Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Can we afford to play Daithi further out than 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

I don't think we can. A better team would have scored at least two tonight. Plus we don't need him further out. We have lads crawling over one another for those positions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

:)

Hes less effective the further out you put him. He cant shoot and wouldnt be the slickest hurler.

No point moving the best full back in the country, the aim is to fill the best players into the best position.

Hes less effective the further out you put him. He cant shoot and wouldnt be the slickest hurler.

No point moving the best full back in the country, the aim is to fill the best players into the best position.

Thought he's club performances for Turlough this year at midfield was phenomenal. Solid runner, solid scorer and a goal he set up against Sarsfields I'm not sure not many could of assisted with his stick work. IMO he's a three for Galway because we had no option at three. I've seen him destroy Joe Canning and Joseph Cooney as a six in recent years. Can never take away from his performances as our three but options are there (if Fintan Burke has a bad injury this may all be pointless)

• Advertisement

Thought he's club performances for Turlough this year at midfield was phenomenal. Solid runner, solid scorer and a goal he set up against Sarsfields I'm not sure not many could of assisted with his stick work. IMO he's a three for Galway because we had no option at three. I've seen him destroy Joe Canning and Joseph Cooney as a six in recent years. Can never take away from his performances as our three but options are there (if Fintan Burke has a bad injury this may all be pointless)

Daithi can do it all. He has the touch, stickwork you name it so any talk of him not being good enough is nonsense. Fintan did well at FB tonight but we still coughed up 3 goal chances which should have been taken. I dont think that happens with Daithi at FB. Burke to the wing and J Cooney to half forward instead of Conor Cooney. Maybe conor to the Corner instead of Flynn.

threeball wrote:
    Daithi can do it all. He has the touch, stickwork you name it so any talk of him not being good enough is nonsense. Fintan did well at FB tonight but we still coughed up 3 goal chances which should have been taken. I dont think that happens with Daithi at FB. Burke to the wing and J Cooney to half forward instead of Conor Cooney. Maybe conor to the Corner instead of Flynn.

Probably most sensible. Nice to see a few options tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

threeball wrote: »
    Daithi can do it all. He has the touch, stickwork you name it't so any talk of him not being good enough is nonsense. Fintan did well at FB tonight but we still coughed up 3 goal chances which should have been taken. I dont think that happens with Daithi at FB. Burke to the wing and J Cooney to half forward instead of Conor Cooney. Maybe conor to the Corner instead of Flynn.
    Fintan wasn't at FB, GMAC went in there at throw in.

threeball wrote:

meriwether wrote:

And thought he did great after a shakey start. Fintan moved back to the FB line with Harte moving out and again was excellent. Fintan is a natural FB and GMAC has started every game at FB so far. Obviously because Daithi hasn't been available up to now. But they are viable options.

And thought he did great after a shakey start. Fintan moved back to the FB line with Harte moving out and again was excellent. Fintan is a natural FB and GMAC has started every game at FB so far. Obviously because Daithi hasn't been available up to now. But they are viable options.

So was the actual back line

Loftus - GMAC - Fintan

Mannion - S Cooney - Harte?

• Advertisement

So fecking hard on TV to tell who was where. But Harte seemed to do a lot more hurling out the field and Fintan in the full back line in the second half. At one stage I thought Shane Cooney was playing sweeper. It seemed to me Harte and Burke had switched simply because where they were doing most of their hurling. Could of been the case that's where their men brought them.

Edit: Also P Mannion was playing midfield. Think the half back line was Joseph Cooney, Shane Cooney, Harte/Fintan Burke

Forgot about Joe Cooney.

meriwether wrote: »

Hard to tell on TV but GMac isn't a FB either, he's a little bit too slow on the turn and can get burned for pace over 10 yards. Better to send him back to no.6 where he belongs. Good to have the options but we need to line out in our strongest positions where possible

meriwether wrote: »
    So was the actual back line

Loftus - GMAC - Fintan

Mannion - S Cooney - Harte?

Both Mannions were midfield together for a period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Robson99

threeball wrote: »
    Both Mannions were midfield together for a period.

Yes and they both should be there for the rest of the championship.
    Good start today but Wexford were rubbish

Robson99 wrote: »
    Yes and they both should be there for the rest of the championship.
    Good start today but Wexford were rubbish

So do you go with a HB line of Fintan, GMac and Harte? I think Joe Cooney has to go to the HF line

threeball wrote:
    So do you go with a HB line of Fintan, GMac and Harte? I think Joe Cooney has to go to the HF line

It's hard to know where SON goes but he has a good problems to solve.

Murphy starts the next day in goals that's a given.

