Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭threeball

Had a lot to do with how poorly he was marked by Sean Andy. The main forward that Galway need to stop his influence is Cillian O'Connor.

Silke can hold O Connor, he's done it against Ballintubber in the past but I agree half the problem the last day was Sean Andy who's just not a good footballer. Mulkerrin is much better but Sean Kelly is top notch.

Will we score enough the other end though? Can't expect Shane Walsh to kick 10pts and the rest will struggle to get two a piece. We played our first games in the league with a blitzkrieg style counterattack but we don't have the pace in that team to carry it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Who is definitely ruled out? Just Comer?
    What's the craic with Steede? Had made mf his own earlier on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

macslash wrote: »
    Who is definitely ruled out? Just Comer?
    What's the craic with Steede? Had made mf his own earlier on

Taken from GFH;

Galway manager Padraic Joyce acknowledges that he is dealing with injuries ahead of the Connacht Football Final against Mayo.

Annaghdown’s Damien Comer will miss Sunday’s Connacht SFC final, with a hamstring injury picked up in the league meeting with Mayo back in October.

Eamonn Brannigan, Adrian Varley and Ronan Steede are other concerns but Joyce says it gives others in the squad a chance to claim their spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mjp

I would say comer will be a late addition to no 26 and will be thrown in with 15 mins to go if behind. Not going to be anywhere near match fit but season over if loose and nothing to loose there. Mightn't be a sensible decision but the threats in forwards arent that strong and an 80%fit comer will occupy two of the mayo backs and create space and opportunities for others around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

threeball wrote:
    Will we score enough the other end though? Can't expect Shane Walsh to kick 10pts and the rest will struggle to get two a piece. We played our first games in the league with a blitzkrieg style counterattack but we don't have the pace in that team to carry it out.

Seems like a lifetime time ago we played Kerry in the league and trudging out of Austin Stack Park having been robbed in a game Galway should of won but with a sense of confidence things were falling into place. Sean Kelly back from injury came on for Johnny Duane early in the first half to quell the Kerry full forward line and that's all she wrote. Kelly has gone from strength to strength since. Having dealt with Murphy and Donegal in matches since I expect him to go toe to toe with AOS.

Add in the steadying and influential John Daly at 6, newly positioned Comer at 11 and Shane Walsh flying at 14 and maybe a lesser extent Ronan Steede and his eye for a score at midfield. Donegal, Meath and Tyrone that followed kept momentum going.

All change now. Goalie issues. Kickout issues. Full back line is still steady enough if it's Kelly Mullkerin and maybe Silke the next day. Half back line looks all at sea since Daly was injured. Wouldn't suprise me to see PJ revert to O Donnell, Bradshaw and Heaney. Flynn is a certainty but seems to be picking up niggles now on a regular basis. Depending on the fitness of Steede it's probably D'Arcy.

Half forward line looks light without Comer. Leonard has played two games I didn't think he has done much in but yet he's played the full game in both. Must of being doing enough off the ball on a defensive nature to impress. PC will likely play centre forward. Other positions seem a toss up between an out of favour Brannigan and a frustrating Mike Daly. Be risky to go for a Paul Kelly/Matthew Tierney but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Shane Walsh and Varley if fit start in the full forward line. Ian Burke and Finnerty for the other spot if PJ goes for the traditional 3 up top. Might name PC at 15 and drop him out to bolster the middle section.

Lot less sure of things now than back in February. Mayo on the other hand seemed to have stumbled onto a team. Hopefully PJ influence, Pearse Stadium and the hammering a few weeks ago have put a spike in the air that Galway come ready for a battle. Get to the first water break in a steady shape and push on from there.

• Advertisement

Seems like a lifetime time ago we played Kerry in the league and trudging out of Austin Stack Park having been robbed in a game Galway should of won but with a sense of confidence things were falling into place. Sean Kelly back from injury came on for Johnny Duane early in the first half to quell the Kerry full forward line and that's all she wrote. Kelly has gone from strength to strength since. Having dealt with Murphy and Donegal in matches since I expect him to go toe to toe with AOS.

Add in the steadying and influential John Daly at 6, newly positioned Comer at 11 and Shane Walsh flying at 14 and maybe a lesser extent Ronan Steede and his eye for a score at midfield. Donegal, Meath and Tyrone that followed kept momentum going.

All change now. Goalie issues. Kickout issues. Full back line is still steady enough if it's Kelly Mullkerin and maybe Silke the next day. Half back line looks all at sea since Daly was injured. Wouldn't suprise me to see PJ revert to O Donnell, Bradshaw and Heaney. Flynn is a certainty but seems to be picking up niggles now on a regular basis. Depending on the fitness of Steede it's probably D'Arcy.

Half forward line looks light without Comer. Leonard has played two games I didn't think he has done much in but yet he's played the full game in both. Must of being doing enough off the ball on a defensive nature to impress. PC will likely play centre forward. Other positions seem a toss up between an out of favour Brannigan and a frustrating Mike Daly. Be risky to go for a Paul Kelly/Matthew Tierney but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Shane Walsh and Varley if fit start in the full forward line. Ian Burke and Finnerty for the other spot if PJ goes for the traditional 3 up top. Might name PC at 15 and drop him out to bolster the middle section.

Lot less sure of things now than back in February. Mayo on the other hand seemed to have stumbled onto a team. Hopefully PJ influence, Pearse Stadium and the hammering a few weeks ago have put a spike in the air that Galway come ready for a battle. Get to the first water break in a steady shape and push on from there.

