Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relationships - Age limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Reckless endangerment including of a minor.

To me it isn't credible that a person of sound mind wouldn't understand the risks of putting firearms in the hands of a child.

I'm sure you'll also act like a loon when boyfriends start coming on the scene if she survives until then, no fear of that.

Candie said it best.
    Candie wrote: »
    Kids and guns aren't really relevant.

Not in this discussion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Why the hell did you thank that and not my posts, **** you.

When my boyfriend told me his age I didn't want to believe it. My cut off point was around early forties. The relationship is far from perfect but it's not the age that causes difficulties. He is in fantastic shape and has no problem getting the glad eye from other women so it is possible to be of a certain age and still attract younger women.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only so much as I was exampling how reactions I only see online are not something I extrapolate to meat space.
    Online people are more likely to be honest, or more likely to be tut tutting curtain twitchers, or aggressive, or dismissive, or outraged[Delete as applicable] In the Real World™ people are much more likely to say nada or tut tut in private among the like minded. Nature of the beast T.

Real Life. Earlier.

Les+Dawson+6.jpg

:D

On the firearms front: I once spent a fantastic day with me Da© on a firing range in the US when I was 12/13. Shooting all sorts of pistols, rifles, inc semi auto rifles. AK47's have a fair oul kick to them. AR15's not nearly so much. Pistols were very inaccurate in my hands. Except for one of the earliest automatic pistols made, a Mauser C96(the basis for Han Solo's gun in Star Wars). I got pretty good with that heavy old thing alright. Even locals were impressed. Some bang off it though. One of the loudest pistols there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

3yrs either side max. Same age range I like to be able to relate in a relationship?

Just short of actual relatives that is....I don’t believe it’s all relative either but yes I like the women in my phone book to be within some kind of range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'll park this here.....

40 secs in

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's part of it of course. Just like a woman going out with a wealthy man. Who's got a larger potential dating base? An office junior guy driving a cubicle at 25, or a 35 year old business guy with a couple of mill in the bank? On average people tend to pair off with "equals" in looks, status and age. Where they don't it tends to be richer, often older men with younger better looking partners.

I’d agree with all that for sure, and g&t was asking the question in terms of her friend that owns a dating agency, that many of the men were looking for a young woman as opposed to women their own age. In that context it’s very much a “buyers market” as it were, as those men would not only have the kind of money to be throwing at dating agencies, but they would also have the kind of wealth that would enable them to keep a young woman enthralled and entertained. There are services for women too, but they aren’t generally as popular. I just don’t know will there ever be a point where women who can afford to keep a young man enthralled and entertained will be regarded with the same level of social acceptance. Dating agencies for women who want some arm candy aren’t nearly so appealing an opportunity for young men who want to be enthralled and entertained and accustomed to an aspirational lifestyle :D Men of leisure are very few and far between as opposed to ladies of leisure who are still quite common and far more socially acceptable.

Well yes and no and the two have large overlaps. The biological facts are women have a finite time to have kids that's physically bounded and that reproductive biology means a woman's fertility peaks in her early to mid twenties and slowly declines from there, though it's not nearly as rapid as some seem to think. EG it's not in free fall by 30 or anything like it. Even at 40 a woman's average chances of a birth are still running at around half of when she's 25. The risks of genetic damage and difficult pregnancies and births do increase after the early 30's. Getting pregnant after 35 is even referred to if unkindly as a "geriatric pregnancy".

Some studies concluded that both parents age was a factor in this, but when studies looked at older men/younger women pairings(and vice versa) the stats showed that it's the woman's age that is the biggest factor by far. Except for autism. Older men are more likely to sire autistic children. Not a big effect, but present. Men's fertility also declines but much more slowly. To the degree that sprem donor facilities in Europe and the UK upped their age limit to 50 for donors. Interestingly the health of a women's eggs didn't seem to be the issue, but the overall physical environment. IE a woman of 25 who received donated eggs from a woman of 40 will have nigh on the same risks and outcomes as another woman of 25 with her own eggs. Fascinating stuff. Though the obvious reason would be that pregnancy and birth are bloody hard on the body and a 25 year old will be on average more able to take such a toll.