Full back line is not straight forward. SON was excellent today as he picked ball playing sweepers in Loftus and Harte. Unlikely they get this freedom against Kilkenny. More traditional markers in Brennan (had a good 'league) and Darren Morrissey are available. Hopefully Fintan Burke and Daithi add to this.

Half back line. Shane Cooney had a great game. Broke up play and used the ball very well. Joseph Cooney was solid without being stand out. Fintan Burke played well. Hopefully injury not bad. Harte a few bad balls aside played well. SON has to decide on TJ for Kilkenny. Despite Galway playing well last year to beat Kilkenny TJ caused havoc. With GMAC improving at 3 there is scope to continue and put a fit Daithi at 6 to mark TJ. Otherwise personally I would put Joseph Cooney on him. He's their main threat and needs to be nullified.

Padraig Mannion and Johnny Coen did ok at midfield. Maybe better than ok as it's hard to tell on TV. But squeezing the middle third sucks the life out of Wexford and that seemed to happen today. David Burke will put pressure on everyone from 5 to 12 for a starting spot.

Half forward line was hard to judge. JC and Conor Cooney were quiet first half. JC popped up with a few big catches and moments in the second half. Conor Cooney popped up a lot in the second half especially in defensive positions. Worked immensely hard which can't be understated. Like most I would like to see more on the offensive side. But work rate is work rate. Cathal Mannion as a third midfielder half forward played his usual. Maybe not his best but oozes class.

Conor Whelan. Unreal. Simply unstoppable. Tactic to drop Cathal Mannion to midfield and Whelan to half forward worked great. Again because of the way Wexford set up. Would love to see him in the full forward line.

Concannon was brilliant. Scoring effort in first half. Massive work rate in the second dropping back to our own half back line to help out. Has stepped up.

Jason Flynn some flashes. But still the same. Lively but inconsistent. Whelan, Concannon full forward line is bright prospect. Kevin Cooney was unavailable today but I hear he was going well with before this.

Tuhoy, Morrissey, David Burke, Daithi Burke, Niall Burke, Kevin Cooney will be pushing that first 15 hard for places and others like Niland, Linnane and Haran can push the first 15 hard too.

SON in a good place but things can fall asunder quickly. Players available means he can alter to correct problems. Hopefully he has this streak in him. Today was an easy day out. No way it runs that smooth going forward.

It's hard to know where SON goes but he has a good problems to solve.

Murphy starts the next day in goals that's a given.

Full back line is not straight forward. SON was excellent today as he picked ball playing sweepers in Loftus and Harte. Unlikely they get this freedom against Kilkenny. More traditional markers in Brennan (had a good 'league) and Darren Morrissey are available. Hopefully Fintan Burke and Daithi add to this.

Half back line. Shane Cooney had a great game. Broke up play and used the ball very well. Joseph Cooney was solid without being stand out. Fintan Burke played well. Hopefully injury not bad. Harte a few bad balls aside played well. SON has to decide on TJ for Kilkenny. Despite Galway playing well last year to beat Kilkenny TJ caused havoc. With GMAC improving at 3 there is scope to continue and put a fit Daithi at 6 to mark TJ. Otherwise personally I would put Joseph Cooney on him. He's their main threat and needs to be nullified.

Padraig Mannion and Johnny Coen did ok at midfield. Maybe better than ok as it's hard to tell on TV. But squeezing the middle third sucks the life out of Wexford and that seemed to happen today. David Burke will put pressure on everyone from 5 to 12 for a starting spot.

Half forward line was hard to judge. JC and Conor Cooney were quiet first half. JC popped up with a few big catches and moments in the second half. Conor Cooney popped up a lot in the second half especially in defensive positions. Worked immensely hard which can't be understated. Like most I would like to see more on the offensive side. But work rate is work rate. Cathal Mannion as a third midfielder half forward played his usual. Maybe not his best but oozes class.

Conor Whelan. Unreal. Simply unstoppable. Tactic to drop Cathal Mannion to midfield and Whelan to half forward worked great. Again because of the way Wexford set up. Would love to see him in the full forward line.

Concannon was brilliant. Scoring effort in first half. Massive work rate in the second dropping back to our own half back line to help out. Has stepped up.

Jason Flynn some flashes. But still the same. Lively but inconsistent. Whelan, Concannon full forward line is bright prospect. Kevin Cooney was unavailable today but I hear he was going well with before this.

Tuhoy, Morrissey, David Burke, Daithi Burke, Niall Burke, Kevin Cooney will be pushing that first 15 hard for places and others like Niland, Linnane and Haran can push the first 15 hard too.

