Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

Not working on the kickouts caused Paul Kelly to drop the ball and Dublin to break and score a goal? We've retained more kickouts than Dublin thus far.

It was a contested possession, harder to retain than a ball rolling towards you running into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭obi604

Galway in last few minutes doing way too much passing around and then loosing Possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Hard to blame Power. The midfield today wouldn't fight sleep..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Big improvement for the footballers in a week.still some work to be done.well done to them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway were doing fairly well until they got 4 points up. They then started coughing up cheap possession inside their own half and in midfield and it led straight to Dublin scoring a quick 1-3. Was playing catch up after that and didn’t really look like getting level again. Dublin got a bit of a fortunate goal right at the death to seal it.

Conroy excellent in fairness. Tough first game for Foley who had to mark Paddy Small who was on fire. He gave away a good few frees as well. Mulkerrin kept Con quiet until injury time.

Looked like Flynn went of with an injury. Don’t need too many more of those this close to the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Who's missing from the first 15 at the moment besides Comer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

threeball wrote:

Two Dalys were injured today. John won't be back by the looks of it. Ronan Steede and Molloy still out. Matthew Tierney will come back into the mix as he's carrying an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

threeball wrote: »

John Daly, Duggan (a big loss last two seasons), Steede (I'd have him starting) and Comer.

Two Dalys were injured today. John won't be back by the looks of it. Ronan Steede and Molloy still out. Matthew Tierney will come back into the mix as he's carrying an injury.

Won't have John so he's out of the mix. Molloy wasn't great for Corofin this year so I doubt he'll make an impact. So basically down to Comer and Tierney.

They seemed to have slowed down their counterattack significantly since the spring and suffering because of it.

Link won't post but PJ has said couple of players had two miss out today due to covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What was the excuse for last week?

Fann Linn wrote:
    What was the excuse for last week?

Aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭briandebum

I think we're shaping up to have good team, but I think this year is too soon.

I'd say there are 4 or 5 that would have strengthened the team this year.
    Comer, Molloy, Both Dalys & Duggan/Steede. It's also arguable that Dessie Connelly deserves a shot given his club heroics, however obviously we're strong enough in the full forward line.

However, give it 2 or 3 years to let the current U-20 crop filter through and we should have a strong panel. The U-20 backs in particular gave a great display against Kerry in the second half of the semi final.

I'd expect McGrath, Hernon, McLaughlin & Tierney to make senior. Peter Cooke also was our best player in the first half against Mayo last year, and could bolster the half forward line.

So the future's bright any way, I'd be hoping for an All Ireland some time in the twenties.

briandebum wrote: »
    I think we're shaping up to have good team, but I think this year is too soon.

I'd say there are 4 or 5 that would have strengthened the team this year.
    Comer, Molloy, Both Dalys & Duggan/Steede. It's also arguable that Dessie Connelly deserves a shot given his club heroics, however obviously we're strong enough in the full forward line.

However, give it 2 or 3 years to let the current U-20 crop filter through and we should have a strong panel. The U-20 backs in particular gave a great display against Kerry in the second half of the semi final.

I'd expect McGrath, Hernon, McLaughlin & Tierney to make senior. Peter Cooke also was our best player in the first half against Mayo last year, and could bolster the half forward line.

So the future's bright any way, I'd be hoping for an All Ireland some time in the twenties.

Its Ok talking about a few years but u20s rarely come through the way you`expect and the good guys you have there are in their prime now. Soon Conroy will be gone. Pace like Shane Walshs only really hangs around until 29 to 30 (just look at Donnellan), Comer will be taping himself together etc. The time to win it is in the next two years. Any plan longer than that just isn't a plan its just wishful thinking.

Hurling panel named:

– Daithi Burke, Ronan Burke, Kevin Hussey, Sean Linnane, Sean Loftus, Conor Walsh (Turloughmore); David Burke, Eanna Burke, Fintan Burke, Conor Cooney, Shane Cooney (St Thomas’); Cathal Mannion, Padraic Mannion, Sean Bleahene (Ahascragh/Fohenagh); Joseph Cooney, Kevin Cooney, Darren Morrissey (Sarsfields); Niall Burke, Gearoid McInerney (Oranmore/Maree); TJ Brennan, Evan Niland (Clarinbridge); Johnny Coen, Jamie Ryan (Loughrea); Eanna Murphy, Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins); James Skehill, Jarlath Mannion (Cappataggle); Brian Concannon, Jack Fitzpatrick (Killimordaly); Jack Grealish, Aidan Harte (Gort); Joe Canning (Portumna); Darach Fahy (Ardrahan); Tadhg Haran (Liam Mellows); Diarmuid Kilcommins (Annaghadown); Paul Killeen (Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry); Adrian Tuohey (Beagh); Conor Whelan (Kinvara).

