Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Stillill42. There are multiples of them.

Would the real stillill42 please stand up please stand up.

Gentlepeoples, I Feel I must apologize most profusely as I have been most remiss in my duties of late.

89 sleeps

Thanks scruff this year flying by. At the moment my focus is on 6 sleeps till the cure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Anyone following the craic with fever pitch festival this evening? Had to cancel the full Sunday program because of the weather after earlier delaying till 7pm. Waterboys got cut short last night too.

Pity for the organisers and of course the people who had tickets. The roisin are doing a free Gavin James show presumably to make it up to some people.

Anyone at it last night? Had a decent enough line up to be fair, bit of everything. To be fair an airport wouldn't be the best venue for a festival, very exposed to the elements and generally bland looking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

endainoz wrote: »
    Anyone following the craic with fever pitch festival this evening? Had to cancel the full Sunday program because of the weather after earlier delaying till 7pm. Waterboys got cut short last night too.

Pity for the organisers and of course the people who had tickets. The roisin are doing a free Gavin James show presumably to make it up to some people.

Anyone at it last night? Had a decent enough line up to be fair, bit of everything. To be fair an airport wouldn't be the best venue for a festival, very exposed to the elements and generally bland looking too.

Yeah similar to the Forbidden Fruit weather in 2017, there is so much happening around the country this weekend, FF, Dun Laoghaire, Rory Gallagher, Oakfest, Mother in Galway and Vantastival among others. Trying to save money myself for Body&Soul and avoiding all these deliberately.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Yeah similar to the Forbidden Fruit weather in 2017, there is so much happening around the country this weekend, FF, Dun Laoghaire, Rory Gallagher, Oakfest, Mother in Galway and Vantastival among others. Trying to save money myself for Body&Soul and avoiding all these deliberately.

You can add the Dolan's gigs in the docklands to that list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

endainoz wrote: »

Was there last night for the Waterboys. Got 3/4 great tracks before they were taken off. Mainly drizzle and light rain during the evening but intensively worsened when we were leaving.

Decent-ish sets from The Stunning & Aslan (acts with not enough good tunes IMHO) as well as some entertaining tribute bands. Missed Hothouse Flowers, The Dubliners & some local bands.

Not many food or drink choices, a bland site and it's an unadventurous festival. However it's just down the road and the only outdoor stuff we have during the Summer bar the Arts Festival (some impressive stuff there again this year).

And no fan of Gavin James but nice to see him do a freebie at the Roisin for those who missed him at the airport.

What was your highest level moment at Electric Picnic, your most emotional high, I think it was the Chemical Brothers in 2007 for me, until that casualty happened and Iggy Pop and the Fcuking Stooges on Sunday, I remember Iggy introducing himself and the Stooges as, 'We're Iggy Pop and the Phucking Stooges.' ;)

Both mine were from 2010 on the Saturday, first was Damien Dempsey singing auld triangle with The Frames and Liam o maonlai, then shortly after them, getting to catch the end of Sea sick Steve in the salty dog. Some craic was had that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The first time chic played a couple of years ago in the electric arena. It was just pure joy

Didn’t realise I would see them 538 times since then of course!

What was your highest level moment at Electric Picnic, your most emotional high, I think it was the Chemical Brothers in 2007 for me, until that casualty happened and Iggy Pop and the Fcuking Stooges on Sunday, I remember Iggy introducing himself and the Stooges as, 'We're Iggy Pop and the Phucking Stooges.' ;)

Arcade Fire in 2005 were astonishing. The crowd did more than their bit, roaring every line of every song back at them. Incredible atmosphere and the dawn of a major musical act.

My Bloody Valentine in 2008, their homecoming. Blew the Electric Arena to pieces, Nick Cave & co sidestage grinning away. See also the long overdue return of That Petrol Emotion the following day.

Wilco in 2008. Been waiting for a while for my fave band to play EP. Warm feelings seeing them on the main stage. A possible rerun in three months?

Portishead & Beck in 2014. Nice to finally welcome them to Stradbally. And neither disappointed.

