Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

leestone wrote: »
    The better team but nearly lost it.

Not sure how you could come to that conclusion, there was certainly no evidence of it based on yesterday's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Glynn will need to knock off the jet lag fairly quickly.
    Is he commuting back and forth again this year for champo.?

Glynn was actually decent enough after he came on. Looks in good enough condition too. Joseph Cooney definitely enjoyed Australia though. He was bet into his shorts. I'd say he's a month away from being able to last a full 70 minutes of championship hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

A lot of hurling to be played yet.

This time last year, Limerick the eventual champs lost to Clare by 11 points.

If we can get to an All Ireland semi with King Joe back and the recent returnees fit, we can beat any team.

Need to scrape out of Leinster first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

A couple of posts noted attacking the poster as opposed to the post.

Can we please keep posts civil or sanctions will be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭threeball

Think the footballers will have it all to do against Roscommon. They seem to have mimicked our defensive system but managed to add attacking pace all in the space of 6 months. We've been pricking about with the same system for 4 years and still move like a glacier from defence.

Has Cunningham put his hand up for a run at the football management job here or is there too much bad blood after the hurling coup. If he wins a connaught title he'd have to be at least considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭vid36

I think we can take them but it will be difficult. Mayo handed them two presents in the first half and had no freetaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It does look a bit worrying. We had a pedestrian enough league. When you compare the disdain we treated Kilkenny and Wexford themselves with in the round robin games last year, we don't look anywhere near that level at this point. Burke on frees does strike me as strange. Flynns been considered so good that he took them over Canning on occasion before, would've thought he'd be the natural taker now. David Burke and Coen both look shadows of themselves at the moment. Positive would be Whelan showing some spark again and thought Johnny Glynn made a big difference when introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It does look a bit worrying. We had a pedestrian enough league. When you compare the disdain we treated Kilkenny and Wexford themselves with in the round robin games last year, we don't look anywhere near that level at this point. Burke on frees does strike me as strange. Flynns been considered so good that he took them over Canning on occasion before, would've thought he'd be the natural taker now. David Burke and Coen both look shadows of themselves at the moment. Positive would be Whelan showing some spark again and thought Johnny Glynn made a big difference when introduced

Really surprised David Burke was left on...very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

to be honest, there is some really poor management at play. Firstly, Jason Flynn had a stormer against offaly on the frees in the league and everyone around me was shocked to see niall burke taking them against Carlow and then was left on them well into the second half against wexford. If flynn had taken them from the start of the Carlow game, we would have 4 points now.
    Management loyalty to some players is really affecting the team. C. Mannion was averaging 3-4 points a game at midfield but was moved out to 10 for coen and mannion wasn't near as effective at 10 and coen hasn't hurled well in over a year. David burke and conor cooney's legs are gone and aren't able for a full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Really surprised David Burke was left on...very poor

Should be on the bench going forward. Not up to it anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Id stick mannion and glennon midfield glennon has speed to burn wen going forward midfield would have suited mannion 1st half hed pop them over from anywhere surely evan niland is due a run...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think it's important to bear in mind that David Burke (and Conor Cooney to a lesser degree thanks to injury) has not had a decent period of rest from the game since probably the back end of 2016 given how well Thomas's & Galway have gone since then.

Unfortunately too many lads look comfortable in their positions and the team is largely unchanged from the 2017 winning team. Those great Kilkenny teams of the 2000s always had 1/2 new lads coming in each year which kept lads sharp.

Management needs to have a look at itself too given the persistence with trying to find Glynn from the puck out when it clearly wasn't working, I think 5 or more puck outs in a row were lost trying to force it to him when Wexford had figured it out. To keep doing it after maybe 3 failed attempts in a row is negligent.

It'll be tough, but its not necessarily a bad thing to be coming into Nowlan Park as underdogs, I think this team has a big game or 2 in them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Dickie9 wrote: »
    Id stick mannion and glennon midfield glennon has speed to burn wen going forward midfield would have suited mannion 1st half hed pop them over from anywhere surely evan niland is due a run...

I'm not sure would that be a good combination tbh - which one of them would be the defending midfielder? Cathal mannion is more of an offensive player and I'm not sure would Glennon have the defensive instinct to play the holding role.

Maybe Glennon could be a third midfielder with mannion and, say, loftus. Glennon named at 15 (or loftus for that matter like when he played minor) but not too stay in there.

