Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

Jesus H.... this is awful rubbish lads.

Good chance we'll lose this as it's going so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Harte, C. Mannion, Whelan and C. Cooney were very good. Some others good in patches but Galway lacked intensity and coughed up some poor scores. Grealish and Hussey were ok Glennon and Flynn were poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Whelan was much better second half but it was amother shocking half for him in the 1st. Glennon not great but was miles ahead of Flynn who is done at intercounty imo.

Defensively we were battered on puckouts.

Thought that Conor Cooney and Harte had very good outings too.

Plenty of work before Wexford in 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Flynn had a few decent touches
    Grealish battled hard two great blocks on his man.
    Glennon did his best got stuck in has limited skill could have layed it off he support was there.
    Noticed we have stopped taking easy points
    Flynn blazing down the sideline great pass to Mannion who just needed to tap over, flutes around ball lost Carlow on the attack.
    Goal from Cooney was class

More positives than negatives without our two stars plus more not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Completely lacked intensity. Forwards touch and ball winning was pathetic. Ronan Burke very poor for Carlow goal. Not many could come out of if with much above 6/10. Possible Cathal Mannion and Whelan ( second half). Coming out of Leinster will be a struggle unless we up the ante 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Tipp look serious, they looked sharp and hungry today. Going on today and the league, I can't see Galway beating them without Canning. Too many Galway lads off form.

We're out to third favourites for the AI behind Limerick and Tipperary.
    4/1, Kilkenny are 5/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭macslash

Bit early in the year to be pushing us out as one of the favourites. One game won't make the Summer, for us or or Tipp. But having said that, not being favourites might suit us better after last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

macslash wrote: »
    Bit early in the year to be pushing us out as one of the favourites. One game won't make the Summer, for us or or Tipp. But having said that, not being favourites might suit us better after last year.

Limerick are expected to win the target is on their backs now. Cork have to get a result next week or goodbye to one of last year’s semifinalists in the space of a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tipp look serious, they looked sharp and hungry today. Going on today and the league, I can't see Galway beating them without Canning. Too many Galway lads off form.

No point worrying about them. Might not even play them this year. I'd be slow to crown any team after one game though. Lot of older legs there that may not last the pace deep into the Summer.

• Advertisement

Galway team v Sligo

Bernard Power
    Eoghan Kerin
    Seán Andy O'Ceallaigh
    Liam Silke
    Kieran Molloy
    Gareth Bradshaw
    John Daly
    Thomas Flynn
    Fiontán O'Curraoin
    Shane Walsh
    Michael Daly
    Johnny Heaney
    Antaine O'Laoí
    Ian Burke
    Danny Cummins

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Galway team v Sligo

Bernard Power
    Eoghan Kerin
    Seán Andy O'Ceallaigh
    Liam Silke
    Kieran Molloy
    Gareth Bradshaw
    John Daly
    Thomas Flynn
    Fiontán O'Curraoin
    Shane Walsh
    Michael Daly
    Johnny Heaney
    Antaine O'Laoí
    Ian Burke
    Danny Cummins

A lot more balanced than the team against london.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Good so see molloy getting chance . Hopefully he will be a success as I think half back line has been our weakest for a number of years . That forward line could do damage on its day . They have any amount of scoring ability but they need to be more consistent . Should get over Sunday with a bit to spare if we’re going to be involved when it really matters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Molloy given his first championship start? will be interesting to see will Walsh select him to start in the Connacht final.

As for Sunday's game. Sligo unlike London don't have the first clue about defending and are fairly weak in midfield also. Anything other than a comfortable win for Galway on Sunday will be a major surprise.

I don't want to be picking anyone out but one selection there shows me KW doesn't understand the modern game.

FOC.

The days of kicking out balls to a crowded midfield are dead and buried. Dublin will be happy for us to do that but won't extend that courtesy.
    They'll pick two lads in midfield that can be forwards or backs. Fenton's cuts the figure of a midfielder but he's talented to boot.
    FOC offers nothing from open play so it's a wasted selection. MDMA would run him into the ground and Fenton would outplay him.

You need midfielders along the lines of Flynn. If you wouldn't pick the player as a back or forward you're as well off not picking him in midfield.

I don't want to be picking anyone out but one selection there shows me KW doesn't understand the modern game.

FOC.

The days of kicking out balls to a crowded midfield are dead and buried. Dublin will be happy for us to do that but won't extend that courtesy.
    They'll pick two lads in midfield that can be forwards or backs. Fenton's cuts the figure of a midfielder but he's talented to boot.
    FOC offers nothing from open play so it's a wasted selection. MDMA would run him into the ground and Fenton would outplay him.

