Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Yeah sounded a bit mad alright. Young lads sometimes can't turn around momentum like more experienced players can. Just don't have the nous to slow it down. First time in 5 years that the minors have lost in Connacht. Lucky for them it's round robin this year otherwise they'd be gone already.

Our lads didn't handle the change in conditions at all. It was so frustrating. Bouncing a wet ball and it skidding away from them. Running into contact and the ball slipping out there hands. All the subs were poor. Roscommon subs made an impact. Hopefully they can regroup against Sligo next week and get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Our lads didn't handle the change in conditions at all. It was so frustrating. Bouncing a wet ball and it skidding away from them. Running into contact and the ball slipping out there hands. All the subs were poor. Roscommon subs made an impact. Hopefully they can regroup against Sligo next week and get back on track.

That sounds like something Jurgen Klopp would say when his side fail to win a game that they were expected to win.
    Lucky for Galway that the new format has a semi final, if like last year where just the top two reach the final the game v Mayo would have been a huge one.

Galway subs

Lavelle
    Branningan
    Cunningham
    D'Arcy
    Duane
    Farragher
    Finnerty
    O' Donnell
    O'Laoi
    MCDAID
    Wynne

Kilkenny beating Carlow by 16 after about 20mins.... shows how poor we were when the game was in melting pot until the 60th min.

Waterford look like the worst team in Munster by a distance and they beat us twice running.

All the warning signs are there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Very low key build up to this. Hopefully we'll see a better performance than the London match.

• Advertisement

Poor first half. Sligo seem only intent on niggle fouls and slowing the game down to a crawl. No quick ball into our full forward line at all. Pity about Molloy. He had started well. FOC and Liam Silke fantastic so far.

And a strong breeze for Galway second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Muck, should be pushing on and killing Sligo after the second goal not handing them momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭threeball

grbear wrote: »
    Muck, should be pushing on and killing Sligo after the second goal not handing them momentum.

They've been coached to be conservative and safety first for 4yrs. It's not likely they'll turn around and change the way they've played in league and championship for years.

Bringing mcdaid and farragher on with 5mins left. Joke shop. How can they prove anything or get any reasonable game time with that kind of exposure. KW has shown he's a one trick pony at this stage and it's not a very good trick.

threeball wrote:
    Bringing mcdaid and farragher on with 15mins left. Joke shop. How can they prove anything or get any reasonable game time with that kind of exposure. KW has shown he's a one trick pony at this stage and it's not a very good trick.

McDaid is back from an injury and Farragher isn't long with the panel. You'd want to get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

A fair more comfortable win for Galway this afternoon than in London but the margin of defeat was very harsh on the effort Sligo put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

After all that fuss, O'Curraoin actually had a great game.

Mixed performance overall though. Hope Molloy is alright. Fear it could be a bad one.

Mixed performance overall though. Hope Molloy is alright. Fear it could be a bad one.

Only positive I take from Molloy was he sat in the subs bench till half time. So hopefully that might be an indication it's not that bad. The fact they made a temporary sling out of his jersey probably means a shoulder injury. Be a pity if it's something long term.

After all that fuss, O'Curraoin actually had a great game.

Nobody made a fuss.

I was the only one who questioned him and a lot of the points talked about playing Sligo etc.

We wont win an AI against Sligo nor will the likes of Dublin kick balls out to midfield. To me that means theres very little point playing the opponents game in an earlier round.
    I don't question his ability to play against D2-D4 teams but in late summer when titles are on the line playing a traditional midfielder and kicking balls long is exactly what will see us knocked out.

McDaid is back from an injury and Farragher isn't long with the panel. You'd want to get a grip.

I'm sure they're fit enough for more than 5 mins. I'd play that myself. Think it's yourself that needs to get a grip.

threeball wrote:
    I'm sure they're fit enough for more than 5 mins. I'd play that myself. Think it's yourself that needs to get a grip.

I'm sure they are fit enough for more. But again. They have both not been training for different reasons. Lads training are usually picked ahead of lads not training. If there performance in training justifies starting positions/coming on earlier I'm sure KW will give them there chance. Plenty of Galway players seemed to have become superstars the less they play. And KW seems to be able to do no right no matter what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

Nobody made a fuss.

I was the only one who questioned him and a lot of the points talked about playing Sligo etc.

We wont win an AI against Sligo nor will the likes of Dublin kick balls out to midfield. To me that means theres very little point playing the opponents game in an earlier round.
    I don't question his ability to play against D2-D4 teams but in late summer when titles are on the line playing a traditional midfielder and kicking balls long is exactly what will see us knocked out.

Ya must be some crack on a night out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

Job done can play a lot better . June 16 a bit away yet . Will have to keep improving to beat mayo or ros . Disappointed for molloy hope it’s not to bad . Martin farragher put his hand up with the 5 mins he got

We wont win an AI against Sligo nor will the likes of Dublin kick balls out to midfield. To me that means theres very little point playing the opponents game in an earlier round. I don't question his ability to play against D2-D4 teams but in late summer when titles are on the line playing a traditional midfielder and kicking balls long is exactly what will see us knocked out.

Nobody made a fuss.