• Advertisement

The Cure 2012, unreal set for a festival, James Vincent Morrow 2014 (I think) one of those gigs where both band and crowd up for it, otherkin 2016 and st Vincent last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What was your highest level moment at Electric Picnic, your most emotional high, I think it was the Chemical Brothers in 2007 for me, until that casualty happened

Did that stop the concert or was it just over, It happened just a little bit in front of me, remember saying to the lads I just going to sit on the chairs behind us, they came to sit on them as well. Didn't mention the commotion to them as thought I was imagining it just like the chairs.

Did that stop the concert or was it just over, It happened just a little bit in front of me, remember saying to the lads I just going to sit on the chairs behind us, they came to sit on them as well. Didn't mention the commotion to them as thought I was imagining it just like the chairs.

No. Ambulance came through the crowd then took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    No. Ambulance came through the crowd then took off.

Yea I remember the ambulance it was right in front of me. I didn't think it was really happening though..

Rfrip wrote: »
    The first time chic played a couple of years ago in the electric arena. It was just pure joy

Didn’t realise I would see them 538 times since then of course!

Wow! That's a decade ago now, I opted for Madness who were alright, although they were much, much better in 2017.

Yea I remember the ambulance it was right in front of me. I didn't think it was really happening though..

Yeah I initially thought the ambulance was some remote laser pod for the Chemical Brothers show but it was jut me fired up on md at the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Wow! That's a decade ago now, I opted for Madness who were alright, although they were much, much better in 2017.

A decade?? Jesus!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Was it open at 4 last year? Web site says early entry not open to ECO or family.

It definitely was, as we arrived on the Thursday at 3.30pm and had our tent up in the Eco by just after 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

rubick wrote: »
    It definitely was, as we arrived on the Thursday at 3.30pm and had our tent up in the Eco by just after 5pm

Deadly thanks for the confirmation...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Was it open at 4 last year? Web site says early entry not open to ECO or family.

The Electric Picnic website says its not open on Thursday, but the BYEco Camping page on Facebook says they are open from Thursday 4pm, so I would believe them.

• Advertisement

Best run of Picnic acts?

For me the Friday night in 2012:
    Grandaddy, Grizzly Bear, Gavin Friday, The Maccabees, Mark Lanegan & Sigur Ros.

Though possibly topped by The Cure & Orbital the following night who possibly played twice as long as the above combined.

Will we get such lineups again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I think it's safe to say you have a far better memory (or maybe a written record!) of Picnics past than I do Seathrun66!

I can remember my favourite sets but I wouldn't even be totally sure of what night of the weekend they were on, let alone the order!

But, I do remember an absolute belted of a double header on Body & Soul where Tune Yards and Young Fathers played one after the other. Still my favourite to this day. Spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Portishead and that glorious Sunday afternoon with Jurassic 5 are definitely up there with the highlights of any festival I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Thank you! Will get me through till lunchtime in work today :)

I think it's safe to say you have a far better memory (or maybe a written record!) of Picnics past than I do Seathrun66!

I can remember my favourite sets but I wouldn't even be totally sure of what night of the weekend they were on, let alone the order!

But, I do remember an absolute belted of a double header on Body & Soul where Tune Yards and Young Fathers played one after the other. Still my favourite to this day. Spectacular.

That string of acts always stuck in my mind as so strong and my fave start to EP. Though run close by the Sat of 2005 with Goldfrapp, JJ72, Arcade Fire, Royksopp, Doves & Kraftwerk. Kinda spoiled back then.

But don't ask me about other years. Booze & age has done its work on the memory faculties.

And yeah, that B&S double was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

An outstanding festival memory.

An outstanding festival memory.

Agreed. And it seems like every boardsie was there. A missed opportunity for our first meet-up.

Best run of Picnic acts for me still has to be 2005, main stage on Sunday afternoon, the Herbaliser doing an amazing set followed by Toots & the Maytals, first time seeing them and being blown away followed by LCD Soundsystem amazing. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the end of the night :)

That was amazing years for EP, it became known as the 'acts that didn't play Oxegen' festival, although later there was some crossover. 2014 and 2015 were other great years too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

Somewhat surprised All Together Now is completely sold out according to the website, suppose it is only two months off.

Advertisement