Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

spurshero wrote: »
    I think if canning plays another 2 years that will be max . That will bring him to nearly 33 and with the amount of hurling and punishment he has taken be amazed if he’s still playing inter county in 3 seasons time . He said himself last year that once you turn 30 it really is year on year and see how body is come Jan time

Yeah I think Joe will play next year and maybe the year after that but talk of him playing another 6 or 7 years is extremely fanciful.

If Galway crash out badly this year you are really looking at a rebuilding process over the next few years and is Joe going to hang around for that? Maybe for a year or two but not long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Two wins on the bounce for PJ's U-20's. Another Silke starring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭threeball

Tough one today. Many heading down?

I think Kk will target Flynn today, get him off his game, lose confidence, start missing frees and it will be a big ask to win at that stage regardless of how well we might play.

We need to do the same with Reid but he's far less likely to drop the head even if out of the game. I'd expect to see P Mannion on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

threeball wrote: »
    Tough one today. Many heading down?

I think Kk will target Flynn today, get him off his game, lose confidence, start missing frees and it will be a big ask to win at that stage regardless of how well we might play.

We need to do the same with Reid but he's far less likely to drop the head even if out of the game. I'd expect to see P Mannion on him.

Not traveling but will be in Dublin next week all going well . Really need a performance today and I’m hopeful more then confident

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭basillarkin

dont understand all the gra for kilkenny, fully expect galway to come out with the win today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

dont understand all the gra for kilkenny, fully expect galway to come out with the win today.

I don't at all. Something about the black and amber puts the chills in Galway people I guess. The fact is that Galway are not hurling well as a team and I don't think the management are performing well either. Other teams have figured us out too. The glory days in 2017 of shooting 0-26 from way out the field are over. Cody has had plenty of time to devise tactics to beat us.

I dont think KK have moved on from last year at all but we have gone backwards so far. Until i see a performance today i wouldnt put too much faith in it happening. I think the decisions on the line last year and this have been poor too, so Cody would have the edge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I thought Conor Cooney not starting was a bit harsh. Since he's not on the bench I'm guessing he's injured. Saw himself and JC walking up into the stand together. Great Galway support here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Expecting a big game from Galway.they usually produce a big result against the cats.best of luck to them

I thought Conor Cooney not starting was a bit harsh. Since he's not on the bench I'm guessing he's injured. Saw himself and JC walking up into the stand together. Great Galway support here.

Be very harsh to drop him completely. Don't like Glynn on Tommy Walsh. Glynn won't follow him when he takes off and Walsh is quite good on high ball either catching or spoiling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Was confident before the game but not on what I've seen so far. Missing too much. Loftus not at it at all

Sloppy and error ridden again.

If Mannion wasnt out there we'd be a shambles. Glynn and a few others had half a half but Mannions the only thing keeping us afloat.

MoD yet again letting a free taker keep hitting wides and stay on them, that's three games running now it should have been pulled after the 2nd or 3rd.

Sloppy and error ridden again.

If Mannion wasnt out there we'd be a shambles. Glynn and a few others had half a half but Mannions the only thing keeping us afloat.

MoD yet again letting a free taker keep hitting wides and stay on them, that's three games running now it should have been pulled after the 2nd or 3rd.

Cathal Mannion dosent deserve to be on the losing team . Exhibition stuff . Canning hugely missed as Flynn poor from frees . Massive second half coming up . Hon Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Flynn needs to come off frees. Can’t be missing three already.

Who would you like to take them?

Who would you like to take them?

Well I'm not taking the training so it's hard for me to say isnt it?.
    Off hand I'd have thought Mannion, Whelan could do no worse than miss about 50%.

Why don't you ask the lad above me who he wants?.
    Some of ye would want to grow up around here with the pettiness.
    Why don't you tell me why he should keep taking them instead of adding nothing but throwing a pretty reply back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Cathal mannion has been brilliant so far - he should stay in midfield altogether. Can't see loftus lasting much longer - he's been anonymous tbh.

Whelan has the beating of the Kilkenny full back line - the key now against the wind is to run the ball.

macslash wrote: »
    Was confident before the game but not on what I've seen so far. Missing too much. Loftus not at it at all

What?? Far better than I was expecting. Apart from flynns frees we should be 7 or 8 up.

Fux sake. Take the man off the frees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

We are coughing up so many handy scores to Kilkenny who don't even have to earn them like we are.

Only asked a simple question. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

Ref evening things up

Limped home.

When did we last hold a big lead and not get reeled in?.

Cant see us winning the AI after that, we're consistently inconsistent again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

threeball wrote: »
    What?? Far better than I was expecting. Apart from flynns frees we should be 7 or 8 up.

At the time of posting we'd fallen apart a bit and Kk were first to everything.
    Great win in the end. On to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

For all the criticism of Galway hurling and management they have lost one game in two and a half seasons, an All Ireland final by one point.

Lots of excellent performances today, some unusual errors from Pádraig Mannion and others kept Kilkenny in it. Plenty to give optimism, forwards were quality. David Burke’s best performance since All Ireland final, big game player. Canning back and Galway will take some stopping.

Limped home.

When did we last hold a big lead and not get reeled in?.

Cant see us winning the AI after that, we're consistently inconsistent again.

Can ya not just be happy for once . We’re after winning a thriller scoring 3 .17 from play away to kk . Plenty to work on but a great win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Great result despite the mistakes - could be the making of them imo.

The forwards played well - the backs would need to up it the next day

Great to get out with a win. Plenty to work on. Galway were 7/4 to win that game and going into Nolan Park was always going to be a tough ask. But once again they dug in and refuse to be beaten. Character of this team is unreal. Plenty to work on which is always the way you want it coming out of a game.

• Advertisement

Plenty to work on but some great performances . cathal Mannion excellent whelan Brian conncannon done well even tuohy was unlucky to be taken off David Burke’s best game in a while Johnny coen done very well when he came on . Need to tighten up at the back but we look in a lot better position today then after Wexford match .

Advertisement