Then again folks differ. One of my grandmothers had her last kid at 45 and she reckoned it was the easiest pregnancy and birth of the four she had. Folks differ in other ways. EG in my family and on both sides the widowers vastly outnumber the widows(only two widows in living memory). They tended to marry younger women too. Roughly between 8 and 20 years younger. In recent years two male rellies were the ones nursing and then mourning their wives. Not usual at all, as it's normally the other way around and age gaps certainly increase the risk, but you really don't know how things will turn out, even for folks the same age. I'm sure we all know as I do young enough equal aged couples where they ended up in that horrible position of looking after a failing partner.

Yep, there’s definitely more overlap than solely putting it down to evolution, particularly in the last century or so when women are in a far better place to be able to control their fertility than at any other time throughout human history, and by that I mean I remember reading about some of the earliest contraceptive methods, which I don’t imagine were particularly effective -

Birth control and abortion are well documented in Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt. (See History of abortion.) The Ebers Papyrus from 1550 BC and the Kahun Papyrus from 1850 BC have within them some of the earliest documented descriptions of birth control, the use of honey, acacia leaves and lint to be placed in the vagina to block sperm. Another early document explicitly referring to birth control methods is the Kahun Gynecological Papyrus from about 1850 BC. It describes various contraceptive pessaries, including acacia gum, which recent research has confirmed to have spermatocidal qualities and is still used in contraceptive jellies. Other birth control methods mentioned in the papyrus include the application of gummy substances to cover the "mouth of the womb" (i.e. the cervix), a mixture of honey and sodium carbonate applied to the inside of the vagina, and a pessary made from crocodile dung. Lactation (breast-feeding) of up to three years was also used for birth control purposes in ancient Egypt.

And today there are fertility clinics with special offers and a growing number of global companies offering all sorts of incentives for women to delay pregnancy and childbirth. To that end at least I think the whole issue of ‘biological clocks’ and so on are likely to become even less of a relevant factor that women will have to consider as it becomes more socially acceptable to control how, when and more importantly if they decide to have either their own biological children, or choose from a whole plethora of other options such as surrogacy. I think that for women getting pregnant after 35 will in about a decade or so be seen as much less an extraordinary feat of evolution and biology and much more simply another lifestyle choice based on women’s social expectations for themselves as they gain more social capital. I don’t think it will ever likely be on the same footing as men, but for that minority of women, they now have options that weren’t granted them by virtue of their biology. They have for all intents and purposes overcome the limitations of evolutionary biology and so there isn’t the same impetus on women to pair off to be provided for by men who once had greater opportunities to provide for them, as there once was, historically speaking.

Yeah, but c'mon you're hardly competing like with like G. In extremis Brad Pitt even if he was an "ordinary bloke" when he was 40 odd was in the top percentile of male looks and would blow 90% of the 26 year old Jon's in the office(leaving out the aitch in "John" would be a hanging offence anyway :D). It's like saying yer wan from Modern Family Sofia Vergara is a good example of a 45 year old woman. Yes they're extremes, but you could go the other way and compare 26 year old Jon, gone fat around the middle since college nursing a future of crap health(and who could well be balding too) and a 40 year old cross fitter who is all sinew and energy. May even have a full head of hair with it.

Though I would say that men age faster on average in one way and that's mentally. IMHO and IME men are far more likely to settle on a way of thinking and doing and ride that to the grave. They get into a mental rut. Much more than women in my experience. Plus they rarely get a second wind the way many women do after menopause. Given the choice between hanging out with a random average bunch of middle aged strangers for an afternoon, give me a bunch of women any day of the week.

Have to admit I’d be the very same, and that’s why even when g&t asked what is it with men’s obsession with younger women, I wasn’t going to be the pedantic fcuker that points out that it’s really a vanishingly small minority of middle aged men would be at all interested in women young enough to be their daughters. That’s why the minority of men who are though, are going to be so much more obvious as to jar in ones memory! Speaking of jarring memories, while I often enjoy the company of elderly women, I’ve met a few who weren’t just experiencing a second wind after menopause, but the menopause gave them the opportunity to seek out new relationships* after either divorce or their hubby had previously shuffled off this mortal coil and their children had grown up and left the nest. Some of their accounts of their exploits would embarrass any 17 year old girl who thought she was worldly wise at her age :pac:

*There’s a downside to that too of course in that the rate of STI’s amongst OAPs is rising at an even faster rate than among younger generations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fryup wrote: »
    i'll park this here.....

