Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Time not even up. Forget it. Move on to next week.

Why the first topic, at the first Congress, wasnt to have a stop clock like AFL/Rugby is beyond me.

There is no advantage to refs keeping the time and dictating when the game ends.

Thats the worst KK team in the last 20 years so that was beyond disappointing.

And Jason Flynns awful effort at goal proved the difference.
    I'd honestly just disperse with him as he seems to miss 3:4 goal chances, he was blessed we got the 65 as it wasnt even on target.

Limericks AI to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Cody has pissed in our cornflakes so often over the years but when we went man to man at the back with them Daithi and co. were absolutely destroyed.

Richie Hogan could be 65 years of age and still be the winning of the match off the bench against us.

Fully expecting to get Tipp next weekend. A lot of work needs to be done to have any shout of winning the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robert2014

What was the goalie at for the first goal? Playing with a sweeper and he's still a mile off his line. Gave up a soft goal which brought them into the game they were losing by 5 points. Also lucky not to concede a 3rd the same way. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭threeball

Threw that away. Soft frees to keep KK in the hunt, then 2 stupid goals and then to go so loose at the back from 60mins in was inexplicable after being so tight up to then. 16 wides to 6. Joe on song but up front he had little help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Robson99

Too many were Rubbish. And Wexford getting hockeyed earlier should have been a wake up call.
    Too many wides and no goal threat. We got lucky winning an all ireland final without scoring a goal. Flynn should have buried that and forwards had some terrible wides
    Now we could have Tipp next and IF we get over that POSDIBLY Limerick in a semi.
    Just not good enough nor physical enough

Robert2014 wrote:
    What was the goalie at for the first goal? Playing with a sweeper and he's still a mile off his line. Gave up a soft goal which brought them into the game they were losing by 5 points. Also lucky not to concede a 3rd the same way. Madness.

Still happy with Murphy. I know you look at the decision to come out a second time but to me it shows his conviction. Last thing we need is for him to go back in his shell. He plays on the front foot and is an excellent stickman. Not saying he doesn't need to learn from it but he played it his way. Whatever way we want to look at it things should of been dealt with before the goalie got involved. And to be fair the stick work of Hogan was exceptional. Second goal was more of a killer.

Don't care whether it's Clare or Tipp if Galway play they'll be hard beat. Daithi has a game under his belt and a few more issues need to be addressed. As Gilberto said I've no idea with Flynn. Second half of a league final against Tipp and a cameo in a All Ireland Final. He's disappointed too often. Niall Burke at least was putting himself about and diving into rucks. Hopefully calm heads and reassess the game correctly they can grind out a win next weekend.

Robert2014 wrote: »

Bigger issues than the goalie. Kk SHOULD have had 4 goals not 2. We were wide open in the last 20 mins

Still happy with Murphy. I know you look at the decision to come out a second time but to me it shows his conviction. Last thing we need is for him to go back in his shell. He plays on the front foot and is an excellent stickman. Not saying he doesn't need to learn from it but he played it his way. Whatever way we want to look at it things should of been dealt with before the goalie got involved. And to be fair the stick work of Hogan was exceptional. Second goal was more of a killer.

Don't care whether it's Clare or Tipp if Galway play they'll be hard beat. Daithi has a game under his belt and a few more issues need to be addressed. As Gilberto said I've no idea with Flynn. Second half of a league final against Tipp and a cameo in a All Ireland Final. He's disappointed too often. Niall Burke at least was putting himself about and diving into rucks. Hopefully calm heads and reassess the game correctly they can grind out a win next weekend.

Agree, Murphy not at fault there, he got an unlucky break of the ball off his knee and brings alot of other attributes to the table.

Can't understand why they pulled Niall Burke. Imo he was more effective than Whelsn tonight who had a really poor game especially by his standards. Flynn got a point but after skinning Lawlor that should have been buried and game put to bed. You need to shake off Kk before you hit 60mins or their self belief makes them dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Murphy isn't the problem and other than being well off his line for the Hogan goal, he shows more promise than most of our keepers since Donoghue.

Giving away soft frees, too few goals and lack of options on the bench are bigger issues. Jason Flynn too.

• Advertisement

I will be the most pedantic f**ker ever. Horgan blew up at 73.56 with 4 minutes additional time displayed. JC had the ball in hand at 73.54 and was bouncing off two defenders with no players behind the defenders. F**K ME. If the RTE clock is wrong fair enough. But it stinks.

Apologies lads I can't handle watching this s***e on TV. I'll be Currys best customer by the end of this year.

Murphy is a major positive this year.
    But players like Gearoid Mac, Conor Cooney, Jason Flynn and Niall Burke have not reached a 7 / 10 in any game they have played since the 17 final. And the are still starting. That's a big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

They still haven't found a replacement for taking the frees in place of Joe Canning which is absolutely inexcusable since we exited the championship quite early last summer, highlighting our dependance on him which should be addressed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Conor cooney must have conceded at least four scorable frees in the the first half. Constantly giving away stupid frees where there was no danger at all.

GalwayMark wrote:
    They still haven't found a replacement for taking the frees in place of Joe Canning which is absolutely inexcusable since we exited the championship quite early last summer, highlighting our dependance on him which should be addressed ASAP.

