Galway's performance against a division 4 team. London up for it. Pitch in ruislip in great condition. Good to see so many Londoners without irish connections at the match.

Pretty much. One of those games where if you win it by 15+ points you get no credit for it and if you win it by 4 everyone thinks there is something badly wrong.

Can't read anything into the NY/London games. London are a better challenge but the games don't mean anything come mid June.

There's no way you should be coming away from a division 4 team like that being anything less than comfortable winners. Saying it was a no win game is a cop out. If Walsh had any AI aspirations this team would be trying to demolish teams like this and practice attacking strategies. Instead he's spent the entire league and this game doing what he's done for the last 4yrs. It's a waste of everyone's time especially the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

What do Galway have to achieve this year for people to consider the year a success? All Ireland semi final?

h2005 wrote: »
    What do Galway have to achieve this year for people to consider the year a success? All Ireland semi final?

With the squad available to him a semi final would be a minimum expectation. If these players were put in a system suitable to their talents they would be looked on as the primary challengers to Dublins crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

molloy dose not fit what walsh wants in my opinion which is crazy , he seems to go for sticky defenders ahead of the more mobile ones , molloy is a fantastic attacking wing back walsh prefers his men to stay back

liam silke is mobile also but he can hold the fort better then his club man , if someone was to take over galway in the next few years that can play the corofin system then galway would be a serious team

If you want the Corofin way then it's Dave Morris for the job so. Frank brings them to 16 years of age with the development of skills being the dominant focus point then it's onto junior to get them playing the Corofin system. Now if you think it would just fall into place you may think again!!!! Would be up to the development squads to play that way from u15 up and maybe we might be able to have our top team playing the "Corofin" way by 2029.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

If you want the Corofin way then it's Dave Morris for the job so. Frank brings them to 16 years of age with the development of skills being the dominant focus point then it's onto junior to get them playing the Corofin system. Now if you think it would just fall into place you may think again!!!! Would be up to the development squads to play that way from u15 up and maybe we might be able to have our top team playing the "Corofin" way by 2029.

threeball wrote: »
    With the squad available to him a semi final would be a minimum expectation. If these players were put in a system suitable to their talents they would be looked on as the primary challengers to Dublins crown.

KW can do no wrong with some posters here.

Imagine Dublin were a post width away from going level with the worst team in Ireland in injury time.

Funnily enough he was in charge of Sligo when London beat them.

There's been no substantial improvement since he took over.
    There's been a marked improvement in the players available, which in turn has lead to a change of fortunes, but theres still no change in the style of play or tactical tweaks needed to turn games around.

Saving grace is they cant possibly give him another year after this, so we might finally be able to look forward to the games knowing we'll see an exciting team who are genuine contenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

John Daly also seems to be ahead Molloy. Walsh system is hard to score against and beat and naturally he will choose Silke who is probably the best defender Corofin have. I think Molloy will have no improve on the defensive side of game before given regular starts or else given Heaney type role in the team.

I'd question would Corofin's system work at county level against the top teams? at club level they have loads of room and time on the ball plus fitness levels are no where near county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

h2005 wrote:

Winning an All Ireland for me. People may laugh after yesterday but that's where this team should be aiming. Interesting move trying Shane Walsh at midfield. A lot of players had very poor games. Also a worry when we turn over a ball how quickly teams turn it into a goal chance. Slow improvement and aiming towards August is the aim. Hopefully Sligo will bring massive improvement in two weeks.

John Daly also seems to be ahead Molloy. Walsh system is hard to score against and beat and naturally he will choose Silke who is probably the best defender Corofin have. I think Molloy will have no improve on the defensive side of game before given regular starts or else given Heaney type role in the team.

Molloy will be starting by the Connacht final (if we're in it) imo if not against Sligo. He's been given a fairly easy time of it since Corofin won and has only stepped up his training programme recently.

Molloy will be starting by the Connacht final (if we're in it) imo if not against Sligo. He's been given a fairly easy time of it since Corofin won and has only stepped up his training programme recently.

I don't think Walsh fancies him. Walsh is safety first which is why we don't see fast counter attacks from Galway. Molloy is the opposite to everything Walsh wants.

threeball wrote:
    I don't think Walsh fancies him. Walsh is safety first which is why we don't see fast counter attacks from Galway. Molloy is the opposite to everything Walsh wants.