40 secs in

Leslie was a fcuking great comedic actor. It's the treating it seriously straight face that gets me. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Have to admit I’d be the very same, and that’s why even when g&t asked what is it with men’s obsession with younger women, I wasn’t going to be the pedantic fcuker that points out that it’s really a vanishingly small minority of middle aged men would be at all interested in women young enough to be their daughters.
    Monocular Jack, I was solely referring to conversation within the middle aged milieu. :D While no way at 50 would I be interested in a woman in her twenties, or it would be a major WTF going on(and wouldn't happen), TBH on a purely physical desire front(and averaging it out of course), outa the gate, I'd be more interested and attracted to a woman in her mid 30's than one in her 50's.

Oh and the ancients go to method was primarily the oul pull out before you shoot. Which if done correctly is not far off perfect use condoms. Done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I doubt the age of a man causes any increased risks in pregnancy or have any effect at all on the child, despite the faddy research coming out in recent years alleging to show that it does.

The risk of autism stuff is small and likely due to environmental factors, to upbringing. In general you have to be very cautious drawing conclusions when looking at anything related to autism or similar conditions in long-term epidemiological studies. Remember when some study showed that vaccines supposedly caused autism? It's a similar idea. If it was something like cystic fibrosis sure, otherwise there could be any number of reasons explaining the effect.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    clog up the thread with the experiences of one person and some very, very, wordy posts. :)

A petty and uncalled for parting shot really - but unfortunately we are getting nothing much more than personal experiences on this thread. And the personal experiences are positive. Mine and two others for example.

A couple of others are offering us _not even_ personal experiences against the notion however. Just vague gut assertions that something is being "denied" or it is all a bad thing because it just is. None of which you appear willing to even attempt to support or back up.

Personal experience should be taken like all anecdote. It is far from the ideal. But it is certainly better than the literal nothing that is being held up against it so far here.
    Reckless endangerment including of a minor.

By your own definition of both "minor" and "endangerment" it seems. Not one that is actually included in any law I have seen. 17 being for example the age of consent.

But who exactly is endangering anyone and how?
    To me it isn't credible that a person of sound mind wouldn't understand the risks of putting firearms in the hands of a child.

Who says someone does not understand the risks of it? :confused: I taught my daughter how to make pancakes at age 5 and change the wiring of a plug at age 6. I did those too perfectly cognizant of the risks involved.

One can perfectly easily teach a child a skill without losing sight of the risks inherent in the process of education and use. In fact the exact opposite is the point. One can pick things to teach them and train them in precisely _because_ you know the dangers of that something and yuo wish to teach them the care and respect required around that something.

In other words it is not a failure to understand the risks that motivates my training. It is precisely _because_ of the risks I do so.
    I'm sure you'll also act like a loon when boyfriends start coming on the scene if she survives until then, no fear of that.

I certainty see no reason to expect will be born out in reality. Nor do I see a single reason to expect it to happen. Nor do the vast majority of fathers in my experience act that way. Boyfriends are a fact of life - and my job as a parent is not to go looney when they come. My job as a parent is to develop _now_ and until then a girl and woman that I trust to handle it mostly herself when the time comes. The thankfully small minority of dads who go ineffectually loopy when the first male shows up in their daughters life are likely doing more harm than good.
    Online people are more likely to be honest, or more likely to be tut tutting curtain twitchers, or aggressive, or dismissive, or outraged

Yes that is what I mean. But I wonder if it is that online people are more likely to be that way - or the people who are more likely to be that way are more likely to go online to do it. It becomes one of those "self selecting data sets" in that case.

What I mean is that despite being told above that "most people" will not agree with my positions I see very few people on or off line who have an issue with it. It is just by far the vast majority _of_ the vast minority who seem to - go online to express it.

