Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

1-5 for Conroy from play on his return. Class footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

Would anybody know if there will be stand tickets available at the gate tomorrow for Galway - Wexford in Pearse Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The one week you're looking forward to the hurling being up first on the Sunday Game highlights and then Roscommon go and ruin things.

Presumably.

yasmina wrote: »
    Would anybody know if there will be stand tickets available at the gate tomorrow for Galway - Wexford in Pearse Stadium?

The stand is sold out. I bought online a while ago and it was only terrace available.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

The stand is sold out. I bought online a while ago and it was only terrace available.

Thanks.
    I know they are sold out online and in the shops but somebody told me you could get them on the day at the gate?
    Totally my own fault for not buying them earlier. Lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Paul Conroy scored 1-5 from play on his first game back for St James. Opposition wasn't great though but still some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Poor performance. Blessed we didn't lose at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

macslash wrote:

Team has bottle I'll give them that much. Pity Niall Burke was so off his game. Nice to see Jason Flynn step up to the plate. Loftus and Whelan very good. Game time into Joseph Cooney/Johnny Glynn and Daithi Burke so hopefully we can move another gear for Kilkenny in Nolan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Lucky it was Wexford today or we'd have been beaten out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

macslash wrote: »

Only for Wexford shooting a bag of wides, we'd have been beaten out the gate. The reverse is also true - we had some atrocious wides.

Conor Whelan was the best player for galway today - it was pretty clear many of our lads weren't up to speed (daithi Burke and Joseph Cooney being 2 examples)

Galway will do very well to get anything out of nowlan park in the next round.

• Advertisement

I think at this stage anything bar an AI and its bye bye and thanks to MOD.

Just getting worse by the game since the AI win.

Wexford a team well down the betting for the AI, at home, they don't score for 18mins and hit 6/7 shocking wides and you still cant beat them.

Why on earth would he put N.Burke on the frees again after the last game.
    Between his misses and D.Burkes it must have been 10 alone.

We're the worst goal scoring team in the country, not a single forward with pace and the lack of coaching is most evident when you cant open teams up.

If you took the Mannions out of that team right now you're looking at a team who wouldn't win an argument.

Lose next week and the Leinster final is gone IMO and if we match Wexford on points now they'll likely take us after the paltry score against Carlow.

Wexford a team well down the betting for the AI, at home, they don't score for 18mins and hit 6/7 shocking wides and you still cant beat them.

Why on earth would he put N.Burke on the frees again after the last game. Between his misses and D.Burkes it must have been 10 alone.

We're the worst goal scoring team in the country, not a single forward with pace and the lack of coaching is most evident when you cant open teams up.

If you took the Mannions out of that team right now you're looking at a team who wouldn't win an argument.

Lose next week and the Leinster final is gone IMO and if we match Wexford on points now they'll likely take us after the paltry score against Carlow.

Another way to look at it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Look like a tired team at the moment. Been in a lot of finals in recent years. Replays. A lot of tough games. Even allowing for Joe being missing they haven't looked right all year. You kinda hope they will play their way back into form but I have my doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Turgid stuff. Thought Glennon might snatch a win there but we didn't deserve a win truth be told. Surely both sides broke 20 wides each.

Whelan was about the sole positive out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

The better team but nearly lost it.

Was on the terrace near salthill complex wind very noticeable. Some of the Galway wides inside the 45, wind had a factor particularly in loftus miss near the end. Same for Wexford in first half.

Talk that Galway don’t have a panel is rubbish. Each sub had an impact. Ref gave everything to Wexford after Davy’s antics.

Lee chin is an athlete not a hurler cost Wexford the game last free couldn’t give get the height or distance.

The better team but nearly lost it.

Was on the terrace near salthill complex wind very noticeable. Some of the Galway wides inside the 45, wind had a factor particularly in loftus miss near the end. Same for Wexford in first half.

Talk that Galway don’t have a panel is rubbish. Each sub had an impact. Ref gave everything to Wexford after Davy’s antics.

Lee chin is an athlete not a hurler cost Wexford the game last free couldn’t give get the height or distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

On the bright side leinster is much easier these days, so it does give Galway a slight chance to play into form. Would be annihilated in every game in Munster at present.

That said the team as a whole is looking awful sluggish. Hard to see them turning it around but I suppose teams have been known to start slow and come alive as the summer progresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Cant understand why he cant give evan niland a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Perhaps given your constant abuse of both Michael Donoghue and Kevin Walsh, you might apply for the jobs yourself next year.

With you being such an expert, you may even be able to manage both the hurler's and the footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Think today’s match will bring on the team big time!
    They only got into championship mode with ten minutes to go......and FairPlay to them they got the draw when all seems lost.
    Well done boys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think galway will be happy to finish third, they'll get a Month off without the hassle of a leinster final. I wouldn't rule them out yet , get everyone fit and theyd be dangerous for any team. They'll beat Dublin IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Robson99

Look like a tired team at the moment. Been in a lot of finals in recent years. Replays. A lot of tough games. Even allowing for Joe being missing they haven't looked right all year. You kinda hope they will play their way back into form but I have my doubts.