His all round play is what was impressive today. Not his fielding. He drove at Sligo more than any other player. Always looked to go forward and kicked a nice score. As you said Sligo is a poor team to base a performance on as they're so poor but I don't think FOC did a whole lot wrong.

I'm sure they are fit enough for more. But again. They have both not been training for different reasons. Lads training are usually picked ahead of lads not training. If there performance in training justifies starting positions/coming on earlier I'm sure KW will give them there chance. Plenty of Galway players seemed to have become superstars the less they play. And KW seems to be able to do no right no matter what he does.

That makes no sense. If they're not ready to come into a game then don't bring them in. If they are then give them decent time if you want to see what they're made off. You can't play both sides of the fence. If they haven't enough time with the panel don't play them at all. There's plenty that have. 5 mins is bs for any player. Farragher hasn't put a foot wrong in two all Ireland finals in a row, I'm sure he could handle 20 mins against a sligo team his club would likely beat.

If this was the case no one would ever be brought on with 5mins to go. It's part and parcel of the game. He scored 1-1 when he came on and I actually think if Comer isn't fit for the Connacht Final Farragher will now start. So I've a feeling he won't be doing much complaining about his ten minutes.

• Advertisement

If this was the case no one would ever be brought on with 5mins to go. It's part and parcel of the game. He scored 1-1 when he came on and I actually think if Comer isn't fit for the Connacht Final Farragher will now start. So I've a feeling he won't be doing much complaining about his ten minutes.

I heard comer had a set back so won't be fit. I'd have farragher before him anyway as there's more scores in Farragher.

threeball wrote:
    I heard comer had a set back so won't be fit. I'd have farragher before him anyway as there's more scores in Farragher.

Comer and Conroy looked in good shape out on the pitch today before the match. Both moving freely and involved in some of the drills. Obviously Molloy is a blow but it would be nice to have close to a full panel sooner rather than later.

Comer and Conroy looked in good shape out on the pitch today before the match. Both moving freely and involved in some of the drills. Obviously Molloy is a blow but it would be nice to have close to a full panel sooner rather than later.

Molloy must be a dislocation rather than a break. He wouldn't have sat on the bench with a break.

threeball wrote:
    Molloy must be a dislocation rather than a break. He wouldn't have sat on the bench with a break.

Hopefully. The lad deserves a break when it comes to playing for Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Thought Liam Silke was absolutely fantastic. His class in attack shows us that we're missing that counter-attack quality where somebody like Kerin gives ball away needlessly on the opposition 45. I thought it would've been between Silke and FOC for MOTM. That point from the latter was as sweet a shot as you'll see. Was like watching the FOC that marauds up the pitch for the Breathnaigh.

Not really an awful lot to take from the match bar Molloy's arm being slinged up in his jersey which is never a good sign even if it's precautionary.

Sligo were poor enough but Pat Hughes caused a lot of hassle in the second half when we allowed him too much space. Have no idea why they replaced him with Marren who looked past it.

Lot of work to do because Roscommon or Mayo will be a big step-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That was alright I suppose. Sligo were very poor and only really interested in fouling and niggly stuff. It's unlike them and disappointing. Thought Paul Taylor was classier than that. They kept the sweepers until the bitter end so were told to keep the score down.

Galway backs were quite good. SAC had a couple of very good moments despite sending off. Silke obviously superb. Of any team in the country, we've probably had the single biggest addition over last year with him. One of our best players easily. Molloy injury disappoting. John Daly was very good and Bradshaw very tough in possession.

Forwards were poor. No focal point without Comer. Burke needs to understand he's there for scoring as well as flash assists. I wish Walsh would be more clinical and take his score once he beats his man. Always takes a second turn. Daly was poor shooting but is usually good, will let him off.

FOC close to motm. Looked very light on his feet, good going forward but also excellent tackling, as well a fielded a few. Has gone from afterthought to half a chance of starting the Connacht final. Fair fcuks to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

threeball wrote: »

Jesus Christ. Comers been comfortably our best player for years and averages about 3 from play a game as well as drawing countless frees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    FOC close to motm. Looked very light on his feet, good going forward but also excellent tackling, as well a fielded a few. Has gone from afterthought to half a chance of starting the Connacht final. Fair fcuks to him

That would be some story to be fair.

Always felt he got a raw deal from some. Sure he's not the most glamorous or easy on the eye type player, but he puts in an effective shift

Great lesson to anyone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was alright I suppose. Sligo were very poor and only really interested in fouling and niggly stuff. It's unlike them and disappointing. Thought Paul Taylor was classier than that. They kept the sweepers until the bitter end so were told to keep the score down.

I take it you were disappointed to see the same pulling and dragging antics from the Galway defenders too?

After Sligo let Galway stroll through the their defence time and time again last year I was happy to see a bit of aggression from them and at least make Galway work for their scores.

Sligo have had three different managers the last three years and a fair amount of turnover in players in that time so it's hard to gauge too much from that match.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ. Comers been comfortably our best player for years and averages about 3 from play a game as well as drawing countless frees

Shane Walsh was far superior to Comer last year. Comer takes too much out of the ball. If he played the target man and fed those around him he'd be unstoppable and make more room for himself. Unfortunately his default is to take it down and charge at goal. Once the defenders know that's what's going to happen he gets swallowed up. He needs to vary his game for his own sake and the team.

Advertisement