The main point being that I am not seeing many at all - let alone "most people" with an issue on subjects like age differences or gun training and the like.
    On the firearms front: I once spent a fantastic day with me Da© on a firing range in the US when I was 12/13. Shooting all sorts of pistols, rifles, inc semi auto rifles. AK47's have a fair oul kick to them.

Yeah as a parent I often feel that if there are things that are dangerous and risky in life that a child might do - or even do often - that it is best they first do it with me where sane. So that the child learns the basics and learns their own boundaries and limits. So that someone experienced can not exploit their ignorance later. Basic training with - and respect for - things like fire arms is one example of this.

A training and respect I even then carry across to things like our air gun at home. After they fire it at something and they run to that something - I have drummed it into them they are not even allowed _move_ until they have checked the weapon - disarmed or put it on safety - and checked the chamber. It does not matter how dangerous or benign the "weapon" is - I drum the exact same respect into them. And it is funny to see the training take hold as a near instinct. My 4 year old son will not even put his NERF gun down without ensuring it is not loaded and able to fire accidentally now.

Alcohol and maybe weed is another example. I intend to be the first person - and hopefully second and third - to get my kids stoned or drunk later in life. Because I envision with a kind of horror a girl learning her limits and boundaries with alcohol among horny boys who will happily ply her with more than her capabilities on her first experiences knowing A) She wont know when to stop and B) this will leave her - pliable shall we say. I know she will go off drinking like most teens do at some point. And I want to know that when she does so she will know her limits and respect the effects.

The more the kids experience with me and learn the boundaries of - the less their ignorance of those limits can surprise them and be used against them. And I try to take that approach into the skills - education - and knowledge I bring to them.

Then when a girl hits 17 - my plan is not to be there protecting her from every 27 year old on the planet. But to feel as confident as I can that if such an individual approaches her - that all the protection I can offer her is installed in her - not in me.

I doubt the age of a man causes any increased risks in pregnancy or have any effect at all on the child, despite the faddy research coming out in recent years alleging to show that it does.
    Research consistently shows that the age of the mother is by far the biggest influence. As I noted earlier when older fathers with younger mothers demographic is examined this holds true.

Then again such stats can hide other factors. I can think of a couple offhand. For a start an older guy who can in the first place attract younger women as a consistent thing is much more likely to be physically healthier than his similarly peers. Health and good genes are often a reflection of external "looks", especially as people age.

Wealthier men have a wider range of attraction for some younger women and wealth and health strongly follows a linked curve. IE the 25 year old partner of a wealthy 40 year old has more access to better diet, environment and medical care and attention compared to a 25 year old whose partner is a 25 year old unemployed guy.

Those two alone could skew the results. If we go to the extremes; look at Mick Jagger of the Strolling Bones. Never mind currently still bouncing like a dervish in his mid 70's, look at the Scorsese flic of their gig "Shine a Light", when Mick was in his mid 60's. A pensioner.

For some reason the bloody youtube tags ain't working so here's the direct link.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liW_r0c8rj8&frags=pl%2Cwn

That's a 65 year old dude. Now... forget that in the face he looks like something you'd find in the Cairo museum unwrapped looking for a horror film to roam, he's fitter, far fitter than most average 40 year olds. Hell, he's fitter than many 30 year olds. And he's rich as fook. Any kids he has - and the women that want to have his kids - are going to have a good chance of great genes(his da lived well into his 90's IIRC?) and the personal wealth to help support and physically grow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

frosty123 wrote: »
    Ok, i'm a bloke of 38 and i'm contemplating asking out a 25 yr old woman..so thats a 13 year age gap.

Ive been called a dirty bastard, cradle snatcher etc...am i?

But surely if a woman (or indeed man) is 25 they're old & mature enough to date whatever age partner they want??

I want feedback on this please...whats your age gap limit? have you ever been out with someone thats has been way older than you.. or way younger than you?