Galway don't lack for free takers? Is that your issue? Replacing Joe himself is impossible. But a freetaker? Galway have plenty. Niland wouldn't blink at a free. Rest of his game needs to improve. Tbh Flynn misses very little from frees. But that's not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Galway don't lack for free takers? Is that your issue? Replacing Joe himself is impossible. But a freetaker? Galway have plenty. Niland wouldn't blink at a free. Rest of his game needs to improve. Tbh Flynn misses very little from frees. But that's not the problem.

True but it needs to be addressed as he will only be playing for another year or two if we're lucky. Yeah the defending was poor and midfield needs fresh blood, forwards especially the likes of Sean Bleahane needs to come into his own along with Niland.

GalwayMark wrote: »
    True but it needs to be addressed as he will only be playing for another year or two if we're lucky. Yeah the defending was poor and midfield needs fresh blood, forwards especially the likes of Sean Bleahane needs to come into his own along with Niland.

There won't be an attacking player breaking through until Sean McDonagh is ready.

Maybe someone will pop up before then but nobody else has shown the potential thus far.
    Blehanes shooting is far too weak, obviously he could improve but it would be a late development at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Must be the only one here who thinks Jayo was an improvement on Niall. Scored a point, made a great goal chance and was stretching the KK defence in a way that Burke wasn't. No problem with Whelo either, worked like a dog and plagued the KK backs. FF line wasn't the problem really, it was the HF line where Cathal was largely anonymous, though he was probably dropping back anyway. FB line needs a fresh looking at I think also.

There won't be an attacking player breaking through until Sean McDonagh is ready.

Mcdonagh is the real deal. Funny enough he doesn't take the frees for M/M. But what I've seen of him he is a high 90% shooter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

What about Evan Niland?

Thought he would have got a chance in last 2 games, not for frees, but just to bring him on in general play.

• Advertisement

Mcdonagh is the real deal. Funny enough he doesn't take the frees for M/M. But what I've seen of him he is a high 90% shooter

I know the reference was to a free taker, but free takers are usually forwards and I was just saying he's the next forward who looks like game changer. I wasnt talking about him that sense, just in general.

Someone like Niland could go in as a free taker if JC left but we havent any talent coming through in that area to disrupt whats already there.

I know the reference was to a free taker, but free takers are usually forwards and I was just saying he's the next forward who looks like game changer. I wasnt talking about him that sense, just in general.

Totally agree. Seen Mcdonagh twice this year in junior for M/M he's well minded but he's a step above from general play.

Why would you replace the best free taker of all time for the sake of it. Theres plenty of free takers but no county in the country could replacing Canning on frees.

Last (albeit drunken) post. Draw Clare I think we will win and have a great shot at an All Ireland. Draw Tipp and maybe it's a step too far. I still think we'll win but to beat Kilkenny, Tipp and more than likely Limerick three weeks in a row would take a massive stroke of luck or performances out of the top drawer. After tonight with the footballers tomorrow and the draw Monday a stroke of luck would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Goalies puck outs were good until he started lamping them down ontop of the Kilkenny backs. He was at fault for that first goal. What us it with Galway teams that they give up at least one calamity goal a game in important matches and never have a top class shot stopper. Galway had their foot on Kilkennys neck and didn't have the instinct to press down. Thats Galway hurling in a nutshell. Tipp in the same position would have beaten Kilkenny by 10.
    Whelan was greedy tonight. Missed a few bad wides aswell. Flynns goal chance was an awful miss and Canning missed a few easy ones. The fouling in the first half was atrocious. Im not sure the Galway players have the brains to recover and become ruthless. Its just not in their nature.

BloodyBill wrote:
    Goalies puck outs were good until he started lamping them down ontop of the Kilkenny backs. He was at fault for that first goal. What us it with Galway teams that they give up at least one calamity goal a game in important matches and never have a top class shot stopper. Galway had their foot on Kilkennys neck and didn't have the instinct to press down. Thats Galway hurling in a nutshell. Tipp in the same position would have beaten Kilkenny by 10. Whelan was greedy tonight. Missed a few bad wides aswell. Flynns goal chance was an awful miss and Canning missed a few easy ones. The fouling in the first half was atrocious. Im not sure the Galway players have the brains to recover and become ruthless. Its just not in their nature.

Majority of same players won an All Ireland. It is what it is. This team doesn't get beaten often. Not sure "brains" have a lot to do with it.

Majority of same players won an All Ireland. It is what it is. This team doesn't get beaten often. Not sure "brains" have a lot to do with it.

We're an inferior race to the Cork boys don't you know. More brains and balls than the rest of us put together... oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Has it been determined that croker will stage the quarter finals next weekend?

Disappointed tonight. 16 wides to 6 tells it's own story too but at least we are still in it.

threeball wrote:
    We're an inferior race to the Cork boys don't you know. More brains and balls than the rest of us put together... oh wait.

I needed that.

• Advertisement

donnem33 wrote:
    Disappointed tonight. 16 wides to 6 tells it's own story too but at least we are still in it.

donnem33 wrote:
    Has it been determined that croker will stage the quarter finals next weekend?

Be lucky to play again in Croker next weeknd. Tipp or Clare I'm guessing Limerick is odds on.

Advertisement