Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

davew121 wrote: »
    The first announcement last year had top billing for some acts then when the second announcement came out they were knocked down to make way for bigger headline acts so its possible?

Yeah I'll admit Prodigy was a very big headliner last year but U2 played Croke Park to 80,000 and they played Glastonbury. Since RTE is not giving coverage of the festival i can imagine U2 would be less inclined to play as the Picnic is not as prestigious an event as Glastonbury. I mean how are they gonna afford Aphex Twin if they're gonna be booking U2 too. :D:pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Breeno98 wrote: »
    Is it worth getting early entry tickets? Do many actually set up the Thursday? Will there be anything open (stalls etc) ?

If you’re staying in general camping it’s a god send. Or at least it was when Oscar Wilde was still around - it will be sadly missed! Arrive at 4 pm, take your time picking a decent spot to set up camp, get the tents up, and skull cans for the night.

Last year there were a few DJs and a bitta comedy on around salty dog and trenchtown. Carnival was open in Jimi Hendrix. Places to get crap food. But nothing was better than waking up on Friday being smug seeing people filing in trying to find a spot to camp.

But it is bitterly cold, colder than any other night at the picnic. Loads of layers needed.

Would 100% recommend heading down with an early entry ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

I mean how are they gonna afford Aphex Twin if they're gonna be booking U2 too. :D:pac:

Promote this man immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

LowOdour wrote: »
    Thanks to jeditokingyoda, mimimcmc and rubick for all the info on Eco Campsite!

You've booked it haven't you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭LowOdour

mimimcmc wrote: »
    You've booked it haven't you ;)

We grabbed 2 tickets, so think we might go for it.

We have Pink Moon booked already, but I'm sure we will be able to move those on, even at a reduction if needs be.

Going camping at Kaleidoscope with the new tent in a few weeks, will see how that fairs out and decide then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

LowOdour wrote: »
    We grabbed 2 tickets, so think we might go for it.

We have Pink Moon booked already, but I'm sure we will be able to move those on, even at a reduction if needs be.

Going camping at Kaleidoscope with the new tent in a few weeks, will see how that fairs out and decide then!

That Pink Moon will be highly sought after, no need for a reduction, face value should shift them

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

rubick wrote: »
    Promote this man immediately!

He is the uncrowned king of boards.ie>gigs&events

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Re. Salty dog. I think I read somewhere about a stage called 'Spike Island - Salty dog'. This would suggest there will be some redesign. Last years fake shop fronts were a nice little addition. Hopefully the area will be getting bigger. If The Hazel Wood is there again, maybe the Salty Dog could expand towards The Other Voices site. (it is terrible that they won't be there)

Bloody false advertising so it is. Last year I saw the "hot soup" sign and thought "that sounds nice" at 3am. But when i got there it was just another hotdog stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rcarroll1992

Hi all,

I've been to the festival a number of times at this stage and always did standard camping. This year we decided to go to Pink Moon for a bit of comfort (I really enjoy the normal campsites but herself was complaining so settled for Pink moon as opposed to not going at all). I'm just wondering how far it is from the car park and the main arena? Is there still a bit a craic here or is it a lot tamer/quieter than other camping areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Hi all,

I've been to the festival a number of times at this stage and always did standard camping. This year we decided to go to Pink Moon for a bit of comfort (I really enjoy the normal campsites but herself was complaining so settled for Pink moon as opposed to not going at all). I'm just wondering how far it is from the car park and the main arena? Is there still a bit a craic here or is it a lot tamer/quieter than other camping areas?

A lot tamer, get as close as you can to the paintball entrance and it’s a handy trek to PM.
    Has its own gate into the arena, but that closes early enough once the main acts are finished, otherwise it’s a stroll through Salty dog and past Hazelwood,and that might mean you never get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

anyone any experience with the aldi €40 4 man dome tent?
    i assume it will fit 4 tiny people at best!?
    would 2 adult and two kids get in it (one is tiny, the other is 12)
    A friend is coming to kaleidoscope with my lot
    and its probably the only time they'll use it in reality

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Favourite EP opening acts,. On whatever stage.

Roadhouse Doors on the Salty Dog were a real buzz last year. New to me but won't miss them in the same slot if on again.

Grandaddy in 2012. Anazing. Get 'em back.

Michael Nymam Orchestra on the main stage sometime back in the day. A real treat though puzzling for punters who'd just wandered by.

Waterboys on main stage circa 2009. Rarely a bad show from that crew.

Aphex Twin in the Electric Arena 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Roadhouse Doors on the Salty Dog were a real buzz last year.

Totally agree with the Roadhouse Doors at The Salty Dog... the cans of beer were still cold at that stage too... hope nothing changes with the salty dog this year...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I actually really enjoyed ash on the Friday last year

Roadhouse Doors on the Salty Dog were a real buzz last year. New to me but won't miss them in the same slot if on again.

Michael Nymam Orchestra on the main stage sometime back in the day. A real treat though puzzling for punters who'd just wandered by.

NOOOOOOOOOO! 2019 will be grand enough :)

Favourite opening acts

Hayseed Dixie on the Sunday main stage 2008, was hungover to hell and they brought me right out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

You simply can’t beat Roadhouse Doors at the Salty Dog in the sunshine with a bag of cans. The perfect Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Really enjoyed Ride a couple of years back, but These charming men and then The roadhouse doors have been great.
    Maybe it’s the cold cans at the Salty dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Not sure if they were first on but Harvest Moon kicked things off for me in 2017 on the Trailer Park stage on the Friday afternoon and were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Rfrip wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed ash on the Friday last year
    My first ever big concert was Therapy? Supported by Ash in the point, it was great to see Ash again + Prodigy and garbage 2018 was a real throw back year for me...

• Advertisement

Someone said earlier that all the ECO spots were taken up by the early entry, but It doesnt open until Friday 9am.

I arrived in ECO at about 2pm last year and it was difficult to get a spot that our tent would fit into. We pitched, I had a can in hand but the tent was sticking out about 6" past a wooden post, we were advised to move due to "fire access min width" which is fair enough, but man that was difficult...

I'm considering early entry this year, maybe pitch in reg camping then move Friday morning. Anyone done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

The ECO campsite is open on Thursday at 4pm.

The Booka Brass Band in Other Voices has been my weekend opener for the last few years. Cold cans definitely need in there when it is packed.

I'm guessing The Salty Dog will be the place to be this year. ... Especially if I go down Thursday night.

The ECO campsite is open on Thursday at 4pm.

Was it open at 4 last year? Web site says early entry not open to ECO or family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Doesn't really matter who the band is the opener is always great but have to say the Roadhouse Doors last year were great start to the weekend. Also met stillill for the first of many times that weekend. Roll on this year's festivities.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Was it open at 4 last year? Web site says early entry not open to ECO or family.

Looking back at the Facebook page, it seems so. We didn't get there until about 2 on Friday and spaces away from the Rave were hard enough to find.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Not sure if they were first on but Harvest Moon kicked things off for me in 2017 on the Trailer Park stage on the Friday afternoon and were fantastic.

Ah yes. An omission on my part. They were superb.

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter who the band is the opener is always great but have to say the Roadhouse Doors last year were great start to the weekend. Also met stillill for the first of many times that weekend. Roll on this year's festivities.

Stillill42. There are multiples of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Gentlepeoples, I Feel I must apologize most profusely as I have been most remiss in my duties of late.

89 sleeps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Gentlepeoples, I Feel I must apologize most profusely as I have been most remiss in my duties of late.

89 sleeps

Apology accepted....don’t let it happen again :)

Advertisement