Hurling panel named:

– Daithi Burke, Ronan Burke, Kevin Hussey, Sean Linnane, Sean Loftus, Conor Walsh (Turloughmore); David Burke, Eanna Burke, Fintan Burke, Conor Cooney, Shane Cooney (St Thomas’); Cathal Mannion, Padraic Mannion, Sean Bleahene (Ahascragh/Fohenagh); Joseph Cooney, Kevin Cooney, Darren Morrissey (Sarsfields); Niall Burke, Gearoid McInerney (Oranmore/Maree); TJ Brennan, Evan Niland (Clarinbridge); Johnny Coen, Jamie Ryan (Loughrea); Eanna Murphy, Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins); James Skehill, Jarlath Mannion (Cappataggle); Brian Concannon, Jack Fitzpatrick (Killimordaly); Jack Grealish, Aidan Harte (Gort); Joe Canning (Portumna); Darach Fahy (Ardrahan); Tadhg Haran (Liam Mellows); Diarmuid Kilcommins (Annaghadown); Paul Killeen (Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry); Adrian Tuohey (Beagh); Conor Whelan (Kinvara).

Thats a very strong panel. Plenty of options there. Just shows how far Portumna have fallen when Joe is the sole representative now. Was it 6 or 7 they had on it round 2010-12.

Thats a very strong panel. Plenty of options there. Just shows how far Portumna have fallen when Joe is the sole representative now. Was it 6 or 7 they had on it round 2010-12.

J.Canning
    O.Canning
    D.Hayes
    K.Hayes
    A.Smyth
    E.Lynch.

Cant think of anyone else. Though by 2012 you're down to Smyth, Canning and Hayes and not long after just Joe.

J.Canning O.Canning D.Hayes K.Hayes A.Smyth E.Lynch.

Did Leo Smyth get some game time?

Suprised Ronan O Meara isn't included. He does stand out more than Joe in most club games. Delighted for Jamie Ryan for Loughrea he's hurled well for long enough to deserve a chance. Maybe like O Meara he falls into the above average club player not quite county group.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Did Martin Dolphin ever get a right run with county? Know he was in with them a few years, he had a great AI club final one year as a 19 year old or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

J.Canning
    O.Canning
    D.Hayes
    K.Hayes
    A.Smyth
    E.Lynch.

Cant think of anyone else. Though by 2012 you're down to Smyth, Canning and Hayes and not long after just Joe.

Did eugene mcentee play for Galway against waterford in 2011?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Hurling panel named:

Â –Â Daithi Burke, Ronan Burke, Kevin Hussey, Sean Linnane, Sean Loftus, Conor Walsh (Turloughmore); David Burke, Eanna Burke, Fintan Burke, Conor Cooney, Shane Cooney (St Thomas’); Cathal Mannion, Padraic Mannion, Sean Bleahene (Ahascragh/Fohenagh); Joseph Cooney, Kevin Cooney, Darren Morrissey (Sarsfields); Niall Burke, Gearoid McInerney (Oranmore/Maree); TJ Brennan, Evan Niland (Clarinbridge); Johnny Coen, Jamie Ryan (Loughrea); Eanna Murphy, Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins); James Skehill, Jarlath Mannion (Cappataggle); Brian Concannon, Jack Fitzpatrick (Killimordaly); Jack Grealish, Aidan Harte (Gort); Joe Canning (Portumna); Darach Fahy (Ardrahan); Tadhg Haran (Liam Mellows); Diarmuid Kilcommins (Annaghadown); Paul Killeen (Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry); Adrian Tuohey (Beagh); Conor Whelan (Kinvara).

That's a strong panel. The club championship was also of a high standard this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Very good preview on tribe talk podcast discussing the wexford game in depth with Franny Forde. Apart from daithi burke it seems like we have a clean bill of health which will be first time since 2017 I think. Team will be fresh after early knockout last year and should prove for them to be hungry for success. 2/1 to win Leinster is a serious price in my eyes. The way games are so open and highscoring should play into our hands. The key for us I see is if conor cooney carries his club form into county as him on fire with canning and cathal mannion around half forward line will prove lethal for other teams to stop.