Shane going FF will mean he drops to midfield to carry ball on the counter leaving Finnerty and Burke inside. Theres very few scores there and little goal threat.

Like you mention, I think we'll struggle in the HB line and I think we'll struggle for scores. Add in lack of game time and I dont expect a win this weekend. A year that started with a roar could go out with a whimper. If you were to win an AI this is probably the one you don't want but progression would be a big thing. I hope we go toe to toe at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Good analysis, but a bit unfair to conclude that Mayo stumbled onto a team.
    How is it any different than any other team coming across decent new players to bring into the mix.
    There's a lot riding on the performances of Conroy and Walsh on Sunday. From a Mayo perspective, we would hope that Mayo management spend a lot of hours this week coming up with the best possible plan to curb their influence. If that is successful, it's hard to see who else will take the challenge to Mayo. But that's a big if. Both players have that extra quality. Conroy reminds me of Michael Murphy. Doesn't matter how much "attention" he gets from the opposition, he can still have a strong influence on the game.

Maybe not stumbled but I definitely don't think this is the Mayo team Galway would of faced back in May before Covid. The younger players for Mayo seemed to of added a freshness and energy to the set up. Hard to believe back in May Higgins, Boyle Parsons wouldn't be playing. Then again maybe they still will. Just think Mayo despite being relegated have re emerged from the Lockdown better than Galway.

Brian Cody has made four changes to the side that defeated Dublin in the Leinster semi-final for Saturday's provincial decider against Galway in Croke Park.

Tommy Walsh is named at corner-back replacing Ciaran Wallace while Conor Fogarty is named at wing back with Paddy Deegan not included in the squad for the final.

Cody has gone for a new look midfield pairing of Richie Leahy and Conor Browne as Richie Reid missed out while Martin Keoghan comes in for Billy Ryan and will line out at centre-forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Dessie gets his chance!

B Power
    S Kelly
    S Ó Maolchiaráin
    J Heaney
    L Silke
    J Duane
    C McDaid
    C D’Arcy
    T Flynn
    P Kelly
    P Conroy
    M Daly
    I Burke
    S Walsh
    D Conneely

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Brian Cody has made four changes to the side that defeated Dublin in the Leinster semi-final for Saturday's provincial decider against Galway in Croke Park.

Tommy Walsh is named at corner-back replacing Ciaran Wallace while Conor Fogarty is named at wing back with Paddy Deegan not included in the squad for the final.

Cody has gone for a new look midfield pairing of Richie Leahy and Conor Browne as Richie Reid missed out while Martin Keoghan comes in for Billy Ryan and will line out at centre-forward.

Any word on the Galway team yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Dessie gets his chance!

B Power
    S Kelly
    S Ó Maolchiaráin
    J Heaney
    L Silke
    J Duane
    C McDaid
    C D’Arcy
    T Flynn
    P Kelly
    P Conroy
    M Daly
    I Burke
    S Walsh
    D Conneely

All of a muchness. Can't see that HB line maybe starting and definitely not finishing; GOD in particular to come in. Wing forwards have enough to do. Hope it goes well for Conneely.

threeball wrote: »
    Any word on the Galway team yet?

The Galway team to face Kilkenny in the 2020 Leinster SHC final is expected to be announced at 8:30pm.

Hurling is a team of man mountains. Football is not what I expected to be honest. Big weekend.

DVDM93 wrote: »

Even stronger than the last day out. Daithi on TJ and I'd be surprised if either GMAC or Fintan don't pick up Fennelly. Tie them two down and KK are limited.

I'd like to see Whelan and Joe interchange a few times. Joe is a huge threat if he can drift inside with Conor coming short for the puck out.

Digital programme has the footballers down to name subs at a later time. Wonder will there be a Springer from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 maireadf

Can you direct me to the digital programme please .. I’d love to print out the teams for my Dad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

maireadf wrote: »
    Can you direct me to the digital programme please .. I’d love to print out the teams for my Dad

https://t.co/oDs75wNhNj?amp=1

Sorry the programme for the hurling this evening

• Advertisement

maireadf wrote: »
    Sorry , for the hurling this evening

I have the hurling & can screenshot the pages for you & send you the pics if you like?

Otherwise here is the link; https://www.dbapublications.ie/product/2020-leinster-gaa-hurling-senior-championship-final/

It's €3.

Sent you a pm thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

MfMan wrote: »
    All of a muchness. Can't see that HB line maybe starting and definitely not finishing; GOD in particular to come in. Wing forwards have enough to do. Hope it goes well for Conneely.

Did some poster mention Kieran Molloy had a poor club championship?

Any chance Gary Sice will start?

Should of said it before the game so I don't look biased but I hate Horgan as a ref.

Edit: majority of frees for Kilkenny have been deserved. But the disallowed goal and quite a few Galway defenders coming out haven't got their frees.

Should of said it before the game so I don't look biased but I hate Horgan as a ref.

Hes giving some very soft one in their direction. Have they scored 4 from play?

threeball wrote:
    Hes giving some very soft one in their direction. Have they scored 4 from play?

Reid 8 frees and they've four from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Cathal mannion seems a bit leisurely tbh. I thought he could have had a few more points by now tbh.

I still think kilkenny's full back line are dodgy. We're just not exploiting it.

Pull of the Galway Jersey would he see that. Would he f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

F**kn soft goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

F**kn soft goal

Another one now we're in trouble, far too pedestrian

Advertisement