SON in a good place but things can fall asunder quickly. Players available means he can alter to correct problems. Hopefully he has this streak in him. Today was an easy day out. No way it runs that smooth going forward.

I agree with most of the above but is Daithi definitely available in 2 weeks and if he is its probably best not to put him on TJ as he can't be match fit. I think you're looking at either Joe Cooney or Fintan picking him up. GMac on Fennelly and Daithi sweeping in front if he's available.

I'm a big fan of putting your ball winning forwards on the half wings and whelan is the best in the business. Its go forward ball all day once its in his direction. You lose a bit of firepower inside but he creates so much else its worth it. I think we need someone different in alongside Concannon. Flynn has been there years and he's just not cutting it. Good option as a sub as we saw in 17 once the game gets loose but no way should he be starting at this stage.

Any word on Fintan Burke?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Robson99

Daithi and David Burke should come in for Conor Cooney and Flynn. Push Joseph Cooney back up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It's nice to have any matches going at the moment so not taking a second for granted.

Really enjoyed that performance. They never took the foot of the throat once Concannon tapped in which was great to see. Shane Cooney and Fintan Burke were lively all night. Once Murphy settled he was excellent in goals. Probably lucky that Wexford wasted so many chances.

That said I'd have Ja Mannion in for Flynn the next day. I know he did a couple of bits and pieces but it's just not happening for him at intercounty in the last 2 years. Persisting with him is doing him no favours.

Conor Cooney was well out of position but in fairness he was in nearly every ruck throwing himself around.

KK will make lads like Harte and Joseph Cooney work hard for every ball in the final. There were probably 5 or 6 lads that were very quiet by their high standards yesterday.

Concannon and Whelan were an absolutely joy to watch. They won't get freedom like that against Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

It's nice to have any matches going at the moment so not taking a second for granted.

Really enjoyed that performance. They never took the foot of the throat once Concannon tapped in which was great to see. Shane Cooney and Fintan Burke were lively all night. Once Murphy settled he was excellent in goals. Probably lucky that Wexford wasted so many chances.

That said I'd have Ja Mannion in for Flynn the next day. I know he did a couple of bits and pieces but it's just not happening for him at intercounty in the last 2 years. Persisting with him is doing him no favours.

Conor Cooney was well out of position but in fairness he was in nearly every ruck throwing himself around.

KK will make lads like Harte and Joseph Cooney work hard for every ball in the final. There were probably 5 or 6 lads that were very quiet by their high standards yesterday.

Concannon and Whelan were an absolutely joy to watch. They won't get freedom like that against Cody.

Who is Ja Mannion?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

obi604 wrote: »
    Who is Ja Mannion?

Cappataggle corner forward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

Ah ok. Didn’t see him named the last day

Second hand information but heard he's ok and his scan booked for tomorrow is not going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Second half information but heard he's ok and his scan booked for tomorrow is not going ahead.

Great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

RMAOK wrote: »
    Fintan burke is playing brilliantly. So is concannon and Murphy in goals (one or two strange shots aside). Some of the more established lads aren't playing as well.

The two mannion's are anonymous enough atm. Whelan is doing a lot of dirty work out the field.

Thought Padraic was excellent, played with a sense of freedom.

Might take Cathal a while to bed in to being named as a midfielder rather than just showing up there, I'd prefer to see him play his old role, an extra midfielder where he'd have a bit more freedom to attack.

Great to have so many options. If Daithi was fully fit I wouldn't mind seeing him at midfield, excellent there for Turlough and he's a lot better hurler than he gets credit for.

GS11 wrote:
    Might take Cathal a while to bed in to being named as a midfielder rather than just showing up there, I'd prefer to see him play his old role, an extra midfielder where he'd have a bit more freedom to attack.

I don't think C. Mannion was in midfield. TV does make things very difficult to work out. But shortly after the ball was thrown in Duignan stated Galway had made a few positional changes. So as far as I could work out for start of the game I believe we lined out as:

Murphy

Loftus
    GMAC
    Harte

Joseph Cooney
    Shane Cooney
    Fintan Burke

P. Mannion
    Johnny Coen

C. Mannion
    JC
    Conor Cooney

Concannon
    Whelan (played out the field but didn't really switch with anyone)
    Flynn

Conor Cooney and JC were quiet but watching it back it looks like SON is expecting a dogged and fit half forward line to bottle the middle and drop back to help out leaving a lot of space for the lads up front. Every ruck near our half back line Conor Cooney was usually close by. May be what's needed to stop teams going through the lines. Wexford and Limerick being two of the major ones.

• Advertisement

Ja's The Man.

Advertisement