Galway starting XV & subs to face Wexford
    (Leinster SHC semi-final)

1. Eanna Murphy (Tommy Larkins)
    2. Sean Loftus (Turloughmore Hurling)
    3. Fintan Burke (St. Thomas' Hurling Club)
    4. Aidan Harte (Gort GAA Club)
    5. Padraig Mannion (Captain) (Ahascragh Fohenagh Gaa)
    6. Gearóid McInerney (Oranmore/Maree GAA Club)
    7. Shane Cooney (St. Thomas' Hurling Club)
    8. Cathal Mannion (Ahascraghfohenagh Hurlingclub)
    9. Johnny Coen (Loughrea Hurling Club)
    10. Conor Cooney (St. Thomas' Hurling Club)
    11. Joe Canning (Portumna GAA)
    12. Joseph Cooney (SarsfieldsGAA)
    13. Brian Concannon (Killimordaly Hurling Club)
    14. Conor Whelan (Kinvara Gaa)
    15. Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins)

16. James Skehill (Cappataggle Hurling Club)
    17. Darren Morrissey (SarsfieldsGAA)
    18. Jack Fitzpatrick (Killimordaly Hurling Club)
    19. TJ Brennan (Clarinbridge GAA Club)
    20. Adrian Tuohey (Beagh Hurling Club)
    21. Sean Linnane (Turloughmore Hurling)
    22. Jack Grealish (Gort GAA Club)
    23. David Burke (St. Thomas' Hurling Club)
    24. Tadhg Haran (Liam Mellows GAA Club)
    25. Evan Niland (Clarinbridge GAA Club)
    26. Niall Burke (Oranmore/Maree GAA Club)

Doing ok. Newcomers impressive. Mc going toe to toe with Chin and I think they've brought him out. Has to be said from play Conor Cooney and JC anonymous so far. Flynn as frustrating as ever. Murphy in goals looks solid be great if he could get through this without a wobble and build on it.

Impressive so far, the second half of the Tipp game has continued.

Just playing intelligently, looking up and playing the ball into space and letting the forwards work towards it.
    Look slightly naive at the back though considering we have an extra player back, you can see Wexford are generally getting it away from their goal easier when it is hit to a contest.

Nice to see Concannon continue his form and it makes a good combo with Whelan to have two players like that on form.

Probably the best half since the Wexford round robin game in 2018, things started to go sour from the LF against Kilkenny.

Good first half but C cooney and Flynn are passengers. You certainly can't carry Flynn in a 2 man FF line. I think Haran or Linnane would be worth a shot in there at this stage. Flynn just won't work hard enough to operate in that role

threeball wrote:
    Good first half but C cooney and Flynn are passengers. You certainly can't carry Flynn in a 2 man FF line. I think Haran or Linnane would be worth a shot in there at this stage. Flynn just won't work hard enough to operate in that role

Can show how sometimes one player missing makes such a difference. With Daithi playing I reckon Joseph Cooney goes half forward line and Whelan to full forward with Flynn dropping out. Whelan and Concannon in that full forward line with today's angled ball would do some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Fintan burke is playing brilliantly. So is concannon and Murphy in goals (one or two strange shots aside). Some of the more established lads aren't playing as well.

The two mannion's are anonymous enough atm. Whelan is doing a lot of dirty work out the field.

RMAOK wrote: »
    Fintan burke is playing brilliantly. So is concannon and Murphy in goals (one or two strange shots aside). Some of the more established lads aren't playing as well.

The two mannion's are anonymous enough atm. Whelan is doing a lot of dirty work out the field.

Just shows the massive room for improvement when you have 4 or 5 established lads not playing well and 2 starters to come back

• Advertisement

Galway United win in the play off, good win in the hurling... I could get used to Saturdays like this. Via the lockdown. Ireland could round off a great day and make lockdown two a nice period to look back on.

Not much to say really as there wasnt much wrong. They played heads up and very rarely hit aimless ball into the oppositions half.
    Pressed then all over the pitch and very few had bad performances.

That performance puts them right in the mix, in fact probably favourites with a bit of analysis(walked 2017, nearly won 2018 despite erratic performances and only KOd on PDs last year so not put out on merits.

A strange turnaround as the Limerick league game was really really poor, the Tipp game was going the same way and then things just clicked and it looks to have snowballed since then.

Advertisement