Could be right. Hope your wrong. Just one of the players after the game yesterday said he hasn't been doing as much as other players yet.

Could be right. Hope your wrong. Just one of the players after the game yesterday said he hasn't been doing as much as other players yet.

He isn't going to just throw him in to the mayo game and when you see him putting Gary O Donnell in instead of young blood in what should have been a walk in the park it's not too much of a leap to guess where he's going from here. He'll be lucky to get 15mins again Sligo if we're up by 6+ or chasing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Seems to be very quiet from the hurling panel this year! Is David Burke still captain?

donnem33 wrote:
    Seems to be very quiet from the hurling panel this year! Is David Burke still captain?

He is. Other than JC everyone else is fit and good to go. Up to the panel to show what they can do and MD to fit the pieces correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Anyone going to even try and muster a guess for a team Sunday? :p

The fact its Carlow probably gives MD a bit of leeway, but there are some calls to be made. I'd expect Daithi and David Burke to come straight in, but surely both Cooneys and Glynn will have to make do with bench cameos

Jack Grealish and Kevin Hussey to make their full championship debuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hope Morrissey is given a start. He was injured but played club matches so he should be fine. Could see Hussey starting too.

One of Dave Burke or Coen will likely miss out if Mannion is kept midfield which proved fruitful in the League.

I'd say Skehill is no.1 again this year which doesn't fill me with confidence but he's a step-up from Flannery.

I'd like to see Joseph Cooney and Glynn not starting just yet. Spring them off the bench for sure but Concannon needs championship minutes more than they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Any team named for Carlow game ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

spurshero wrote: »
    Any team named for Carlow game ??

It's being named on Galway bay FM at 9, I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

Callanan
    Jack grealish
    Ronan burke(daithi has a broken toe)
    Harte
    Mannion
    GMAC
    Hussey
    Mannion
    Burke
    Niall burke
    Jayo
    Concannon
    Whelan
    Conor cooney
    Glennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Johnny coen out injured?
    Seems persistant playing glennon cant understand id have evan niland in there instead off him any day or even johnny g full and moving cooney to corner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Wow Callanan back in Goals. I'd expect Skehill and Flannery to be dropped off panel and Eanna Murphy to be sub keeper after that

Dickie9 wrote:
    Johnny coen out injured? Seems persistant playing glennon cant understand id have evan niland in there instead off him any day or even johnny g full and moving cooney to corner

Wouldn't be Glennons biggest fan but to be fair to the lad he had a decent enough league. It's an interesting enough team in the sense the forwards apart from Niall Burke aren't natural high ball winners. Guessing we'll see a bit of variety in the puck outs. Dathi is obviously a massive loss but hopefully it won't unsettle things too much. Grealish, Hussey, Jason Flynn, Concannon and Glennon have the chance now to prove themselves. Up to them to take their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wouldn't be Glennons biggest fan but to be fair to the lad he had a decent enough league. It's an interesting enough team in the sense the forwards apart from Niall Burke aren't natural high ball winners. Guessing we'll see a bit of variety in the puck outs. Dathi is obviously a massive loss but hopefully it won't unsettle things too much. Grealish, Hussey, Jason Flynn, Concannon and Glennon have the chance now to prove themselves. Up to them to take their chances.

Glennon usually has a good league but can never seem to carry it through. Sean Loftus might be feeling a bit miffed not to be starting either. No subs line-up I guess?

Ah now if ya can't start Glennon after having a very stellar league and two outstanding performances for his club, you undermine the whole selection process

Sure how can you just put Glynn straight in, he hasn't even played a competitive club game in months

Team looks spot on.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Wow Callanan back in Goals. I'd expect Skehill and Flannery to be dropped off panel and Eanna Murphy to be sub keeper after that

Not this year, he didn't even play in Walsh Cup. Flannery and Callanan will battle for the jersey throughout the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

jr86 wrote: »
    Ah now if ya can't start Glennon after having a very stellar league and two outstanding performances for his club, you undermine the whole selection process

Sure how can you just put Glynn straight in, he hasn't even played a competitive club game in months

Team looks spot on.

Hes wasted in playing corner forward maybe have him out around midfield

Advertisement