Thanks,

you're old enough to be her teenage father

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

My female cousin 38 yrs is 3 years with 70 yr old man.
    Very happy and relaxed in herself. No kids.
    He had kids with ex wife.
    She was married to a fella the same age but it did not work out (in their 20s)
    70 yr old goes to gym, eats well, fit, kind and adores her.
    I see no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

My female cousin 38 yrs is 3 years with 70 yr old man.
    Very happy and relaxed in herself. No kids.
    He had kids with ex wife.
    She was married to a fella the same age but it did not work out (in their 20s)
    70 yr old goes to gym, eats well, fit, kind and adores her.
    I see no problem.

is he wealthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Corps

Sure go for it OP. I admit that I am one of the type that frowns on huge age gaps but do not let others like me hinder your happiness. It's the two of yous own business regardless of what others think and ye are not hurting anyone. And sure, Kate Upton married her husband who is 10 years older. Think about that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A dad bod and a bit of grey hair, more attractive to some women than a polished up 25 year old who's practically still a boy

I think its silly when people say this, if you asked a bunch of college girls what celebrities or tv characters or musicians they found hot they will all be young pretty boys in good shape, seems a bit delusional to think attractive young women are all fantasising about fat middle aged men

For a start an older guy who can in the first place attract younger women as a consistent thing is much more likely to be physically healthier than his similarly peers. Health and good genes are often a reflection of external "looks", especially as people age.

Further to the above: look at what Persepoly said about her guy earlier:

"When my boyfriend told me his age I didn't want to believe it. My cut off point was around early forties. The relationship is far from perfect but it's not the age that causes difficulties. He is in fantastic shape and has no problem getting the glad eye from other women so it is possible to be of a certain age and still attract younger women."

One of those guys with the Jagger Effect™. As I said people, men and women, age at different rates(and down to the genetic level with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

is he wealthy?

not really. very kind and much younger than 70 in his outlook, energy and goals in life

Re the 17/27 year old couple I think its very OTT to call it grooming, its legal age, a 17 year old has gone through puberty completely, even if they're still immature emotionally
    When I was 17/18 I was interested in guys a bit older, mid late twenties

A guy I know who's 27 recently posted a relationship status thing with an 18 year old, I found it a bit weird just because the 18 year old actually looked a lot younger like 16, and he looked more like early thirties, but it got dozens of likes so I don't think most people have a problem

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think its silly when people say this, if you asked a bunch of college girls what celebrities or tv characters or musicians they found hot they will all be young pretty boys in good shape, seems a bit delusional to think attractive young women are all fantasising about fat middle aged men
    [emphasis mine]

Again W, that's not really comparing like with like. They're not fantasising about fat middle aged men about as much as they're not fantasising about fat young men. Given a choice between a tubby balding 25 year old guy and [insert 40+ year old TV/Film star bloke here] and which would they choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Nah it's not even age gaps it's generation gaps.... Nothing in common and when you hear a song and say I remember that in the disco on a Saturday night and she says I was like 5 when that was out..... Yeah, no thanks. Young people make me feel older than I am, no way I'd date one, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

frosty123 wrote: »

She works in my local supermarket, she's eastern-european and she's gorgeous both in looks and personality, she has a happy cheery demeanour she really lights up the place and she ticks all the boxes as for as im concerned.

by all means go for it, but you got to bear in mind that if she's as hot as you say she'll be the target for many a young buck out there...so be prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

A guy I know who's 27 recently posted a relationship status thing with an 18 year old, I found it a bit weird just because the 18 year old actually looked a lot younger like 16, and he looked more like early thirties, but it got dozens of likes so I don't think most people have a problem

I'd be questioning our friendship if one of my friends in their 20s was getting into a relationship with someone 10 years their junior.

I find it hard to imagine any regular situations where that would happen where either the younger party isn't being taken advantage of, or the elder isn't seriously emotionally stunted in some way.

screamer wrote: »
    Nah it's not even age gaps it's generation gaps.... Nothing in common and when you hear a song and say I remember that in the disco on a Saturday night and she says I was like 5 when that was out..... Yeah, no thanks.
    Maybe, though I have an almost pathological aversion to generational nostalgia. When a conversation brings forth a sentence that starts with "remember when..." I get near murderous. I'm lucky that the majority of my peers don't do this, but my idea of a living purgatory is a conversation like that among the middle aged. Hell, I've heard 30 odd year olds come out with it. It descends into a living hell when they segue, as they almost inevitably do, into "things were better in our day/kids these days..". I have found men much worse for this.
    elefant wrote: »
    I'd be questioning our friendship if one of my friends in their 20s was getting into a relationship with someone 10 years their junior.