You cant blame tiredness IMO. Weer just not as good as we think. N Burke, C Cooney, Glennon, Concannon and Flynn just aren't consistent enugh. both Coen and Burke are past it for the middle of the park. Wexford will be kicking themselves that they were 6 pts behind at ht with the chances they had.
    Conceding 16pts was no big issue. Scoring only 16 is and on 7 pts from play. Will be lucky to beat Dublin

Frozen Veg wrote: »

Perhaps given your constant abuse of both Michael Donoghue and Kevin Walsh, you might apply for the jobs yourself next year.

With you being such an expert, you may even be able to manage both the hurler's and the footballers.

You might need to look up the definition of abuse for starters.
    Secondly I see plenty of people here saying this player or that player was poor, what's the difference there?.

If you have a counter argument, produce it. If not get on with your life instead giving me pointless advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

Frozen Veg wrote: »

Waste of time talking to this lad . He wants donaghue out a man that won all Ireland in 2017 and beaten a point in last years final . Sure he hasn’t a clue Gilberto reckons . The fact that we are missing the best player in the country and we would have won today by 6 pts if he was playing escapes him . The way he goes on anything but all Ireland wins in both codes and the manager has to go . Clueless .

You might need to look up the definition of abuse for starters. Secondly I see plenty of people here saying this player or that player was poor, what's the difference there?.

If you have a counter argument, produce it. If not get on with your life instead giving me pointless advice.

We were poor today. No one will dispute that I think. One issue I have is your problem with MD? He has won two Leinster a National League and an All Ireland and contested another losing by a point. In other counties he would be knighted. In 2017, 18 and so far in 19 how many championship games has MD lost? One. Any other manager out there with this record? Who do you think better than him that you would like to see instead?

We don't lack for pace. Never have. Mannion Whelan Concannon and Flynn are very quick. I'm not sure where you get the pace issue from.

We created four good goal chances but took none of them. I agree we've struggled for goals. Before I believe it was simply a tactic to use our long range point takers and avoid sweepers. The last couple of years I feel we've created more without converting enough. It's a problem. But I don't think we're not creating chances.

Niall Burke had a mare today. He's an excellent free taker who took plenty of pressure frees in a recent intermediate all Ireland final. I hope today doesn't set him back too far as he's an excellent player and usually a clinical player from both play and frees. I've seen JC have games where he has missed as much and usually after its "Well JC played bad but no one else stepped to to fill the void" I felt Jason Flynn did today. Had an excellent game throughout.

Hard to know where this Galway team is but I've a feeling we'll get a better picture in two weeks. Plenty of talent in this team. I'd be hopeful it's not time to write their obituaries just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

We were poor today. No one will dispute that I think. One issue I have is your problem with MD? He has won two Leinster a National League and an All Ireland and contested another losing by a point. In other counties he would be knighted. In 2017, 18 and so far in 19 how many championship games has MD lost? One. Any other manager out there with this record? Who do you think better than him that you would like to see instead?

We don't lack for pace. Never have. Mannion Whelan Concannon and Flynn are very quick. I'm not sure where you get the pace issue from.

We created four good goal chances but took none of them. I agree we've struggled for goals. Before I believe it was simply a tactic to use our long range point takers and avoid sweepers. The last couple of years I feel we've created more without converting enough. It's a problem. But I don't think we're not creating chances.

Niall Burke had a mare today. He's an excellent free taker who took plenty of pressure frees in a recent intermediate all Ireland final. I hope today doesn't set him back too far as he's an excellent player and usually a clinical player from both play and frees. I've seen JC have games where he has missed as much and usually after its "Well JC played bad but no one else stepped to to fill the void" I felt Jason Flynn did today. Had an excellent game throughout.

Hard to know where this Galway team is but I've a feeling we'll get a better picture in two weeks. Plenty of talent in this team. I'd be hopeful it's not time to write their obituaries just yet.

Players are definatley there its time 2 re shuffle a small bit davy glennon midfield evan niland in the forwards on the frees or c cooney...johnny g done well wen introduced.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Was happy enough with the draw considering how poor we were. Most of that was down to attitude, we were fairly pedestrian.

On the plus side our passing through the lines was very good in the fits and starts we tried it. Whelans back on form, lots of lads just back in who will improve, both mannions going well, fought well to get back into a game that was going away quickly.

This time last year we were shooting the lights out and shot the load in the semis. Today we can build on. Improve for KK and again for Dublin and one more win is enough to see us into the business end. Losing would have been a disaster but the draw takes alot of pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Glynn will need to knock off the jet lag fairly quickly.
    Is he commuting back and forth again this year for champo.?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Glynn will need to knock off the jet lag fairly quickly.
    Is he commuting back and forth again this year for champo.?

• Advertisement

Thought Glynn made an improvement as did all the subs,

Hussey's pass to jayo was class pity the rest of the lads took shots instead of looking up.

Glennon was fouled for his chance.

Advertisement