Have Conor Cooney and Whelan as a two man full forward line with Glynn, Flynn and Joseph Cooney as the half forward line atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Big week ahead for Galway hurlers, the Cats game could make or break the season

I have to say I find kk being bookies favourites a bit odd however. A lot of talk about Galway misfiring but in all honesty Kilkenny haven't put in a top championship performance since the Leinster final 3 years ago. I suspect their name alone leads to this current crop being overestimated

There's nothing like adversity to bring out the best in a good team. I think the two weeks off will really stand to Galway and will do wonders for Johnny Glynn, daithi and Joe Cooney who are all key players. I expect mannion will drop back to midfield again. The good thing is they simply can't play as bad again overall

That said KK never go down easy and tenacity alone has played a big part in grinding out matches in recent years for them.

jr86 wrote: »
    Big week ahead for Galway hurlers, the Cats game could make or break the season

I have to say I find kk being bookies favourites a bit odd however. A lot of talk about Galway misfiring but in all honesty Kilkenny haven't put in a top championship performance since the Leinster final 3 years ago. I suspect their name alone leads to this current crop being overestimated

There's nothing like adversity to bring out the best in a good team. I think the two weeks off will really stand to Galway and will do wonders for Johnny Glynn, daithi and Joe Cooney who are all key players. I expect mannion will drop back to midfield again. The good thing is they simply can't play as bad again overall

That said KK never go down easy and tenacity alone has played a big part in grinding out matches in recent years for them.

We showed patches of good play the last day but inexplicably turned around on the next play and did the opposite. The main worry is we don't know who we should be playing in the middle sector. Taking Mannion out of there last week was a mistake. We Should go with him and either Burke, Coen or maybe even glennon there.

Flynn on frees, Burke, glynn and Flynn in the half forward line with Whelan, Cooney and possibly concannon inside. Cooney and glynn should switch every few plays. Kk are weak at full back and we should target that. They got talked up after the Dublin game but Dublin rolled over for KK like they normally do. There was nothing in that game to suggest KK are any better than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Glynn & Cooney at 11 & 14 with license to switch and lump it down on top of them. Won't be pretty but it'll get goals and goals beat Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Does anyone know if the Dublin vs Galway hurling match will be televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Mars Bar wrote: »

At the moment the Sky Sports schedule indicates that they'll show both games live simultaneously that evening. Whether they will remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    A lot of hurling to be played yet.

This time last year, Limerick the eventual champs lost to Clare by 11 points.

If we can get to an All Ireland semi with King Joe back and the recent returnees fit, we can beat any team.

Need to scrape out of Leinster first.

Can they beat tipp or Cork or kk if they meet them later on.

Mars Bar wrote: »

It's on Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/decision-on-canning-so-crucial-as-galway-holding-out-for-a-hero-928789.html

Odd one. Wouldn't have thought there's any chance Canning is back this quick but he must have some reason to speculate it

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/decision-on-canning-so-crucial-as-galway-holding-out-for-a-hero-928789.html

Odd one. Wouldn't have thought there's any chance Canning is back this quick but he must have some reason to speculate it

I wouldn't chance him. See how we go against KK and maybe have him as a sub against Dublin. If this team can't get a result against KK without him they're heading nowhere fast anyway. Bring him back early to beat KK and possibly lose him for the rest of the year anyway.

They need to show they can survive without him. The man has only a year or two left to play and then where will we be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

threeball wrote: »
    The man has only a year or two left to play and then where will we be?

I'd say there's years left in JC yet

Hopefully but he's been senior hurling since very young. Maybe he might just have enough. You never know. He's had a few tough injuries lately too.

Either way Galway hurling needs to prove they can survive without JC there won't be another one coming any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    I wouldn't chance him. See how we go against KK and maybe have him as a sub against Dublin. If this team can't get a result against KK without him they're heading nowhere fast anyway. Bring him back early to beat KK and possibly lose him for the rest of the year anyway.

They need to show they can survive without him. The man has only a year or two left to play and then where will we be?

I wouldn't chance him either, save if it's close with 3-4 minutes remaining and the result is in the balance. Hopefully bigger tests to come. They could always swap out one of the 18-26 jerseys for him on Sunday anyway if necessary I'd say, rather than having to name him tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Even if Galway win on Sunday they will still have to beat Dublin to guarantee their place in the championship. That game is far more important in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Very much doubt that, he is the wrong side of 30 and has been the focal point of both Club and County for over 12 years - won a county senior final 14 years ago!, the age profile of intercounty hurlers is changing and Joe is likely to pick up injuries more frequently.

Pogue eile wrote: »

Very much doubt that, he is the wrong side of 30 and has been the focal point of both Club and County for over 12 years - won a county senior final 14 years ago!, the age profile of intercounty hurlers is changing and Joe is likely to pick up injuries more frequently.

The question is probably more "How long does he want to play?".
    Like Ronaldo he'll be good enough to play until his 40s.

It wont be a case where he's pushed out. Due to his style of play, he doesn't rely on pace so could play another 7/8 years with ease.
    The question is how many does he want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

I think if canning plays another 2 years that will be max . That will bring him to nearly 33 and with the amount of hurling and punishment he has taken be amazed if he’s still playing inter county in 3 seasons time . He said himself last year that once you turn 30 it really is year on year and see how body is come Jan time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Robson99

Depends on whether mgmt use or abuse him. Think he needs to be utilised much more in the full forward line

Advertisement