I find it hard to imagine any regular situations where that would happen where either the younger party isn't being taken advantage of, or the elder isn't seriously emotionally stunted in some way.
    I dunno about questioning friendships. I try not to be judgemental with friends. It's part of the deal of friendship for me. I suppose I might be a little "wut?". Depends on the individuals involved. When I was in my late teens two women friends of mine had relationships with guys who were around 25 to their 18. I knew one lad who at 18 was seeing a 26 year old woman and that worked for years. They weren't being taken advantage of. I knew one woman at that time in the extended bunch who went for actual Oulfellas™. Like 40 and 50 year olds when she was 18/19. That was a consistent trend for her, but she had more issues than Time's back catalogue and she was taken advantage of more than once alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

elefant wrote: »

I'd agree on the emotionally stunted bit as an emotionally stunted idiot, but it's hardly grounds for questioning friendships. Some people hit their thirties and want all the familial and familiar trappings and others carry on as if in their 20s, they get their joy out of whatever hobbies/work/relationships they have.
    This year I've been with one lady 10 years my senior and one 15 years my junior, I don't see a problem with the swing in either direction as long as the people involved are having fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I think its silly when people say this, if you asked a bunch of college girls what celebrities or tv characters or musicians they found hot they will all be young pretty boys in good shape...

Not necessarily. According to Glamour magazine, whose primary audience is women aged 18 to 34, the sexiest man of the year is Tom Hardy, who will turn 41 in a couple of days. Second on the list is 36-year-old Jamie Dornan. Twenty-eight-year-old Anthony Joshua is third, 37-year-old Ryan Gosling is fourth, and 46-year-old Idris Elba is fifth.

So, the top 5 sexiest men, according to Glamour readers, include two men in their forties, two more in their late thirties, and one in his late twenties. Forty-one-year-old Ryan Reynolds, 43-year-old David Beckham, and 42-year-old Benedict Cumberbatch all make the top 20 as well.

Limechime wrote: »
    I think there is an element here of some women being a bit peeved that women peak in attractiveness younger than men, so they are trying to convince either themselves or other people that men are past it at 35/40.

They'd be wrong in that case. A new study of online dating published in the journal Science Advances shows that women's sexual desirability peaks at age 18 while men's peaks at age 50. See the New York Times article on it here.

Not necessarily. According to Glamour magazine, whose primary audience is women aged 18 to 34, the sexiest man of the year is Tom Hardy, who will turn 41 in a couple of days. Second on the list is 36-year-old Jamie Dornan. Twenty-eight-year-old Anthony Joshua is third, 37-year-old Ryan Gosling is fourth, and 46-year-old Idris Elba is fifth.

So, the top 5 sexiest men, according to Glamour readers, include two men in their forties, two more in their late thirties, and one in his late twenties. Forty-one-year-old Ryan Reynolds, 43-year-old David Beckham, and 42-year-old Benedict Cumberbatch all make the top 20 as well.

If so then why is nearly every woman in college dating guys her age? If they were so attracted to men that much older they would be dating them and single middle aged guys would have no problem meeting and dating girls in their twenties

All those men also look very young for their age, hardly any normal middle aged guys especially in ireland look like them at all

• Advertisement

Limechime wrote: »
    50 sounds high to me for a man, I would have said late thirties, assuming it's a man who keeps himself in good shape and is healthy. For women I would have said about 22 or 23.

For women, desirability isn't all about looks. The article notes that education level is a major factor for women. Especially now that women outnumber men in college and earn more degrees, it's becoming more and more difficult for a younger woman to find a male partner educated to an equivalent standard.

Men are clearly more driven by youth and looks: "'The age gradient for women definitely surprised us — both in terms of the fact that it steadily declined from the time women were 18 to the time they were 65, and also how steep it was,' said Elizabeth Bruch, an associate professor of sociology at the University of Michigan and an author of the study."

Advertisement