Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relationships - Age limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

banie01 wrote: »
    With everyone being plucked, shaved or waxed these days....
    Thats a rule that could see ya in jail! :pac:

she started it ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

OP I understand what you re through as in contemplating whether or not to ask her out.

As I was in a somewhat similar situation in recent years, guy over 30 contemplating asking out a girl over 20- similar age difference about 12 years, in the end I decided not to ask her out, after contemplating it the thought " what if she thinks its a bit weird a guy over 10 years older then her asking her out " went through my mind a bit, so I decided maybe its best " to just say nothing at all " which is what I did.

If you do ask out this girl I wish you best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its 10+ years not not 15yr old, ignore the leeches and go for it, both adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wouldn't see a problem with that if you have similar interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Way over thinking it just ask her out and see what happens.

• Advertisement

frosty123 wrote: »
    Ive been called a dirty bastard, cradle snatcher etc...am i?

A good first question to ask yourself is whether you like this person _because_ of the age they are or _despite_ the age they are.

Assuming the person I am with is a consenting adult I have no age limits myself - once I actually want to be with the person themselves.

If I ever caught myself attracted to someone _because_ of the age they are however I would be worried.

There is a 10 year age gap existing in my current relationship for example. Is not an issue at all. Felt more of an issue when we started going out as she was 17 when we met. But she is 29 now. And 40 is looming before me like a dark cloud.

Oh yea and now she is pregnant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Had an 11 year relationship with a lady 17 years younger....Go for it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Sister in law started dating a guy in college, while she was in junior cert. Didnt sit right, why wasnt he getting college poon? Thought it a bit greasy.

Sure enough, he got done for paedo photos about 4 years later (they'd broken up by then).
    Greasy fcuker

If it looks and feels greasy, it probably is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

When I was 22 I was going out with a guy who was 34. Age gap was never a problem. We split up in the end because he moved away with work.
    Go for it. Worst she can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

As everyone mentioned, it's all down to the couple. I know of relationships that failed because of the age difference. the younger partner was lovely but a bit immature. However I've known others that have succeeded. Honestly though, you won't know which category your will fall into unless you give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Sister in law started dating a guy in college, while she was in junior cert. Didnt sit right, why wasnt he getting college poon? Thought it a bit greasy.

There could be 2 to 3 years age difference between someone sitting the Junior Cert and someone in college. It's not necessarily such a big deal.

In any case, the OP wants to date a 25-year-old woman. Not a schoolgirl of 15/16.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sure enough, he got done for paedo photos about 4 years later (they'd broken up by then).
    Greasy fcuker

but the OP's scenario is totally different, he fancy's an adult woman albeit a young adult woman...and i don't see a problem in it myself,

*my hang up is that they can't be taller than me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Greasy fcuker

Was he an Italian?

There could be 2 to 3 years age difference between someone sitting the Junior Cert and someone in college. It's not necessarily such a big deal.

In any case, the OP wants to date a 25-year-old woman. Not a schoolgirl of 15/16.

Aye, and 2 or 3 years can be the difference between statutory rape and not.

IMO theres something seriously wrong with a guy in college hitting on a schoolkid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Greasy fcuker

Greasy as fock, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The age gap twaddle is relatively new. After the Second World War age gaps were normal. I have friends in the UK that have been together for 8 years - she is 26 & he is 65. They don't care & no one else seems to either.

Being called a cradle snatcher is a compliment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Discodog wrote: »
    I have friends in the UK that have been together for 8 years - she is 26 & he is 65.

you gotta be kiddin :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

fryup wrote: »
    you gotta be kiddin :confused:

Why ? It's a lot more common than you think. It might be considered outrageous here but not in other countries - Macron ?

Aye, and 2 or 3 years can be the difference between statutory rape and not.

IMO theres something seriously wrong with a guy in college hitting on a schoolkid.

The difference between a 6th year in school and a "guy in college" can be a few months.

If an 18-year-old man can be prosecuted for having sex with his 16-year-old girlfriend, that indicates a problem with our laws, not with their behavior.

The difference between a 6th year in school and a "guy in college" can be a few months.

If an 18-year-old man can be prosecuted for having sex with his 16-year-old girlfriend, that indicates a problem with our laws, not with their behavior.

She was in junior cert
    He was in college.
    I'd run a fcuking mile if I knew the one I was chatting up was in junior cert, and I in college.

Greasy

(Be different if they were a year or two apart and going out for a while, while in secondary, and he started in first year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Got out of a 3 year relationship with someone 11 years my junior last year, maturity wasn't a problem until the end when she decided she'd been neglecting her spiritual side and started performing flower ceremonies with her friend's auras and bullshít of that ilk. Be aware of any signs, don't get blinded by lust or love and take heed - the twenties are a time for formative change and the change won't always suit you.
    If no bad signs, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think generally over 10 years usually doesnt work. Obviously exceptions, but just from what Ive seen, seems best to stick to under 10 year age difference. If she shows interest in you though, who cares, just go for it

Also sounds harsh but it also depends on how old you look for your age, in this age gap scenario it matters more how old you look than your numerical age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I'm 47, my girlfriend's 33. She's 14 years younger than me...

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

frosty123 wrote: »
    Ok, i'm a bloke of 38 and i'm contemplating asking out a 25 yr old woman..so thats a 13 year age gap.

Ive been called a dirty bastard, cradle snatcher etc...am i?

But surely if a woman (or indeed man) is 25 they're old & mature enough to date whatever age partner they want??

I want feedback on this please...whats your age gap limit? have you ever been out with someone thats has been way older than you.. or way younger than you?

Thanks,

There is no age gap if the love is there.....25 is an adult....if its good for both of you go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

banie01 wrote: »
    Is the rule not half your age plus 7??

Mick Jagger did that but he subtracted the 7 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The "school kid" could even be the older of the two. I was in college at 17!

The "school kid" could even be the older of the two. I was in college at 17!

Absolutely. If you start school early and skip Transition Year, you can easily be in college at 17. Others who start later, do TY, and repeat the Leaving could be 19+ and still in secondary school.

The "she's doing her Junior Cert and he's in college -- ugh!" thing is meaningless unless you consider the ages and maturity level of the people involved. If it's a 21-year-old dating a 14-year-old, then yes, that's obviously inappropriate. If they're 17 and 15, I don't see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

Discodog wrote: »
    I have friends in the UK that have been together for 8 years - she is 26 & he is 65.

Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

She was in junior cert
    He was in college.
    I'd run a fcuking mile if I knew the one I was chatting up was in junior cert, and I in college.

Greasy

(Be different if they were a year or two apart and going out for a while, while in secondary, and he started in first year).

Don't other countries have laws that cover this kind of stuff. So it'd be illegal for me to have sex with a 15 year old, but not for a 16 year old to have sex with a 15 year old. There's clauses that specifically affect teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

25 and 38 is fine. But you’ve been called names even though you are still only at the contemplation stage?

Advertisement