You need midfielders along the lines of Flynn. If you wouldn't pick the player as a back or forward you're as well off not picking him in midfield.

He's the only fit midfielder left apart from D'Arcy and I'm not even sure D'Arcy is still with the squad.

Plenty of legitimate reasons to have a go at Walsh but when he has 3 midfielders out injured eventually your options are who's left available?

FOC.

Watching him play for MB last year in club matches he's improved massively as a footballer. I even think he got on intermediate team of the year. With the injuries he's had I still think he's worth a look. Some people had Flynn written off years ago and if they had there way he would be no where near the team. Now he's one of the first names on our team. With the injuries we have at midfield against relatively poor opposition it's worth a look. Even if it's just to have a lad on the bench to come on with ten minutes to go catch a few balls and close a game out.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Is FOC a better player than Ronan Steede? Definitely not in my opinion yet Steede, for whatever reason has never got a fair go at county level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Saw the MB quarter and two finals last year and FOC was immense. He's a much different type of player to Steede and its impossible to compare their relative levels based on club matches played at different grades, and with a much different standard of team mates

FWIW I'd rate FOC as the more intelligent player who reads the game better. He's a great foil to an attacking midfield partner

In my view the best midfielder in Galway is playing full back for the hurlers

F Ó Curraoin played a key role at midfield in the 2011 and 2013 U21 All Ireland winning teams. he is not as bad as some are making out on here.

• Advertisement

F Ó Curraoin played a key role at midfield in the 2011 and 2013 U21 All Ireland winning teams. he is not as bad as some are making out on here.

He's an old style midfielder really. He's not going to be running up an down the length of the field kicking points like Fenton but he's still a good fetcher even if they are not really valued as much anymore. You need to play a more mobile midfielder with him though.

He's had awful luck with injuries so fair play for him to still be around. With 3 midfielders unavailable he's not a bad fella to have as 5th or 6th choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

Daftest debates on this forum...

Anyway I like the team selection. Sligo is a bit of a nothing game though in all honesty. Not to belittle them but it is what it is.
    Comer, Conroy, McDaid and Kelly all start for me when everyone is fit. For now this is our best team and it's very good one. Lavelle can count himself unfortunate but not much between the two. Great to see Fiontáin back, has had rotten luck with injuries but has the potential to be an excellent footballer if given the chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

People would want to stop comparing every midfielder to Brian Fenton . Fenton is a once in a generation midfielder on the greatest team Probaly of all time . Already gauranteed to go down as one of the greats . To be comparing a guy who has won 2 all Ireland at u 21 level to him but who has suffered a lot with injuries for him is not fair . Lets get behind the lads instead of knocking them . At the end of the day there amateurs who put in a huge effort to wear the county jersey .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

FOC.

It actually shows your lack of knowledge of the teams involved. What happened the last two times we played Sligo in Championship? The ball was kicked out time and time again to the middle. FOC absolutely mopped up and got MOTM in the first game. Flynn mopped up last year was on his way to MOTM before going off injured. Sligo are deplorable at midfield and have never shown a decent semblance of a short kick out strategy. The choice of Power in goal also shows that there could be a tendency to go long on Sunday, and i'll assume we'll push up on theirs. Besides that, what other options were there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wouldn't be taking Sligo for granted after what seemed like a very sluggish showing in Ruislip.

That said it's an exciting team for Sunday.

Disappointing result for our minors. Very poor second half. Hopefully they can improve to get back to a Connacht Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭threeball

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    Daftest debates on this forum...

Anyway I like the team selection. Sligo is a bit of a nothing game though in all honesty. Not to belittle them but it is what it is.
    Comer, Conroy, McDaid and Kelly all start for me when everyone is fit. For now this is our best team and it's very good one. Lavelle can count himself unfortunate but not much between the two. Great to see Fiontáin back, has had rotten luck with injuries but has the potential to be an excellent footballer if given the chance...

Where are those lads in terms of fitness. Comer has been out since before Christmas. What's McDaids injury?

threeball wrote:
    Where are those lads in terms of fitness. Comer has been out since before Christmas. What's McDaids injury?

McDaid, Conroy, Kyne and Varley back training fully.

Disappointing result for our minors. Very poor second half. Hopefully they can improve to get back to a Connacht Final.

Bit of a mad match.

Roscommon 0-6 Galway 1-11 1st half

Roscommon 1-11 Galway 0-4 2nd half

And apparently no wind or sending off to swing the contest.

• Advertisement

Yeah sounded a bit mad alright. Young lads sometimes can't turn around momentum like more experienced players can. Just don't have the nous to slow it down. First time in 5 years that the minors have lost in Connacht. Lucky for them it's round robin this year otherwise they'd be gone already.

Advertisement